• Published 18th Dec 2017
  • 2,312 Views, 15 Comments

Kitzumi the fox pony. Book one. [Edited] - KittyrinnAiko



A foal goes back in time, and finds herself with no choice but to live in the past.

  • ...
6
 15
 2,312

Take a chance on me.

Sunset Shimmer ran out the door and lept down the steps while holding her new wings out experimentally, and had she not been so preoccupied with her concern for Scootaloo she might have been thrilled at the sensation. These were also brand new ligaments of which she had no experience as to how to control them properly. She touched down a short distance past the steps, and continued to run, as she tested out her new wings. Every now and then she’d lift off the ground where she’d waver from one side to the next in a fashion that resembled a young albatross trying to take off for the first time. She’d nearly made it to the village when she finally felt confident enough, and with a leap, and a downward stroke of her wings soared heavenward.

“This is awesome!!!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she zipped past.

“Have a care you don’t crash and burn!” Sunset shouted at Dash. Dash was all over the sky, and Sunset just couldn't help but wonder what the ponies down on the street who’d seen them were thinking. Especially being every pony who could be spared was likely out looking for Scootaloo. Twilight had been communicating with Sunset, via the two-way books each had, asking what to do about Scootaloo. Scootaloo had locked herself in her room at the foster home following the incident with the flash camera, not eating, and barely drinking enough to keep herself alive. Despite the fact that she was growing new feathers, Scootaloo had convinced herself she was going to be marred for life. Twilight’s last message had been that Scootaloo had run off and everyone was out looking for her. Sunset feared the worst, and she’d only the tip from that little filly with her eyes bandaged to go on. Other than a few cryptic notes, Twilight had told Sunset nothing about the girl. Filly.

:rainbowwild:

Back in the library…

“Well, would you look at me… I’m a pony. An actual pony. And I can talk too. - An actual gosh darned pony!” Applejack said looking herself over. “I’m a gosh darn real-life Mr Ed!”

“I’m so adorable!” Rarity exclaimed looking at herself.

“What is with these ponies?” Miss Pudding asked herself. And who’s this pony that looks like Princess Twilight?

“Hi, I’m Twilight Sparkle. Is Princess Twilight still here?”

“She’s out.” Pudding replied not sure what to make of the present state of affairs. Kitzu informed Pudding that she’d explain, except that the information was probably beyond her pay grade. Which didn’t help one bit. Not one bit.

:ajsmug::twilightsheepish::raritystarry:

Sunset circled around three times and set off in the direction she knew would take her in the direction of Pinnacle Point. It was a long way if Scootaloo had gone that way she’d been gone a lot longer than any pony had realized, and likely no one would be looking out that far. Could she trust that filly? Auntie Sunset she’d called her. That in itself was odd, but she’d also been completely unfazed by ponies tumbling out of a mirror, or her emerging as an Alicorn. Logic dictated she'd known about the mirror and her. Sunset pushed herself on as Rainbow did loops overhead. That filly just knew her, knew her by voice it seemed, but Sunset just couldn't understand how.

“Rainbow!” Sunset called.

“Yes?” Rainbow asked coming up alongside.

“You’re going to wear yourself out before we get there.”

“You’re just too slow.”

“I’m pacing myself. Besides, it’s my first time flying with my own set of wings.”

“Mine too.”

“You’re an athlete. The only thing I was ever good at was manipulating humans.”

“You know you really should quit beating yourself up over that.”

“Not like I don’t have plenty of other things to beat myself up over.”

“Does this have anything to do with why you are so desperate to find this girl?”

“Filly.”

“Alright, filly. - You know, when Twilight told us she was a pony princess I thought that was just some kind of weird title. Never occurred to me people were ponies here. How exactly am I a pony?”

“Has something to do with the portal. - I bet our Twilight is geeking out over it. - She’ll probably have formulated a scientific hypothesis by the time we get back.”

“No doubt. Now back to this Scooter girl.”

“Filly. Her name is Louise, but every pony calls her Scootaloo. - She was quite a handle when she was a baby.”

“How old is this kid?”

“Filly, she’s a foal, not a kid. - Old enough to be in middle school.”

“So how old were you when she was a baby?”

“Old enough.”

“Old enough for what?”

“Rainbow Dash, this may come as a surprise to you, but I’m more than old enough to be your mother.”

