• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 406 Views, 20 Comments

Humans Are Awesome - NightwatchTheRogue



Lyra, awesome humans, and a portal that leads her to them. This is going to be amazing, except for the fact Lyra is dead there. Wait... what just happened?

  • ...
9
 20
 406

(Renewed) Act 1 Prologue: ... and I want to live in their world. The world filled with Humans

Author's Note:

Note:

(The green bold texts) are Lyra's comments/thoughts that are not written on the journal

Okay, here goes nothing...

Log Journal Entry 1

(Second Month of Autumn, Day 08, Year 5 of Luna's Return Era)

Journal Topic: My Existence Dream

I wished...

No, I STILL wish that I was born a human.

I wish to be a creature that was born with no magical powers that make unicorns lazy and arrogant towards the magicless and, in exchange, gain abilities that easily prove that I worked hard and can get along with any creature.

I want to be an adventurous creature who can do anything with only their natural born skills and opposable thumbs.

I'm talking about Humans.

To be a Human is my only wish.

There!

I finally said those embarrassing words.

I said what I have wanted to shout on top of a cliff for all the residents of Equestria and beyond to hear... in a literate form since Bon-bon said that calling on top of a cliff near Ponyville would ensure that I lose (if I had any) good reputation I have towards the town ponies.

Just saying what I wanted in a somewhat poetic speech in the first entry of this journal now, instead of wasting two or four chapters of being obscure at telling you (the journal) about my (boring as f-ing Tartarus) daily life before finally saying it at the very last page.

(Where was I going with this?

Oh right...)

Humans.

Humans!

HUMANS!

(Oops, I drooled a lot after thinking about Humans again. Sorry, newly purchased journal)

(And sorry, sorry for writing only HUMANS! in really, really large letters on the entire page)

I have been (way) into humans since I was a little filly.

But I swear this isn't an obsession.

It's my wish.

Innocent.

(But I do want to know what my Human version's body looks like underneath their clothes)

(Nope, nope and nope. Evil thoughts, Lyra Heartstrings)

(Not gonna write that in the journal)

Okay, enough silliness.

It's time to write something profound.

I will record my first encounter with the creature I desire to be.

I met a genuine human here in Equestria, but nopony, even my friends, believed me, and some even made fun of or bullied me for that discovery.

When Father discovered this, he...

...

However, their doubtful (and, instead, tear-inducing) jeers won't stop me from remembering that day like it was just eight years ago.

It was during Hearth's Warming Day in Canterlot; My friends & I were playing snowball fights outside the Canterlot walls.

Twilight Sparkle was too busy reading her books instead of playing with us like always, and Moon Dancer got sick for a whole week, and the snow completely melted when she got better. We felt terrible that Moondancer didn't get to play, so we gave her a "we're happy you're better now" party that my penpal (who I later knew is the 2nd most beautiful Earth Pony mare that I met in Ponyville) and showered her with lots of presents. That's all that mattered.

We were playing near a small frozen lake, building our own snow castle and snow ponies, and skating at the frozen lake.

It was a typical fillyhood moment except more amazing as that day was when I had a fantastic encounter with fate… or whatever an event of meeting an actual, breathing human for the first time is called.

I met my first human after my friends decided to go home early, leaving me behind at the lake. I was too occupied even to notice that everyone left me alone. I didn't want to go home so soon.

I was making an army of snow ponies for my snow castle until I discovered I was alone; I decided to keep building the army to distract myself from the cold and the very next day.

I was thrilled to be playing in the snow. I thought that day would be a regular carefree day. However, I didn't realise then that my life was about to change forever.

...

Dear Luna, that was incredibly lame to write down. Thank goodness, BonBon can't hear my writing.

Oops, but she can hear me speak my thoughts out loud. I should've written this at my workshop. Sorry, Sweetie.

Anyway, this massive ball of flashing white light suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and then this weird bipedal creature came out from the light.

I thought at first she was some Diamond Dog or hornless Minotaur species, but she had no tail; her muzzle was small & flat, her ears were… weird looking and basically, everything about her looked wrong at first. She had a bizarre fur coat with pouches on her stomach, which I thought was a kangaroo-like creature, and the pouches were used to carry her offspring and food.

If I meet a human in my current timeline and mentality, I would be jumping over the moon with ecstasy, but back then...

I was petrified and speechless when I first saw that human. I almost puked when she tried to approach me. I thought she would hurt me, but instead, she hugged me and stroked my mane a little rough.

She giggled with amusement and said things like "Oh my gosh, you are so cute" and "I want you to be my pony" to me as if I were her pet.

"Oh my gosh, I want you to come home with me", She happily said. She was beginning to stroke my mane a little too rough, irritating me.

"... Ouch!" I yelled in annoyance, "Knock it off; you're gonna tear off my mane."

She stopped stroking my mane after I finally said something. I looked at her face to properly speak to her, but as soon as I did that, she had a shocked expression.

She started to shriek at me in fear as if she saw a monster or something scary. She pushed me down and ran behind a rock.

