• Published 8th Dec 2017
  • 4,294 Views, 256 Comments

My immortal phoenix. - Lieral



In a world where magic "apparently" don't exist, Twilight is a young and prodigious scientist struggling to leave her mark in history, but she never expected her new experiment to lead her to a new world apparently uninhabited... Apparently...

  • ...
8
 256
 4,294

Chapter 35- Cold night, Warm hearts

That. Was. Not. Supposed. To. Happen.

Sunset had been preparing for hours, watching a lot of movies, reading about it on the internet and in fanfics. Countless scenarios crossed her mind. Scenarios in which she was rejected, scenarios in which her feelings were on reciprocal fact, scenarios in which a crack in the space-time appeared and took her back to her old world by force or simply a meteor on fire fell from the sky and exploded all life on earth. And honestly, all of these scenarios would be much easier to deal with than what actually happened.

In every case, she had time, more or less, and in all of them she could muster the courage to first probe Twilight and find out if she ever felt the same way. But never, in any miraculous hypothesis would Twilight be the first to ask that.

Now her heart was beating furiously and painfully against her rib cage, her breath seemed to refuse to come out to the cold night, her brain could no longer answer anything, and all she could do was keep staring at Twilight with wide eyes as all her neurons went in short circuit and all her many facets of personalities panicked.

Again, this was not supposed to happen.

The wind swayed the dress she had so carefully chosen for the perfect moment, and she did not even like to wear dresses usually (Even if it is not bad to feel a bit more feminine sometimes). The sweat running down her forehead just refused to stop, and worst of all, Twilight was waiting patiently for her.

Twilight has always been a genius of the highest order, that is far more than obvious, but she always seemed to be somewhat immature about her feelings. She often panicked, her cheeks often taking on that lovely pink tone that made her heart race a little. She hates it when her plans go wrong, she hates it when she unintentionally brings Sunset's past to life and always apologizes with an even slightly childish expression.

She never had much self-confidence, always believing she will make some kind of mistake on her instead of getting it right, partly perhaps because of her scientist profession, partly because she simply does not trust herself to be able to get it right in the first time. Hell, even when playing video games it takes her five minutes just learning the boss patterns.

And now here she is. Standing with her hands on each other stopped on her lap watching Sunset with more than determined eyes. It was not as it should be. She was calm, composed and analytical. There was no trace of impatience or even ferocity in her, which is a stark contrast to Sunset's almost animalistic instinct.

And simply as that, she sighed deeply.

"I think I've gone too far," She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. How long was Sunset staring at her in silence? Was the shock so great for her old heart? “Of course you're confused. I never said anything to you about it and now I'm just throwing it at you right now? It's not fair,"

“T-That’s not…” Sunset tried to talk with her cheeks red like roses but Twilight raised a hand and this caused her to be quiet. Her heart is beating furiously and she is trembling too, confusion more than clear in her eyes.

"I'm not sure what to do, it's my first time doing it, so let me think a little bit," She took off her glasses and wiped them on her shirt, then immediately put them back on. "Honestly, I don't have a plan. I've been trying to make you notice it yourself for a while, but I can't take these games anymore,"

“You had?”

Again Twilight shook her head. "I admit that I am not good with indirect. I am even worse in a direct confrontation like that, but there’s no turning back anymore. I wanted to have a perfect text with feelings elegantly written, but if I cannot even tell you what I feel aloud, there is absolutely no way I can write about it,”

Sunset stayed in silence. This is wrong, she is the one that acts on the emotions, she should have taken the lead, right? Then why did her voice failed her? Why does it look like something is in the middle of her throat that keeps her from saying something? Why does Twilight look so ... mesmerizing in her eyes?

"Well, I think it should start from the beginning. We've known each other for a while, and from the very beginning, I knew you were unique," She smiled a little bit. "I didn't understand what you were, what you were doing there all alone, and why you were always there to receive me even though I was clearly a nuisance,"

“YOU’RE NOT A NUISANCE!” Sunset yelled surprising even herself, which makes her cheeks burn even more as she tried to look away and started to play with her hair to try to distract herself.

