• Published 4th Dec 2017
  • 3,608 Views, 14 Comments

The Gift of Hearth’s Warming - Astral Phoenix



When learning that Twilight won’t be able to spend Hearth’s Warming with her family, the Apple family plans to give the Princess of Friendship a Hearth’s Warming she will never forget.

  • ...
1
 14
 3,608

"The Gift of Hearth's Warming"

Curtains of snow pour down from the gray clouds high above the sky over Ponyville. Blankets of soft, clear-white snow already cover most of the town as the residents bustle about excitedly decorating their homes, baking festive treats and – most excitedly of all – singing festively in the middle of town. It’s the day before Hearth’s Warming Eve, and ponies all over Equestria are filled with the high spirits of the holiday, though not every city or town celebrates with the same kind of verve as Ponyville. This year everypony from different towns and cities are all going to celebrate the day in this one small town. Ponies of all kinds come together for this one time of the year to celebrate the love and friendship they all share. Harmony at its finest and the magic of friendship at its strongest.

This is not just going to be the greatest Hearth's Warming, ever, but the most memorable one for everyone in Equestria and it all starts with Apple Bloom making her way into town.

The little farm filly, just as caught up in the excitement of the season as everyone else in town, skips festively through the snow with a warm scarf around her neck, a woolly knit cap snug on her head – her pink bow resting on the top – and a saddle bag resting on her back. As she walks past the houses, she notices the happy smiles on ponies’ faces, decorations shining brightly as they reflect in her eyes. She can’t help but beam happily, the holiday spirit running through her body. She starts skipping even more merrily onwards, greeting other ponies as she passes by. Looking around the town, Apple Bloom’s smile grows more and more, her heart warmed like a fireplace in a cozy cottage. Off to her left, she can just make out Rarity’s boutique covered in the most beautiful decorations she’s ever seen. But it’s the sight of Rarity and Sweetie Belle with their parents singing merrily that makes Apple Bloom look forward to spending the next few days with her family.

A fragrant and tasty aroma catches Apple Bloom’s nose, causing her tummy to grumble in want of freshly baked cookies. And not just any cookies. Her eyes grow wide and a huge grin grows on her face. By the scent alone she knows they are Pinkie Pie’s traditional, homemade, chocolate-filled, Hearth’s Warming cookies. These are particularly special as Pinkie Pie would only bake them for the most specialest of Hearth’s Warmings, so this year must be truly extraordinary for Pinkie to bake her most special cookies.

Making a pit stop to Sugarcube Corner, Apple Bloom hurries up to the counter hoping to get a bag of those amazing cookies for her and the rest of the Apple family. A couple of ponies trot past her carrying bags full of said treats making her fear that Pinkie might have already sold out, prompting another plaintive grumble from her tummy.

“Hey, Apple Bloom,” Pinkie calls joyfully at her approach and, almost as though she could read Apple Bloom’s mind, continues, “want some of my homemade Hearth’s Warming cookies?”

“Do I?” Apple Bloom beams, trotting happily on the spot.

“I’ve made them extra tasty special. Your taste buds will literally scream from how amazingtastic they are!” Pinkie Pie proclaims as she fills a bag up with a few of the cookies, “So, how are the rest of the Apples?” Pinkie asks as she hands Apple Bloom her bag.

“They’re doing fine,” Apple Bloom answers, holding the bag in her hooves, “They're all gettin’ the farm ready for tomorrow.”

Unable to help herself, and mostly because her stomach won’t stop rumbling, Apple Bloom digs her hoof into the bag and pulls out a large chocolate chip cookie decorated with white and brown blobs of whipped cream on the corners and pink icing in the shape of a heart that represents Hearth’s Warming.

As Apple Bloom takes a bite out of the cookie the pupils in her eyes grow as wide as Celestia’s sun. She chews the scrumptious biscuit slowly while savoring the flavors of the chocolate, whipped cream and icing all at once. As soon as she’s swallowed she quickly devours the rest of it in mere seconds.

“Mmmmmmm. That has gotta be the best cookie I ever tasted,” Apple Bloom says as she puts the bag of the rest of her cookies in her saddlebag. “Why is it that ya don’t make your cookies fer every Hearth’s Warming?”

“Because I only bake them when it’s the most specialest Hearth’s Warmings and this year is especially the specialest-est. Everypony’s families are coming together here in Ponyville! It’s going to be the biggest ever Hearth’s Warming, ever!”

“Wow, that’s amazin'. Even yer family’s comin’?”

“Yep, I’m so looking forward to spending Hearth’s Warming with both my family and the Cakes for the very first time!” Pinkie Pie beams.

It’s no wonder why Apple Bloom has been noticing Ponyville being much more cheerful this year. Each of their families is coming all across Equestria to spend time with each other. This is truly going to be the best Hearth’s Warming of all time.

“Say, would Applejack, Granny Smith and Big Mac like some of these cookies?” Pinkie Pie asks.

“They sure would. Applejack just loves these cookies as much as me and Big Mac,” Apple Bloom answers.

Pinkie tosses her a couple more bags, each landing perfectly in Apple Bloom’s open saddlebags. Apple Bloom quickly produces a small bag of bits, only for Pinkie to frantically wave her hoof.

“No, no, no, no,” she says hastily. “These are on the house. A Hearth’s Warming gift to my favorite little Apple and her family.”

Apple Bloom smiles. “Yer sure, Pinkie?” she asks, her voice slightly muffled with the bag still gripped in her teeth.

Pinkie Pie just nods reassuringly.

Apple Bloom’s smile beams brightly as she puts her purse back into her bag. “Thank ya ever so kindly, Pinkie Pie.”

“Not a problem. So where are you heading?” Pinkie asks curiously.

“I’m headin’ over ta Twilight’s castle to borrow some Hearth’s Warming tales that Granny Smith’s gonna read ta us,” Apple Bloom says as she jumps joyfully up and down.

“Sounds great, but don’t you have any Hearth’s Warming books at home?”

“Not many, and Granny Smith did mention a particular story that's supposed ta be really good. I just hope Twilight has it. I’ll see ya later, Pinkie! Thanks again fer the cookies! Bye!” Apple Bloom excitedly replied before running off.

“Wait!” Pinkie cries out, “You didn’t say what the story was about!”

But Apple Bloom is already too far away to hear. The day is almost over and Hearth’s Warming Eve is fast approaching, and there’s not much time to wait. Once Apple Bloom gets what she’s come out for, she plans to hurry straight back to the farm to help with the final preparations before the big day finally arrives. As Apple Bloom gets closer to Twilight’s castle, she thinks to herself how nothing could possibly ruin this wonderful holiday.

Each merry skip up The Castle of Friendship’s steps brings more joy to Apple Bloom’s heart. Her smile is spread wide from ear to ear as she hums a merry tune and dances happily in front of the castle door. Going up to the door, she gives it a tap that echoes through the castle halls. Neither her humming nor dancing falters, and she gets so caught up in her impromptu dance recital that she nearly forgets why she is there. When the door finally opens, creaking loudly, she jolts back to the world. Her exuberance temporarily drained, she gazes nervously at the barely open door. She stands there for a moment, waiting for someone to come out and greet her, but no one does. Unsure of what to make of it, Apple Bloom cautiously walks up to the door and peeks her head through the gap, hoping to see someone through the other side. As she peers in she finds no one on the other side of the door, making Apple Bloom feel a little nervous because she is used to seeing Twilight or Spike answering the door.

“Hello?” Apple Bloom calls out. “Anypony here?”

Apple Bloom slowly makes her way inside. Despite nobody being there, Twilight had stated that anypony was welcome to come into the castle whenever they want without needing her to answer the door. So it’s not like Apple Bloom is intruding in someone’s home without permission.

“Twilight? Spike?” Apple Bloom calls again, looking quite concerned. “Are ya home?”

As there wasn’t a reply Apple Bloom assumes that Twilight and Spike must not be home.

“Starlight?” Apple Bloom calls once more. “Are ya here?”

