• Published 2nd Dec 2017
  • 5,678 Views, 316 Comments

Twilight In Plain Sight - Mitch H



Twilight and her orphaned niece are starting a new life in a new town, as far from Flurry Heart's monster of a grandfather as they can get. But as far as you might run, you can't run away from you. Especially when magic's involved.

  • ...
14
 316
 5,678

The Corpse At Every Funeral

Twilight's eyes darted around the shadowed parking lot, searching for threats, for knives, for cultists waiting for them to find the body, for –

Nothing. She reached behind her, grasping for Skyla.

"Stay right there, and keep an eye behind me, sweetie. Don't go anywhere."

Dusk Shine turned off the flashlight app, and brought up 911 on the phone, scanning her forward arc, keeping an eye on the shadows over by the two passages out of the back of the parking lot – the one leading out onto a well-lit alley, the street-lights showing no shadows of anyone lurking just out of sight; the other the drive-way that wrapped around the back of her apartment, separating their building from the funeral home itself. She couldn't see around corners, damnit.

"Hello, 911?" Dusk tried to force as much of her panic and fear into her voice. This needed to sound authentic. 911 calls were recorded. "I need the police. There's a body here! Ah, yes, 112 Woodsdale Road, the back parking lot."

"No, damnit, this isn't a prank! I'm not talking about a goddamn viewing! There is a man with his throat slit on my Harmony-forsaken front steps! Get the FUCKING COPS HERE! Oh, Skyla, I'm sorry honey, don't look, don't look – get them over here! Old Town, between the alley and the funeral home, yes! Ah, Dusk Shine. I live here, it's my apartment. Uh-huh. Yeah."

Dusk Shine ended the call, and dropped the act.

"Any movement back there, Skyla?"

"We're attracting a couple guys now. Game faces, Mommy."

"Face the garage, I need to take the lead."

Dusk Shine pocketed her phone, passed her mace to her right hand, and pulled Skyla to the left. They rotated ninety degrees, just in time for Dusk to face the Probie as he approached along with two other rough men in leather outlaw drag.

"Dead body!" squeaked Dusk Shine, playing the naïf as hard as she could. "Just called 911! Is he one of yours? No! Don't touch it! Cops will be here – I don't know, how fast do they move around here?"

"It's Old Town, the jail and the courthouse are here. They'll be here in seconds. I don't recognize him." The Probie had an actual steel-case pocket flashlight he was playing over the slumped corpse. "Not a Horseman. That's bad. Dumb Bell, go warn Wind Rider we've got a shit-storm. Mr. Crate – I think we need Thunderlane."

The two looming hulks looked down at the Probie, and Dusk Shine got the distinct impression that they didn't think the younger man had the authority to be ordering them around, but just as they were about to give him what for, a chaos of police lights heralded an imminent deluge of constituted authority over the scene. The older of the two hulks cursed, and grabbed the younger and they both scurried off at a double-step, while the Probie stood to attention and turned to face the oncoming police cars.

Skyla never moved from her post at the small of Dusk Shine's back.

As the police turned their spot-lights on the scene, Dusk Shine put away her mace, and took her phone back out, and hit one of the pre-loaded numbers.

"Hello, Miss Seed? It's Dusk Shine. We have a serious situation here. Yes. Yes. Police matter. There's a body. I'll do my best, yes." The Probie had shot Dusk Shine a look as she chose to make a call rather than engage the oncoming police, but was distracted by the second pair of cops as they tackled him and pushed his face into the asphalt.

Dusk hung up on Poppy Seed as quickly as she could, and turned towards the first pair of cops, one of whom was gawking at the crime scene, and the other of whom was painting the whole of the parking lot with a spastic flashlight, making the shadows dance and flit around like a riot of darkness being hosed down by tear gas.

Skyla had shifted around to Dusk's right, and was hiding her face in the fabric of Dusk's pantsuit jacket. Dusk Shine hugged her daughter tightly into her side and did her best to stay out of the drama. Her civic duty had been completed, and she badly needed to be seen not being involved.

As more and more police swarmed into that increasingly crowded parking lot, she let a female cop and that cop's partner move her and Skyla to a cruiser, where she pushed Skyla deep into the back seat, where they wouldn't be able to talk directly to her daughter. Dusk Shine took their questions, and did her best to limit her responses to head-nods, and brief, thoroughly public-knowledge acknowledgements such as 'that is my apartment' and 'just getting home from dinner' and 'work before that' and 'the elementary school over on Fin Street'.

It took Poppy Seed an hour to appear. As it was, she still beat the crime-scene techs. Dusk Shine had begun to suspect that Dashville didn't have any on the payroll. Especially once she spotted a pair of awkward-looking uniformed cops getting a set of forensic kits out of the back of another cruiser, pulling on their latex gloves.

The deputy marshal sidled up to where Dusk Shine was sitting in the back of the cruiser with her feet on the parking-lot asphalt. The Probie had been hauled away a half-hour ago, and the local cops were mostly just milling about, making a big production out of rolling out the yellow police-tape around the numerous entrances to the parking lot. The funeral home director was arguing loudly with a watch commander over on the far side of the front porch of Dusk Shine's landlady's building. The front porch where the other inhabitants were clustered, gossiping furiously as they stared daggers across the parking lot at Dusk.

Why couldn't we have gotten rooms inside the front half of the building?

"What was the first thing they told you, Miss Shine?"

"Don't come into contact with the police."

"Don't attract the attention of the police, right. Does this look like not attracting attention?"

"I'm trying to stay as far out of the way as I can. Miss Seed, they dropped a body on my stoop."

"They? Who they? Did you see anything?"