"I loved to be with you," Twilight continued as if she had not been interrupted. "Your world was so fascinating that I couldn't stand it. You were so fascinating, powerful and ... Unreachable, it hypnotizes me, attracted me toward you back and back again. I wanted to learn more about you. I wanted to bring you a little more happiness. I wanted to be with you.

When I found out a little about you and your past I was so shocked that I cried and ran to find you, but you were gone, and finally, I felt what is really something unreachable. No matter what I did, never I would be able to find you alone, and that feeling was desperating to me. I wanted to be around you, wanted to be important enough that you wouldn't leave me,” She put a hand to her chest as if it hurt.

Sunset stared at the floor. She wanted to defend herself, to say that she did not want to leave her behind, but it is true that she just ran away at that time. She had her motives, her fears, but in the end, it's the same thing. “I’m sorry,”

“Don’t be,” Twilight started walking slowly toward Sunset. "It wasn't your fault. I was never able to imagine what you went through. In the end, we are literally from different worlds,"

Unconsciously Sunset began to walk backward. It really seems that all the courage she took so long to gather was not much help to her, for some reason she just could not compete with the confidence that Twilight exuded.

"When you came to live with me I felt so happy. It was like I was doing the right thing for a change. And then we started getting closer," As she said that she stepped forward. "And closer and closer," Each time she repeated this she stepped forward. "Until I realized that what I felt for you wasn't so innocent anymore. At first, I just thought of helping you, giving you a new place to call home," With every word Sunset gave a step back until the point her back hit the railings that circled the terrace.

"I came to notice you more. You're stunningly beautiful. You're so smart and interesting. You have such a wild air, and yet you can be so cute and naive," Twilight put a hand over her heart again, but now she couldn't help but blush furiously at her own words. “Being around you wasn't enough for me anymore. I ... I fell in love with you,"

She approached Sunset as close as possible until the distance between them was not longer than an arm. The night air was really chilly, little trails of steam coming out of Twilight's lips as she spoke. "I knew I was being selfish. I know the idea of ​​happily ever after will never apply to us. I know that if you happen to be with me, in the end, you will suffer. I am not immortal, I am not powerful and I cannot give you a life of freedom. I know how big my selfishness is in telling you all this and asking you for something almost impossible but please just let me be selfish this time. Sunset Shimmer, you're the most wonderful girl I have ever met in my life. I love you, and I want you to stay with me, not as a friend, but as something else. So I will ask it again, would you like to be my girlfriend?”

It was as if the world around had stopped. Twilight could no longer see Sunset's face since she had lowered her head. Far below them, the traffic noise must have been hellish, but the sound could no longer reach any of them. The air that was once cold was freezing now, and little snowflakes fell in silence almost as big as the one that lay between the two.

Twilight waited in silence. Her face was almost as red as Sunset's hair and her heart was already throbbing so hard it made the simple act of breathing something difficult.

One way or another it was done. Months of suffering in silence have come to an end. She has no idea what Sunset will say, let alone what she will do if she rejects her, but there will be no regret. She had already waited too long and unlike the redhead, she definitely does not have an eternity to act on.

Sunset took both hands to her hair and began shaking her head much to Twilight's surprise. "AH, SCREW IT!” She yelled.

"Eh?" Twilight stepped back. She had no idea what to expect from this situation, but that was definitely not a reaction she predicted to see. She smiled sadly. "I think this is kind of expected ... I'm sorry to throw it all at you. I should have stayed quiet. You couldn't even say what you wanted to say and now I managed to screw it up. Look, I really meant all that, but you are not obliged to accept my feelings, but I really hope we can stay friends as we are now,”

“Friends? FRIENDS? Are you kidding me?” Sunset raised her head furiously. “Do you think I'll just forget all this?”