Again, there is no answer. The castle must be empty.

“Guess not everypony is gonna be in Ponyville for Hearth’s Warming,” says Apple Bloom with a hint of disappointment in her voice. She was really hoping to wish Twilight, Spike and Starlight a happy Hearth’s Warming.

Sighing, she turns to leave. Since Twilight isn’t about she can’t bring herself to take out a book without her consent. But just as she is about to walk out the door, Apple Bloom hears a heavy, mournful sigh echo throughout the castle halls. The sudden noise startles her and she almost screams, thinking it might be a ghost. She turns back around as her eyes begin darting around to find where the sound had come from.

“H-He-Hell-Hello?” she stutters. “Is anypony here?”

Another loud sigh arises from out of nowhere. Apple Bloom’s ear flickers hoping to pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from.

“Hello?” she calls out once more.

“Apple Bloom?” comes a curious voice from behind a door.

Apple Bloom instantly recognises that voice. It’s Twilight’s and it’s coming from inside the map room. Apple Bloom gallops her way to the door. As she opens it and peers inside, she finds a curious looking Twilight sitting on her throne, alone, with only a book resting on the friendship map table to keep her company. Apple Bloom’s smile returns, relieved that there isn’t a ghost in the castle.

“Boy, am I glad it’s just you, Twilight. I thought the castle may have been haunted fer a second,” Apple Bloom laughs as she makes her way into the throne room.

As Apple Bloom gets closer, however, she notices the despondent expression on the princess’s face. She seems to be really upset, but she’s trying hard to hide it.

“No ghosts here, Apple Bloom,” says Twilight with a forced joyful tone, then with a look of dejection she added quietly, “just me…

Apple Bloom arches an eyebrow curiously at that. Twilight takes notice of Apple Bloom’s expression and tries to avoid it by changing the subject.

“Is there something I can help you with, sweetie?” Twilight asks with a forced smile.

Apple Bloom shakes her head as she remembers what she came here for. “Oh, I was wonderin’ if y'all have any Hearth’s Warming books? Granny Smith is gonna read some tales ta us tonight before Hearth’s Warming.”

“That sounds great.” Then, faintly, she says, “I sure wish I could do that with my family.” She continues in a normal voice, “I think I have some good ones that you’ll enjoy. Follow me,” Twilight says, getting up from her throne.

Apple Bloom is certain something is wrong. She can see it in Twilight’s eyes. As Twilight is about to make her way into the library, Apple Bloom steps right in front of her blocking her path.

“Twilight, what’s wrong?”

Twilight steps back nervously. “What do you mean? I’m fine.”

Apple Bloom doesn’t believe that for a second. “I know somethin’s wrong, Twilight. Yer just sitting here all alone, by yourself, and you look so unhappy.”

“Unhappy?” Twilight scoffs, “Why wouldn’t I be happy? It’s Hearth’s Warming Eve tomorrow. The biggest one there ever was in Ponyville’s history. Everypony from all over Equestria is coming together to celebrate. Why wouldn’t I be happy about something as joyous as this?” She gives a weak half-hearted laugh.

Apple Bloom just stands her ground, brows crossed, tense as she stares sternly at the Alicorn princess, clearly not buying what Twilight’s saying. To ensure Twilight will talk she sits herself down on the floor without uttering a word.

“Apple Bloom, I’m perfectly fine,” Twilight lies, “now let’s get those books you wanted, hmm?”

Apple Bloom just remains sitting where she is, refusing to move. She closes her eyes and folds her forelegs to reinforce her refusal. Twilight lowers her head to Apple Bloom’s face.

“Come on now, Bloom, I appreciate your concern, but there’s really nothing wrong with me,” she says as she nuzzles warmly against Apple Bloom’s cheek. “You don’t want to keep your family waiting now do you?”

As Twilight lifts herself away, Apple Bloom looks up at her with compassion in her eyes. “How can ya say y'all are alright when yer all by yerself in the throne room? I saw tha look on yer face when I came in, Twilight. You were all sad and miserable. I can’t just ignore it, especially when it’s almost Hearth’s Warming,” Apple Bloom stands herself up and gives Twilight a consoling cuddle around her foreleg. “I really care about ya, Twilight. I can’t stand it if somethin’s wrong. I want ta help ya,” Apple Bloom pleads as she gazes deeply into Twilight’s eyes.

Twilight looks deep into the filly’s eyes. Her heart melts as she sees the love and care in them, bringing a smile to her face. She returns the hug, wrapping a foreleg gently around Apple Bloom’s shoulder. “Thank you, sweetheart. You’re right. I am upset over something. I just don’t want to ruin the festivities for everyone if they found out.”

Apple Bloom knew it, now even more concerned. “What is it, Twilight? What is it that’s got you so sad?”

Twilight walks back to her throne. As she sits down she lets out yet another heavy and depressed sigh. “You know everypony’s families are coming together to Ponyville for Hearth’s Warming, right?”

“Mmhm.” Apple Bloom nods.

“Well… mine isn’t,” Twilight admits.

Apple Bloom gasps, “What!?”

“They were planning to, of course, but my dad had an accident and the doctors forbade him from travelling. I received a letter not too long ago explaining the situation; my Mom was so sorry. She was really looking forward to spending our first Hearth’s Warming together in a long time. But now…”

Apple Bloom feels tears start to well up in her eyes. “Well, at least ya got Spike and Starlight ta keep ya company and what about Shining Armor and Princess Cadence? Surely they can still be here fer ya.”

Twilight’s depressed expression only worsens at that, a shimmer of tears starting to swell in her eyes. “N-no, they… can’t…” she chokes out.

Apple Bloom’s mouth falls agape.

Twilight takes a deep consoling breath before she continues. “Yesterday, Spike was called to Canterlot on urgent royal business. By the time he was meant to come back we found out that the trains had closed down due to freezing weather. It’s so bad the tracks have completely frozen over. There won’t be any trains until after the holidays. The same goes for The Crystal Empire. And Starlight already had plans to spend her Hearth’s Warming in her old village and she left a few days before the tracks froze over.”

Apple Bloom is at a loss for words. “So… ya mean… yer all alone?”

Twilight regretfully nodded.

Apple Bloom can’t help it but tears come pouring out her eyes and stream heavily down her cheeks. “But, ya can’t be alone on Hearth’s Warming. T’aint right!”

Twilight brushes the little filly’s mane. “I know, Apple Bloom. That’s why I didn’t want to worry you or anypony else. The last thing I want is to ruin their holiday just because mine’s ruined. I’ll be fine on my own.”

“But, Twilight—”

“Please, Apple Bloom. I just want to be by myself this year. Seeing everypony else happy makes me happy.”

Deep down, however, Apple Bloom knows that Twilight isn’t happy at all. Nopony, especially not the Princess of Friendship, deserves to spend such a momentous holiday all alone. Somehow, Apple Bloom has to do something. She can’t bear knowing that a pony would spend Hearth’s Warming alone, especially in a huge, empty castle. The thought of it makes the little filly’s heart break.

Apple Bloom trudges her way up towards the farm. As she enters her home, the warmth of the fireplace spreading throughout the whole house welcomes her, each room decorated with ornaments, tinsels and all other kinds of decorations that make the whole place feel magical. Yet, Apple Bloom’s heart still feels cold and saddened. The beautiful sight of the decorations doesn’t bring a single smile to the filly’s face.

“Yeeeehaw!” Applejack bellows as she gallops excitedly down the stairs; her signature cowgirl hat is wrapped in green garland and decorated with bits of tinsels that rest across the rim. “Boy, I sure can’t wait fer Hearth’s Warming. I’m more excited than a filly who just earned her cutie mark on her first try!”

When she notices Apple Bloom’s presence she shows a sudden look of regret. “Uh, I mean, fer some fillies, of course. Others need a little more time,” she half-heartedly chuckles.

