• Published 30th Nov 2017
  • 1,725 Views, 36 Comments

The Path of Twilight - RDDash



Twilight Sparkle has a destiny to fulfill, howerver which path will she choose the path of darkness or the path of light?

  • ...
7
 36
 1,725

3: Guardian

A few months back during the nightmare crisis…

A dark smoke slowly started to seep in towards the occupant of the top room of Carousel Boutique. Slowly but surely it entered the mare’s ear. Rarity was having a somewhat pleasant dream with all of her friends on the picnic, that until the scene suddenly changed and the reality of the dream shuttered into million pieces.

“What the hey just happened?” Rarity looked around, her environment slowly started to reform itself, she noticed that she was in some kind of dark room. “Uh, I think I understand whoever designed this room is the distasteful imbecile.”

The room in question was extremely boring from her point of view, it was dark, made of metal or stone, she wasn't sure which it was. The interior design was no better, the room looked like nopony cleaned in it for years “So much dust, this is unacceptable.”

At least we could agree on something, I didn’t use this room for almost three millennia, and without any slaves it very difficult to find a good maid.

“Ew, slaves, how ghastly! Who are you really, and why I am here?”

You are my guest, now stop whining. The voice whispered in slight annoyance, Trust me on this it's going to be a lot easier for everypony if you cooperate.

“I already was forced into slave labor by brutes, I told them that the lady like me just simply aren’t going to be humiliated by them, and I will tell you right now the same exact thing.”

No you idiot I didn't call you here because I require housekeeping … you are a guest. The voice suddenly cut her off, and then suddenly softened. Just forget about this room for a moment. It's been abandoned long ago, and I forgot about it until a few minutes ago.

“Pitty!” Rarity sighed, ”I still don’t know who you are?”

I would be better for you to not to know, besides I think we already met me,

Rarity was confused for a moment, “I am sorry dear, but I don’t think I can recognize your voice.”

You don’t? That's very disappointing to hear. Perhaps I should tell you the story Long time ago I and my sister had been living on our planet, we were happy, our subjects were happy, and then they came on their ships from the stars. They came, they waged war, some of them left their shipwrecks stayed behind. Their relics, no, their artifacts had been mixed with our Equestria and before we knew it it's already too late

“Wait, you are... You are talking about Celestia and Luna, aren't you? They are two sisters in their story but wait, this place… You said that you are the owner of this place...I am sorry dear but there are some things I still don’t understand.”

Shush child, I am not finished yet, at that time two sisters were both young and foolish, however, they were both happy because they were both together. Even when they went against Discord they were both happy.After Discord, there was that imbecile of a King they call Sombra. Those two sisters still didn't fully understand what's going on, and yet they were both happy.

“Because they were both together?”

Yes... After a long silence the voice continued, Before long I was born and then everything changed… No, I wasn't born, that's a bit misleading… I was always been there. I was part of that cursed fleet that came to the Equestria and then and then crashes landed here of all places, I was the one who influenced Discord, Sombra and then Luna to rise up against the light. Even those fools Tirek and Chrysalis was also part of my plans….Do you understand now, do you know who I am?

“Alright, you told me a completely bizarre story but I think I do understand. You are Nightmare Moon, right! So what exactly Nightmare Moon wants with me?”

I want for others to understand. I want them to understand. So I want to use you to help them understand.

Rarity patiently waited for the voice of Nightmare to continue, and so the voice of Nightmare continued.

My sister Celestia grew bitter and jaded, the loss of her sister wrecked her life to the point she started to hate everything that happened. She knew the basics of the eternal conflict between the Light and the Darkness, she just started to refer to all of this as madness between the two. She experienced the loss of her sister, several millennia later she lost her apprentice to the dark side, and then came Twilight Sparkle...

“Twilight, what about her?”

Twilight, as her name might suggest is the miracle child. She has a potential to use both Light and Darkness, however, my sister doesn't wish to anything to do with the Darkness. She would prefer for Twilight to stay exclusively Light and only Light.

“You have to explain to me a few things, but first you said that Princess Celestia started to hate … what are you suggesting?”

Perhaps what I am trying to say is that my sister Celestia is in danger of falling into Darkness, it's really funny actually.

