• Published 4th Dec 2017
  • 5,728 Views, 347 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Makes a Coltfriend... Literally - Georg



In order to get more dating experience, Twilight Sparkle decides to create her own romantic companion for practice. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
14
 347
 5,728

5. I Need a Montage

Twilight Sparkle Makes a Coltfriend… Literally
I Need a Montage


Once dawn had broken and Nimbus had been removed from one of the Ponyville Bank’s larger safety deposit boxes (which Starlight Glimmer had reluctantly talked Silver Certificate into and paid for), Twilight and her rather odd date took off on an early morning set of practice dates, including breakfast at the cafe, a morning jog, collecting horticultural samples from the edge of the Everfree Forest, and flying practice.

And following right behind in various forms of disguise, were her friends. At least until late in the afternoon, when they all met at Twilight's castle for tea, and a little dutiful peeking through her telescope for any close-up observations.

“He’s doing a really good job with teaching her gliding,” said Rainbow Dash, standing on the balcony and holding a hoof over her eyes to block out the sun. “Nice technique. Good extension. Very little property damage.”

“That’s the problem,” said Starlight with a frustrated huff of air. “Even a Type Six golem shouldn’t have the ability to use a skill they haven’t been taught. You don’t glide like that, and Twilight’s never glided like that. So where did he pick it up?”

Pinkie Pie staggered forward, walking on her hind legs. “Maybe Twilight used her powers to call a pony back from the deaaaaaaad.”

“Naaa,” scoffed Rainbow Dash, “he doesn’t smell like something dead. And you should have seen him squeeze through the bars at the jail. There’s nothing in him but fluff, but he flies like a pro.”

Rarity rolled her eyes and took a sip of tea. “Fluff and enchantments, darling. He acts and reacts perfectly, quite unlike any other golem I’ve seen. Although I’ve never heard of a type six before.”

Starlight eyed the suddenly reluctant unicorn. “I would have thought that was covered in your magical education.”

“I may—” Rarity coughed gently into one hoof “—have been doodling dress designs in the margins of my notebook that day.”

“Hay, even I know what golems are,” said Rainbow with a thrust of her puffed-up chest. “Cloudsdale has a couple of type fours to send into really dangerous cloud formations, but all they can really do is fly around until the storm spits their pieces out, then the eggheads sift through the widgets they had inside to figure out what they hit. The weather bureau had a type five, but it kept running away from the big storms. Something about not wanting to be disassembled. Type sixes…” Rainbow Dash scratched her head. “You know, I’ve never heard of a type six.”

“That’s because its theoretical,” said Starlight.

“No, it’s not,” said Rainbow. “It’s Nimbus.”

“The type of golem is theoretical,” corrected Starlight with a short touch of her forehoof to her horn, much the same as when Twilight Sparkle tried to explain magical theory to Rainbow Dash. “Nopony’s ever been able to make one work before without them breaking down and trying to calculate pi to infinity or something. They’re supposed to be marginally self-aware and learn to the limits of their creation.”

“Beg pardon, darling.” Rarity raised a hoof as if she were being called on in class. “Nimbus is a perfect gentlecolt, and by that I mean he’s a gentlecolt. If I were to make a magical creation to simulate the opposite gender, I would inevitably use my own experiences to shape its reactions. Twilight…” Rarity sighed. “Has a rather distorted awareness of the male of our species.”

After a moment of thought, Starlight hesitantly put forth, “Twilight said she used books on etiquette and flying.”

Rainbow Dash scoffed. “You can’t teach somepony to fly like that from a book.”

“Or act properly,” added Rarity.

“Or cook!” said Pinkie Pie. “He knows all kinds of recipes that aren’t in any of my cookbooks.” She paused with a thoughtful expression that had the rest of her friends all take one step back, just in case. “Wait a minute. Maybe Twilight did manage to snag a ghost. He’s got his own sheet.”

“Please!” said Rarity. “That’s not a sheet. It’s some of my best fabric. Or maybe second-best if you count the coloration,” she admitted.

“It’s not the color that done bothers me about him,” said Applejack. “It’s the consistency. Ah mean he said Twilight used some sort of spell to put together all of his reactions and skills into one personality, like he was some average of all the ponies in the area, but he ain’t average in everything. He’s smart on some stuff and dumb on others, like he was real.” She rubbed her lips with the back of her foreleg and scowled. “Too real. Are you sure there ain’t no dark magic on him?”

Starlight Glimmer shook her head again. “No, nothing like that on him that I could tell. There’s a lot of spells in there, though. Maybe they combine to hide something.”

Spike finished refilling all of their teacups before raising one clawed finger. “She wrote down all the spells she used on all of the forms we had to file, in triplicate. We have copies in the library. You could go through them and find out what she did.”