Apple Bloom doesn’t even pay attention to Applejack; her mind is still lost thinking about Twilight. Applejack can see by Apple Bloom’s expression that something must be wrong. Earlier, when she’d left the house, she’d been bubbling with excitement and now she looks more depressed than a pig without a mud pit.

“What’s the matter, little sis?” Applejack asks placing a consoling hoof on her sister’s shoulder. “It’s Hearth’s Warming Eve tomorrow, ya should be happy.”

Apple Bloom looks directly up to her sister’s face. “Not everypony’s happy, AJ,” Apple Bloom says with a hint of sorrow.

***

“I can’t believe it,” says Applejack pacing back and forth in their living room while Apple Bloom, Granny Smith and Big Mac look on. She is still trying to take in all that Apple Bloom had told her. “Why didn’t she say nothin’? Why would she want ta spend Hearth’s Warming all alone in that cold empty castle by herself?”

“She says she doesn’t want ta ruin Hearth’s Warming for us, or anypony else, just because hers is ruined,” Apple Bloom explains.

“That’s ridiculous!” Applejack proclaims. “Hearth’s Warming is everypony’s holiday, not just hers! When hers is ruined,ours is ruined too. We’re all one huge family, and I won’t stand ta see my best friend and honorary sister left all alone in that castle. I’m gonna march up there right now and have her spend Hearth’s Warming with us if’n I have ta use my lasso ta do it.” Applejack begins to march her way towards the front door.

“But sis, it isn’t just Twilight,” Apple Bloom points out. “All of her family is spending Hearth’s Warming alone: her parents, Shining Armor, Princess Cadence, Flurry Heart, and even Spike! They’re all gonna miss being together fer Hearth’s Warming.”

Applejack is taken aback as her jaw drops. She didn’t take Twilight’s family into account. If it was her, she would feel devastated if all of her family missed spending Hearth’s Warming with her. Applejack trots sadly back towards the sofa as she sits down next to her sister.

“Yer right, little sis. But what can we do? It’s not like we could head out to Canterlot and The Crystal Empire by hoof and gather everypony up before tomorrow.”

“Yer big brother could,” Granny Smith boasts. “Big Mac could scour all over Equestria through tha toughest storms and make it back here in two shakes of a Timberwolf’s paw, right, Big Mac?”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac proudly, yet boastfully, exclaims.

Apple Bloom ponders for a moment, as does Applejack, the both of them seem to be having an idea.

“Are ya thinkin’ what I’m thinkin’, big sis?” Apple Bloom stoutly asks her sister.

Applejack leaps from the sofa, her eyes gleaming with determination. “Family, we’ve got some work ta do. By tomorrow we’re gonna pull off the biggest Hearth’s Warming miracle Equestria’s ever seen.”

The Apple family cheers as they begin preparing their plan. Tomorrow Twilight will get the greatest Hearth’s Warming gift she’ll ever receive.

Celestia’s sun is just barely over the horizon, hanging in the golden clouds of a dawn sky and yet ponies are already up and bustling about excitedly. Hearth’s Warming Eve is finally upon them. The whole town is abuzz with nervousness and excitement, and just a smattering of desperation; there is no time left to spare before the big day, after all. Everypony has somewhere to be or some last-minute task to complete. All except one, that is.

Inside her bedroom, Twilight sleeps still as Celestia’s sun shines through her window, slowly creeping down from the ceiling and across her bed, moving steadily until it reaches her face, causing her to stir from the bright light. Not wanting to get up, Twilight pulls her duvet over her head and moans. It’s the unwanted sound of fillies laughing and playing outside that finally forces the princess to sit herself up and stare blankly into thin air before her. Despite her desire to never get up again, she knows very well she can’t spend the day moping in her bed, Spike would certainly have told her that, if he’d been there, that is.

Finally bringing herself out of bed, Twilight marches towards her window and peers out to see the fillies frolicking and playing in the heavy blankets of fluffy white powder, building snow ponies and throwing snowballs at each other. Seeing this brings a small, short-lived smile to the Alicorn’s face. But as she looks on, she notices a family also having fun in the snow together, bonding and laughing as they play and sing. The sight of it brings a tear to Twilight’s eye. As much as she wants to deny it, she is truly heartbroken without her family on this day of all days; she wants them to be here more than anything.

A loud knock at the door echoes its way through the castle to reach Twilight’s ears and drags her from the window. Despite herself, she can’t help hoping it’s her family surprising her at her front door. She hurries as quickly as possible to the castle entrance. Instead, as she pushes opens the door she finds herself face to face with Applejack. She tries to hide her disappointment from her friend, not wanting her to think she isn’t grateful to see her.

“Applejack!” says Twilight. “What a surprise! What brings you here on the morning of Hearth’s Warming Eve?”

“Apple Bloom told us what happened with yer family,” Applejack says softly. “I’m awful sorry this happened ta ya, sugarcube.”

Twilight covers her hoof over her eyes and groans. “I told Apple Bloom not to say anything. I didn’t want any of you to worry.”

“Now, you listen here. I’m glad Apple Bloom told me about this. ‘Cause she couldn’t bear seeing ya like this and neither can I. That’s why I hereby courteously invite yer Highness, Princess Twilight Sparkle, ta spend Hearth’s Warming with me and my family.”

Twilight puts a hoof over her heart as tears swell up in her eyes. Unable to control herself, she starts sobbing, “Oh… Applejack, thank you… but… I just can’t… I don’t want to put you through all this… I shouldn’t impose…”

Twilight then finds herself engulfed in a tight, warm embrace by her best friend. “Twi, the last time I’d ever left ya alone was when I foolishly left ya in that wedding hall. I almost lost my best friend that day cause I wasn’t there fer ya and I vowed ta never make that mistake again. Yer more than just my friend, sugarcube, you’re my family. My sister and I will be honored ta have ya with us fer Hearth’s Warming.”

Twilight can’t utter a single word. All that comes is a river of tears as she sobs. Applejack is truly one of the most amazing friends she could ever ask for. She wraps the cowpony in a tight embrace as she cries softly on her shoulder.

“Thank you, Applejack,” she chokes out. “Thank you… so… very… much…”

Applejack returns the gesture by stroking her friend’s back. “That’s why I’m here, sugarcube.”

Apple Bloom is once again bubbling with excitement as she prances around the house, eagerly waiting for Twilight to arrive.

“Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,” Apple Bloom excitedly repeats.

“Settle down, young ’un,” says Granny Smith. “Don’t want ya spoiling the surprise now.”

Apple Bloom halts in front of her grandmother and looks at her seriously. “I wouldn’t do that, Granny. I’m just excited ta have Twilight spend the day with us before Big Mac comes back with—”

“We’re back,” Applejack cries.

Apple Bloom gasps, “Twilight!”

She speeds out of the kitchen, leaving Granny Smith chuckling at her granddaughter’s enthusiasm. Everything must go perfectly in order for their plan to work.

The little filly pounces up onto Twilight very nearly knocking her over. Fortunately, she manages to keep her balance as Apple Bloom squeezes her tightly in an embracing cuddle, nuzzling her face against the Alicorn’s chest. Seeing Apple Bloom happy brings a smile to Twilight’s face; despite the fact she had told Apple Bloom not to tell Applejack, she is glad that the little filly hadn’t listened.

“Oh, Twilight.” Apple Bloom gazes up at the Alicorn cheerfully. “I’m so happy yer spendin’ Hearth’s Warming with us. It wouldn’t be the same knowing yer all alone on this important day of tha year.” Apple Bloom rests her head against the princess’s chest as she keeps her embrace tightly held.

Twilight returns the hug as she nuzzles Apple Bloom’s mane. “I’m honored to be here, Apple Bloom. And thank you. I know I said not to tell Applejack or anypony else, but I’m glad you did. I’m just hoping I’m not intruding on your festivities.”

“Nonsense, sugarcube,” Applejack reassures her. “Like I told ya, we’re all one big family. So we’d love ta have ya join us.”