Twilight's expression waned and she fought to keep the tears away, but it was a pretty short fight and soon she bowed her head and tried to wipe away the tears. But mourning was soon replaced by surprise when Sunset held her left hand with both her hands.

"Look, I spent the whole day working out wondering plans to talk to you in the best and most romantic place possible, I even read a lot of fanfics to try to get inspired (They had some very good ones) so that everything was perfect and you just do it and ruin everything, all my plans going to waste?" Sunset lifted Twilight's face so she could look her in the eye.

"Listen to me here. You’re not like this. You do not act on the spur of the moment, I do it. You make plans and analyze the possibilities, not me. So why the hell we exchanged roles? It makes no sense,"

“Sunset, I’m confused,”

“But of course you are, I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about,” She took Twilight's hand and placed it between her breasts on top of her heart. “Listen, I had a huge plan, a perfect decorated text, but it was just you start talking and I forgot everything. So just feel my heart. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll try to get it all out, okay?”

Twilight took a deep breath as she feels Sunset’s heart simply hammering against her ribcage. “I've been breathing for so long I don't know how old I am. I've fought so many powerful enemies, from brooks and wizards to giant, animalistic monsters. I've been tortured, killed and silenced. But never in my life has my heart beat so fast. Breathing is not the same as being alive. It was you who taught me that. You gave me a reason to live again. I spent so many centuries without smiling that I thought I no longer knew how to do it. But it was just you coming and all that changed, you changed me and my world.

You were just a stranger in my territory, I thought it would be nice to play with you just before you left and abandon me. But you came back, over and over. In due time I was waiting for you, looking forward to seeing you. When I ran away from you I was just scared. I felt like we got closer every time you came to visit me, and I was afraid of feeling something again just to be left alone again in the end.

When you brought me here, the many wonders of your world fascinated me, but you were special. You, in your nervous, fumbling, and absurdly adorable way, are something I wanted to stay by my side. You're so smart, interested, beautiful and... And... Ahhh! I don't know what to say anymore!

So listen to me. I don't wanna be just your friend. I want to remain your friend and even more. It is true that I will be alone, it is true that I will never have my happy ending one day. But I want this happy ending to be screwed. I want a happy today with the person, no, with the girl, no, with the woman I love. I know I have the emotional intelligence of a penguin, but I don't care. You, Twilight Sparkle, are the most wonderful person I have ever met, and here and now I tell you that I will offer you my admiration, my love and my eternity, so tell me, can I stand by you? Can I stay by your side?”

They faced each other in silence again. Both faces a crimson tone so furious that it is disturbing. The world around them no longer mattered as they tried to process everything that had happened in such a short time. It was not an epic declaration, it was not an act of true love that will go down in history, it was absolutely nothing as they had previously planned, but it was what they really felt had to be done.

With hearts racing they waited for the final answer. Snow began to accumulate on the terrace and in the streets so their breaths could surely be seen by the steam emanating from their mouths.

Twilight took her hand from Sunset's heart and brought it to her chin, holding it as gently as a delicate flower. "May I… Kiss you?"

"You silly," Sunset had to fight the urge to avoid Twilight's gaze but continued to stare at her with a flushed face.

"You're spending too much time with Pinkie," Twilight smiled a little. “But you haven't answered me yet,"

“Geez, Are you going to ask me every time you want to kiss me?” She wrapped both arms around Twilight's neck. “Listen to me, I won't do that. If I want to kiss you, I'll just hug you and kiss you. I’ll kiss you so much you'll be breathless and after you catch your breath I'll kiss you again and again because I have no idea how to express everything I feel with words and I want you to understand and feel everything. Are we clear?”

"That's fine with me," both girls smiled. Sunset immediately closed her eyes as Twilight began to approach closing her eyes much more slowly. Their lips touched and suddenly everything was silent again. Twilight began with a simple push that Sunset soon returned with a little more force. The wind blew without bothering anyone but making their hair fly a little.

