• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 419 Views, 7 Comments

A Lot Can Happen in a Year... - The Lone Doctor



For all intents and purposes, she was in love, hopelessly in love, and yet she was to scared to do anything about it. How can a shy Amish girl hold a relationship with another girl if she can't even figure out how a toaster works?

  • ...
1
 7
 419

Prelude

Marble sighed as she finished reading another portion of the Bible. After so many rest stops, so many hours, and so many days, it almost seemed like she was living in the bus at this point.

So why didn’t her nerves calm down?

She was now long gone from Lancaster county, away from the watchful eye of her parents and their neighbors. The same neighbors she knew all her life. Who took care of her and made sure everyone got along well. Who all sacrificed their time to grow bonds with everyone.

The very same neighbors she wouldn’t be seeing for the next few years at least.

Marble hugged the Bible against herself as she turned to look at the many different people on the bus. From businessmen looking over documents, to women with their crying babes trying to rock them to sleep. Sitting right next to her was an old lady who was knitting. It was funny though, with how packed in everyone was, how small Marble truly felt.

Marble, still tense, quietly and quickly unfolded the letter from Pinkie to read it one more time, and to look at one certain picture. One that always gave her some sort of comfort on this long journey. This picture was one of the few colored photos of Pinkie’s friends sitting around Pinkie’s room in one of her slumber parties. Out of everyone in the group, one person stood out. In the middle, sat a girl with glowing ginger hair, smiling, light blue eyes piercing right into her heart.

With her heartbeat slowing down, Marble turned to look out the window, staring out at the landscape as it flew by. Though she was nervous, she felt like she could at least step out into the world.