Apple Bloom switches from hugging to eagerly tugging on Twilight’s hoof. “Come on, Twilight. Granny Smith is just finishing bakin’ some Hearth’s Warming treats and we’re just about ta decorate ‘em.”

Twilight giggles at Apple Bloom’s excitement.

“Now settle down, Apple Bloom. Twilight just got here, so let her settle in first, alright?”

“Oh, it’s alright, Applejack. She’s really excited to get started, and truth is, so am I,” Twilight giggles again. “Lead the way, Apple Bloom.”

“Alright!” Apple Bloom cheers as she dashes back to the kitchen with Twilight in tow.

Applejack grins happily. So far so good. Now we wait.

Twilight reaches the kitchen just as Granny Smith is pulling a freshly made pie out of the oven. The kitchen is filled to the brim with baked goods. Most are apple treats – of course – but there are also cookies, cupcakes, scones and flapjacks. There were also plates filled with sandwiches and various different drinks that – much to Twilight’s surprise – aren’t just apple. Normally the Apples would feast almost exclusively on apples, but it seems this is not the case this time around.

Granny Smith places the freshly baked apple pie on the table along with the spread out food before turning her attention to Twilight. “Welcome, yer highness,” she says as she grandly bows towards Twilight.

Just before Twilight is about to say anything, Apple Bloom suddenly steps in front of Twilight, facing her grandmother looking a little irritated. “Granny, ya know Twilight doesn’t like ta be treated all royally. She’s just like any other pony, like us.”

“Oh, I was just bein’ polite,” Granny Smith retorted. “Do ya think I was raised in a barn?”

“Considerin’ where I grew up, yes,” Apple Bloom bluntly stated.

“Oh, yeah, right,” Granny Smith mumbles before chuckling.

Apple Bloom also lets out a lighthearted chuckle herself.

Twilight suppresses a giggle. “It’s fine, Apple Bloom. I greatly appreciate your hospitality, Granny Smith. Thank you ever so kindly for letting me be part of your Hearth’s Warming traditions.” Twilight gently bows her head in admiration.

“Oh, it’s no problem, deary. Our home is your home, so if there’s anythin’ ya want, don’t be afraid ta say.”

“Well if it’s alright, do you mind if I wash up before we get started decorating the treats?”

“No need ta even ask, sugarcube,” Applejack assures her. “Tha bathroom’s right upstairs down tha hall, second door on tha right.”

Apple Bloom trots excitedly on the spot. “Come on, Twilight, I can show ya where it is.”

“I think Twilight’s capable of finding tha bathroom on her own, sugarcube,” Applejack says sternly.

Apple Bloom blushes as she continues to trot on the spot and chuckles sheepishly. “ Well, actually, I got so excited I kinda need ta use tha bathroom myself.”

Applejack shakes her head while Twilight smiles warmly at the little filly’s eagerness. “It’s alright, sweetie, you can go first.”

“No, it’s fine, Twilight, yer tha guest, so it’s only fair fer ya ta—” Apple Bloom’s eyes grow wide before she dashes out the kitchen in a hurry. “Never mind,” she calls.

Both Twilight and Applejack started laughing as soon as Apple Bloom left.

“I just love your little sister, Applejack. Sometimes I can’t help but feel a little envious that you, Rarity and Rainbow Dash have such amazing sisters,” Twilight says.

“What about Spike?” Applejack asks.

Twilight’s eyes pop open. She was enjoying her time so much thus far that she almost completely forgotten about Spike and her family. The sudden realization puts a sorrowful look on her face as she sadly bows her head.

“I got so caught up enjoying myself, I completely forgot about him,” Twilight says, she brings a hoof to her head as the feeling of frustration grows. “How could I be so negligent as to forget about him like that?”

Applejack places a reassuring hoof on her friend's shoulder. “There, there, sugarcube. I know ya didn’t mean anythin’ by it. We all know ya love Spike like a little brother.”

Twilight smiles upon hearing that. “He’s much more than that, AJ. He’s the greatest assistant and best friend I could ever hope for. From the day I hatched his egg at my entrance exam, he’s been part of my family. From special events to birthdays to Hearth’s Warming…” Twilight stutters as her lips start to quiver, and tears start gathering in her eyes. Unable to stop, Twilight holds her hoof over her eyes as she sobs. Applejack acts quickly, holding her friend reassuringly by the shoulder. “I miss him…” she mumbles.

Applejack holds Twilight gently as she rests her head against Applejack’s shoulder and continues to sob. “I know, Twilight. But I’m sure he wouldn’t want ya ta to spend Hearth’s Warming being sad and alone. He would want ya ta smile and have a really great time.”

Twilight sniffs as she lifts her head off Applejack’s shoulder, rubbing away the tears in her eyes. “You’re right, AJ, he would want me to be happy, and that’s what I’m going to do. I just can’t help but miss him and the rest of my family. We’ve never missed a single Hearth’s Warming together since he was hatched.”

“I know, but trust me. This is gonna be tha best Hearth’s Warming ya’ve ever had, and I’m gonna make sure of it,” Applejack promises.

“Thank you again, Applejack. You truly are the greatest friend anypony could ask for,” Twilight says, a little smile finding its way to her lips.

“I’m all done,” Apple Bloom calls as she steps into the kitchen. “Bathroom’s all yours, Twilight.”

Twilight smiles as she makes her way out, teasing, “Don’t start decorating those treats without me.”

“Wouldn’t even dream of it,” Apple Bloom replies.

Suddenly thinking of something, Twilight halts. “Oh, I just realised. I haven’t seen Big Mac around since I came in. Where is he?”

The Apples freeze for just a moment upon hearing that. Applejack gives a slight cough. “Well, as ya know, sugarcube, everyone’s families are comin’ together, and some of our relatives are also attending. So Big Mac’s gone out ta make sure everything is ready fer when they arrive. Now don’t ya go thinkin’ that just because we got other members comin’ doesn’t mean yer imposing. As ya can see we got plenty of food ta eat, and I have no doubt they’ll love ta have ya here, too.”

“Are you sure about this, Applejack?” asks Twilight “It was hard enough for just the four of you, but your relatives… I’m not so—”

Applejack places a hoof on Twilight’s chest. “Listen: when I say it’s okay, I mean it. Yer a big part of tha family, Twilight, and I want ya here. And I have no doubt that ya’d do tha same fer me and my family, too.”

Twilight simply gives a smile back, saying, “Thank you,” then walks out of the kitchen and makes her way up the stairs to the bathroom.

Applejack then turns her attention to Granny Smith and Apple Bloom as she gives them both a wink, and both respond back with a wink of their own.

The next couple of hours go by quickly. As soon as they finish decorating the treats, Twilight helps the Apples finish with decorating the living room. Twilight is placing mistletoe on a doorframe as Apple Bloom walks up inquisitively.

“What’s that, Twilight?” she asks.

“It’s mistletoe,” Twilight answers. “It’s said: when two special someponies stand underneath the mistletoe they both must give each other a kiss; it’s a tradition of sorts.”

“Do they have to be special someponies?” Apple Bloom asks curiously.

Twilight taps her hoof to her chin in thought. “Hmm, normally, but I don’t think so. It really comes down to the ponies themselves if they want to or not.”

Apple Bloom stretches herself up and places a kiss on Twilight’s cheek. Twilight’s eyes widen from the unexpected contact. As Apple Bloom plops down she smiles merrily at Twilight.

“You’re very special ta me, Twilight. I just wanted ta show ya how much,” says Apple Bloom.

Twilight smiles as she bends down and places a firm kiss on Apple Bloom’s cheek, which lasted a little longer than Apple Bloom’s.

“That’s how much you’re special to me, sweetie,” she says warmly.

The two nuzzle each other as Applejack watches happily from the kitchen. Seeing that Twilight is now occupied with Apple Bloom, Applejack makes her way to the kitchen table, grabs a scarf and drapes it around her neck, then makes her way outside and heads to the orchard.

