• Published 29th Nov 2017
  • 5,064 Views, 70 Comments

A Family of Spike - Saro0fdemonz



A simple story about a dragon and his family, or maybe something more. Spike, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, Scootaloo and their kids go about their days in Ponyville.

  • ...
8
 70
 5,064

Chapter 1

Scootaloo groaned as she rolled over in bed, finding a large scaly beast passed out beside her. She chuckled as he lay there on his back, his chest rolling with his gentle snore and a small puff of smoke filling the air each time he exhaled.

She reached over with her hoof to snuggle in close to him, until the sunlight hit her right in the eyes. The sun never reached her unless she was late.

Late.

"SPIKE I'M LATE!" Scootaloo screamed as she jumped out of bed. The dragon cracked open an eye, watching the pegasus panic and fly about the room. He chuckled as she snatched up her uniform and tried to slip into it as quickly as possible.

He let out a sigh and snatched her by her tail, pulling her close. She opened her mouth to yell at him, stopped by a gentle kiss.

"Spike, seriously, now is not the time to..." She began, silenced with another kiss. She pouted, knowing he wasn't going to let her speak until he said his piece.

"Scoots...look at the calendar," Spike whispered. The pegasus glanced over her shoulder at the calendar and let out a nervous chuckle.

"Right...Heh, my bad..." She sighed, leaning into him. There on the calendar was two weeks circled in red, labeled as 'Scoots Vacation'

"Force of habit," she sighed again, sitting down and letting Spike wrap his arms around her.

"Mom? Dad? I-Is everything okay?" a little voice spoke up. Scootaloo jumped and spun, flinging her door open to see her daughter.

"Tempest!" she squealed, pulling the dragon pony into an almost bone crushing hug. Tempest squealed in return, hugging her mother while Spike chuckled at the two of them.

"Everything's fine kiddo. Your mom had a brain fart is all," Spike teased, earning a gentle wing smack to his arm. Tempest giggled, throwing her arms around Scootaloo. Scootaloo rolled her eyes and flicked her wing against Spike again.

"I work hard for Suns sake, so I forgot I had a vacation, big whoop," she grumbled.

"Though, we are late for meeting up with Belle..." Spike sighed as he glanced at the clock. Scootaloo blinked and spun to glare at the dragon but he had already snaked his way past her and through the door.

"Mom, you aren't gonna hurt him are you?" Tempest asked

"Kid, your pops is a full blown dragon. He'll survive,"


Spike let out a sigh as he walked through Ponyville. Scootaloo would have his head later, but this was a good chance for her to have some quality alone time with Tempest. Besides, he needed to check up on Sweetie Belle and another Dragon Pony about town. His daughter Crystal Melody.

His thoughts were derailed as he was tackled to the ground. He could practically feel the smirk before he saw it.

"Zephyr Sassafras Apple! How many times ah gotta tell ya not t' pounce on yer pa?!" Applebloom yelled as she rushed over to them. Spike rolled and gently pinned his son to the ground.

"One day you'll get one over your old man, but not today Zephyr," Spike chuckled, letting the red scaled kirin to his feet.

"I totally had ya..." he grumbled, his frown shifting to a smile as Spike ruffled his green spines.

"Lemme guess, ya'll out t' see Belle?" Applebloom asked, pressing up against his side. Spike chuckled nervously.

"Caught me red handed, huh?"

"Well, ya'll ain't the only one. The two of em jus' got back didn't they? Ah'm sure Belle is happy t' be home, even if its only fer a few days. But ya'll sure Mel is gonna be alright stayin' with Scoots? Let alone Tempest..." Applebloom pointed out.

Spike had come up with the bright idea of having his children stay with their mothers, scared of what might happen if they spent too much time with their father, who had already suffered through several monstrous transformations, all of which had been stopped by mares he cared for.

With this in mind, he figured having them stay with their mothers, the most important mares in their lives, none of them would go through any dangerous changes. It had taken some arguing at first and Spike had to bring up some scars none of them liked to talk about, but they had all eventually agreed.

