• Published 2nd Dec 2017
  • 5,685 Views, 316 Comments

Twilight In Plain Sight - Mitch H



Twilight and her orphaned niece are starting a new life in a new town, as far from Flurry Heart's monster of a grandfather as they can get. But as far as you might run, you can't run away from you. Especially when magic's involved.

  • ...
14
 316
 5,685

No Place Is Safe

It was the morning before the first day of school, and Flurry Heart was tying up the bathroom. Twilight Sparkle needed to get Dusk Shine's warpaint applied, and she'd wanted to get that done before fully dressing in the only good pantsuit she owned. She felt awkward enough wearing the formal clothes she'd worn to the trial for her new job, but until the paychecks started flowing, this was it.

Only Twilight Sparkle would know that the pantsuit she'd used to send a drug kingpin into ultramax was the same suit that Dusk Shine would use to mold the minds of Old Town's youth. But it was enough that she knew, it would be uncomfortable, unavoidably so, really.

"Fl- SKYLA! Hurry up in there, or I'm going to open this door, I swear to Harmony! We're going to be late!"

"Mommy, just a moment, I'm almost done!"

They had to be careful in the parlor and the toilet. The walls were wafer-thin on this side of the apartment, and you could hear the neighbors eating breakfast if you sat there quietly and didn't make any noise to mask them.

The sink started up, and then the door unlocked, and Flurry scurried past Twilight for the front parlor and the TV, a sad, ancient little thirteen-inch that had come with the apartment.

"Keep it turned down, Skyla, they don't want to hear your cartoons!"

"Aw, please, I'm too old for cartoons, Mommy!"

As Twilight got her makeup kit out from under the sink, she could hear, faintly, something that sounded suspiciously like an old TV western.

Only in Applelachia would they have old black-and-white westerns broadcast before 7 AM on a school day…

Twilight finally got Dusk Shine's face on straight, and nodded in approval at Dusk in the mirror.

"Skyla, turn that off and get back here so you can have breakfast! Now!"

"'kay!"

Breakfast for the two of them had been cheap store brand raisin bran and juice, and would be until, again, the money started flowing. WitSec had given Dusk Shine a small stipend for the first few months, but she'd been banking most of that against emergencies. Twilight used breakfast-time to get into Dusk Shine's head, and to grill 'Skyla' on what her kindergarten teacher and peers would be expecting.

"Keep in mind you're going to be at least a half-year older than almost all of them. No bullying, zero tolerance, Skyla. I'm not kidding. You're going to be the big kid in the class, I don't want you attracting negative attention. Think of these kids as your herd, and you're their sheepdog. No nipping, no barking, be a good sheepdog, OK?"

'Skyla' laughed at the image, and replied "Ruff!"

"Good girl. Are you done? Let's wash up."

Skyla was still too short to reach the relatively tall sink in the kitchenette, which was a tiny little pantry-type room separate from the room that held their little kitchen table and refrigerator. But Skyla could hand Dusk Shine the bowls, the spoons, and the glasses, for Dusk to wash and leave in the strainer to dry.

"Good job, now come on out here. Where's your backpack? Uh-huh, uh-huh." Dusk Shine looked through the notebooks and school supplies.

She found one of her X-Acto knives hidden in the box with Skyla's pencils and pens and erasers.

"We've talked about this, Skyla. You can't be carrying at school. That is definitely the wrong foot. Come here, we're going to have to do the full pat-down." And Dusk Shine wasn't kidding, she went over Skyla like a CO turning out a prisoner.

She found a second X-Acto wrapped in a pair of paper-towels and held in the elastic of Skyla's underwear.

"How exactly were you going to sit all day in class with that poking into your back, Skyla? You can't go out in public like this. You will get caught. And you don't need it! This is a safe town. This is a safe place."

"No place is safe."

Skyla had said this in the same even tone she had earlier used during breakfast to announce that a fog was obscuring the view of the neighbors’ lawn and shrubbery outside the window. Twilight felt tears welling under her mascara, and that broke something behind Skyla's hard, too-old face. The little girl's stubborn resistance melted away like an early frost.

"No, no, no – Auntie Twilight, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I didn't mean it, don't do that – your eyegloss will run!"

They put the knives back into Twilight's workings kit, where Skyla had found and 'borrowed' them, and Dusk Shine touched up her mascara.

Dusk Shine locked the front door while Skyla hopped down the three rickety wooden steps to the side-walk beside the funeral home's employee parking lot. There was a roaring noise which hadn't been particularly audible from inside the apartment, but which was oppressively loud once they'd stepped outside.