I tried to get up from the snow-covered ground but heard a cracking noise. Unfortunately, I got shoved towards the lake with a thin layer of ice.

I wanted to jump away from the lake, but it was too late; the frozen lake floor gave in, shattered open a large hole, and collapsed into the freezing water.

I was crying for help, but there was nopony around to assist me except for the creature who pushed me into the lake. I was flailing my hooves all over the place. It was too cold to swim appropriately, and there was no solid ground to hold on to.

I shouted at the strange creature for help; she looked hesitant to escape her rock. I yelled louder as I desperately struggled to stay afloat on the lake.

It took about a third time of screaming at her for help that she finally took action. I don't blame her for hesitating now, but I blamed her for a bit that time. She tried to reach out to me, and she grabbed my hooves with her… fingers? I think they're called fingers.

After leaving the icy lake, I was shivering because of the weather and the chilling water, which meant I got hypothermia. I was beginning to pass out from the cold, but the creature suddenly opened her fur, which freaked me out, and she placed me in her stomach.

I panicked from that situation, but my cold distracted me even to care. I fell unconscious, however, not before feeling a strange but comforting warmth from her stomach.

When I regained consciousness, I was in a dark, damp hollow cave, and the creature was huddling alone in the centre of the cave, trying to do something with a bundle of sticks and… hay?

It appeared that she was trying to light up a fire, but all I saw was her bashing a bunch of rocks against each other. I thought that the cold was getting to her, but then I saw sparks coming out of the stones, which landed on the hay, there was smoke coming out, and she proceeded to blow on it.

To my surprise, she started a fire; I was amazed to see her make fire without magic. I thought what she did was impossible for anypony who's not a unicorn or a creature capable of performing magic.

It took me a few years to see and know that anypony can start fires with a flint and steel or that there were many methods to ignite a fire. I live in a city filled with snobby magic-using unicorns.

Leave me alone on that, okay?

"Wow," I said quietly, as I didn't want the creature to notice. I woke up and scared her.

But it was pointless; my soft voice echoed throughout the cave. The creature approached me and touched my forehead.

I cringed as I thought she would eat me, just like the dragons used to do in Equestria before the princesses came into power. However, she was checking my temperature.

She was reaching for something from her… stomach pouch, I thought at the time. She pulled out a carrot.

"Here you go," she politely said. She placed the carrot on the ground before me. "You must be hungry, huh?"

"Yes," I weakly replied as the cold affected my throat.

"I saved this for my snowman, but you can have it."

Snow... man? Does she mean a "snowpony"? What's a man? I had so many questions about that statement, but I was famished then, and I needed food for energy to fight off the cold.

My horn started to glow, used my magic to clumsy levitate the carrot into my mouth. Before I could bite, I heard the creature gasp again, and I dropped my carrot.

"What was that?" she gleefully asked me. Her face was getting closer to mine, which made me uncomfortable. "Was that magic?"

"Yes?" I replied casually as if she never saw magic before. She did come out from a mysterious light, so why would she be impressed with simple levitation magic if she can start fires with a bunch of rocks and sticks (again, leave me alone)? Doesn't she have magic where she came from?

"Oh man, you can use magic. I wish I could use magic… wait, are you a unicorn?"

"Yes? I am a unicorn, and I can use magic."

Without skipping a beat, she replied with so much glee. "Oh my gosh. Well, I'm a human, and I want to learn how to use magic just like you" Her eyes were sparkling with delight that outshines the cave's darkness.

"What's a human?" is the typical question that anypony would ask. I didn't realise at the time that question would open a whole new world to me.

"Well, a human is what I am. Two legs, arms, hands, ten fingers, and toes." She responded while wiggling her "fingers" close to my face. They looked like pale carrot sticks. "And also, I'm a girl."

"Well then, I'm a unicorn pony. Four legs and hooves, one horn, fluffy tail, and no fingers or toes," I replied jokingly and waved her back with my left forehoof. "I'm a filly."

Our introduction exchange made both of us laugh out loud. Our booming chuckling echoed throughout the cave, which calmed us down and warmed up the area.

After that icebreaker (no pun intended), the human and I began to talk more about what we were, where we came from and what our worlds offer.

She told me she came from Manehattan, but she said that her family was moving to the suburbs called Ponyville Street in a few days. These locations she mentioned sounded familiar to me; I realised later that I'd seen those names on the maps of Equestria.

I visited a similar-sounding city called Manehattan as my first location for my journey as I thought that area might be related to that human's location... and I have to say I did not care for that place.

Terrible city noises that might be the cause of me still hearing ringing noises inside my ear, disgusting overpriced food, rude ponies, and the hotel that I stayed in scammed me out of thirty bits for "special room service", which I never got, by the way. I should've gone to Ponyville first, and I could have saved a lot of time and Father's "borrowed" bits.

Wait, where was I going with this?

I told her I lived in a capital city called Canterlot and studied magic and music with my friends/classmates at The School for Gifted Young Unicorns.