Sunset she let the softness of her lips drag her. She was trying to pry as much as possible at her own lips against Twilight's, not furious or inexperienced, but simply impatient. Much had been said and done, and she did not want to wait any longer. She felt something else touching her lips and she did not have to be a genius to understand what was being asked, apparently, Twilight really knows how to read her.

She allowed the kiss to become even more intimate, and soon a few literal minutes had passed. Sunset was pressed against the grid and even though she was the tallest of them she let herself be carried by Twilight this time. As they continued they needed to breathe a little every now and them, and in these cases, they parted their lips just to kiss again a moment later.

A few more seconds later they finally decided to separate a little, both breathless and completely unaware of the surrounding cold, after all, the heat of the almost veritable blood inside them was literally warming them. Sunset took one of her arms from Twilight's neck and held her new girlfriend's hand close to her lips and then kissed it fondly.

"Twilight," Her tone was calm but almost imploring. “Please, stay with me,”

Twilight kissed her again and said in a whisper. "For my eternity,"


Spike watched the whole scene with a slight grin. In his tiny paws, a cell phone had not only recorded but transmitted the whole scene to an old client who often incubated him with some dirty work in exchange for generous rewards. He nodded once and switched the camera to Selfie mode so that his face would be transmitted to this client instead of the scene unfolding in front of him. "Well, well, dear Cadence, I think we have to talk,"

"SPIKE! IF YOU DON'T RETUR TO RECORD THEM RIGHT NOW I SWEAR I WILL CAST YOU PERSONALLY!" One of the many women watching the scene shouted angrily.

"Yeah Spike, you don't just shoot the movie for the best part," Pinkie Pie crossed her arms. "They were about to get Calientes with each other,"

"Oh, believe me, things are just heating up, if you understand me," He gave a playful smile which Cadence returned.

"My dear Spike-Wickie, you know I love you ... BUT IF YOU DON'T RETURN THIS CAMERA TO THEM SOON YOU MAY BE SURE I'M POISONING YOU!" Rarity shouted as loud as Cadence had shouted and Fluttershy just nodded.

“My, my,” Spike shrugged and shook his head slowly with a sigh. "I don't think this is the best way to treat your only source of information. But I'm in a good mood and surely I can re-record it now and even during the most, ahem, intimate moment of them too," His tone was sounding a little serious but he was clearly trying to hold back a laughter.

“Uhhh, Would you do that? I want a copy!” Pinkie Pie entered in the joke.

“Calm down grasshopper,” Cadence narrowed her eyes. “What is the trick?”

"Trick? Why there's no trick. I'll record all this and a little more if you want, after all, I have flexible morale... For the right price," He nodded his head as Cadence grinned.

"We're already paying you," Cadence crossed her arms in fake exasperation and the other three nodded.

"You paid me for the confession, not the whole show,"

"Okay, tell me what you want?"

"A Nintendo Switch, the new Smash Bross and a day at the park with Rarity," he said with a firm nod.

“Deal,” Cadence said much to everyone’s surprise, even Spike’s, he was not expecting it to be so easy.

“Darling, he is asking for a new videogame, he's clearly bribing us," Rarity tried to get Cadence to reclaim the judgment.

"I know that very well, and I don't care. I think it's a good price ... If the filming is at the best angles possible And if this video game is worth three smaller favors too," The older woman dictated her part of the deal.

"I'm not sure ..." Spike scratched his chin carelessly.

"I include Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey," Cadence used her final trumph.

"Deal! Remember this is all recorded," Spike smiled and indeed returned to using the original camera. "Now, let's enjoy the show," He smiled athis childish joke with Cadence. Clearly he is not going to have a Switch, and he clearly would not go that far, but a dog can have some fun too, right?

Author's Note:

And it is done (Actually a lot faster than I expected).

Their hearts finally conected and the scene I tried my hardest to write. I know it is probably not what you expected and it is kinda what I wanted, but I really worked into this one, so I will really love any kind of feedback.

Have a nice week.