• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 11,309 Views, 297 Comments

Side Stories of Hasbroverse Earth - RK_Striker_JK_5



Anthology series detailing Equestria and Earth's encounters and the culture shock therein.

  • ...
17
 297
 11,309

Family Reunion Part One: The Best Of Intentions

Doctor Whooves sat on a couch with his family in the upper floor of the two-story building they lived in, Ditzy to his right and Dinky and Sparkler to his left. The brown-coated earth pony balanced a photo album on his lap with his forelegs, occasionally leaning down to turn a page with the tip of his muzzle. “Now this was me way back in the day,” he said, motioning to the photo. It was two humanoids, one a male with frizzy white hair, a long nose for a human, a frilled shirt and a cravat. He had his arm around a much younger woman, with short brown hair, inquisitive eyes and a bright smile.

Dinky reached over and pointed at the picture. “Daddy, was that when you worked on Earth with that other one you liked so much?” Her face scrunched slightly in concentration. “The... Brigadier?”

The Doctor beamed at his youngest. He reached over and slightly mussed her mane. “That's right, Dinky.” He looked back to the photograph and sighed. “This is Sarah Jane Smith. Back then, she was my best friend.” He looked up, past the edge of the album and at a spot on the carpet. “Oh, we had the time of our lives back then. Flying about, getting into all sorts of scrapes.” He suddenly glanced to Ditzy on his right. “Of course, that was a different life back then-literally!”

Ditzy unfurled a wing and wrapped it around the Doctor's neck, crest and withers, drawing him in for an embrace. “Of course, my dear Doctor,” she said, focusing both eyes on him and smiling softly.

The Doctor leaned into her winged embrace, returning the smile. “Thank you, my dear Ditzy.”

Sparkler and Dinky exchanged a glance and rolled their eyes to the ceiling, blowing out a breath. Sparkler finally cleared her throat, getting her parents' attention. “Dad, when you were like in those old photos, that was on Earth, right?” At his acknowledgment, she continued. “Well, with the Rainbow Bridge open, why not take a trip there? I'm sure you could get permission for it.”

Dinky's head bobbed up and down. “Yeah, yeah! You could go there and tell Miss Smith and Mister Brigadier that things are all right for you, and they could come and visit your clock shop!”

Sparkler joined her sister in the head-bobbing. “Yeah!”

The Doctor's smile slowly changed from one of happiness to sadness. He settled into Ditzy's wing and sighed. “Oh, you lovely, lovely children. It's just... not so simple as popping over to this Earth. Because this Earth isn't the Earth that I came from. Not that I came from Earth, but that's not too important.” He paused, sucked in a breath and continued before Dinky, Sparkler or Ditzy could speak. “There's not just one Earth out there, or two or three or four hundred.” He slid the photo album off to Ditzy before hopping off the couch and trotting to the kitchen.

Sparkler leaned back in the couch and let out a weary sigh. “Mom?”

“Yes, Sparkler?”

“Are we gonna need flow charts for whatever Dad's gonna be talking about?”

Ditzy's eyes wandered a bit as the Doctor emerged, cradling a bottle of foamy liquid in the crook of his right foreleg's elbow. In his mouth was a small plastic wand. He set the bottle down, unscrewed it with the pad of his hoof and dipped the wand into the liquid. He held it up and snorted, blowing out bubbles that floated around the room, shimmering and sparkling.

The Doctor smiled as Ditzy, Dinky and Sparkler hopped off the couch and stepped up to him. He barked a laugh as one landed on Dinky's nose. Her eyes focused on the bubble, looking rather like her mother for a moment before it popped. “Now, think of each one of these bubbles as a plane of existence, separate from each other. Each one has stars and planets and moons and nebulae and all the things I've told you about.” His ancient blue eyes looked to Ditzy. “My blue box, the TARDIS. You remember what I told you, right?”

Ditzy nodded. “It can fly through time and space, and it crashed here a long time ago.” She scratched the side of her head, right below her right ear. “But wait, Doctor. You told me you came from...” Her eyes swiveled about, locking onto two of the bubbles at once. “Another dimension?” She suddenly gasped. “That's not the Earth you originally came from!” she exclaimed. Her brow furrowed suddenly in confusion. “But if that's not the Earth you're from, how do you know Perceptor?”

A sad sigh came from the Doctor. He bowed his head and slid a hoof across the hardwood floor. “You're right, my dear Ditzy.” He looked back up, his eyes following a bubble as it floated about. “I landed on that Earth quite by accident during my travels across my own universe's time and space. I stayed there for a few years before returning home.” He let out a sigh. “Perceptor's been helping me fix up the TARDIS, and it's mostly done. But there's not enough power to get me back home.” His gaze swept across his wife and daughters. “Although...”

Sparkler looked to her father. “Yeah, Dad?”

The Doctor let himself smile once more. “I guess I sometimes forget I have a home right here.”

Sparkler groaned and placed a hoof against her forehead, rubbing her temple right below her horn. “Dad, that was so corny,” she said.

“Yes, but it broke the mood,” the Doctor responded. “And besides, it's true.” He looked to Dinky. “Now, then. I believe somepony has a sleepover to get ready for?” He stepped up to Dinky's side and ruffled her mane slightly. “That is, if she got her homework done.”

Dinky squirmed slightly, but remained by her father's side. “Daddy, quit it!” she said. “And my homework's all done. Mommy checked on it before we looked at your old pictures.”

Ditzy nodded as the Doctor looked to her for confirmation. “She got it all done, Doctor.” She unfurled a wing and motioned to a door. “Come on, Dinky. I'll help you get ready for tonight.”

Ditzy and Dinky trotted off, leaving the Doctor and Sparkler behind in the living room. “Now, you'll be all right while we walk Dinky to Sweet Apple Acres?” the Doctor asked. “It is a lovely evening out for a walk, anyway. Although maybe a run would be in order, too. Oh, it's been ages since I had to run anywhere!”

Sparkler snorted. “I'm fine, Dad! Besides, I think you and Mom deserve a little quiet time to yourselves after you drop Dinky off. Herd knows how much you've needed it ever since she joined the Crusaders.”

Both the Doctor and Sparkler looked over as Dinky and Ditzy emerged. “Oh, it's not that bad,” the Doctor remarked. “Compared to some of my old comrades, they're rather quiet.”

Dinky stood next to Ditzy. Tied around her neck was the 'official' dark-red cloak of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, with the blue and gold emblem embroidered on it. A small bag was set at her hooves. She tilted her head back and opened her mouth wide. “Cutie Mark Crusader Sleepover, YAY!” she shouted, causing Ditzy, the Doctor and Sparkler to wince.

“You were saying, Dad?” Sparkler remarked.

The Doctor looked to his her, his right eye widening. “What?


Four hours later, the Crusaders' treehouse
Applebloom stood over a desk, hooves planted on the wood. Before her lay her grand plan, the magnum opus of her young life. “Ah can see it,” the young earth pony declared. “With this, we'll all git our cutie marks!”

Danielle Richards stood over Applebloom, looking over the schematics. Her eyes widened to almost-normal size. “Applebloom, I'm not an engineer,” she remarked, placing hands on her hips. “But isn't that the friggin' Enterprise from Star Trek?!”

Applebloom looked over her shoulder. “Yeah, why?”

Danielle's eyes rolled to the ceiling. Like the others there, she wore a Crusader cloak tied around her neck. She stepped back, placed her hand on her temple and slowly dragged it down over her face. “Michelle? Dinky? Help?”

Michelle looked over from where she sat on the hardwood floor, brushing Sweetie Belle's mane. “Help with what, building it? I don't know how to build a spaceship.” She suddenly stood up. “Ooh, are we gonna build a spaceship, Danielle?”

Scootaloo trotted over. “We'll be the first foals on the Moon!” she shouted, hopping up and down, her wings buzzing so fast her hooves kicked the air. “What do we need, Applebloom?”

Applebloom turned back the crude caricature of the Enterprise. “Well... anyone know whare we can git some di-lithium crystals?” Her brow furrowed. “Hmm, wonder if tha Dragon Clans could help.”

Danielle threw her hands up into the air. “God, why Star Trek? Why couldn't we have watched The Muppet Show?” She suddenly stopped. “No, no. Bunsen Honeydew!” She waved her hands in the air. “Bad, bad idea, Danielle!”

Sweetie Belle stuck her tongue out at Danielle. “It's not that bad.” Her eyes roamed around the treehouse, finally settling on Dinky sitting near a corner and reading a book. “What do you think, Dinky? Ready to become a Cutie Mark Crusader astronaut?” she said, waiting for a response. After a minute she hopped to her hooves. “Hey, Dinky!” she shouted.

Dinky's head snapped up. “What?” She blinked a few times and her cheeks turned red. “Sorry, Sweetie Belle. I just found this book on...” Her horn glowed and the book flopped closed, allowing Dinky to look over cover. “Apple bucking and your inner zen fascinating?”

Danielle, Applebloom, Michelle, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo all walked over to Dinky. “Dinky, what's wrong?” Danielle asked, kneeling down beside her friend. “You've been quiet all night and have just been leafing through books.” She reached out a hand and gently rubbed Dinky's mane. “Can we help?”

Dinky let out a sigh. “It's just... my dad. We were looking through old pictures of him and his friends, from before he moved to Ponyville.” She hesitated for a moment. “He misses them a lot, but he can't visit them because...” Her head darted back and forth before she waved everyone closer with a foreleg. “You know the blue shed in the backyard?” At their nods she swallowed. “It's a time machine, and it brought Daddy from another world to Equestria!” she blurted out. “Please believe me!”

Scootaloo's eyes narrowed and darted back and forth. “A time machine?” She looked right at Dinky, locking eyes with her. “Cool!” she shouted, grinning.

Dinky's head shot around at everyone. “Wait, you believe me?”

Applebloom gasped. “Wait, believe you? What a thing tah say! 'Course we believe you, Dinky!” She held up a hoof. “Yer a Cutie Mark Crusader, after all! And even more, yer our friend! Why wouldn't we believe yah?”

Sweetie Belle spoke up. “Of course we believe you!”

Michelle also nodded. “We believe you. Right, Danielle?”

Applebloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Michelle and Dinky all looked to Danielle. She merely shrugged. “I trust Dinky not to make stuff up. Besides, we've all seen weirder things than a time machine.”

Dinky let out a breath, her body deflating slightly. “Oh, thank you, everyone!” She rose to her hooves, but her eyes were still staring down at the floor. “I just wish I knew how to help Daddy out, you know? He wants to see his old friends so much, but I don't know how to get his machine running again.”

Applebloom blew out a breath. “Well, why don't we all take a look at it and see ifn' we cain't fix it all up? I'm sure there's something we can do fer it!” She trotted to a shelf built into the wall and began putting various tools into a tool belt. “Should just need a couple o' these fer bangin' on it or something.”

Danielle shot to her feet. “Ah, Applebloom, I don't think that's such a good idea to do that without permission. That's Doctor Whooves' and Ditzy's backyard.” She held up her wrist and pointed to her watch. “And I don't relish waking them up to ask about their time machine.”

Dinky trotted over to her bag. Her face scrunched up slightly and a metal chain with several keys floated out. “Don't worry, Danielle. I've got a key to the back gate. We can just go around the back.” She trotted up to the door, stopped and beckoned to everyone there to follow with a wave of her foreleg. Applebloom soon joined her, saddlebags bulging with tools. The two fillies gave each other a high-hoof before walking out into the night.

Danielle opened her mouth again, but Michelle took her by the hand and began pulling while Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle began pushing her from behind. Danielle stumbled a bit before lurching forward. “Hey, hey!” She groaned, finally walking forward of her own volition. “This better not end up like that time with the radio contest.”


An hour later, the Crusaders were in the backyard of the Whooves. Danielle looked up and down at a large blue box that was on a patch of concrete. She scratched the side of her head as she read a plaque on the top. “'Police public call box'?” She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and thumbed it on. After a second she rolled her eyes. “Darn it, dead zone.” She held it up and took some pictures of the box. “This looks familiar,” she remarked, leaning forward.

Applebloom trotted up to the box's door and stood on her hind legs. She tapped it a few times. “How do we open it?” She looked to Dinky. “Got a key fer tha lock?”

Dinky trotted up to her friend's side. Her horn glowed and the chain around her neck floated up and over her head to Danielle. “Here. I'm not sure if any of them can open it, though. I've never tried them.”

Danielle grabbed the chain out of midair and selected one. She tried pushing it into the keyhole, only for it to wiggle slightly. She tried another, this one sliding in halfway before stopping. The keys jangled and clacked as she tried each one with no success. The young woman bit her lip and grabbed at the lock itself. “Worth a try,” she mumbled. She barked a laugh as the outer covering slid up. “Ah, all right!” She glanced over to Applebloom and Dinky, her eyes sparkling with triumph. “A false lock.”

“What's going on?”

Danielle, Michelle, Applebloom, Dinky, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo all turned to see Sparkler standing a few feet away, her the tip of her horn glowing and partially washing out her magenta coat. She walked forward, the glow intensifying slightly. “Dad is gonna kill you if he finds out what you're doing!” she said, stopping right in front of Dinky and staring down at her younger sister.

Dinky drew herself up to her full height and stared right back at Sparkler. “I'm doing it for him, Sparkler. You saw how sad Daddy was when we were looking at those old pictures of him and his friends. If we can get his time machine working, we can find them!” She finally broke eye contact with Sparkler and kicked lightly at the concrete. Her body shuddered slightly. “I just wanted to do something nice for him.”

The other Crusaders watched on as Sparkler extended a foreleg and wrapped it around Dinky's neck, pulling her in for a hug. “I know,” she said softly. “And I want to help him out, too. But this isn't gonna work.” She let go and looked up to Danielle. “Locked up tight, right?”

Danielle crossed her arms and leaned against the side. “Yeah, Sparkler. None of Dinky's keys fit.” She suddenly dropped down as Applebloom fished a screwdriver out of her saddlebags with her mouth. “And we are not going to pry the lock!”

Applebloom's eyes softened, but finally put the screwdriver back into her saddlebag. “Aww, shucks. I could've gotten mah cutie mark in lockpicking!”

Danielle rubbed her forehead and began standing up, but stopped as something on the ground caught her eye. She knelt down and picked up a piece of silver metal in the rough shape of a spade with several indentations across its surface. She held it up and looked it over with her brown eyes. “Hello, you weren't there before.” She looked to the lock, slid the false plate up and before anyone could say anything, slid it in.

The key slid in with a soft click and turned. Danielle pushed on the door. She held her breath as it swung open... and gasped as she beheld the interior.

Dinky and Sparkler led the rest of the group into a cavernous, two-floor room that looked straight out of a starship. A central column dominated the room, long blue tubes inside a transparent cylinder. A console surrounded the cylinder, with another attached to a bulkhead. Two screens jutted from flexible stands attached to the main console, and a set of stairs opposite the door led up to another door, leading... somewhere.

Scootaloo's eyes wandered about the room, her head following. This is so cool!” she shouted, her wings a blur as they buzzed. She galloped around the room to the far console and hopped up onto it. “What does all this stuff do?” she asked, beginning to push buttons at random.

Sweetie Belle trotted down to the lower level and a large open panel on the main cylinder. “I don't know, but it doesn't look too complicated.” She reached out to the large panel and wrapped her tiny forelegs around a large cable hooked up to a power tap. “I bet if we move around these cables, we can get the power it needs!”

Michelle looked down from the upper level. “That doesn't seem too safe, Sweetie Belle. I think you need some gloves so you don't get cut.” She looked around. “You see any gloves, Danielle?”

Danielle's mouth opened, but no sound came out as she remained standing in the entrance. Everyone turned to look at her. “You all right?” Applebloom asked.

Danielle spun on her heel and ran out, stumbling slightly before regaining her balance and running around the box, her fingers trailing along the exterior. She made a half-dozen circuits before skidding to a halt and bolting back inside. She waved her arms all around, pointing in every direction. “It's... it's...” She swallowed and took several deep breaths. “It's bigger on the inside!” she shouted, eyes as wide as they could be.


The Doctor stirred in his sleep. “What they all say,” he mumbled. A single eye opened and his nostrils flared. “Wait, what's that?”


Sparkler blinked. “Well, yeah. It's kind of obvious. Besides, it's not that odd.” She walked up to the central column and craned her neck. Her purple eyes looked over the dizzying array of buttons and levers. I have no idea what any of this does.” She looked to her right as Dinky walked up beside her. “Sorry.”

Dinky leaned over and nuzzled Sparkler. “It's all right.” She looked out over the controls. “I just wish Daddy took us inside this thing.” She stood up and placed her front hooves onto the console. “I just wish someone could help us...”

A voice boomed out of nowhere, startling everyone inside.TARDIS voice interface activated.”

Danielle's head shot around. “W-who is that?”

There was a flash of light and the translucent image of a young redheaded girl in an overcoat and pajamas appeared at the foot of the stairs. “I am the TARDIS voice interface,” she said in an accented voice. “I am activated when pilots cannot operate the console.”

Danielle and Applebloom walked over. Applebloom reached out with a shaky hoof, stopping just short of the image. “Are you a ghost?”

“I am the TARDIS voice interface, not a ghost,” the image repeated. Although the tone of the voice was the same, there was still the slightest hint of exasperation behind it.

Dinky and Sparkler bounded over to the interface. “Can you take us back to where Daddy came from?” Dinky blurted out.

The interface focused on the two fillies. “Insufficient power in primary batteries, and the reserve power taps are not connected properly.” The interface paused. “I'm sorry.”

The lights suddenly dimmed and the interface's image flickered. Danielle ran over to the edge of the upper level and knelt down. She rolled her eyes as she spotted Sweetie Belle with an unplugged cable cradled in her forelegs. “Sweetie Belle, what are you doing?”

Sweetie Belle looked up. “Well, I think this has something to do with the power the interface mentioned.” She stood up and poked her head out of the pit. Her cheeks turned scarlet as she saw the darkness. “Whoops.” She dropped back into the pit and wrapped her forelegs around the cable. “Don't worry. I'll fix it!”

Danielle reached out. “Wait, Sweetie Belle, I don't think that's the right-”

The filly plugged the cable into a power tap. There was a shower of sparks and Sweetie Belle flew back, hitting a bulkhead with a thunk. She slid down onto the deck plating, her eyes spinning and her mane and tail standing out in every direction.

Danielle, Scootaloo and Applebloom scrambled down into the lower level. “Sweetie Belle, yah all right?” Applebloom cried out. She grabbed Sweetie Belle by the shoulders and shook her. “Say something!”

Sweetie Belle's head flopped back and forth. “Stop... shaking... me!” She rocked forward to four unsteady hooves. “Ugh, what happened?”

Danielle glanced up as the lights in the upper level brightened once more. “I'd say you found the reserve power.” She waved a hand around her head. “You also look like the bride of Frankenstein.”

Sweetie Belle's eyes widened. She raised a hoof and gingerly touched her now-poofy mane. “Aww, Rarity's gonna kill me!”

A deep thud resounded through the room. Danielle slowly rose to her feet and looked around. “I think Rarity's opinion of your mane is the least of our problems,” she remarked before scrambling up the stairs to the upper level. She stopped right in front of the interface. “What's going on?”

The interface looked up at her. “Reserve power has been accessed. As per Dinky's request, I am retracing the TARDIS' flight path back.” She looked right at Dinky and Sparkler. “Fish fingers and custard. My Thief will know what it means” And with that, the interface faded away.

The door suddenly swung shut. The central column began oscillating up and down, an odd grinding sound emanating from it, like time and space were being torn apart. The entire room shuddered.

Michelle wobbled over to Danielle. “So, should we be panicking yet?”

Danielle looked down at her. “Not yet.” She held up a hand and began counting down with her fingers. As soon as she reached her index finger, the room lurched, sending everyone stumbling and tumbling. “Now we panic!”


The Doctor and Ditzy galloped out of their house just as the TARDIS dematerialized. “No, no no!” the Doctor cried out. He cantered back and forth, waving around a sonic screwdriver strapped to his foreleg. He held it up and looked it over. “Reserve power?! There wasn't any reserve power!”

Ditzy floated up and grabbed the Doctor by her front hooves. “Doctor, what happened?” she cried out. Her eyes focused on the Doctor, drilling into him. “Sparkler's not anywhere in the building. Did she...” One eye drifted over to the patch of concrete the TARDIS formerly stood on.

The Doctor swallowed. “I think that's the best explanation for it, Ditzy. And I'd bet the Hand of Omega that Dinky was aboard, too.”

Ditzy's other eye drifted to the two-story building that was both home and business to the Whooves family. “And if she's there, then the other Crusaders are, too.” She dropped back to the ground. “Oh, I hope they're all right.”

The Doctor walked up to the patch of concrete and looked down at it. “Ditzy?”

“Yes, Doctor?”

His head shot to the left and he glared at a nondescript wooden shed. “When did we get a new garden shed?”

The 'shed' door suddenly opened, smoke billowing out. A tall humanoid emerged, clad in a black suit. He had a neatly-trimmed goatee with white highlights and his black hair was cropped close to his head, with widow's peaks arching back. He held a cylinder in his hand and waved it about. “Ah, Doctor!” the Master proclaimed. “At long last, we have managed to track you down!” He held up his arms and thunder rumbled in the clear night sky. “From Hastus Minor to Gallifrey, from the Medusa Cascade to Earth, we tracked you.” He focused enraged eyes upon the Doctor, but upon seeing the brown-coated pony he stopped dead in his tracks. He tilted his head to the side as he gazed down. “I'm sorry,” he mumbled. His head shot around. “Am... I in the right place?”

The Doctor rolled his eyes to the star-filled sky. “Master, it's me.”

“Me who?”

There was the barest of hesitations before the Doctor shook his head. “Nah, too easy.” He placed a foreleg on his chest. “It's me, Master. It's the Doctor, all three feet of him.” A grunt from behind caught his attention. “Oh, and my lovely wife, Ditzy Doo Whooves.”