Meanwhile, back in the living room, Twilight is sitting with Apple Bloom on the sofa enjoying some hot cocoa that Granny Smith has prepared for them.

“Does your mom make hot cocoa on Hearth’s Warming?” Apple Bloom asks innocently.

“All the time. But truth be told, it isn’t as good as Granny Smith’s,” Twilight giggles, before taking a sip from her cup.

“I sure wish yer family could be here. As soon I saw how sad you were, I knew I couldn’t let that sit by.” Apple Bloom sighs, “If my family was away on Hearth’s Warming and I was all alone, I sure wouldn’t be happy at all either.”

Twilight places a comforting hoof on Apple Bloom’s shoulder. “If you were alone like I was, Apple Bloom, I would certainly take you in and spend Hearth’s Warming with just you.”

“I know ya would have. That’s why I love ya so much. Yer always there fer everypony and help with their friendship problems. Yer always there fer me and the Crusaders too, teaching us new skills during Twilight Time. Ever since ya moved ta Ponyville this town has never been better.”

“Oh, Apple Bloom, stop,” Twilight says, blushing. “I’m just like any other pony in Ponyville.”

“Maybe so, but you’re also a princess. And I don’t think anypony deserves to be one more than you.”

Twilight’s blush grows brighter. “I never knew you looked up to me like this, Apple Bloom.”

“I always have. You’re the most inspirational pony in my life, right next ta Applejack. I even plan on doing my next report on ya fer school,” Apple Bloom beams brightly.

“I’m honored,” Twilight gushes, and then sighs. “You know, today I thought I was truly going to spend Hearth’s Warming alone. But thanks to you, I not only feel happy, but I’m glad to know that no matter what life throws at us there is nothing greater or more magical than friendship. And your friendship is very important to me. Thank you, Apple Bloom.”

“No problem, Twilight. Your friendship is important ta me, too. Which is why I have somethin’ ta give ya,” Apple Bloom says as she jumps off the sofa and runs out of the room and up the stairs. Twilight is left alone, looking quite confused. She wonders what Apple Bloom could possibly give her when she’s already getting such a wonderful gift from the Apple family. She didn’t have to wait long, Apple Bloom soon returns to the living room carrying a familiar-looking doll on her back.

Twilight’s eyes widen in disbelief. “Smarty Pants!”

Apple Bloom grins at Twilight’s excited expression. “Yep,” she says, “I found her lying under my bed a couple of weeks ago.”

Twilight levitates her beloved childhood doll into her forelegs and cuddles it passionately. “I can’t believe it. She was here the whole time? How?”

“I think Big Mac hid her well enough that nopony could find her. Which would explain why she was under my bed this whole time.”

“Wait, Big Mac?” Twilight asks, bewildered. “He had Smarty Pants this whole time?”

“Yep. Ever since that incident with… um… yer spell,” Apple Bloom says, smiling awkwardly.

Twilight cringes at the very mention of that incident, but both she and Apple Bloom quickly drop it.

“I’m not sure why he took it, but I knew he didn’t have the right to. Which is why I’m giving it back to ya.”

“That’s very sweet, Apple Bloom, but despite what my mindset was that day, I would still give Smarty Pants away to someone who needed her more than me. If Big Mac wants her that much, then it’s okay for him to have her.”

“Maybe,” Apple Bloom says sternly. “But did he ever ask ya if he could keep her?”

Twilight thinks about this. “Well, no, I don’t recall him ever asking if he could keep Smarty Pants.”

“Well if a pony doesn’t ask then that’s stealin’ in my book. And I won’t sit right knowin’ my own brother took somethin’ that didn’t belong ta him.”

“I’m sure he didn’t intend to steal her. But thank you for returning her to me regardless.” Twilight bows her head thankfully.

“No problem, Twilight.”

“Just one question, though: if you found her a couple of weeks ago why didn’t you return her sooner?” Twilight asks.

Apple Bloom cringes and blushes in embarrassment. “Oh, I… uh…” she stutters.

Twilight raises a questioning eyebrow at the filly.

Apple Bloom sighs. “Promise ya won’t tell Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?”

Twilight gives a reassuring nod. “I promise.”

Apple Bloom sits back on the sofa next to Twilight and sighs. “Tha truth is… I actually like Smarty Pants. But I didn’t want Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ta think I was… weird.” Apple Bloom bows her head sadly. “I know that’s a poor excuse, and they probably wouldn’t have. But, I wasn’t so sure at the time. So I just left it. But when I found her under my bed I was really happy ta have her. I was planning ta return her ta ya soon. But I thought I’d hold on to her fer a while until I was ready ta give her back. Guess now is as good a time as any, huh?”

Twilight levitates Smarty Pants down to Apple Bloom, placing her on the little filly’s lap. Apple Bloom looks down in surprise then looks up at Twilight quite perplexed.

“I think Smarty Pants would feel much happier with you, too,” Twilight says cheerfully.

“Are ya sure?” Apple Bloom asks as she cuddles the doll in her forelegs, hoping Twilight won’t change her mind.

Twilight nods. “You shouldn’t be afraid to express your true feelings on what you like. If you really love Smarty Pants the same way I do, then there’s nopony I trust more to pass her down to.”

Apple Bloom feels tears swell in her eyes. “Thank ya so much, Twilight. I promise I’ll keep her safe.”

“I have no doubt you will. Just promise to share her with Big Mac if he needs her,” Twilight says.

“I will, but I think Smarty Pants wants ta get away from him.” Apple Bloom leans up to Twilight and she whispers, “I think he takes her in tha bath with him.”

Twilight looks stunned for a moment then both she and Apple Bloom burst out laughing. As the two friends laugh in the living room, Granny Smith watches them from the kitchen until she hears the back door open and turns to see Applejack walking in.

“How’s it all goin’?” she asks.

“Smooth as homemade applesauce,” Granny Smith replies. “Those two are really hittin’ it off. That Twilight sure makes Apple Bloom happy. It’s nice ta see her have a role model outside of the Apple family fer a change.”

“I agree with that,” says Applejack. “Everything's set outside fer tha star-gazin' tonight.”

“And is everythin’ set fer up front?”

“Sure is, should hear from Big Mac soon. If all holds up well, Twilight’s gonna get the Hearth’s Warming she rightly deserves.”

Applejack and Granny Smith both look into the living room, watching Twilight and Apple Bloom talk with each other. Apple Bloom spots Applejack and Granny Smith standing in the doorway.

“Hey, Applejack,” Apple Bloom calls. “Any chance Twilight could read us a Hearth’s Warming Tale?”

Applejack turns to Granny Smith. “Is it okay with you?”

“Of course it is. I already have a Hearth’s Warming story planned fer later anyway. Go on and enjoy yerselves.”

Applejack chuckles and salutes. “Yes, Ma’am.”

She then trots into the living room to join Twilight and Apple Bloom on the sofa. Granny Smith also decides to join them, taking a seat in her usual rocking chair. With everyone settled, Twilight levitates a book from the table and begins telling the story.

The hours quickly pass. After finishing the story, Twilight and the Apples play games, share memories, tell jokes, and even sneak a few bites from some of Granny Smith’s treats. And yet, with the sun nearly set, Twilight finds herself sitting in the kitchen with a cup of warm apple cider, alone, a slight frown on her lips.

“Y’alright, sugarcube?”

Twilight turns around in her seat to find Applejack walking into the kitchen with a questioning look on her face. Twilight’s warm smile only lasts for a second, small tears starting to well up in her eyes before she can brush them away with her hoof. Applejack reaches her just as she starts to sob and pulls her into a comforting hug.

“What’s wrong, sugarcube?” Applejack asks worryingly,

Twilight looks up at her friend as tears stream down her cheeks. “Thank… you…she babbles as she hugs her friend tightly around her neck.

“Fer what?” Applejack asks. “I told ya many times already, yer a part of our family.”

Twilight looks her friend in the eyes. “Not that, AJ…” Twilight says as she rubs away the tears from her cheek. “For making me realise something today that I never thought until now.”

