• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 1,595 Views, 9 Comments

Pear Family Gathering - Mirror Star



The Apple Siblings and Sugar Belle are invited to a family gathering being hosted by a few members of the Pear Family. However, Grand Pear and Granny Smith are not allowed to attend or at least they aren't welcomed to attend this gathering

  • ...
0
 9
 1,595

Father and Son

(Flashback)

At the Pear farm, the mail pony left the mail in the mailbox. Pear Butter came out of the house to get the mail and bring it in the house.

Pear Butter said to Roast Pear and Grand Pear "Mail's here."

Grand Pear asked "Anything good?"

Pear Butter said "From the looks of it, letters from family and a few order request."

Roast Pear asked "Is it here? Did it come in already?"

Pear Butter said giving him a red book "You bet, Big Brother. Amazing Creatures and Where to Locate them."

Roast Pear said with an excited tone"Excellent. I've been waiting for this for weeks now."

Grand Pear said rolling his eyes "I don't get what see in that stuff. Most of those creatures aren't going to be anywhere near a farm."

Pear Butter said noticing an envelope falling out of the book "Huh? What's this?"

Roast Pear said looking at the envelope "A piece of mail that got caught in the book; I doubt the mail pony noticed. Since it's for somepony in Ponyville, I'll go deliver it to them myself."

Pear Butter asked "Who does it belong too?"

Roast Pear said "Don't worry about it, sis; I've got it taken care of."

Pear Butter said "Ok."

Roast Pear said after Grand Pear took the envelope "Hey."

Grand Pear said throwing the envelope in the trash "It's a letter addressed to the Apples."

Roast Pear said getting the envelope out of the trash "That's low, even for you."

Grand Pear demanded "What do you think you're doing?"

Roast Pear said as he heads out"Dropping this off at their mailbox or giving it to one of them. It's not right to throw away their mail like that, regardless of your stupid feud with the Annie Smith."

Grand Pear said before Roast Pear interrupted him "Son, those apples are....."

Roast Pear said mocking him "Scoundrel farmers. Liars and cheaters. They'll destroy everything that we Pears love. Blah, Blah, Blah. I've heard it all before from you; it got old real fast."

Grand Pear said "You need to take this feud more seriously."

Roast Pear said "No I don't, because it's not only a complete waste of time but also it doesn't affect my future."

(End of Flashback)

Roast Pear and Grand Pear are looking at each other while Starkrimson Pear is watching.

Roast Pear said"So, you decided to show up here after all."

Grand Pear said "My grandchildren, your nieces and nephew, convinced me to attend."

Roast Pear said looking at Starkrimson"Uncle Starkrimson, could you leave us alone for a while?"

Starkrimson said to Roast Pear "Alright." He says to Grand Pear before leaving " I'll be waiting at Hole 10 for you so don't try to leave without me."

Grand Pear said trying to start a conversation with his son "So, I heard from Falcon Eye that your making sure things are perfect for the gathering. But from what I can tell, your setting things up for the Pear Family Scavenger Hunt."

Roast Pear said grabbing out a book "I am. It's going to be the second to last activity for the gathering. I've already hidden various items all around the area; I only have these 5 items left to hide in accordance to the clues that Falcon Eye made."

Grand Pear said noticing the book "Isn't that "Amazing Creatures and Where to Locate Them?""

Roast Pear said "It is. This book served me well; however, given the current state of Equestria, it's out of date and is no longer useful. Now, all this book does is gather dust in my house and is going to be used for a scavenger hunt."

Grand Pear said holding up a frame that contains a letter in it "And this? Why would you use this in a scavenger hunt; isn't it important?"

Roast Pear said snatching it away from Grand Pear "It is; that's why I'm using it for the scavenger hunt. If I remember correctly, you hated this the moment you saw it."

(Flashback)

Grand Pear said holding up a letter with a Celestia gold seal on the front "What is this!?"

Roast Pear said taking the letter from Grand Pear "A letter of acceptance into the Royal Guard training academy."

Pear Butter said to her brother "Congratulations."

Grand Pear asked Pear Butter with an annoyed-angry tone "You knew about this?"

Roast Pear said "No she didn't. I didn't tell anypony about this."

Grand Pear said "Your lying; you told somepony so you could do the application in secret."

Roast Pear said "Maybe I did; Maybe I didn't. Doesn't matter anyway."

Grand Pear said "There is no way I'm paying you to go to that school and be some lazy guard that does nothing around the castle; I don't care if it's to protect and serve the princess."

Roast Pear said "Well, I got news for you. One, it won't cost you a thing since I managed to get a free ride into the academy; and even if it did cost me anything, I would pay for it myself without your help. And two, I don't intend to stay in the castle if I play my cards right; I plan on being in the Royal Guard Creature Hunting Team. They deal with wild creatures in Southern Equestria and other places that are considered important to the Princess. They only take the best of the best and I'm going to be one of their best. Basic training starts in three weeks."