“Wait, I thought we were the same age?”

“No, afraid not. I’ve been in your world long enough to attend high school … well, let's just say many times.” “I’ve been to college. - Kicked out of every last one. - Even had an affair once.”

“Ya don’t say. - Just once?”

“Once were I abandoned caution. - He was married, and dropped me like a hot rock covered in spiders.”

“Let me guess, you were pregnant, and decided to come back to this world.”

“Ponies in general just seem to be kinder than humans. - Not that there aren’t kind humans.”

“No offense taken. - What happened?”

“I was in your world not by choice, but as punishment. I was out of control, and I’d been banished to your world because there was no magic there. - There is an outstanding warrant for my arrest if I should ever return. Three months after I gave birth, I was picked up by the authorities, and delivered to the ruler of this kingdom, who then sent me back to your world without ever once bothering to ask why I was there.”

“Deported. Damn. - And you said nothing?”

“I wasn’t given the opportunity.” The two continued on without a sound save for the sound of their own wings pushing them onward. After a short time, Sunset admitted that she’d vowed revenge. She’d sneak back into the castle to spy on the Princess who’d sent her away and formed a plan when she’d learned of Twilight’s crown.

“So all that wasn’t you just making an ass of yourself.” Rainbow offered. “What about now?”

“Twilight has never mentioned if the order has ever been rescinded,” Sunset replied. “The ruler of this land is Princess Celestia, and she has never once sent word to me to tell me I can come home despite Twilight’s report that I had changed my ways, and become repentant for my past actions. - Ah, I see her. She’s walking up to the lookout point. Looks like a brand new set of plumage too.”

“Wonder why she’d come all the way out here to try out her new wings?”

“I don’t know, and I’m not sure I like it.” Sunset glided down to the lookout while Rainbow continued to soar overhead.

Sunset Shimmer set down a few paces from Scootaloo, and called her by name, but she didn’t seem to hear. Schootaloo took a step, then another, and then tumbled off the edge with wings tucked tight. “Louise?!” Sunset called rushing to the edge. Scootaloo had skidded a short way and then tumbled off into oblivion. She was falling, making no attempt to fly. Sunset dove off the edge in pursuit. “What are you doing?! Open your wings!! - For the love of Equestria open your wings! Please, for my sake, open your wings, you can fly, trust me! - Please don’t give up on me, if you do, I’m going down with you! - Please, take a chance, open your wings, and fly!” Sunset did her best to reach out with her magic, but she was rusty, and just couldn't manage to concentrate on magic, and flying at the same time.

High above Rainbow Dash sees what is happening, and dives down not knowing what to do. She calls out, “Louise! Open your wings! You've got a brand-new set of wings! Open them!”

“Schootaloo! What in Equestria are you doing!!!” Shouted a second Rainbow Dash. The presence of two Rainbows shocked Scootaloo out of her depressed stupor, she opened her wings, and with a jolt shot heavenward pursued by both Rainbows.

“I’m flying?!” Scootaloo shouts. “I’m flying!!!”


“Sunset!?” The human world Rainbow shouts and dives back down to where she’d last seen her.

“Stay there!” Equestria World Rainbow says, adding, don’t do anything stupid, and dives in pursuit of the other rainbow. “Hey! - Come back here!” For a moment it is Rainbow following Rainbow, and then the lead rainbow dives down to come alongside Sunset Shimmer who is skimming over the tops of trees. She looks like she’s hit a few, and her face is set, teeth clenched in a look of extreme pain.

“Rainbow help!” Sunset manages to spit out through gritted teeth. “Pulling out of that dive was too much!” Her breathing was becoming strained.

“We’ve got you!” The human world Rainbow calls. “Rainbow Dash, take her left, I’ll take her right, we’ll support her with our wings!” E. Rainbow Dash not knowing what to make of the situation does as she is told, and the two Rainbows support Sunset, lifting her to a safer altitude, and then bringing her down to a landing in a clearing. The landing is anything but graceful.

“I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry!” HW Dash says after picking herself up. Sunset is sprawled on the ground not moving.

“Who are you anyway!?” E Dash demands.

“Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset says. “Rainbow Dash, meet Rainbow Dash.” Her voice is strained, and indicative that she is in a lot of pain.

“Sunset, are you alright?” HW Dash asks just as E Dash repeats the name Sunset Shimmer.