Applejack looks puzzled. “And what’s that?”

“How truly amazing Hearth’s Warming really is when you spend it with not just your own family, but with everyone around you. After today, I found that when you spend it with everyone including family, there’s a special part of Hearth’s Warming that you never knew existed. It truly is an amazing feeling, I wish I could describe it. But, there are no words to describe it, only… Thank you.”

“I know exactly what you mean, Twi. But, I think there’s something else that’s botherin’ ya.”

Twilight stays silent for a moment. She sniffs, she whimpers, the tears start coming yet again, then she starts crying heavily. “I really wish my family and our friends were here to experience it!” she sobs and squeezes her friend in a tight embrace. Applejack returns the gesture by hugging her friend back.

“There, there, sugarcube. I know… I know.”

“Twilight?” The two ponies look at the door to see Apple Bloom looking quite concerned. “Are ya okay?”

“Just… a little… emotional, sweetie.

“She’s just really happy fer all we did fer her.”

Apple Bloom grins. “Ya know, I heard everythin’ ya were saying…” Apple Bloom trots towards Twilight and hugs her reassuringly, “…and I feel tha same way, Twilight,” Apple Bloom says as tears began welling up in her eyes. “I wish Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were here fer Hearth’s Warming, too.”

Twilight cuddles the little filly back. “Me too, sweetheart… me too.

The three ponies join together in a comforting group hug. They stay like that for a few minutes, only to be interrupted by the sudden sound of a loud door banging wide open, startling all three ponies and ending the tender moment.

“Come on, ya whippersnappers,” Granny Smith hollers from outside, “everythin’s all set out here.”

Twilight looks between the other two, perplexed. “What’s all set?”

Applejack smirks. “It’s a surprise, sugarcube. Just wait.”

“Come on, Twilight. Yer gonna love it,” says Apple Bloom excitedly as she grabs Twilight by the hoof and pulls her to come with her.

Twilight lifts herself off the chair and follows Apple Bloom, still holding onto her hoof as she escorts her through the kitchen and out to the orchard.

The sun is completely set now and Luna’s moon has begun to rise into the night sky. Twilight follows both Granny Smith and Apple Bloom through the apple orchard, her eyes locked on an open space in a field. There lay a picnic blanket with some snacks and drinks, and by the side of it stands a telescope aimed up towards the clear open sky.

“What’s all this?” Twilight asks.

Apple Bloom fidgets excitedly and she looks as though she wants to say something. Twilight notices this and smirks.

“Do you need to go to the bathroom again, Apple Bloom?”

Apple Bloom blushes. “No. I’m just excited.”

Applejack laughs from behind as she joins them. “Well go on and tell her, sugarcube.”

Twilight looks more confused and yet quite eager. “Tell me what?”

“Star-gazin’!” Apple Bloom announces.

Twilight’s eyes widen with excitement, “Star-gazing?”

Applejack chuckles, “Eyyup. See, every year on Hearth’s Warming, tha family comes together out here ta look at tha stars. During this time right now tha stars appear more amazin’ than ever. Ya might say that tha magic that we share on Hearth’s Warming not only spreads across Equestria but also up in tha night sky, and the sight of it is absolutely breathtaking. Especially around this spot where ya get tha best view of all.”

“Everythin’s all set up,” Granny Smith says as she adjusts the telescope carefully. “Them stars should be comin’ out any moment now.”

“Oh, wow,” Twilight gushes excitedly as she trots on the spot. “I can’t wait. I’m as excited as a school filly!”

“Ya sure you don’t just need ta go to tha bathroom, Twilight?” asks Apple Bloom with a teasing grin.

Twilight gives a sideways look at Apple Bloom, “Very funny.”

Before she can further her retort, she is interrupted by the sound of barking. Suddenly, Twilight finds herself being tackled to the ground by Winona.

“Oh hey, Winona,” Apple Bloom said. “She wanted ta wish ya a happy Hearth’s Warming, too.”

Winona happily starts licking Twilight’s face repeatedly, much to her chagrin. Applejack and Apple Bloom can’t help but laugh at Twilight’s struggles to fend off the affectionate pup.

“Yuck, oh, oomph,” Twilight sputters, “Winona, please… eeew… ohhh.”

“Come on, Winona. That’s enough,” Applejack calls through her sniggering.

Obeying her owner’s command, Winona immediately stops and jumps off of Twilight. She sits on the grass next to Applejack, her tail wagging happily. Twilight sits up, her face covered in slobber and her mane a mess. Both Applejack and Apple Bloom try hard not to burst out laughing, but they find it difficult not to.

Twilight brushes her mane thoroughly with her hoof. “Thanks, Winona,” she says sarcastically. “I was planning to have a bath tomorrow, but you’ve taken care of that already.”

Apple Bloom wraps her forelegs around Winona’s neck bringing the canine into a warm cuddle . “That’s just how thoughtful Winona is,” Apple Bloom giggles. “Always thinkin’ about others.”

Winona barks proudly.

“Sorry about that, Twilight,” AJ finally manages after a forced cough. “Winona is just as excited as the rest of us. Guess she was just really happy ta see ya with us and just wanted ta welcome ya.”

Twilight stares sternly at the canine, then smiles warmly as she walks over and pets the dog softly on the head. “Thanks, Winona.”

Winona barks back.

Winona nuzzles herself against Twilight’s leg, making her smile grow brighter.

“Get ready, y'all,” Granny Smith cries. “It’s time.”

Twilight and the Apples all turn to stare up at the night sky. So far, everything looks normal. There are stars up in the sky but nothing different than usual. Twilight gazes in wonder, her eyes darting left and right, but as far as she can tell, nothing seems any different or especially magical. Just then, her eyes grow wide and her mouth starts to slowly open. The sky that was once black begins to sheen with a lavender aura, like silk waving in the wind, or the ocean rippling on a beach. As the aura shimmers, the stars glisten and sparkle in a myriad of colors. Twilight isn’t sure, she thinks she sees them speeding across the inky blackness like shooting stars, but not a single one of them has moved. The sight of it leaves Twilight absolutely breathless.

“Ain’t it somethin’, Twi?” Applejack asks.

Twilight is speechless.

Applejack chuckles, “Yeah, that’s tha same reaction I had my first time. Shoulda told ya and tha others ages ago. But I figured it would be better ta keep it fer just me and tha family. Kinda our own little Hearth’s Warming tradition. But now I realize how selfish I was. Now, I want ta share it… with all my family.”

Applejack places her hoof on her friend's shoulder. Twilight comes out of her trance as she looks into her friend's eyes, and a caring smile starts to spread on her face. Twilight embraces her friend in a tight loving hug. Applejack hugs her back as she wraps her forelegs around Twilight, and the two sit embracing each other for a while.

Apple Bloom gently taps Twilight’s arm. Both mares stare down at the little filly in front of them.

“Sorry, but, ya really need ta have a look through the telescope, Twilight.”

“Oh yeah,” Applejack says. “I completely forgot. Whenever we come out here ta see tha stars, we all take turns looking up at them with this here telescope. And we want ya ta be tha first this year.”

Twilight holds her hoof to her chest, her emotions once again getting the better of her. “I’m not sure—”

“Oh, come on, Princess,” Apple Bloom groans as she pulls Twilight by the arm.

“Whoa!” Twilight cries as she is pushed in front of the telescope by the filly. “She sure is a strong little filly!”

“Where do ya think Applejack gets it from?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Eeyup,” Applejack says proudly, only for her eyes to pop open a moment later. “Hey!”

Twilight peers through the telescope and gasps in awe. As soon as she looks through the lens, she sees the aura so close she could practically reach out and touch it. She imagines her hoof brushing through it like water as it dances and sways like an ocean wave. The stars glittered and shined, spinning around and leaving their constellations behind, forming into different shapes. Twilight thinks she can see the image of Starswirl performing magic from his horn. To her he seems to be spreading even more stars than before, more than the ones that were content just sitting in place.

