• Published 18th Mar 2018
  • 3,753 Views, 474 Comments

Merry Chestnuts and a Happy New Fleur - Prane



Hearth's Warming is right around the corner, and Chestnut, Fleur, and Fancy Pants intend to make their first holiday as a family the best it can be.

  • ...
4
 474
 3,753

Chapter 9 – Do You Wear What I Wear?

“A necklace,” Sassy deadpanned. “You actually said that?”

“That’s what happened, I promise!” Chestnut assured. “He only said jewelry, but I knew better because I was there. Well, he was there too I guess, but I was closer.” She glanced around the mares, making sure they all listened, and as far as Fleur could tell from her friends’ faces they did, and were delighted. “So then he looks at me and is all like, ‘Hey, how did you know about the thingy, miss?’, and I’m like, ‘What thingy, officer?’ and I point behind them”—the filly shot her hoof over the table—“and go, ‘Watch out, there’s a windigo behind you!’ ”

Rarity and Sassy burst out laughing while Fleur, if with a sincere smile, only chuckled nervously. All’s well that ends well, to an extent. She just hoped that her daughter’s biography won’t be all about her glorious escapes from the peacekeepers. Young fillies like her, or rather ponies in general should stay on the right side of the law. Not for the first time today, Fleur recalled her father who’d hammered respect to the Criniarmures, or “Armored Manes” into her head. The Royal Guard of Canterlot were quite a notch behind those guys in overall competence, but that could have been just the latest events speaking.

“Two on two. It’s obviously a sign.” Rarity wiped a tear of joy. “You will be joining the Royal Guard when you grow up. Ooh, have you seen their ceremonial armors? So imposing yet so elegant! Participating in the parades, standing guard next to the princesses... just imagine it!”

“Please don’t,” Fleur quickly said. “She would score some points with my side of the family, but Fancy and I would be dreading every day she’d put on that armor.”

“That absolutely fabulous set of armor, you meant to say.” Sassy chuckled and took a sip of her cocoa. “I’m with Rarity on this one. There’s something about strong ponies clad in steel that makes me wish I was born in different times,” she added, her eyes dreamy. “Oh, and since we’re on that, here’s an interesting fact I came by doing market research last week: when it comes to jewelry gifts this season, village ponies want to wear regular metals more often. Not gold or silver, just copper, bronze, sometimes plain iron in extreme cases.”

“Why is that?” Chestnut asked. “Don’t they want to look cool?”

“Everyone wants to look good, but sometimes it pays to not look too good.”

“Not in this neighborhood, it doesn’t,” Fleur said.

“I’m talking about villages! Let’s take a pony from Ponyville”—Sassy winked at the fashionista—“but for the sake of me making a point, let’s treat our friend here as a statistical error.”

Shrugging, Rarity helped herself to another roastnut. “So I’m an error. How quaint.”

“A pony from Ponyville,” Sassy continued, “wears a silver bracelet or fancy earrings when she’s visiting Canterlot, but when she’s checking off her day-to-day tasks, she doesn’t want to stand out too much among her friends and family. Not too much, but just a little, which is why she’d like to have something nice and shiny, but at the same time modest and, most importantly, cheap. This is also the primary reason why fashion, or wearing clothes in general isn’t quite ‘the thing’ there yet.”

Fleur clapped her hooves. “Fashion, oui, that reminds me. Rarity, on the invitation you mentioned a dress for New Year’s Eve you’ve been working on?”

Rarity’s eyes shined. She wasted no time summoning a sketchbook and opened it on a simple, but precise depiction of what would undoubtedly become the next Reign in Stain. With glasses at the end of her muzzle, she guided Fleur through the more prominent aspects of the project, her voice slipping into dramatics every so often.

“Oh, I thought you’d never ask! This is something meant to be worn by taller mares, but it can be shortened by taking out a row of chandelier frills here, and here. The lining’s tricot knits, naturally, and this goes around the empire waist but the weight is on the shoulders. Prench seam, a little tribute to Hoity Toity’s last year’s collection. It should be good for dancing and for dazzling the masses through more, shall we say, stationary means.” She pointed at a small, decorative bag meant to be part of the ensemble. “And a minaudière, of course. They’re making a comeback. Right now I’m experimenting with different shapes at the coup and I was wondering if you could open my mind to something… something exquisite, I suppose?”