Rarity gasped, “What do you mean by Twilight been able to use both Light and Darkness, isn't it kind of like being good and evil.”

Rarity could feel a slight change in the air around her as if Nightmare Moon was genuinely disappointed. It's not that simple, the truth is a lot more complicated than that. I suppose you could even say that there is no such thing as good and evil, which is true from a certain point of view. However here is the catch. Darkness by its nature is absolute, and the Light is not. Both must exist together and not Individually, therefore it's the will of the Universe, or as some would call it the Force.

Rarity thought she is going to say something else, but Nightmare Moon remained silent.

“What am I supposed to...”

Think fast, long time ago Discord was evil, Celestia and Luna they both were good, then came Tirek, after him Sombra, after him Luna fell, millennia later the apprentice succumbed to the Darkness, after that I return and is defeated by Twilight. Then the old evil returns and gets vanquished by you once again. The balance of power is eventually gets shifted towards the Light, and the Force doesn't like that. Can you make a guess what would happen if you keep continuing reforming the villains?

“What would happen if we continue to reform the villains?” Rarity slowly repeated the question, then she slowly blinked. “But, they were evil, and being evil is….”

Not always wrong, why if anything from a certain point of view all you do is force people to be good, you brainwash them and mold them to behave. To be perfectly obedient, to force them into your pitiful ways. Correct me if I wrong but that would be not only evil but is extremely hypocritical to the cause of your own goodness.

“No, you are wrong!” Suddenly Rarity almost screamed in anger, “Everyone just needs a little something to be themselves to be who they were meant to be kind, generous, sometimes light-hearted, sometimes honest, sometimes true to yourself, and sometimes..., and sometimes…”

Yes... Nightmare asked curiously.

“And sometimes you need a little spark of magic, I hope that someday you will understand it as well.”

Even if it's going to be very dangerous for everyone to stay in this kind of mentality?

“Even if it is going to be that way, ponies are going to stay strong to their believes...” Rarity replied

Fine… Just go…. I release you for now...Nightmare Moon dismissed Rarity and then she vanished from the room.

Rarity felt herself to be pulled back to the reality, and then she looked around herself, she was still in the company of her best friends, she smiled to herself because she felt to be happy in the company of her friends.

Meanwhile in the dark void…

Nightmare Moon materialized herself, she was still in that room, however, she felt tired of the interior of that room, so she slightly changed it. She was now in her old castle of the two sisters that was located on the edge of the Everfree forest. Using her memories she visually restored like it used to be. By luck or by the curse of it Nightmare Moon could see the future as well as the past. So right now with a slight annoyance, she had been observing how the purple alicorn had been running around in her own castle for a few seconds before she end ups right behind one of her maids.

She thought she felt a very familiar presence that by now probably had been here for awhile, so she decided to call her out. “I am surprised that you keep allowing for me to intervene and play with them for my own amusement!”

“Only because I am vigilantly watching you from shadows, and so far I believe you both had a very pleasant conversation, did you not ”

Nightmare Moon flinched, because from her point of view what's being pleasant was actually debatable ”Uh, the watchdog is watching from the shadows.”

Princess Luna completely materialized from the shadows, “Star Daemon!” She hissed through her teeth. ”Don’t you dare...Don't you bucking dare to play your games with me, you ripped me away from my sister all the way back then. You forced my hoof against her and now you created this illusion to just to make fun of me.”

Nightmare Moon snorted, “Believe me back then it was just necessary, both of you just left me with no other choice I had to take what I could and it really commendable how your no our sister Celestia is so dedicated to the Light Side it almost sickening for me to observe.“ Nightmare Moon's smirk grew into the wide grin,”Now look carefully, this is not just the simple illusion designed to mock you, your highness.”

Princess Luna carefully looked around, she saw the interior of the castle. It was the same as it was back then, only this time it was different. The ponies they weren’t the ones who lived thousands of years ago, they were the ones who were currently was alive right now.

“It's not the past that for sure, Star Daemon what is it all of this is about?” Right about when she finished saying it she heard a voice.

“...I don’t socialize with dragons... harrumph. ”

Princess Luna saw how the caricature of Rarity, yes that has to be a caricature. Luna just couldn't believe that Lady Rarity would behave like that.