“Does she look alright!” E Dash demands as Scootaloo comes in for a landing that’s about as graceful as the previous landing. “What exactly are you doing here anyway? - Aside from trying to stop Scootaloo from doing something stupid.”

“I’m OK. I’m sorry, I don’t know what got into my head. I just left the house, and started walking.” Scootaloo says getting up and going over to the three. “Rainbow Dash, why are there two of you? Any chance one of you is a changeling, and who’s that?”

“Changeling?” HW Dash asks.

“She means you.” E Dash accuses looking at her counterpart.

“She’s from the mirror world.” Sunset offered in a quiet, pained voice.

“Hey, don’t you fall asleep on me!” HW Dash demands.

“I’ve pulled every single muscle and ligament required to fly,” Sunset informed her crossly. “Forgive me if I pass out.”

“I don’t get it. Who is she?” Scootaloo asked just as confused as before. “Why’d she do that? Why’d she risk her life for me like that?”

“Just a wild guess...” HW Dash began, “..but I’d say there is a really good chance she’s your mother.”

“Mother?!” E Dash exclaims.

“My mother, who abandoned me?” Scootaloo asked anger welling up.

“She got deported.” HW Dash stated loudly. “Went nuts stole Princess Twilight’s crown and turned into a she-demon all because she was desperate to get back to you and remove any obstacle in her way if she had to. Even if that meant overthrowing your own Celestia to do it. - OK, some of that is supposition on my part, but that’s the gist of it.”

“Holy road apples!” E Dash declared sitting hard. “Is that why she wanted to overthrow Princess Celestia?! Twilight told me all about what happened.”

“Ya, pretty much. For what it’s worth, I never expected I’d lose control of the power. I suspect harmony stones are soul-bound.” Sunset offered. “Any chance someone can go for help? I really don’t think I can move anymore. And let's not tell anyone about me wanting to overthrow anyone.”

“I’ll go.” Scootaloo offered, stood up, and spread her wings.

“That’s a nice new set of feathers you got there, take good care of them.” E Rainbow Dash suggested.

“And the markings on the wings are nearly identical to Sunset’s too.” HW Dash offered.

“And lands like you.” E Dash offered.

“Hey, it’s my first day of flying with actual wings.” HW Dash says in protest.

“Me too.” Sunset offered.

“I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry, and you dove after me,” Scootaloo said as tears began to well up.

“And even if I never fly again, it will have been worth it to see you safe,” Sunset replied. “Now go get help.”

“Yes mam, I mean mom, can I call you mom?”

“Just go. And when you get there just tell them you went for a walk to clear your head.” Sunset scolded. “And Louise; you can call me mom if you want.”

“Louise?” E Rainbow Dash asked.

“Umm, that’s my actual real name. Not often I hear it. Just when I’m in big trouble.” Scootaloo offered. Tested out her wings, and with a couple of steps, was airborne.

“So how’d you know to come out this way?” HW Rainbow Dash asked of the other Rainbow Dash.

“Got accused of goofing off when I needed to be out searching. - As I was allegedly in the company of Princess Celestia, I thought I’d check it out.”

“Some pony mistook me for Celestia?”

“It’s the sunbutt on an Alicorn thing.” E Rainbow Dash offered with a smile. HW Rainbow Dash repeated the words ‘sun butt’, and started laughing.

“Stop, don’t make me laugh, it hurts.” Sunset Shimmer protested. “Sun butt.” [Stifled horse laughter]

✳❇✳

When Scootaloo descended from the sky with the sun behind her, the ponies who’d been searching for her mistook her for Celestia for a brief moment. When they realized it was Scootaloo with brand new plumage and could fly now, every pony was ecstatic. At least until she informed them there was a badly injured pony out near Pinnacle Point. A rescue party was quickly assembled, with Twilight leading a group of Pegasi with a stretcher, and Scootaloo leading the way.

“Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asked on discovering two Rainbows waiting. “Sunset Shimmer, what are you doing here? - What’s happened here?” Sunset Shimmer being an Alicorn was a big surprise and had the ponies who’d come with Twilight all on edge. Here was another Alicorn, one they knew nothing about, and yet, Princess Twilight knew her.

“They came to look for me.” Scootaloo offered as Sunset was carefully lifted, and shifted onto the stretcher.