The human then asked me what my Cutie Mark in my flanks was for. Well, in actuality, she called it "my tattoos on my butt". I told her it was a mark that told me my destiny and identity.

She called it out as "stupid, "it made me furious at first for insulting my mark, but she explained that a mark or symbol doesn't tell me what I can do with my life; it's my actions that she thinks determines my future.

She both amazed me by telling me that I can be anypony I want to be without Father or others ordering me around. And annoyed me because now I think my Cutie Mark is useless as a destiny symbol; I only see it now as my brand to tell everyone what I own. Which is cool, I guess?

We exchange every piece of information that we can think of about our world. Her world is called Earth, while mine is Equestria. The main inhabitants of her homeworld are humans like she is, and mine are magical ponies (except for other creatures. I should not discriminate against others like a typical Canterlot unicorn). She says their world's magic is rare, and I told her Equestria provides infinite amounts of magic to everyone.

There were some weird ones that the human mentioned, like when she said that wearing clothes was mandatory and they had no fur, apart from the tiny strands of hair in their skin. My reply was that most of the ponies walk around naked because we have thick coats covering our... inner private layer or whatever perverted things you want to describe.

Okay, stop thinking about it, you pervert.

...

Wait, did I call myself a pervert?

Ah, whatever. I'm the only one reading this journal anyway... I hope so.

Another was the internet; she described it as "tiny invisible numbers in the air that fly around everywhere and carry information such as messages... and cat videos?" And they go inside big metal boxes called a monitor to see these cat videos.

I got lost when she said "tiny invisible numbers" . But I now realise that every morning I wake up and breathe the air, I think of math, and I suck at math.

Breathing tiny invisible numbers made me bad at math. Yeah, I don't get the logic either.

Okay, back to the point.

I returned that confusion to the girl when I gave her a specific description of what kinds of magic we have in Equestria. I told her that there are three Pony tribes, each one with its own unique abilities and physical features. She was most interested in this one as she stared at me with unblinking eyes.

"Taking mental notes," She told me; I picked up on that habit whenever I got new information on humans. It creeped everypony out, especially Bon-Bon, but she tells me that's one of the reasons why she loves me.

First was my tribe, the Unicorns. They have horns like mine but come in different shapes and sizes. I once met a unicorn that had a crazy curly horn. They were weird and too close for comfort but friendly, unlike your typical unicorn, pretentious and have a bundle of carrots up their asses.

All Unicorns focus their entire lives on studying and learning many spells. The majority left their studies after learning the regulated elemental attacks. In contrast, the rest continued and became scholars, hoping they could construct new ones independently and cast powerful spells that historic Unicorn mages crafted to see how beneficial they were. Most who left their studies took on prestigious careers such as fashion design, jewel crafting and stage performances. The rest were already rich due to their ancestors' history in business and nobility; basically, they could do whatever they wanted in life and follow their dreams without struggle or hardship, unlike me in my family.

Next was the fast and headstrong Pegasi.

They have wings and laid-back manes and can manipulate the weather anytime they want. They can make any section of Equestria have any temperature as long as they schedule ahead of time and notify the populace. Yeah, I never knew and cared much about Pegasi, for my thoughts on them are that they are all arrogant and attention-seeking show-offs. Henceforth, I describe them as headstrong because they make the most overbearing unicorn seem tamed.

And lastly, the Earth Ponies, my favourite pony tribe.

What they lack in horns and wings, Earth ponies' magic makes up for it with their strength and intuition to perform everyday tasks such as gardening, construction, solving problems with efficiency & convenience, and any other manual labours. They were innovators in non-magic technology, agriculture, culinary and knowledge. Most of their career roles are teachers, chefs, farmers, and some exceptional cases, party ponies such as Pinkie Pie, whom I had the pleasure of meeting during her visit to Canterlot, but truly knew about her and became somewhat close friends with after I moved to Ponyville.

She's a great instant best friend when we first met. She was the one who suggested I come to Ponyville and stay there as a permanent resident. She's also the one who introduced me to Bon Bon, my marefriend. I always come to her parties whenever I have free time from my job as a musical instruments shop owner and human researcher.

She is charming.

I liked Earth ponies the most as they come with prominent families who are close and rely on each other all the time. I was always jealous of Earth ponies because they get to go home, see their families & relatives smiling at them and help them with their homework or other things.

All I have is Father.

Anyway, that night in the cave was the best day of our lives as we continued telling stories about ourselves and our world. As we hugged each other near the fire inside the cave that night, we felt like we could've been best friends who could visit each other's worlds and try new things together.

Too bad it was the only night we got to hang out with each other as the next day, the human disappeared, and everypony was searching for me that night.

Father was outraged when I got back home. He called me a disgrace to the "Heartstrings" title, and I should be---

You know what, forget about it. I don't want to write any more of "that next day". It's not like anypony is going to see this journal anyway.

Goodbye and Goodnight for now, Journal and sorry for ruining a good page with my... issues.

Oh, by the way, this is Lyra Heartstrings writing to you for the first time. Sorry again; I forgot to tell you my name. Goodbye again.