“Oh well look at that one of my maids hurt little dragon feelings,” whispered Nightmare Moon with a smug grin, she looked at Luna and saw Luna glaring at her. “How furious are you watching at me, my faithful watchdog.”

Princess Luna snorted. “Don't test my patience monster. What trickery is this…answer me, Daemon.”

“No trickery, just watch. Why is everyone so dense sometimes?” Nightmare scoffed. “This is the world of your own fantasy. You always wanted respect and power and admiration of other ponies, and here you have it.”

Princess Luna rolled her eyes, “If you really think that way, then I am really sorry you feel that way.” She then lost interest in what Nightmare is trying to show her and then vanished.

“Oh well, the watchdog is all moody once again,” she materialized a lightsaber and then froze it in mid-air, “I suppose it's time to give you away to your new owner, may she use it well.” With a flick of her hoof, she made everything disappear. A few moment later the lightsaber itself vanished as well “After all, she too went to same exact school for gifted unicorns, and I hate to see gifts go to waste. As they say, lets the games begin.”

Early Morning in Carousel Boutique the light flashed and then the hilt of lightsaber materialized from the thin air and then fell on the floor with the clanking noise. The sole occupant of the room woke up almost instantly, she sighed and then levitated a lightsaber right next to her face, with a small flick of magic she activated, a red beam came on to life.

“A red crystal, how distasteful! Let's see if I can find something better, maybe I can use something similar from my stock of other crystals.”

She stood up, turned off the blade and then put it on the desk. She then trotted downstairs to meet her sister.


“Sister is everything alright, I heard a noise and I thought that something happened?” Sweetie Belle had been patiently waiting for her in the kitchen.

“It's fine Sweetie Belle, something important came up to me, and I just wasn't happy about it.”

Sweetie Belle was surprised “Wait, why?”

Rarity hesitated for a brief moment, “When I was about the same age as you right now I was invited to go to school for gifted unicorns.”

“You went to the school for gifted unicorns, just like Princess Twilight.”

“Yes dear, just like our best friend Twilight, however not long after I dropped out from it.”

“Huh?”

“It was pretty simple decision for me actually, at some point the school made it mandatory for its students to attend the combat class. I myself refused to participate in such brutish practice. I said to those stuffy unicorns “The Lady does not participate in such brutish behavior.” You can imagine their faces at that moment and time, If I didn't know any better I would say that the little girl managed to humiliate them.

“Yeah, that sounds like you Rarity! So did they just let you go just like that?”

“Yes Sweetie, unfortunately for them Princess Celestia was there as well and she said, We can’t force the unwilling to participate if they don't wish it too. Later that day I thought that I saw a small twinkle in her eye, it's like that kind of response she was looking for.”

“That's kind of sounds really awesome you achieved victory by loosing.”

Rarity thought about it for a moment, “I suppose I am. Now then, Sweetie Belle I want you to promise me one thing.”

“What is it Rarity?”

“Don’t play with a weapon in my room, it's not a toy.”

“Of course, after all, a Lady does not engage herself in a brutish behavior, like uncivilized colts would be.”

“Right you are!” Rarity giggled and thought about Rainbow Dash for a second who was a perfect example of an uncivilized brutish behavior.

Later that day…

A bell rung in Carousel Boutique, Rarity put on a smile on her face.It time to meet her first customer.

“Coming! Welcome to Carousel Boutique where every garment is Chic, Unique, and Magnifique.”
She looked to see the pony who was in front of her, turns out it was just Twilight. “What can I help you with Twilight?”

“Hi Rarity,” Twilight smiled back at her “There something I want you to help me with. You see, I kind of want your advice with a concealable fashion accessory.”

“Concealable fashion accessory?” Rarity asked her curiously.

“Yes I came to you because of this,” Twilight showed her a lightsaber that's she been hiding until now. “I never actually paid attention to all the other students at the school, but I believe I heard a rumor about the student who refused to participate. I just never imagined that it was you.”

“Yes, its surprising isn't it. I heard that you passed everything with flying colors. Very well Twilight I will help you with your concealable fashion accessory.”

Author's Note:

Loosely based on Nightmare Rarity comic, so think of this like this way. Discord, Celestia, and Luna are The Ones, and Nightmare Moon is just an outsider from the void, let's call her bored Sith Emperor.