“Asking a retired supermodel for advice?” Sassy raised her eyebrow. “I thought you were done with working in the fashion business, Fleur.”

“It’s perfectly fine, darling.” Rarity dismissed the claim. “It’s not work if I’m not paying her.”

Fleur took a while to burn through her mental catalogue of every dress she had ever worn. With all that happened lately, she had a backlog on the vogue haute couture, but she could see where Rarity was going. She was about to hint at the next logical step when she felt Chestnut moving closer on the sofa.

The filly’s brilliant eyes sought insight, but were clueless in the tangle of lines and shapes. Fleur knew that fashion wasn’t her daughter’s strongest suit—pun not intended—and that she probably didn’t understand a word of hardcore terminology the other mares were intimately familiar with. Fleur had outfitted her with the basics on which they could build one day should the need arise, but of course there were other important things to cover first. A mental note refresh: together with Fancy Pants they’d decided to think about Chestnut’s further education sometime next month.

Maybe knowing haute couture wasn’t as important as knowing to speak and write properly—oh, who was she kidding, in Canterlot it was equally elementary.

“What do you think, Chestnut? Do you think Rarity has a chance to hit the covers this time?”

“W-why are you asking me? I’m not an expert, mom, you are.”

“The ponies who shop here are almost never experts, but that doesn’t stop them from having an opinion,” Rarity said with minimal wince. “Say, would you wear it to a fancy ball?”

The filly shook her head. “It’s definitely too big for me. You’d have to cut out all four rows of, how do you call them, the chevalier thingies so I could fit it? I think. But of course then the dress doesn’t make sense. I mean, it doesn’t have to, and it is pretty, plus I really like that bag with added jewels. My friend once did something similar during arts and crafts, only that she used those shiny, colorful whatnots… you know, sequences,” she said, somehow ending even more abashed than before. The balance on the sofa changed again when she backed away. “Sorry I don’t have anything smarter to say. I don’t know, uh, what’s popular these days.”

Discreetly but with great reassurance, Fleur squeezed her daughter’s hoof.

“It’s alright,” she said, bringing a crooked smile to her daughter’s face. “How about a triangle? I’ve always had good experience with triangles,” she proposed, but Rarity didn’t look convinced. “Ah-ah, I know what you’re going to say, that it’s a bit too classic, and it is, but consider this…” Fleur draw a shape with her hoof. “Reversed, then. Start small on the coup and cover the forelegs.”

A fresh idea must have started buzzing in Rarity’s head, as evident in her creased forehead. She grabbed a pencil. “Yes, hmm, a little line here, I can see the benefit of full sleeves, but that will leave the flanks utterly exposed for everyone to…” She halted and smiled coquettishly. “Ooh, I see what you’re after, you naughty girl, you!”

Non, that’s not what I—”

“After what?” Chestnut asked.

“Aerodynamics in dancing, of course,” Sassy hastily clarified. “The dress has to stay on your back when you’re spinning, and still look good in every other, uh, position.”

“Alright! Thought so!”

Fleur cleared her throat, recovering after a shade of red that burned her cheeks. She praised Sassy for quick thinking, and she not-praised Rarity—because it would be in a very bad taste to curse anyone just before Hearth’s Warming—for heading into risqué territory as if there were only adults in the room. Didn’t she know that Fleur, as a mother, was supposed to be a role model, at least to some extent? She had always aspired to be considered an elegant and sophisticated young filly herself, just like how her mother raised her. Being a naughty girl was not acceptable in Pearis, and it wasn’t going to pass in Canterlot either.

“Exactly that.” Fleur nodded vehemently. “Being aerodynamic and looking good whatever dance you dance. Isn’t that what you wanted, Rarity?” She emptied her second cocoa and tipped the cup at her friend. “You’ve got your pagoda sleeves for the table, and the rest of nothing for the dance floor. It’s not like anyone’s looking at your hooves when you spin.”