The funeral home was burning a body in the crematorium. That was something that Poppy Seed had failed to mention when she'd briefed 'Dusk Shine' about their new place – the funeral home had installed a full-service cremation facility inside a one-story free-standing garage at the back of the property, and it was directly opposite of Dusk Shine's front door.

At least it was only emitting steam this morning – the first night it had turned on, it had belched forth a full column of green-yellow flame out of its stack, like some vision of Tartarus to come.

The two walked out to the street as the funeral home's big panel-van pulled into the lot. They turned right onto the street, and then right again at the four-way corner in front of the funeral home, walking the three blocks to the elementary school. They passed Twilight's blue Beetle, which had seen relatively little activity since Dusk Shine and Skyla had settled into life here in Old Town. One of the good points of living in an old town center like this was just how much was in walking distance, even if there were more empty store-fronts and 'for rent' signs than Dusk Shine was truly comfortable seeing.

The morning mist was fading as they arrived at the side-door of the big brick building. All signs pointed to a warm, even hot late-summer day, but the river produced cooling fogs every night they'd been here.

Dusk Shine looked down at Skyla.

"Well, kiddo, it's showtime. Game faces, Skyla."

"Game faces, Mommy."

And they went in.


The first day of school was always a madhouse for teachers, but it was worse for a first-time teacher like Dusk Shine. It would have been different if she'd ever had a chance to be a proper student-teacher, but the crisis had killed that dream deader than Twilight Sparkle's family.

Dusk Shine made do. The kids were kids, and although they could smell panic like dogs or any other pack of social predators, Dusk was too self-collected to project her fears. She struggled through the long, long day with a minimum of public flubs, and simply collected the errors and slips in a mental drawer to be gone through at leisure when there weren't over fifty sets of curious eight and nine-year-old eyes staring her down.

She barely had time to interact with the other teachers during actual class; that came afterwards, during the interminable meetings held by first the principal, and then the head of faculty. The working-groups ate up a preposterous amount of time, and towards the end, she found herself staring out of the nearest window at the dying twilight, then the darkness as true night descended on a work-day that just. Would. Not. End.

By the time Dusk Shine was able to get across the street and pick Skyla up from the equally frazzled Bubble Berry, it was very, very dark out. And Skyla was starving. The streets were full of traffic, loud and a bit scary. There were a lot of motorcyclists around, and Skyla kept close to Dusk as they crossed at the stop sign.

They kept on going down the road into the canyon instead of a left beside the school, and found a popular fast-food restaurant that sat on the nearest edge of the park, over the far side of a modest bridge that crossed both the railroad grade and the river, where the street defined the borders between the Bottoms and New Town. Motorcycles continued to roll out of the alleys that led up into the Bottoms, heading across the bridge and up onto the bluffs, as Skyla tore into a happy meal, and then burrowed through Dusk Shine's leftover fries.

The traffic had died down a bit as they crossed back over the bridge, and struggled up the steep street towards the cross-road back up towards home. Dusk picked up a tired Skyla as they passed the municipal building behind which the city kept its salt supplies and snow-plows. As they paused at the three-way stop at the top of the draw, another four Harleys came screaming up the street behind them, the first bike's horn bugling 'Dixie', and the rear-most bike echoing the tune like a roundelay.

Dusk Shine waited at the stop sign until the cyclists were safely up the hill, and away from Skyla.

They crossed over to the safer side of the street, and she hurried up the sidewalk, keeping to the shadowed side of the walk, beside the rowhouses and their stoops. As they approached her blue Beetle, she noted that the row-house inhabitants had turned off their stoop-lights, but their interior parlor-lamps were all blaring, leaving the sidewalks a strange mixture of shadows and half-light.

An older man was standing at Dusk Shine's car, bending over in a half-crouch beside the right rear tire. He was looking at the back of the car.

Dusk put down Skyla, and waved her onto the nearest porch, where she would be out of the range of any trouble.

"Hello, can I help you?" asked Dusk Shine, her hand inside her purse, tightly gripping a can of 'special' mace. Twilight Sparkle had had to use mace on more than one occasion, and had quickly figured out how to enhance the defensive method by her own, special recipe.

"Nah, I'm good," the old man said as he stood up, and up. "But I'd like to help you if you're interested. I take it this is your car?"

"H-how do you figure?"

"Ain't no pretty young lady like you carryin' a child gonna confront a big ugly guy like me if I weren't lookin' like I was messin' with your ride. Sorry 'bout that." And he wasn't kidding, the old man was even taller than the amazonian Poppy Seed, easily two heads taller than the intimidated Dusk Shine. He was bare-headed, holding a motorcycle helmet in one leather-gloved hand, a stars-and-stripes bandana knotted around his throat. His black biker-leathers were aged almost brown with age and wear, and every square inch of exposed skin that wasn't covered in tattoo-ink was knotted up in the sort of scarring left by inept or careless medical care. "Hello, there, I'm Silver Back. And I love what you've done with this beauty. I haven't seen an old Bug in this sort of shape in almost a decade."