“Did a dive I wasn’t ready for,” Sunset admitted. “Almost didn’t pull out in time.”

“I see...” Twilight said feeling even more in the dark. “Maybe I’ll have you explain everything later. As for now, we need to get you back to Ponyville. We’re going to airlift you.”

“Just don’t drop me.” Sunset requested. “And Louise, don’t overexert yourself.”

“I’m alright. I pull Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle around on their wagon all the time.” There was a bit of back and forth among the rescuers. Why was this Alicorn calling Scootaloo Louise, and why was Scootaloo being so familiar with an Alicorn Princess? And for that matter, why were there two Rainbows?

“She does at that.” Equestria Rainbow Dash offered. “She’s going to be a strong flier for a late bloomer.”

“Would you call me a late bloomer?” Human world Rainbow Dash asked.

“I’m not really sure what to call you? This is just weird. It’s like when Pinkie duplicated herself.”

“Just exactly why are there two Rainbow Dashes?” one of the pegasus who was there to carry the stretcher asked.

“Long lost twin who just happens to have the same name.” Twilight offered. “What say we get going?”

“I’m going to head over to Cloudsdale, and fetch the flight surgeon for the Wonderbolts.” E Rainbow Dash offered.

“Princess Twilight, we’re ready.” The team leader of the Pegasus medical evacuation offered.

“We’re taking her to my castle,” Twilight announced.

“Cloudsdale would be able to take better care of her?” The team leader offered.

“Unfortunately this is going to be a delicate situation. Sunset Shimmer is from a different land and I want to keep her presence here as quiet as possible.”

“Ya, I thought you might say that.” E Rainbow Dash offered. “I’ll see you at the castle.” And with that, she took off, cut an arch across the sky, and headed for the Wonderbolts complex. A moment later the medical evacuation team was in the air, the stretcher with Sunset Shimmer slung underneath, and Twilight, HW Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo following close behind.

“You hanging in there?” Twilight asked Scootaloo after they’d gone a short way.

“I’m OK. - I’m going to feel it in the morning though.”

“I can show you some stretching exercises after we get back that Rainbow Dash showed me.” Twilight offered. “That is when our Rainbow was teaching me to fly.”

“I know you didn’t mean me.” HW Dash offered. “Sunset says there’s an outstanding warrant for her arrest.”

“I’m aware of it.” Twilight offered. “Our Celestia, when I asked if Sunset Shimmer could return to Equestria, she informed me it wasn’t possible. Sunset’s actions when she still lived here had gotten her in a lot of trouble. What exactly I don’t know. - There were never any formal charges, just an arrest, and deport order. - Stealing my crown, along with the harmony stone on it, didn’t help. - My understanding is she faced life in prison for the previous things she’d done, though I've yet to determine what she did that would warrant such a harsh punishment. Princess Celestia chose to send her to another world to give her a new start.”

“She says she’s my mother, and I believe her.” Scootaloo offered.

“What?!” Twilight exclaimed, and momentarily lost control of her flight. “Warn a pony before dropping a bomb like that.”

“When she learned that your Scootaloo might be in trouble, she went nuts.” Dash offered. “We were all gathered by the portal when you sent word that everyone, er pony, was out looking for Louise.”

“My name.” Scootaloo offered.

“Did you know that our Scootaloo and Sunset live in the same foster home? Everyone thinks they are sisters because Scootaloo’s mother looks so much like Sunset.” Dash informed Twilight.

“So what happened to that Sunset? I’m assuming for the sake of argument, that that was your world’s Sunset.”

“My understanding is it was similar circumstances.” Rainbow Dash explained. “She was in the country illegally, got into trouble, and got deported. Our Scootaloo was born in our Canterlot, so she got put into foster care.”

“What kind of pony – person, separates parent and child?” Twilight asked.

“Apparently your Princess Celestia.” Rainbow Dash offered. “Stealing your crown was just a way to get back at Celestia for separating her from Louise.”

“Oh...” Twilight was beginning to see a side of Celestia that she simply did not want to see.

“For what it’s worth, your Celestia may not have known about Louise.” Rainbow Dash offered.

“So what happened to that other Sunset?” Twilight asked cautiously.

“No idea. - Last, our Scootaloo heard from her, she was going to try to sneak back into the country. That was three years ago.”

“Wow. Must be hard on her knowing she has a mother out there trying to get back to her, but not knowing where she is.”