Spike shifted between the homes of his family every so often to ensure he spent as much time with his children as possible, but still worried what his influence might bring.

Applebloom was the most against this, wanting all of them to share a home together, but Spike just wasn't ready for the risk.

"It'll only be for a week, and then she'll be with you," Spike said glumly. Applebloom shook her head, jabbing his side with her hoof.

"It's been years o' this nonsense Spike...jus' fer once, can't we be a family?" She asked. Spikes heart broke at those words, the drake hanging his head.

"Pop, ma's been workin' pretty hard on that old barn...It's not really the fanciest thing, but it makes a good home, even if fer just a day or two," Zephyr added. Spike turned to face him. His son, his oldest child. He had never had an episode, none of his children had, but he accredited that to his careful system.

A day or two wouldn't hurt, would it?

"We'll ask the others first," Spike caved, Applebloom squealing happily. Spike didn't want to admit it, but Applebloom already knew she had won.


Sweetie Belle smiled as Spike stepped into her home. She wanted it to be THEIR home, but he was so convinced of the dangers of staying too close for too long. Though he had spent plenty of time in dragon country and she hadn't, so she had no real room to argue.

Her daughter rushed to Spike the moment he stepped in the door, tackling him with her little arms. He gently placed his hand on her back, lowering his head to nuzzle her gently. Sweetie Belle watched as the two growled quietly at one another, a bit of dragon interaction she didn't understand. When she asked, Spike explained it was a way of identifying each other.

"We're here too ya know!" Applebloom called out behind Spike. The drake chuckled and stepped aside. Zephyr laid down on his stomach, performing a gentle growl. Crystal hesitated before laying in front of him and returning the sound, the two smiling at one another.

"Ahem, forgetting someone?" Scootaloo butted in. Tempest hopped over to her siblings, adding her own excited growl to the mix, Crystal flinching a bit and calmed by Zephyr who glanced at Tempest. She chuckled nervously and laid down, performing a much gentler growl toward her baby sister who relaxed at the sound.

"Dragons are weird," Applebloom chuckled, sitting next to Sweetie Belle.

"You look exhausted Belle...Do you really gotta go back into business so soon?" Scootaloo asked, sitting beside Spike.

"The show must go on," Sweetie Belle said softly.

"Well t' Tartarus with th' damned show! Yer losin' yer voice Belle...Ya'll need more than a couple days t' recover," Applebloom argued.

"I agree Belle. I make more than enough to support us...I know its your dream but it isn't worth killing yourself over," Spike added, everyone turning to look at him in shock.

"Spike...I..." Sweetie Belle's voice cracked, the unicorn clearing her throat and accepting a cup of water from Applebloom.

"Mama Belle, I think ya should listen to Pa," Zephyr spoke up, his spines pinned back as he watched her struggle to clear her throat and speak.

"I really don't get it, but if all that singing is hurting you then maybe you should stop. I mean, laying on my wings hurt, so I don't do it," Tempest tossed in.

Sweetie Belle looked around the room, tears stinging her eyes as her family gathered around her.

"We're here for you Belle and...well..." Spike swore under his breath, unfurling his wings and wrapping up his children in close, laying down and putting on a smile.

"We're a family. We should be together like one," he said softly.

"Spike, ya mean..." Applebloom turned to him and squealed as he nodded.

"Wait, I'm confused, whats going on?" Scootaloo asked, looking between the two of them.

"Ma convinced pop to spend a few days with all of us in the barn house we built," Zephyr explained.

"Soo...no stupid rules about being apart? How many days we talkin'?" Scootaloo asked, raising an eyebrow at Spike.

"A week at most," Spike sighed, "And...if things work out then...we'll go from there," he continued, gasping as mares and kirin climbed onto him in a family hug.

"Aw c'mon big guy, say it," Scootaloo teased.

"I love all of you," Spike chuckled.