Rarity eagerly agreed. “Point well made! Give me a moment.” Upon finishing a new layer on the sketch, she proudly presented it. “A-ha! How’s that for New Year’s?”

“Padded plumages, Rarity, it will be a hit!” Sassy exclaimed. “I simply cannot wait to buy the next issue of Glacial so we could add it to the collection!” She waved at a row of neat frames hanging by the entrance. Each frame featured a cover of a fashion magazine with one of Rarity’s creations, season after season and year after year. “Hmm. I may also consider updating my letter to Santa.”

“I’m sure Santa will consider it. How about you, Chestnut? Did you write your letter to Santa Hooves yet?”

Fleur held her breath.

“Nope!” Chestnut splayed out her hooves in defeat. “There’s nothing in the world I need. Seriously. I don’t want mom to buy me unnecessary things.”

Phew! One less trial for Team Parents to worry about, and more power to Fleur. There was a chapter in a book she’d once read about telling kids the truth about milk, cookies, and of course toys mysteriously appearing under their pillows. She wished someone she knew had read those parts...

“ ‘Mom’? Whatever do you mean, darling?” Rarity said theatrically. “Those are neither moms nor dads who bring us presents. It’s Santa Hooves, the one and only!”

The filly smiled gently, only the tips of her fangs shining from between her lips. “It’s okay, madam. I know that Santa isn’t real, but it’s fine. I actually found out a few years ago at the Orphanarium. Everyone was asleep but me—I-I ate too much, that was the reason—and I spotted Doc Hugs as he was sliding gifts under our beds. It wasn’t too hard to figure it out, but there were many younger ponies at the Orphanarium too, so I kept it a secret and never told anyone.”

“That’s very considerate of you,” Sassy said. “Personally, I think it’s good to have such a mystery in your childhood. Close your eyes, little pony, here’s a present, then poof! He’s gone!” Her mysterious smile wore off, replaced by a serious face. “Of course eventually time comes when we all have to grow up. Mysteries are solved, the truth is revealed, and childhood ends. Of course it doesn’t mean us adults can’t enjoy it!” She looked around. “Agree? Yes? No?”

“Yes, but for children only. And by your definition, I had no childhood whatsoever,” Fleur remarked gloomily, with a tiny thorn of lifelong regret piercing her. “My dear sister Oriflamme made sure of that,” she added under her breath.

Sassy waved her hoof.

“Trust me, it’s better to become informed early rather than learning it when you’re sixteen.”

“Sixteen? But that’s high school already, isn’t it?”

“Yup.”

“Ouch. Désolé.”

“No worries, it’s still my favorite part of Hearth’s Warming. That, and legally stuffing myself with pie,” Sassy said. “How about you, Rarity? When did you stop believing?”

Having heard enough, Rarity straightened up and took a stand.

“Stopped? Oh, my dear fillies of little faith, I have never stopped!”

The trio looked upon each other, wondering what kind of message Rarity wanted to convey. Certainly she didn’t mean she actually believed in Santa? They could only wonder while the mare was trotting around the boutique, collecting items from multiple departments, caps, cloaks, and whatever was red or white included. She ended up in dressing room with a pile of clothing too large to be put on a single pony. The others watched the waving curtain, anticipating the reveal—all the more obvious considering a jolly all-time classic about making a list and checking it twice Rarity was humming.

“Crimps and corsets!” Sassy said. “Sit back and enjoy, ladies. It appears we’re in for a show.”

Author's Note:

Hello there! Thank you for reading my story. I am no longer writing pony fiction, but if you want to support my current creative endeavor, check out my content on Twitch! :raritywink:
---
What do you get when you put a supermodel, a designer, and a boutique manager in the same room? A chapter filled with fashion terminology, where transforming the good old Do You Hear What I Hear (apparently by someone named Noël Regney) into a related wordplay title was a no-brainer. As always, here’s the next position in our special Hearth’s Warming playlist.

This chapter was the second out of three times when, during writing, I decided to split a larger chunk of the story to keep its length consistent with the rest. Consider it a prelude to a good dose of lore about Santa Hooves - and the arc that will be with us up to the conclusion of this story.