“Or if she is alive, or even cares,” Scootaloo added. “Oh don’t give me that look. - The pony I thought was my mother who raised me when I was a baby tells me she’s not my mom as she’s dying, and that my mom would come back to me someday. After that, I got bounced around from one foster home after another. - I got so upset about my feathers that I walked off a bucking cliff face before I knew it was there. - I didn’t even know where I was.”

“You could’ve gotten killed. Why would you do that?” Twilight exclaimed ignoring the profanity.

“Because I didn’t care,” Scootaloo replied as if it was nothing. They continued on in silence for a while, no one knowing what to say.

“Should have seen Sunset dive down after her, and then I dove down in pursuit.” Rainbow Dash offered up.

“The last time someone called me Louise was at a custody hearing. - The whole thing was like a dream, and I didn’t snap out of my stupor until I realized there were two Rainbows, and an Alicorn desperately trying to get me to open my wings, and fly. - They all seemed to know I could do it.”

“You just knew she could do it?” Twilight asked glancing at Rainbow Dash.

“Sunset Shimmer had faith she could do it, and I have faith in her.” Rainbow offered. “Look, I don’t know a thing about nothing in this world. - That and Sunset looked like she was ready to go down with Louise in the effort to save her. - Nearly did.”

“How’d you know where to look?” Twilight asked astonished at what she was hearing.

“There was a black and white filly, mostly white, with some kind of blindfold on who knew where we should look.”

“Sounds like Kitzu,” Scootaloo observed. “Wonder how she knew where I’d be?”

“I’ll have to be sure and ask her,” Twilight said in a voice that was suspiciously like a growl as they approached Ponyville. Was Kitzu tampering with time? Twilight could only think of one thing, and that was that Kitzumi had known all along where they would find… Twilight didn’t want to think of what might have been. The group arrived at the castle a short time later.

Twilight escorted the medical team to a room where they could get Sunset cleaned up, and tend to her external injuries. Equestria Rainbow Dash showed up with a doctor in tow a short time later. The doctor was quite alarmed, possibly more than would have been normal having been told the patient was an alicorn with a sun for a cutie mark. He was not expecting to see a total stranger.

“Something wrong?” Twilight asked.

“I… well, to be honest, I was expecting Princess Celestia. - Who is she?”

“A friend from another kingdom. Her name is Sunset Shimmer.” Twilight offered. “We kind of need to keep her presence here quiet. - Can you help her?”

“I’ll have to examine her first, and then we’ll see. - By the way, why am I seeing two Rainbow Dashes?”

“What?” Twilight asked, turned to discover both Dashes were poking their heads in to see what was going on. “Oh. One is a look-alike sister from another mother who comes from the same kingdom as Princess Sunset Shimmer. - Let me just chase them out so you can do what you came here for. - Alright you two, let's let the medical experts do their job.”

✳❇✳

“Now hold on one hoofing moment.” Twilight protested. It was later in the day, and the doctor had only just left a short time ago. Lieutenant Smith had just announced that as a member of the Royal Guard, he had no choice but to report the presence of Sunset Shimmer. “Correct me if I am mistaken, but I was under the understanding that you were sent here to keep an eye on Kitzu?”

“But Sunset Shimmer is a wanted felon,” Smith stated emphatically.

“When she is in this castle she is under my care and protection,” Twilight replied with an equal amount of conviction.

“While who is in your care and protection?” asked Princess Celestia approaching. “Twilight, it’s not like you to not tell me what’s going on?”

“Mr Smith seems I’m beginning to understand why Kitzumi ran from you,” Twilight muttered in a low growl. His reaction was one of surprise and denial as he hadn’t as yet said anything to any pony.

“Twilight?” Princess Celestia asked, concern in her tone. “And for that matter why are there two Applejacks, two Raritys, two Rainbow Dashes, oh alright, I get it now, Sunset Shimmer is here. But why is the whole gang here? - Well hello, Miss Twilight.”

“Is this a bad time?” Human world Twilight asked while making a polite bow.

“This may take a while to explain.” Princess Twilight offered. “Perhaps you could tell me what brings you to visit me… unannounced.”

“Can’t I just drop in any time?” Celestia asked. “But I can see that it’s obviously a bad time. - I came because there was a rumor that I was presently laid up in your castle.”

“Um, that might be my fault.” One of the Rainbow Dashes offered. “You see, Sunset Shimmer injured her wings while searching for Scootaloo...”

“Wings? But she’s a Unicorn?” Celestia asked confused. “And why was there a search for Scootaloo?”

“Scootaloo had gotten her feathers scorched really bad by exploding camera flash strobes a few days ago. As a result, she was feeling really down.” Twilight explained. “Scootaloo left her foster home late last night, and her absence this morning got a lot of ponies very worried. Sunset came thru the mirror to help look, well, because Scootaloo is her daughter apparently.”

“Daughter?!” Celestia was in shock.

“Looks that way.” Twilight offered. “She had been really interested in Scootaloo’s well being, and when she heard Scootaloo might be in trouble she rushed over to help with the search. It was when they spotted Scootaloo that Sunset was injured. - I understand Sunset did a dive she wasn’t ready for.”

“She always was headstrong, and impulsive,” Celestia said with an edge of agitation in her tone. “Where is she? Sunset?”

“This way.” Twilight offered knowing there was no point in arguing. They found Sunset resting on a bed with her wings immobilized. She was also heavily sedated. “The doctor said she’d torn ligaments, and muscles. - He says that he’s amazed that she was even able to continue flying. - I’d say desperation on her part, the terrain is really rough out there. - Doc doesn’t want her being moved, and she’s to stay put, and rest.”

“Mother, I want to come home,” Sunset said sounding as though she might be talking in her sleep.

“Well?” Twilight asked.

“Well, what?” Celestia asked.

“When are you letting her come home?”

“Now I’ve told you it’s out of my hooves.”

“Yes you have, but you never said why, so I decided to find out for myself. Took me a bit too, being she wasn’t exactly a class or two ahead of me. - She was never formally charged for anything that could possibly warrant being banished, let alone indefinitely banished, and listed as a wanted felon. - I saw a lot of petty stuff on her record showing she had been engaged in some very outrageous behavior. She was out of control I’ll admit. She joined a political action group.”

“It was a terrorist organization.”

“Was it, was it really? - The members all seemed to be the offspring of some mighty influential families, and not a one was charged with anything other than minor infractions.”

“It started out like most of her activities...”

“And then they did something that had to be swept under the carpet, didn’t they? - All the members got shipped off to relatives given certain ultimatums, and Sunset was made the example. - Don’t you think it’s time to let Sunset come home? - Must she be punished indefinitely? - She’s not the same pony she used to be. - Look at her, she’s become an Alicorn.”

“All the more reason not to let her come home. Not publicly anyway.” Celestia offered. “Those others who were involved, they’re all grown, some with grandchildren. Sunset...”

“Has a filly of her own. - Scootaloo is her daughter, and she nearly killed herself to save her.”

“Save?”

“Scootaloo walked off a cliff in a stupor. - She had become that despondent. - Scootaloo needs her mother.

"Nor do I understand why you are being so hard on Sunset when you so obviously care about her well-being. - If you didn’t you wouldn't be asking about her so often.”

“Excuse me?” asked a shaky Scootaloo entering the room.

“Now’s a bad time.” suggested a considerably more confidant Scootaloo quickly coming in behind her.

“She’s got, two daughters?” Celestia asked, the two fillies while looking identical showed an age gap.

“Daughter?” Asked the younger of the two dumbfounded by the idea.”

“My mother.” Informed the elder Scootaloo, and then turned to Celestia. “She came in through the mirror-like the others. They are all really worried about Sunset Shimmer. - My Mother.” Scootaloo was making sure Princess Celestia would know she'd separated her from her mother. All those years of thinking she'd been abandoned had been Celestia's doing.

“She’s sleeping. She’s going to be alright.” Twilight offered.

“Lieutenant Smith?” Celestia called.

“Please let her stay here?” Twilight asked not sure why Princess Celestia wanted Smith.

“Stay? What? The girls, or… oh. No, I’m not going to move Sunset if that’s what you are worried about.”

“Princess Celestia?” Lieutenant Smith asked as he entered the room. He made a polite bow.

“Have you had any sleep?” Twilight asked.

“Twilight, please. Lieutenant, why exactly are you here?” Celestia inquired.

“Princess Luna is being overly protective,” Twilight interjected before Smith could answer.

“Lieutenant?” Celestia prompted giving Twilight a sideways glance.