"Thank you?"

"Really, I'd love to work on something like this. You're probably about due for some work on the tailpipe, though. Those things always take babyin'. Boy! Probie! Give the lady our card, ya idjit!"

A shadow detached itself from the next rowhouse's porch, unfolding itself from an unobtrusive crouch. As the figure emerged into the street-light glare, Dusk Shine saw that it was a blue-haired, sallow-faced young man with an impassive expression. Skyla eep'd from the stoop behind Dusk, and scurried deeper into the depths of the porch, away from the new man.

Dusk reached out with a steady hand, and took a business-card from the silent young man, who she could now see was wearing much, much newer riding leathers. She looked over his shoulder, and spotted the motorcycle helmet sitting on the stoop where he had been sitting.

"Th-hank you. Uh, Forge Road?"

"Yeah," rumbled the elder biker. "I run a place down in the Bottoms. We specialize in custom jobs and classic-car maintenance. This town might not look like it this time of year, but we're a hub for the classic-car circuit. Every Father's Day, Old Town fills up with car culture folk, thousands of 'em. All you'd need to do is get it registered, and I'm sure the festival operators will be willing to give a slot in the VW and station wagons section."

Dusk Shine took a deep breath, letting her panic-response pass through her, and back into whatever box it needed to be when she wasn't being threatened. This was not what it had looked like.

"Thank you, I'll definitely take it under advisement. We're new in town, and my car hasn't been in for maintenance for far too long." It was then that Dusk Shine registered the bustling activity further up the block, around the now-crowded funeral home entrance. Motorcycles were parked everywhere, three to a stall. "Is… is there a viewing?"

"Yeah," sighed Silver Back. "My good friend's oldest. Damfool idjit went out west, to find his own way. Came back in a goddamn box. Damndest thing, word was he'd hooked up with a decent family club, getting away from our bullshit, pardon my French. Getting away from the One-Percenters, hah? So much for that."

"We don't know what happened," said the blue-haired 'Probie'. "Could have been anything. Accident."

"Flash, you idjit, you haven't seen the body yet. That ain't an accident. Waco fallout, I figure."

"Everything ain't 'cause ah Waco."

"Enough is, and enough, this nice lady don't need to hear our dirty laundry. Sorry, ma'am. You have a good night."

"Thank you, Mr. Back. My name's Dusk Shine, by the way," Dusk said as she collected a wary Skyla, and started walking up the sidewalk in the direction of the commotion.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Shine. Probie, you go along with these fine ladies, and make sure none of the boys give them any trouble, OK?"

"Yessir."

Dusk Shine and a bristling Skyla swiftly walked the half-block between there and the corner, their biker shadow warding off the extremely rough men clustered around the Wax Brothers Funeral Home's front entrance. The usual formal attire of the 'civilian' mourners in the crowd were heavily diluted by clots of men, young and old, wearing riding leathers so stylized and regimented as to compose a sort of uniform, each with a terrifying sigil on their leather vests, a bat-winged horse's-skull with burning red eyes. The rest of those vest-backs were emblazoned with their club-name, the Steel Horsemen National MC.

There was a great deal of glaring and fuming going on outside of Wax's, but Dusk was somewhat reassured to realize that none of the anger was aimed at her or Skyla. They were just passers-by, innocents – civilians.

The Probie stopped following them as they got to the side-walk that led back to Dusk Shine's apartment, and he gave them a solemn wave as they started back into the parking lot.

The glaring spot-light which the funeral home used to light up their employees' parking lot wasn't on, and Dusk Shine's street-light-dazzled eyes strained to make out her own front stoop. Skyla scurried ahead of her mother, trying to get as far from the angry, whiskered mourners out on the street as she could.

So when Skyla came hurtling back towards Dusk when she was still twenty feet from her front door, Dusk couldn't really see what had spooked her daughter.

Skyla sped behind Dusk, and turned to face whatever she was running from.

"Body!" whispered Skyla, her fingers tightening their grip in the fabric of Dusk Shine's pantsuit-jacket. "Cold! Smells!"

Dusk Shine got her mace can out in one hand, and took out her new smartphone in the other, and fumbled to activate the flashlight app. She cast the weak light from her 'phone onto the front steps and small stoop of their apartment.

A biker was leaning up against the first step of their house. She knew he was a biker, because of the leathers.

She knew he was dead because of the cut throat and the blood-soaked shirt under the leather vest.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help with this chapter to Shrink Laureate and the general Company.