Grand Pear said getting in his son's face "And what makes you think that I'll allow this?"

Roast Pear said getting in his father's face "What makes you think that you can stop me?"

(Flashback Ends)


Roast Pear said "Pear Butter broke us up before we could start an actual fight over this. You gave me three days to get over this "silly" dream of mine or else. But you remember that, don't you?"

Grand Pear said "I do. I didn't want you to go because I wanted you and Pear Butter to stay on the farm and continue the tradition of farming. But you didn't have an interest in such a thing; you wanted to fight monsters and defend ponies like your favorite story book heroes and legends, like Flash Magnus for instance."

Roast Pear said "So, you do remember my favorite legend?"

Grand Pear said before Roast Pear interrupted him "I do. It wasn't that I didn't know, rather it was irrelevant to me because......"

Roast Pear said "Because you thought I would be like you and become a pear farmer. You thought I could continue the tradition of the Pear family. Well, if it's any consolation, I could have found another way to do what I wanted and still carry on the tradition; or better yet, Pear Butter could have done that a lot better than I did. Even so, you mainly wanted us to be your tools to fight against the Apple family for your stupid, irrelevant, pathetic feud. And let me tell you something else, even if I hadn't chosen to become a royal guard and become a pear farmer I would have left anyway; the only difference from this scenario is I would have tired to convince Pear Butter and Bright Mac to go with me."

Grand Pear asked "What does Bright Mac have to do with this?"

Roast Pear said "While you weren't looking, I got to know him when he was fixing the water silo and a little bit after that. I didn't know him as much as Pear Butter did, but I knew well enough that he liked her. I also knew that he didn't like the feud either and thought how his witch of a mother treated us, especially Pear Butter."

Grand Pear said with a confused tone "He called his own mother that?"

Roast Pear said "No, I did that; I never said it to his face but I thought it. In my eyes, like you, she was the real monster behind this feud; not Bright Mac or the rest of his family. They were victims of her anger and stupidity; like how "our" family was pulled in by yours. "

Grand Pear said "Son I........"

Roast Pear shouted "Don't call me son! I don't have a father anymore; I made that pretty clear in that letter I left you. You may have come here to try to make amends with me but I won't except it after what you did to Pear Butter. But if it makes you feel better, if you somehow want me to forgive you and bury the past then find a way for her and Bright Mac to be here right now and for you and Apple Witch to be gone because they should be here instead of you two."

Roast Pear walked from Grand Pear in anger with the rest of the scavenger hunt items. Grand Pear could only watch as his son walked away from him; he wanted to go after him, but there was nothing he could really say to him right now. However, he did let out a tear in his eyes since he could see the pain in his son's heart; not of his relationship with him, but the pain of losing his little sister. Grand Pear then headed for the direction of hole 10 to meet up with Starkrimson Pear.

Starkrimson Pear said "Judging from that look of yours, you two didn't make up."

Grand Pear said "No, but I'm not giving up on him."

Starkrimson Pear said "He still hasn't been able to get over it. While he's able to hide the pain when necessary, he still can't get over the fact that he wasn't able to save her."

Back with Roast Pear, as he continues to place the items at the designated spots for the scavenger hunt, he is crying too. He then says to himself: "I'm sorry, Pear Butter; I couldn't do what you asked me. I'm a terrible Big brother."

Comments ( 4 )

Definitely a good story so far, but Roast Pear's conversation with Grand Pear could have had better punctuation. All the periods didn't really capture the emotion of the scene. Otherwise, well done.

Love this story and I'm so looking forward to more of it

I understand Grand Pear wasn’t that good of a father. But Roast Pear isn’t that good of a son either. Or a brother. Granted, I don’t disagree with Roast’s feelings, but I don’t agree with him flat out refusing to accept his father back. His sister found it in her heart to forgive their father, and even gave him multiple chances to come back into her life. And Starkrimson has even forgiven him for his actions. If the apples and pears want to get along, they need to put aside EVERYTHING. Personally, I could care less about this little feud. But they’re keeping it alive by blaming Grand Pear and Granny Smith. Bright Mac and Pear Butter wanted both families to get along, and forgive each other. The way most of the Pears treat Grand Pear and Granny Smith because they hold them responsible for all of this is directly against what they wanted, and disrespectful to them and Applejack, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom, who have forgiven them and accepted them. And Roast won’t do what Pear Butter asked of him simply out of anger and hatred for his father. THAT’S disrespectful, regardless of who it is.

Is this story still active? It always makes me sad when good stories die on the vine as it were.

Login or register to comment