"I imagine one could say as much. - Princess Luna asked Miss Pudding, and myself to come to Ponyville, to be at Princess Twilight’s disposal.” Smith offered. Princess Celestia studied him for a moment, then turned back to Twilight.

“Just what kind of a relationship do you have with my sister?”

“Whatever are you talking about?” Twilight asked with honest puzzlement. “We’ve been close ever since Luna’s first nightmare night after her return from the moon, but it’s not like we are doing anything inappropriate. They are just here to help me take care of Kitzu.”

“Kitzu?” Celestia asked. The name didn’t sound like a pony name to her. At least not a very common name. Not one she was familiar with.

“Miss Kitzu is a relative of mine who’s come to stay with me. - Didn’t Princess Luna say anything to you about her?”

“Oh don’t tell me she’s the one Luna wants to take on as a student?” Celestia asked as the pieces began to fit. “Don’t tell me she’s been dumped on you by a family that didn’t want her?”

“She wasn’t dumped on me, her mother loves her very much, but circumstances required I take care of her.” Twilight protested perhaps a bit too much.

“She’s a button?”

“Yes.”

“And she just shows up on your doorstep?”

“I found her lost in the castle of the two sisters.” Twilight corrected. Twilight's tone was becoming defensive. Twilight also knew not to stray from the truth too much as Princess Celestia would know she wasn’t being truthful. “Miss Kitzu came out to visit without permission, and circumstances have required I take care of her. Yes, her mother knows, I’m not, that is...” Twilight takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly to calm herself. “She’s not happy about it, but there doesn’t seem to be anything that can be done about it. - We're not entirely sure how Kitzu got out there, but that's the situation as it stands."

“I see,” Celestia said cautiously, and a bit surprised at Twilight’s outburst. There was also that moment where Twilight stopped to rethink what she was about to say. Something wasn't adding up, but Celestia decided it'd be best to be cautious as she'd never seen Twilight act quite the way she was presently acting. Why was she being defensive about it, and what was the unspoken truth? “So where is she now?”

“Hopefully she’s found a nice quiet corner of the castle to get some sleep.” Twilight offered. “Miss Pudding should be with her.”

“Sleeping in the middle of the day?” Celestia asked.

“Kitzu is primarily nocturnal. She is up most of the night, and Lieutenant, shouldn't you be sleeping too? When was the last time you slept? What say you find Spike, and he’ll direct you to a room you can use.”

“It’s been a while, and thank you.” Lieutenant Smith offered, bowed, and exited the room.

“Lieutenant,” Celestia called. He stopped and turned back. “Princess Sunset Shimmer will be remanded to Princess Twilight Sparkle’s custody until further notice.”

“Yes, your highness.”

“You may go.”

“Thank you, your highness.” He hesitated a moment, turned back, and continued out the door.

“Remanded to my custody?” Twilight asked.

“Afraid it’s the best I can do. - For now.”

“What say you tell her the truth?” Sunset prompted. Sunset was awake this time. “Grandmother.” Grandmother was echoed by Twilight and the fillies. “Little Scoots is here too? Come here you two. No, Scoots, Principle Celestia is not your great grandmother. I think she is a third or fourth cousin though. Ironic how subtle differences can create such a big impact, and yet there are so many similarities it’s uncanny.”

“How are you?” Celestia asked Sunset.

“I feel like I got hit by a truck, but doing OK,” Sunset replied as the two fillies cautiously ventured over to her afraid they’d be turned back by Princess Celestia.

“I, um, actually have no idea what a truck is, but I’m going to assume it’s something big.” Celestia offered, sounding genuinely concerned.

“A very large transport vehicle intended for bulk commodities.” Little Scoot offered. “We talking eighteen wheels here?” She asked of Sunset.

“At least that many.” Sunset offered and managed a smile. “Grandmother, please tell Twilight why I got banished.”

“I was rather hoping to avoid that conversation. Especially with the two fillies present.”

“They kind of need to know the truth.” Sunset prompted.

“Twilight, what got Sunset and the others in so much trouble is they dared to challenge the ponies who run the government. And no, I do not run the government. - I’m barely more than a puppet. Oh, I do have some pull, but nowhere near as much as I’d like. - Unfortunately, that means the government is run by ponies who are too short-sighted to understand the kind of damage they can do through self-serving decisions. - Sunset and the others wanted to change that.”