Ditzy bowed her head. “Nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about you.”

The Master blinked. He took a step back, his eyes widening. “D-Doctor?!” he sputtered out. The renegade Time Lord held a gloved hand to his mouth and bit down hard on his lip, but chortles of laughter escaped him. His cheeks turned beet-red as he nearly doubled over from paroxysms of laughter. He jabbed his free hand at the Doctor as he continued to laugh.

Ditzy leaned close to the Doctor. “Is he normally like this?” she asked, one eye on her husband and the other on the Master.

The Doctor shrugged. “Eh, I'll give him this one.” He took a few steps forward, whinnying and nickering. He waited for the laughter to finally die down before speaking. “Oi, Master! Will you stop with the laughing? It's me. It's the Doctor, in the flesh – well, not that Flesh, but the flesh. Oh, you know what I mean!”

The Master cleared his throat and straightened up. For a moment, he was silent. Then he snorted, his body shaking a bit. “I'm sorry,” he said, his voice muffled.

A sigh escaped the Doctor. “Are you done?”

“Well, you must admit, this is all rather humorous. I've heard of going native, but this is ridiculous!” He bent down slightly. “What on Gallifrey happened?!”

The Doctor shrugged. “Well, when I landed it was rough enough to trigger regeneration. It locked onto the nearest form and...”

“And here you are, a pony.” The Master's head jutted forward as he looked the Doctor over. “I say, how do you do anything with those ridiculous appendages?” he asked, motioning to the Doctor's hooves.

Ditzy's face scrunched up in anger. “Hey!”

The Doctor held his foreleg up once more and pointed it at the Master. “No more silly banter, Master,” the Doctor declared. “Now give it up. Ditzy and I have you outnumbered.”

The Master snorted. “Oh, you think I came alone?” He stood back up and stepped back, raising the cylinder in his hand and pointing it at the Doctor. “Come out, Cyber-Leader!”

A tall humanoid emerged from the Master's TARDIS, covered from head to toe in silver armor. His expressionless faceplate was black, as well as handlebars on the side of his head. His forehead was transparent, revealing an organic brain inside. He tapped his chest with his left hand and raised his right arm, pointing a gauntlet-mounted energy weapon at the Doctor. “You will tell us where the Doctor is,” the Cyber-Leader commanded.

The Master slowly looked over and cleared his throat. “That is the Doctor.” He held up a hand. “I'll explain later. The point is, that's him.”

The Cyber-Leader turned its entire body to regard the Master. “You are positive in your identification?” At the Master's exasperated nod it looked back. “You will surrender yourself or be deleted.”

The Doctor arched an eyebrow. “A Cyber-Leader? What, did Davros not return your calls?” He looked to the still-open TARDIS door. “Got any Cybermen in there?”

The Master rolled his eyes. “Oh, please. Do you seriously think I'd let more than one of them inside? They'd try to hijack the TARDIS and then there'd be a fight. As for Davros, he muttered something about caterpillar treads or something.” He shrugged. “You know how he is.” He waved the cylinder around. “Now, come on, Doctor. Surrender, or suffer my wrath!”

The Doctor held his sonic screwdriver up high. “Oh, no! I'm stopping you two here and now.” The sonic screwdriver's tip lit up. “Don't try anything.”

The Master snorted. “I think the horseshoe is on the other hoof, Doctor. For you see, my tissue compression eliminator has a wood casing!” He waved to the Cyber-Leader. “And my dear friend has had his ventilation systems overhauled, so gold is no longer a weakness!” His smile turned into a sneer as he aimed his weapon, the emitter glowing. “So, Doctor. Surrender or you and your wife will be destroyed!”

The Doctor lowered his foreleg. “All right, Master. You win.” He glanced to the bare patch of concrete. “For now.”

Author's Note:

1. Special thanks to Madfish, GBScientist and others at the Spacebattles forum for their help with this chapter. Especially Madfish for the last part.

2. Sorry if it's a bit Who-heavy. I've provided links.

3. After a bit of thinking, I realized that NONE of the Crusaders would have any real reason to doubt Dinky's assertion that her daddy has a time machine.

4. Yes, i am trying to make Danielle the only sane one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Why do you ask? :p

5. the Master is physically based off of Roger Delgado, the first Master. It is a small, but sincere tribute.

6. The sonic screwdriver cannot affect wood. And Cybermen in the Classic series became deathly allergic to gold.