“That’s a great idea, Spike.” Starlight nudged Trixie. “Come on, let’s go by the kitchen to grab a snack, then go take a look at those forms.”

“What?” Trixie stumbled while being hustled along, only to have Rarity move smoothly up on her other side to assist in the propulsion of the reluctant researcher.

“It’s what a friend would do,” said Rarity. “Besides, maybe we’ll find a spell for you to practice.”

“Other than the teacup spell,” offered Spike. “We’ve got more teacups than I know what to do with.”

“You can never have too many teacups, darling. You never know when somepony drops by for tea, like today.” Rarity refilled the tea kettle, then opened up the kitchen cabinet and was promptly buried in teacups.

- - Ω - -

It was late in the evening by the time the research session bore fruit, which was not quite the revelation they had hoped for. Paper was scattered across the library table, connected by pieces of string, colorful sticky notes, and at least one streamer where Pinkie Pie had attempted to assist.

“I think we’ve got it,” said Starlight Glimmer, scratching away on a last page of notes. “The spell takes Twilight’s memories, and the books she used, and fills in the holes with ephemeral phased skill motes.”

“What?” Trixie looked up from where she had been closely examining a section of the notes with her cheek. “Run that by me again, Starlight?”

“This part, I think, borrows skills the golem needs from anypony nearby. I think.” Starlight squinted at several paragraphs of magical notation. “She mixed it in with so many other spells, I can’t be sure.”

Spike checked his own notes. “So, if the golem needs to bake a cake, it can steal the cake baking skill from Pinkie Pie—”

“Borrow, and only for a brief time, and only if the subject is not using the skill.” Starlight looked at her notes again, then turned them upside down. “I think.”

“You think?” Trixie stood up with a flourish of one hoof. “That creation of Sparkle’s is currently who knows where, lurking in the darkness until it can destroy all of Equestria, and all you can say is you think?”

“They’re up on the castle balcony, waiting for Luna to raise the moon so they can watch stars,” said Spike. “Drinking cocoa. Well, she’s drinking cocoa. He’s sitting there with an empty mug and a clipboard. Like I used to do,” added the dragon in a much quieter voice.

Starlight started to reply to Spike, then took a deep breath. “Let’s deal with the issue. The combination of this many spells could lead to dangerous interactions. Theory can be so much different than practice when mixing spells.”

Rarity cleared her throat. “Whatever you want, Starlight Glimmer,” she said in a flat monotone.

“Um… Yeah.” Starlight rubbed the back of her neck. “Exactly.”

“So we’re right back where we started, and that’s progress?” Applejack dropped her chin down on the table, disturbing a small flurry of colored sticky notes. “You got a funny way of describing stuck.”

“We know the spell is acting odd, and we’ve eliminated a great number of possibilities why.” Starlight Glimmer floated the checklist out of Spike’s grip. “It’s not the library books she used, or the memory imaging, or any one of a dozen other things. It’s this… ‘knot’ here where all the high-order spells interact to bring in his skills and reactions.”

“An evil knot?” asked Trixie, who perked up at the sound of her specialty. “We could just untie it.”

“Not without breaking Nimbus.” Starlight scowled at the several pages of cramped hornwriting. “And if he’s not evil, there’s no way we could ever get this put back together in exactly the same way once it unwound. Anyway, all we have left is to look over the high-order interactions of all of the spells in his creation to see if there’s anything… evil that could result. I wish I had a top-level magical theorist to work this out with, other than Twilight. She already thinks we’re over-reacting.”

“Magical theory egghead, got it!” said Rainbow Dash. “I’ll be right back with Sunburst!” There was a gust of wind that stirred all of their notes around, and Rainbow Dash was out the door and headed north.

“Wait!” said Starlight a few moments too late. “Oh, fudge. Well, I hope Sunburst understands. I’ll just have to apologize once he gets here. Until then, can anybody think of another magical theoretician who might be willing to work on this?”

“A pony skilled in magic theory,” mused Spike. “I think I may have a solution.” He darted out of the library, only to return shortly with a thick book tucked under his arm.

“Starlight Glimmer,” he said with a flourish, placing the book down on the table, “I’d like you to meet Sunset Shimmer, one of Princess Celestia’s former students.”

Trixie looked down at the book with a wide-eyed expression of growing fear. “I didn’t do it!”

Starlight ignored her and opened up the book. “Oh, yeah. I’ve heard of these. It’s one of a set of magical journals.”

Spike nodded and added, “Sunset Shimmer has one too. Whatever you write in one, shows up in the other one.”

“Oh,” said Trixie. “Trixie knew that. She was just testing you.”

Starlight shook her head. “Let’s get to work.”