“I wanted you to have veto power so you could tell them no, but you betrayed me.” Sunset scolded. “Yes, I wanted an elected government as well, but a total upheaval was the last thing I wanted. - I wasn’t the pony abdicating the abolishment of the nobility. What I wanted was some proper checks and balances of the nobility, and the corporate class who actually run Equestria. - In the human world, they call it a parliamentary system. What we have here is an oligarchy.”

“And your father is part of it.”

“Nothing I was advocating would have changed his position in any way. I wasn’t even the pony calling the shots. - Though I’ll admit I was being rather naive back then.”

“But you were the pony closest to me.”

“Is that why you separated me from my mother.” Pony World Scootaloo asked in an accusing tone.

“It’s a bit more complicated than that.” Sunset offered. “Afraid your father is human.”

“What?!” Celestia exclaimed.

“I came back because I didn’t want to have a foal in that world.” Sunset pronounced. Her tone sounded like someone who was ready to give up. “And then you went and did to me the very thing I feared the most. Sent me packing without even giving me a chance to explain myself.”

“Why didn’t you say something?” Celestia protested.

“I tried, you wouldn't listen. - I was so naive when I was young. For all its faults our world is a utopia compared to the mirror world. It only looks good on the surface, or if you are fortunate enough to be part of the elite class.”

“It’s not like...” Celestia began after a moment of silence. “I can’t be showing favoritism.”

“Does that mean you can do something?” Twilight asked with an accusatory edge.

“Wait, does that mean you might be taking Sunset Shimmer away from us?” Human World Scootaloo asked.

“Scoot, it’s only a matter of time till the immigration people figure out my identification, and birth certificate is fake.” Sunset offered. “To be honest I’d be perfectly happy to stay here, and bring you with me.”

“Hang on?” Asked the human world Twilight from the door.

“Miss Twilight.” Celestia offered in greeting. Her tone was noncommittal.

“Twilight, any chance you can cover for me?” Sunset asked.

“Cover for you?” Miss Sparkle asked. “What was that about our Scootaloo coming here? - Should the two Scootaloo’s even be in the same dimension? - I mean for an extended amount of time.”

“Never hurt me, or my counterpart.” Sunset offered. "That and they aren't duplicates of each other."

“Shouldn't she be with family?” Miss Sparkle asked.

“She can stay with my Scootaloo.”

“They aren’t family though… or are they?” Princess Twilight asked. “Let me guess, you totally had a relationship with your counterpart.”

“After my return to the human world, I sort of hooked up with my counterpart,” Sunset explained. “She’d crossed paths with the same jerk I had.”

“What, but then that means!?” Celestia exclaimed not sure she wanted to commit to what had just crossed her mind.

“Are we sisters, I mean actual sisters?” The older Scootaloo asked.

“Both were conceived in the human world, both have the same human father. If there is a counterpart to the girls, they are still here in Equestria.” Sunset explained.

“Why do they have the same name?” Miss Twilight asked, and the explanation seemed simple enough. Pony Sunset had told Human world Sunset about her daughter, and the human world Sunset had decided to go with the same name.

After further discussion, it was decided that little Scootaloo would have to go back, at least for the time being until they could work something out, and neither wanted the elder Scootaloo to go to the human world where she might risk the same fate as the human world Sunset. That and she’d be instantly robbed of flight the moment she crossed through, and no one wanted that to happen. And Sunset, Sunset was to stay in Princess Twilight’s castle until she was better while the human world Twilight would explain that Sunset Shimmer had gone to visit her grandmother.

Author's Note:

Why yes I did make Sunset Shimmer an Alicorn. And yes, some of this is pure trollery on my part. :twilightsheepish:

In the process of writing this I found that keeping track of two identical characters to be challenging. Thus Human World [HW] Dash, and Equestria Dash.

As for Schootaloo, it was never her intention to walk off a cliff. She was in a deep mental fog brought on by depression. For those of us who've live with depression, this is a state that can be all too familiar. We go through these dips where nothing around us seems to matter, and blunder our way through life oblivious to what we are doing. And yes, I did make Scootaloo Sunset's daughter. Not exactly my original idea from what I've learned, but there it is. It was also my intention to demonstrate how deportation, and unfeeling bureaucracy can shatter lives.