• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 508 Views, 2 Comments

Cassius's Story - Evilhumour



Cassius, a teenage batpony and son of the Lunar Guard captain Cold Justice, begins a new and more challenging chapter in his life when he moves to Canterlot with his father.

  • ...
 2
 508

Chapter Two

As I walked beside the gold and purple plated pony, I tried to take in all of my surroundings that would become my new home.

“It’s impressive, isn’t Cassius?” Captain Shining Armor asked with a slight chuckle in his voice, walking slowly as if I needed it. While I wasn’t a recruit, I did keep in shape so I could walk a bit faster than this. “I mean, the castle is very nice, is it not Cassius?” He said much slower and louder, causing me to wince.

“I understand how Equestrian sound, I just not speak it good,” I said, rushing to get the most basic sentence out of my mouth.

“Ah, sorry,” Shining Armor said while rubbing the back of his head. “I haven’t had much of a chance to talk to Cold Justice and even then, it was usually just matters of state.”

“I see,” I said, knowing how dull and disturbing that could be. Ever since I’d read the casefile that my dad had on Grand Stage, I’d kept far away from his work. “And Canterlot Castle is very nice, Captain Armor.”

“That it is,” Shining Armor said as we turned off a main hallway and into a much small corridor that had a number of ponies milling about. “These are the barracks of the average guard. Those that choose to live on the castle grounds, anyway. Those who choose not to are considered the Reserve Guard and tend to cooperate with the local law enforcement of their place of residence, such as Manehatten or Fillydelphia. They, like you will, have a pass that allows them entry in and out of the castle at anytime but do try and not to come in late as they will report to either me or your dad, and I will not be able to cover for you if your dad asks as I’m sure he can tell when somepony is lying to him.”

“That is Dad,” I said with a chuckle as we started to travel up some stairs, getting to the higher ranked pony quarters. <He’s always on my case to be home at a proper time, and make sure I go to bed at the exact right time, every time.>

Shining Armor just blinked at me, ear twitching before I realized my mistake. <I-> Shaking my head, I started again. “I am sorry, Noxian is very used for me.”

“It’s okay, Cassius,” he said as he directed me towards to a door down the hallway. “Here is the apartment where you and your father will be staying for the foreseeable future.” Which meant for the next two years at least, when I was legally able to be on my own as an adult.

I walked through the small apartment, a kitchen right to the front, with three doors down a small hallway. The round kitchen table was covered in the boxes that dad and I packed up back at the old home.There was a large enough window at the opposite end of the door for me to climb in and out of, although I doubt it opened enough for me to sneak in if I ever did stay out late enough. “The bedroom on the left is yours,” Shining said behind me, directing me towards the door.

Opening it up, I saw a simple esque bed set up, with a dresser off to the side, a bookcase set up and a ton of my boxes that had all my stuff in it.

With a smile, I focused on the box that had my books in it and opened to see if they were okay, pulling out each one with a flick of my tail. Tracing my hoof across the cover of the book, Stellar War, I heard a snicker behind me.

“I read that series when I was younger, it’s pretty good, eh?” Shining asked as he placed a hoof on my shoulder.

“Yes, very good,” I smiled up at him, nodding my head as I began to put my books away. “I not expect you to read this. Very...” I rumbled, trying to remember how to say this in Equestrian and not insulting him.

“Nerdish?” he asked with a smile on his face. “You might not believe it but I was kind of a geek back when I was your age.”

“Really?” I asked, surprised to hear that the Solar Captain was a nerd.

“Oh yeah, I was totally into O & O back then and I had zero chance in actually getting a mare,” he snickered, shaking his head. “I’m so lucky that Cady was foalsitting Twily or I’d have never gotten a chance to talk to her… or date her.” He began to blush at this point, smiling fondly.

“Cady is who?” I asked, tilting my head as I put away more of my books.

“Ah, Cady is… um, she is,” Shining Armor began to stammer before he collected himself. “She is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza… and we're kinda engaged.”

“Wow!” I shouted, completely surprised. <My dad hasn’t told me squat about this, when’s the wedding?>

“What? I can’t understand you.” Shining Armor said, causing me to wince as I slid back in Noxian again.

“Sorry. I ask time you and Cady are…” I trailed off, wondering how to say wedding in Equestrian. I just couldn’t think of how to phrase it properly. “...Together long time?”

“Together long time-oh, you are asking when our wedding is, right?”

“Yes, that,” I said, feeling my face heating up. “Words still hard for me to say right.”

“It’s okay,” Shining Armor said as his horn lit up and began to help me unpack my stuff and put them away on the higher shelves with his magic. “It will take you some time but I’m sure you’ll get it.”

“Yes, me too,” I said while I started to fill my drawers with my clothes. “Make school hard when I cannot speak good.” I grumbled as I continued to sound like an idiot. <I’ll finally be able to talk like an actual pony again.>

“Huh?” Shining Armor asked me as he paused with the last of my books in his magic. “Sorry Cassius, I really need to learn Noxian.”

“It okay,” I said, giving him a smile. “Thank you for all help. All the help.” I said, correcting myself, a smile on my face. “Maybe I help?”

“Heh, that might be fun, but we’re both busy,” Shining said. “I’ve got work and you’ve got school and...” Shining tapped his chin and tilted his head. “Not sure who has it worse and not sure if it is worth trading…”

“Sorry, no do,” I said, frowning as I slipped over the words and shook my head. “No can do; my father do not want me in guard.” I struggled over my words again, trying to get things to sound normal.

“Huh,” Shining said, looking at me oddly. “Most guards would want their kids in the guards like them.”

“Dad is Dad,” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “I also no- do not want to be in guard.”

“To each their own, I guess,” Shining said. “Do you need any more help here or are you good?”

<I think I’m good,> I said before realizing I had slipped back into Noxian. Turning to face Shining to correct myself, the stallion gave me a smile.

“It’s okay, I got the tone of what you said,” he said, flashing me a smile. “If you’re sure you’re good, I will see you later.”

Nodding my head, I watched the stallion walk out of my apartment and closed the door in front of me.

Comments ( 2 )

This is going well so far. I loved it whenever Cassious tries to speak Equestrian. I suggest adding an OC tag to make your story easier to find.

This could be interesting :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment