• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 11,313 Views, 297 Comments

Side Stories of Hasbroverse Earth - RK_Striker_JK_5



Anthology series detailing Equestria and Earth's encounters and the culture shock therein.

  • ...
17
 297
 11,313

Contact Part One: Old Memories


The White House

“... It is our hope and desire that together, pony and human can accomplish so much more than alone, as has been done before. Thank you.”

The image of Luna stopped. Chip Chase stepped away from the wall-mounted screen and turned to his audience of two, one sitting and one standing. The one sitting was Clayton Abernathy, President of the United States. Standing next to him was Philip Provost, head of the State Department. “So, there it is,” he said. He motioned to the frozen image of Luna. “They're a bit cautious, but definitely want some sort of alliance with us. Economic, political, the works.” He walked over and stood in front of the desk. “So, what do you think?”

Clayton turned his head to his right and looked up at Philip, a younger man with short, curly blond hair and sunglasses. “Phil, thoughts?”

Phillip rubbed his chin. “I think they're sincere. We'll have to proceed with a bit more caution than usual, though. Most of our first contacts don't have a portal right here on Earth. Our best bet would likely be to go through Missus Richards and her siblings. They've got the most contact with the Equestrians.”

Clayton nodded. “It's in their yard, literally. I doubt Luna or Celestia would be that... receptive if we didn't go through them, at least for now. We'd better offer them every cooperation.”

Philip shook his head. “I agree, but I can already hear the State Department howling to have her replaced or 'guided',” he said, raising his hand and making quote marks in the air.

Chip spoke up. “If we do that, though, I think Celestia and Luna would be... displeased, at best. Both consider her a link between worlds. The ponies themselves consider her and her siblings semi-divine, even.” He looked back to the monitor. “We do an end run around her, Daniel Williams, Molly Williams or even Michael Richards and we risk a major backlash from almost every pony on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, and probably a few other species.”

Clayton slapped his palms onto the desk, rattling a pencil cup. “That settles it, then. I'd prefer not to cause an international and inter-dimensional incident at the same time.” He looked back up at Philip. “Try to find a diplomat or aide that doesn't have too big of an ego that he or she won't be put off too much by working with Megan, Mike or anyone else in the family.”

Philip's eyes narrowed. “Do you want me to ski to Nebulos, too?”

Clayton's jaw set, his mouth forming into a grim line. He tossed up a hand up. “Just find someone, Philip.” His eyes tracked the younger man as he left before looking back to Chip. “Nice work, Chip.” He let out a sigh, drumming his fingers on the desk. “This is either gonna go smoothly, or be filled with more holes than an artillery range.”

Chip shook his head. “I think the alicorns would prefer smoothly. I know I would. I think if we keep Megan and her family in the loop, it'll go a lot better.”

Clayton nodded. “Exactly.” He let out a sigh and leaned back. He looked up at the ceiling. “Dammit...”

The younger man walked up to the desk. He tilted his head to the side. “Are... you all right, Mister President?”

There was a pause before Clayton shrugged. “Ever have a memory at the back of your mind, but you can't get it to the front?” he waved a hand around his ear. “That's about how I feel right now. There's something in the back there, but it's not coming out.”

Chip rubbed his chin. “I'm guessing it's got something to do with ponies. Have you read any of Missus Richards' books? They're based on her old adventures in Ponyland before the first Rainbow Bridge collapsed.” He rocked back and forth on his heels. “They're not that bad, either.”

Clayton waved him off. “I don't think so.” He drummed his fingers on the desk. “But it is something from that time.” He suddenly stood up, knocking his chair back slightly. He locked eyes with Chip. “Wait, did ponies ever cross to Earth, besides the first time with Firefly?”

Chip's eyes darted back and forth. He pulled out his phone and, after some tapping on the screen, nodded. “A few times.” He chuckled slightly, smiling. “I wonder if these were the ones Admiral Delgado claimed he saw once.” His head shot up, meeting Clayton's eyes again. “You don't think...”

The President took a step back and rubbed his forehead. He sat down and groaned. “Shipwreck was right...”


1982
General Clayton 'Hawk' Abernathy looked at the sputtering sailor standing before him. He placed his hands on his hips. “A pink... pony?”

Hector 'Shipwreck' Delgado waved his arms about, eyes wide and mouth hanging slightly open. “With wings!” he shouted. He turned and pointed at a ship docked to a pier. “G-General, yah gotta believe 'hic!' me!”

Hawk gritted his teeth. He walked right up to Shipwreck and jabbed a finger at him. “Shipwreck, we've got more than enough on our plate without you seeing pink ponies in the sky. That maniac in Springfield's got himself an army and there are rumors he's got MARS contacts. Now I need you and everyone else on Delta-Six at their best while on duty. Do I make myself clear?”

Shipwreck swallowed. He straightened himself up as best he could, still wavering a bit on rubbery legs. “Crystal, sir!” he barked out, saluting.

Hawk nodded, returning the salute. “Good.”


“... He never spoke of it again, but I think he wrote about it in his memoirs,” Clayton said, finishing the tale. He walked over to a bookcase opposite the display case. His fingers trailed along the spines before pulling out a slim volume. He held it up, showing Chip the cover of 'Yo, Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum; the Life and Times of a Joe Lost at Sea'. It showed a picture of an aged sailor, with a salt-and-pepper beard more salt than pepper.

Chip nodded. “I read it. He still thinks he saw something.”

A sigh escaped Clayton's lips. “And he did.” He put the book back. “You know, Chip, if things turn out well I'll probably be meeting with the princesses at some point. I wonder if she'd object to an... honor guard there.” He smirked slightly. “And I wonder if Marvin would object to doing the catering.”

Chip snorted. “A GI Joe reunion? Why not? They'll probably have the Elements of Harmony with them, at least. The captain of the Royal Guard's Twilight's brother, so I can see him showing up, too.”

Clayton snapped his fingers and walked back to the desk. He picked up a phone off the desk and tapped a button on the main unit. “Dave, could you come in, please? I need some people tracked down.”