“I’ve never seen anything like this. This is beyond a doubt the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life!” Twilight looks away from the telescope as she faces all three members of the Apple family. “Thank you all for letting me be a part of this. I would never have imagined what today might bring, but thanks to all of you this day is one that I won’t ever soon forget.”

Apple Bloom brushes herself against Twilight’s chest caringly. As Twilight and Apple Bloom continue looking up at the stars, Applejack watches the two happily.

“Just you wait, Twi. Tha day’s not over yet, and there’s one last surprise waitin’ fer ya,Applejack whispers to herself. She looks up into the sky and, for a split moment, it looks like a rainbow streak has flown past quick as a flash.

And it looks like ya don’t have ta wait any longer.

Half an hour later, after finishing eating their snacks and Granny Smith reading another Hearth’s Warming story, Twilight and the Apples slowly make their way back to the house. Twilight had never grinned so much in her life; she kept purposely rubbing her cheeks with the worry that her face would end up getting stuck. Apple Bloom couldn’t help but giggle every time Twilight did so. She thought Twilight was overreacting, as she often would. But Twilight caught Apple Bloom also rubbing her cheeks the same way, trying to hide it so no one would notice.

Before they go in, Twilight steps in front of everyone and clears her throat.

“I just want to say how thankful I am for your hospitality. You’ve given me so much today, I will forever treasure it for the rest of my life. But now I’ve decided to head back home to the castle.”

The Apples go wide-eyed in shock. “What!?” They cry in unison.

Apple Bloom dashes in front of Twilight and stops her, pressing both hooves to her chest. “Ya can’t go, Twilight! Hearth’s Warming ain’t even over!”

Twilight strokes Apple Bloom’s mane consolingly. “I know, Apple Bloom. But all of you gave me so much already. Your family should be here any moment, and I really wouldn’t want to keep imposing any longer.”

Applejack groans. “But, Twil—”

“I know, Applejack, and I truly am thankful for your kindness and hospitality. But I’ve thought about this and I don’t want to burden you—”

“But ya ain’t bein’ a burden, Twilight,” says Apple Bloom. “Ya never were. Yer family!”

“I know, Apple Bloo—”

“And besides, yer still all alone in tha castle,” Apple Bloom continues. “Do ya really want ta spend the night alone again?”

Twilight’s smile fades a little; deep down she really doesn’t want to be alone tonight. But she feels that she has overstayed her welcome and no longer wants to intrude on the Apples’ holiday. But looking into Apple Bloom’s eyes, she finds it hard to say no to her.

“Please stay, Twilight,” Apple Bloom begs. “Please spend tha night with us. We still have more to share with you.”

Twilight cringes and finds no refuge when she glances towards Applejack and Granny Smith, both looking saddened by her decision.

“You really want me to stay this much?”

Apple Bloom nods hopefully.

“We wouldn’ta had ya over in tha first place if we didn’t think ya were gonna spend tha night,” Applejack states. “We even set up a room fer ya.”

Twilight’s mouth falls open. “A room,” she mutters, “for me?”

All three of the Apples nod in unison.

Twilight feels deeply touched by her friend - and her family’s - hospitality. “That is so thoughtful. I never realized that…” She loses her train of thought for just a brief moment as she looks to have made up her mind. “Of course I’ll stay.”

Apple Bloom hugs Twilight tightly, relieved by her words.

“This has been the best Hearth’s Warming I’ve ever had,” Twilight says as she cuddles Apple Bloom back. “But, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I still very much wish my family and all our friends were here to spend it with us.”

Applejack gives a brief, smirking glance at Granny Smith, who shares a knowing wink and starts making her way around the house.

“What was that, Applejack?” Twilight asks. “Where is Granny Smith going?”

“Well sugarcube, we still have one last big surprise fer ya, and it’s out front.”

Twilight stares at her, utterly perplexed, then looks down at Apple Bloom who seems anxiously excited.

“Come on,” says Applejack.

Twilight starts walking beside Applejack with Apple Bloom prancing eagerly on her other side. As they make their way around the house, Twilight keeps thinking about what Applejack could possibly have in store now, after having spent such a wonderful time today already.

“Close yer eyes,” Applejack instructs.

Still completely confused, Twilight sighs but does as she is told and closes her eyes. Applejack and Apple Bloom help guide her around the house. Shortly, Twilight is stopped in her tracks. Listening carefully, she can just make out a series of chattering voices, though they sound so quiet that she can’t quite make out what they are saying, or even who they belong to.

“Okay, Twilight,” Applejack says, “open ‘em up.”

Doing as she’s told, Twilight slowly opens up her eyes. Her mouth drops wide open, and her pupils shrink down to mere pinpricks. Standing all over Sweet Apple Acres is a crowd of ponies, hundreds, standing around chatting happily as they watch the Princess of Friendship. Every pony from Ponyville is standing on Applejack’s farm: their friends, their families, Cheerilee, the school fillies and colts, and Apple Bloom’s fellow Crusaders, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. But that isn’t all: Trixie, the Wonderbolts, Discord, Thorax, the Changelings, Ember, Sunset Shimmer, Celestia and Luna are also a part of the crowd. Plus, Twilight recognises her old friends from Canterlot standing up in the front of the crowd: Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, and of course, Moondancer.

“Hey, Twily!” the voice of a familiar stallion calls out.

Twilight holds her hooves over her mouth in anticipation. It couldn’t be…

Shining Armor steps out of the large crowd, with Cadence and Flurry Heart by his side.

“Oh, Twilight,” says Cadence, “it’s so great to see you. We were worried we would never get to spend the day with you.”

Twilight is left utterly speechless. She starts crying tears of joy and rushes over, embracing her brother and sister-in-law.

“You have no idea how happy I am to see you,” Twilight sobs.

“Same here with us, dear,” comes another voice.

Twilight’s face returns to looking shocked, for out steps Twilight Velvet, and Big Mac pulling a cart hitched to his back with Night Light resting inside, his left hoof all bandaged up.

“How are you, Twilight?” Night Light asks. “Hope you haven’t had a miserable Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

“Mom?” Twilight asks, looking completely flabbergasted, “Dad?”

“It’s us, sweetie,” Twilight Velvet reassures her, “We wouldn’t miss this for all of Equestria.”

Twilight darts towards her mother, engulfing her in a fierce hug. She starts to sob uncontrollably, filled with absolute joy; this is a miracle!

“You’re really here,” Twilight gasps. “I just can’t believe it! But, Dad, what about—”

“My hoof?” Night Light asks. “Even with that snowstorm freezing over the tracks, your Mom and I wouldn’t miss this for all of Equestria. Nothing could ever keep us away from being with you on Hearth’s Warming.”

Twilight beams happily as tears continue raining down her face. “But still,” she murmurs, “how?”

“You have Applejack to thank for all of this. It was her idea to send her brother across Equestria to gather all of us together.” Twilight Velvet explains.

Rainbow Dash hovers above them. “And as soon as AJ filled us in on what happened and what you were planning to do for Hearth’s Warming, we didn’t waste a second to jump in and help out. So I went along with Big Mac to help keep the weather in check, and patrol from the sky for any signs of trouble during the journey.”

Fluttershy walks up towards Twilight and places a consoling hoof on her shoulder. “Nopony deserves to be alone on Hearth’s Warming, so while Applejack kept you busy, all of us worked together to gather up everypony in town and prepare to bring all our families and all our friends across Equestria, and be here for you.”

“All of you did this, for me?” Twilight asks.

“Of course, silly!” Pinkie Pie says, springing up out of nowhere. “You can’t spend Hearth’s Warming all alone in a dark, dingy old castle.” Pinkie Pie is met with a series of stern glances. “Uh, of course, I meant a dark, cozy new castle,” she chuckles awkwardly.

The ponies all laugh together. Especially Twilight. This is truly the happiest she’s ever been, and yet she still feels a small hole in her heart, as though something or someone is missing.

“Twilight!” another familiar voice cries out somewhere in the crowd.