"Do I have to see anything? It's a body. On my front steps!"

"Might not be anything to do with you."

"What are the odds of that, I looked up the crime statistics when you all told me where I was going. There hasn't been a murder in this county in five years!"

"Well, no famous ones. You have to check for manslaughter in the stats, Miss Shine. Actually is about two or three a year."

"I'm not talking about bar fights!"

"How do we know this isn't a bar fight?"

"I couldn't even tell you where the nearest bar is from here. Maybe down in the Switching Yards?"

"Good to hear you've been staying away from unsavory elements, Dusk. Oh, well. It's not as bad as it looks."

"It better not be! The school will fire me!"

Poppy Seed smiled down at her charge. "That's good. You're better than I hoped. Keep that up. Offended schoolmarm's a good look. It'll fly. Especially if it turns out to be what you're afraid of."

"If it's what I think it is, you have to move us. How could we be blown already?"

"You can't be, the only way they could have found you already would have been if you had a Crystaller cultist hiding in your rear trunk when you drove out east."

"Beetles have their trunks in the front."

"Don't be pedantic. Unless you killed him yourself, this doesn't have anything to do with you. And we're not moving you. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to move a family?"

"Some idea, yes. And I've spent the last month working like a dog, digging into this town like a tick. All that effort…"

"Don't go looking for trouble, Dusk. If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you."

As they stared at the scene, one such trouble found its ditch, as the watch supervisor hot-footed over to the two uniforms with forensic kits approaching the body. The argument was brief but spectacular, the giddy neighbors, resigned funeral home employees and grim-faced outlaw bikers forming a fascinated if mixed audience. Poppy Seed turned so that she wasn't facing the scene or the crowd of onlookers. At least she hadn't arrived wearing her sunglasses at night this time.

"I don't want to be too obtrusive with all of these curious eyes on us. As far as anyone's concerned, I'm your friend. Your indeterminately professional friend from I don't know – Roanoke?"

"You got here too fast. Abingdon or Bristol."

"Abingdon it is. Lawyer?"

"Do you want to get roped into representing me?"

"True enough. CPA then. If anyone asks who isn't high-ranking police. We're in a city here, by the way. You'll be dealing with city cops."

"No, really?" Dusk Shine looked significantly down at the cruiser, whose doors were prominently emblazoned with the City of Dashville's municipal seal and proclaimed, proudly, DASHVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT – TO PROTECT AND SERVE.

"Yeah, right, OK," Poppy Seed conceded. "How's the kid?"

"Napping. It's been a busy day." Actually, Skyla was faking it, curled up but still vigilant, Dusk Shine could tell. But she didn't want to air family business in front of the bureaucrat.

"Maybe we ought to see if we can't get you a motel room for the night. You won't be getting inside for hours at this rate."

And just as Poppy Seed had started nonchalantly inching towards the watch commander, who was bent over his phone and yelling at someone, the CSI people came trotting around Dusk Shine's cruiser, arms full of equipment, and faces red with embarrassment and exertion. They wore cheap jackets with 'Dashville Police Forensics Unit – Solving Crime Through Science' indifferently printed in large, block letters across their backs.

The watch commander looked like he was about to tear a stripe off of both of the extremely overweight, gormless-looking forensic techs. Eventually the watch commander wound down, and let them do their damn jobs. Poppy Seed had drifted back to stand beside where Dusk Shine sat in the cruiser, and leaned back against the car to watch the dramedy. The deputy marshal was as much a part of the gathered audience at this point as anyone else.

The show went on, as the lab techs struggled into their gloves, and then started taking photographs. Eventually, they waved the two already-gloved uniformed cops to pick up the body, and move it into a body-bag and, presumably, into the gurney two EMTs had unfolded from an ambulance now double-parked in the increasingly crowded street. As the cops turned the body over, Dusk Shine could see the patches on the back of the corpse's riding jacket.

Club de motos Salvajes.

Los Salvajes.

Sombra had used a Salvajes chapter back in Crystal City for muscle. Not for the killings, that had been the cultists, but the street business. And the crystal molly distribution.

Dusk Shine looked up at Poppy Seed. The deputy marshal was no longer looking at the body, she was looking down at Dusk, scanning her face, her expression.

"What? What's the problem now?" asked the deputy marshal. "That's a good thing, isn't it? Last thing we need is the local MC up in arms about another dead biker. That's certainly not the cut of a local gang. Where is Venus, I wonder?"

"Texas," growled an older, male voice from over the deputy marshal's shoulder. Dusk Shine couldn't see who was talking. "About halfway between Waco and Dallas."

Poppy Seed stepped away from the cruiser and turned around, alert and suddenly dangerous. Dusk Shine could see the outlines of Seed's service weapon's holster in the small of her back, the deputy marshal's hand resting with one finger hooked around a belt-loop on her pantsuit near the holster's draw.

After Seed stepped out of the way, Dusk Shine could see the speaker. Tall, fat, black. Big bristling grey beard, bald. Wearing very worn, heavily patched riding leathers.

"Well that sounds specific," said Poppy Seed in a deceptively friendly tone of voice. "You familiar with the area?"

"We're going to be burying my friend's son tomorrow because a fucking Salvaje murdered him down that way last week. And it looks like they're not done fucking with us."

"Well, that doesn't sound great, Mister…?"

"Thunderlane. I'm the Dashville chapter's sergeant at arms. And you smell like a cop. I don't recognize you, you're not with the city. What agency? And can you get me my probationary member back? Some of the local badges decided to arrest Flash Sentry for wearing our colors in the vicinity of a dead body."

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help with this chapter to Oliver, Shrink Laureate and the general Company.