• Published 2nd Dec 2017
  • 1,176 Views, 9 Comments

Glowing Embers - Sun Aura



Sunset Shimmer, a talented Unicorn, is now alone and without Magic in another Dimension. Leaving everything behind, she tries to start anew. But, can she do that without anyone who truly knows her?

  • ...
1
 9
 1,176

A Band of Matchmakers

With the end of the school year fast approaching, the upperclassmen had started going nuts with what Sunset liked to call ‘Prom Fever’. All any upperclassmen could talk about was finding their dress and their date and what limo they should use. Of course, the Freshmen and Sophmores paid no mind.

“Why do they call it the ‘Spring Fling’?” Flash asked.

“Probably to match ‘Fall Formal’,” Brawly said through a mouthful of chips.

“I think he meant ‘why don’t they call it Prom like everyone else?” Thunder said.

“Because CHS is Extra like that,” Sunset answered, posing dramatically for effect.

“Good point,” Flash agreed.

“So, you two planning on going next year?” Brawly asked. “Or you could try and sneak in this year, but that seems more trouble than it’s worth. Then again, the whole thing does.”

“What, not one for prom season?” Sunset teased.

“Not all of us have a date you know,” he stuck his tongue out at her. “Thunder, back me up here. You wouldn’t go to prom unless you had a date.”

“Yeah, a date would be nice,” Thunder answered, somewhat distracted.

Focusing closer, Sunset saw what had him distracted. She smiled at the way Thunder had glanced to Flash when a date was mentioned. She smiled wider when he noticed her looking at him.

He looked a bit terrified. Sunset under stood. After all, she was ‘the girlfriend’. But still, with that same smirk, she gave a small nod to him and lightly jerked her head in Flash’s direction. Thunder’s face turned red and he buried his head in his hands.

“Any idea what they’re on about” Brawley asked.

“Nope,” Flash answered.

Sunset rolled her eyes, but smiled to herself at the idea. Perhaps she could play matchmaker.


Summer vacation had started perfectly. Sunset and Flash hung out, driving around wherever. Most days they’d take Sunset’s motorcycle, but if Brawley and Thunder happened to be along, they’d take the car Flash had gotten. Even if Sunset and Brawly teased him about his choice of decals.

She’d spend time at Flash’s house a lot. Goldie and Bramble were wonderful people. They’d taught Sunset to play guitar and piano, and she questioned why she never tried it when learning how to work fingers.

Flash got the idea to start a band. After all, both he and Sunset could play guitar, Thunder was on bass, Brawly was epic with drums, and the four of them were decent singers. Why shouldn’t they start a band? The real question was band names.

“It should be a pun on one of our names,” Brawly said. “What about ‘Flash Drive’?”

“That’s the best pun you could come up with?” Thunder raised an eyebrow.

“Come on, man,” he groaned, flopping onto the couch. “Flash’s the guitar guy so he’ll get the attention anyway, and there’s not a lot of puns I can think of with ‘Flash’ in it that don’t involve a dick joke!”

“Besides, it doesn’t fit our aesthetic,” Sunset said. “’Flash Drive’ would be good if we were a bunch of nerds.”

“I’m with Sunset on this one,” Flash said. “She’s the closest thing to a nerd we have so..”

“Hey!” she pouted.

“Remind me what you got on your final exam scores?” he teased.

“What about ‘Thunder Flash’?” Brawly suggested, ignoring their bickering. “That sounds more badass.”

“It only uses half the band members though,” Flash said.

“And it sounds like a fanfic thing,” Sunset said. “You know, ‘ship names’ and all that.”

It probably didn’t help that she gave Thunder a smirk when saying that. The poor boy got so flustered that even Brawly managed to catch on. Brawly raised an eyebrow at Sunset, before glancing between the other two. She only shrugged and nodded, while he joined her in an almost maniacal grin.

“Come on,” Brawly said, getting up and putting an arm around Thunder. “I think it’s a great name. Sure, it’s little fanfic-y, but come on. It’s a badass name.”

“You know, it’s starting to grow on me,” Sunset added, sliding up to his other side. “Sounds like a great idea. Really, I say we ask and see how it goes. Can’t hurt to try, right?”

"I am going to murder you both," Thunder whispered.

“I feel like I’m missing something,” Flash sighed.

Sunset and Brawly both shared a look, trying not to laugh. That was another thing she’d learned about Flash. His obliviousness was an enigma of sorts. So often he was the first to spot something, see the little details and put puzzles together, not to mention his reaction time. Yet there were moments like this where no amount of not-so-subtle hints could get things across.

And while both knew they could probably save a good bit of hassle later on, Sunset and Brawly also knew that you’re not supposed to be blunt here.

“Nope,” Sunset shrugged. “You’re not missing anything other than a nice band name.”

“Let’s- let’s just pick an actual name!” Thunder insisted. “No more name play!”

“Fine,” Brawly conceded. “Still don’t think we’ll come up with a better name.”

Before anyone could think of a suggestion for another idea, four phones rang at once. If it had been only three, then Sunset might not have questioned it. However, there were only five people who she knew had her number, and three of them were in this room.

“What kind of text is that?” Sunset frowned, looking at the unnamed number.

“A weird one,” Flash agreed.

“It’s Pinkie,” Brawly said, already messaging back.

“Pinkie like Pinkie Pie?” Thunder asked.

“Yep,” he nodded.

“How does she have my number?” Sunset wondered.

“Or mine?” Flash added.

“She has everyone’s number,” Brawly shrugged. “Honestly, when it comes to Pinkie, the less you question it the better.”

“Okay, but what does her text mean?” Sunset asked, programming the number into her phone to prevent future confusion.

“She says it’s a band name suggestion,” he answered.

“How does she even know we’re-?” Flash began, before stopping and rubbing his face in exasperation. “You know what? Never mind.”

“Okay, but ‘Knights of Dawn’?” Sunset raised an eyebrow. “Not to be self centered, but shouldn’t it at least be ‘Knights of Sunset’ or something, considering me?”

“What happened to no more nameplay?” Thunder sighed.

“Maybe it’s ironic?” Brawly said.

“Or someone told her about Flash’s Pegasus dreams,” Sunset muttered.

“Kind of hope not,” Flash said. “But honestly, it’s kind of the best suggestion yet.”

“So, are we actually using that as the name?” Brawly asked, waving his phone. “Because Pinkie thinks we are and is planning to celebrate that once we have our first actual performance. And by that I mean she’s asked me if we could play for a party she’s putting together at the end of the summer that would probably be good for telling people we’re doing this so...”

Author's Note:

Fun fact: Sunset is very straightforward with her flirting, so 90% of her 'romance time' is spent helping her friends flirt with someone.