Twilight gasps, “Spike!”

From out of the crowd comes the small purple dragon, rushing towards his mother figure. Leaping in the air he wraps his arms tightly around Twilight’s neck in a strong hug. Twilight doesn’t waste a second hugging him back, no less tightly.

“Oh Spike, I can’t believe you’re really here,” Twilight gushes cheerfully.

“Me neither. If Big Mac and Rainbow hadn’t come along when they did, I was sure I was going to miss spending Hearth’s Warming with you.”

“Same goes for us.”

“Starlight!?” cries Twilight.

Indeed, stepping out from the crowd is Starlight Glimmer, as well as some of her friends from her old town.

“As it just so happens, my friends and I were also at the Crystal Empire visiting Sunburst just a day before the tracks froze over. As soon as we heard what happened to you we didn’t waste a moment to come here to be with you for Hearth’s Warming,” Starlight explains.

All the ponies around cheer loudly, giving all their support to be here for Princess Twilight Sparkle. As Twilight looks around, surrounded by all the friends she’s made over the years, she feels her heart blazing like the symbol of Hearth’s Warming. This day, this time, this very moment was truly the most perfect gift anypony could ever receive. She looks over towards Applejack and her family, then graciously makes her way up to them, tears still wetting her cheeks. The sight of it causes Applejack to tear up herself.

“Applejack, thank you,” Twilight says, hugging her friend.

“It’s my pleasure, sugarcube. But if ya want ta thank anyone, ya hafta thank Apple Bloom. If she never told me what was happenin’ with ya, none of this woulda been possible.”

Apple Bloom blushes. “Aw shucks, Applejack. I was only doin’ what I felt was right. I never coulda lived with myself if I didn’t say anythin’. I care as much about Twilight as much as I care about y'all and my friends.”

Twilight walks over and nuzzles Apple Bloom’s cheek. “Thank you, sweetheart, and I truly care about you, too. I’m really happy you told Applejack, because right now, there’s no other gift that I could ask for better than this very moment, right now. I will treasure this forever.”

Everypony around the farm cheers loudly in celebration. There’s no doubt in anypony’s mind that this truly is the best Hearth’s Warming ever. Seeing everypony together not only brings a smile to Twilight’s face but to Apple Bloom’s as well. Seeing everypony talking and laughing together makes her heart fill with absolute joy. Yesterday, after visiting Twilight, she was worried that there wasn’t going to be a Hearth’s Warming if she didn’t say anything. Now, upon seeing the amazing festive fun transpiring in front of her, Apple Bloom can’t deny that this is the real gift of Hearth’s Warming.

With her heart filled with joy, Apple Bloom starts humming a festive tune that starts out low and slowly grows. As it does, ponies hum along as Apple Bloom starts to sing, then they join her.


“When we all have come together—”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“There’s nothing and nowhere better!”

“No greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“And this I swear,

There’s always time ta spare,

And plenty love ta share!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”


Applejack then moves up next to her sister and pulls her into a tight sidelong hug before joining in…


“Laughs and stories we can share…”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“With each stallion and mare!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“But no matter where,

As long as family’s there,

That’s really all I care!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”


Soon everypony joins together, singing in chorus.



“Now that we have all amassed—

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!

There’s nothing else that we could ask!

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!

And now at last,

We’re here with our whole cast,

And tonight will be a blast!

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”


Her heart filling with joy as well, Twilight steps up, and the crowd goes silent.


“Oh Hearth’s Warming’s a time for family, and friends that we hold dear.

But I had thought I’d be alone, and so I lost my cheer.

But now I don’t feel like before,

And the magic’s in my heart once more,

‘Cause everyone I could ask for

Is all standing right here!”


With a happy tear in her eye, Twilight once again looks back and forth at the giant group of ponies all there to support her, and continues singing along with the crowd.


“And now we’re back in our swarm!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“The holiday has a new norm!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”

“No matter the storm,

We’re all safe and warm

In the memories we form!”

“There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!”


Twilight is soon engulfed in what is the biggest group hug she’s ever had. Spike, all her Ponyville and Canterlot friends, her parents, Starlight, the Cutie Mark Crusaders and even the Apple family, they all join in, and Twilight doesn’t want it to end, ever. As she and friends and family embrace, the rest of the ponies continue with their chorus.


“Now it’s time to celebrate!

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!

All together, feeling great!

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!

Can’t hardly wait!

We’ll party ‘til late!

Our favorite date!

There’s no greater gift than Hearth’s Warming!


Happy, happy, Hearth’s Warming—

A happy, happy…”


As the ponies sing deep into the night, the lavender silk above starts to spread, growing brighter as it takes over the night sky. As if the very spirit of the ponies themselves is making it grow stronger. Multi-colored stars shoot through the sky, leaving behind streaks of rainbow that twirl around into the blazing heart of Hearth’s Warming. And there it stays throughout the night as the ponies celebrate ‘til dawn.

THE END

Author's Note:

This is my entry for the NaPoWriMo 2017. :pinkiehappy:

I originally started on this sometime near the middle or end of October and been working on it through the whole month of November.

I wasn't so sure whether or not to take part in this NaPoWriMo. But, once I came up with the idea for this story I figured why not give it a try and see how I do. This is also my very first time taking part in a NaPoWriMo so I hope I do my best. But in the unlikely chance of winning, I would like to wish everyone else who is taking part the best of luck and hope they do their best as well. :twilightsmile:

I'd also like to give huge thanks to Level Dasher for his help working on the lyrics for the song. For those who don't know, the song is based on "Hearth's Warming Eve Is Here Once Again" from the episode A Hearth's Warming Tail:

In order to get a clear idea of how the song goes, we based the lyrics on an MLP song so everyone could get a familiar tune in their heads (and used the last part directly from the original).

*All property of MLP FiM solely belongs to Hasbro and DHX*



I hope that you all enjoyed the story as I wanted to give something truly special, especially with Christmas right round the corner. Which is also why I want to make this an early gift for all of you as a way of thanks for the time I spent here on FIMFiction. Whether you like it or not your comments and opinions are what help motivate me to improve my writing so for that I thank you. :twilightsmile:

I hope that you all will continue to look forward to more of my stories like this one in the near future and hope you all will have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile: :raritywink:

Comments ( 14 )

Gotta say, some of those lyrics are pretty freakin' hard to rhyme when you need five at a time. Can't really blame me for going back to the original at the end, right? :heart:

Very nicely done. A feel good story that feels like a pony episode. Best of luck in the contest. :)

8591592 Thank you so much. :twilightsmile:

This so deserves a fav and a like

Good story. However…

Doing as she’s told, Twilight slowly opens up her eyes. Her mouth drops wide open, and her pupils shrink down to mere pinpricks. Standing all over Sweet Apple Acres is a crowd of ponies, hundreds, standing around chatting happily as they watch the Princess of Friendship. Every pony from Ponyville is standing on Applejack’s farm: their friends, their families, Cheerilee, the school fillies and colts, and Apple Bloom’s fellow Crusaders, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. But that isn’t all: Trixie, the Wonderbolts, Discord, Thorax, the Changelings, Ember, Sunset Shimmer, Celestia and Luna are also a part of the crowd. Plus, Twilight recognises her old friends from Canterlot standing up in the front of the crowd: Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, and of course, Moondancer.

I think you went overboard here.

Nice. Ending really captures the feel of old Christmas specials.

Very Hearthwarming from start to end

10437083
No this is an entirely different story separate from Mum's the Word.

This is heartwarming, but I feel there is maybe a bit too much overdoing (some scenes and dialogues a bit too forced, some emotions a bit too strong, some relationships a bit too strong compared to the show's - some background on how these bonds tightened would have been good -, the 2 Sisters, Ember, Thorax, Trixie, the Wonderbolts, ... all coming in - I'd have settled on Twilight's family, the Apple family, then, at most, the rest of the CMC and Mane 6 and their family -, ...)

That was a good story.

Login or register to comment