• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 1,619 Views, 23 Comments

I Can Read Names in Clouds - Yuu



In the aftermath of the confusion with replacing the newest princess, a human arrives to learn about pony society.

  • ...
8
 23
 1,619

When You Awake

Rainbow looked at me, as Gloaming released her from the hug. “By the way, you never told me why we raced.”

I looked at Gloaming. If Rainbow was asking this, that meant Gloaming hadn't told her about doppelgängers. I still didn't understand pony expressions very well, but Gloaming twitched her ears and switched her gaze several times between me and Rainbow. If that meant she was nervous, it supported my current suspicion.

“Well, I told you that I had studied flying under the fastest flier in another world,” I said, “And you asked for evidence, and proposed a race.”

Rainbow looked at me without blinking for some time. Then turned to Gloaming.

“You’re hiding something from me,” Rainbow said.

“Of course I’m hiding something,” I said.

Gloaming pricked her ears and looked narrowly at me.

“You forgot a lot,” I added, “so you may not know what to ask.”

“And we just can’t think of all of the things you forgot because we don’t know,” Gloaming said.

Rainbow gazed for a minute at Gloaming and swished her tail several times.

“Fine,” Rainbow said.

I had to talk with Gloaming about what and how we should tell Rainbow about the latest events, like doppelgängers and my arrival. Well, Gloaming could cover the doppelgängers herself, and my arrival wasn’t a secret anyway.

“Gloaming, is there anyplace where I can sleep for tonight?” Ideally free of charge, I hoped, as I had only two coins of unknown value. “But it wouldn't be a problem, if you don't find one, I can also sleep in the forest—”

“No,” Gloaming said, “you can stay with me. Even if the forest isn't dangerous now, the library is much more comfortable.”

“It was dangerous?”

“Yes, pretty much,” Gloaming said. “Before the town was founded, the forest was full of dangerous creatures and animals.”

Rainbow looked at us, but still said nothing. Gloaming looked at Rainbow before continuing.

“Rainbow may say that it’s awesome to live next to this kind of forest, but the ancestors of the townsponies thought otherwise. They decided to drive all the big and dangerous creatures deeper into the forest, and built special fences inside the forest to prevent them from coming back.”

“I see. But why you speak about both creatures and animals?”

“Animals don't have any magic, but creatures do,” Gloaming said.

“Snowy Clothes can stay in my home for the night,” Rainbow said. She briefly looked at me, then turned her muzzle to her forelegs.

“Why?” Gloaming looked at her and blinked several times.

“You see, we both crashed today, so we can look after each other just in case....” Rainbow said.

Now Rainbow was also hiding something; she said that without her usual overconfidence. But the idea to look after each other was still reasonable.

“Good thinking,” Gloaming said, smiling. “But I have an even better idea. You both should stay here in the guest room. In this case you don't need to fly to Rainbow's home. I can look after both of you. Just in case.”

It was nice that both of them wanted me in their homes. Still, there was something strange with Rainbow’s proposition.

“And have you already forgotten?” Gloaming turned to Rainbow. “You shouldn't fly at all today.”

“Well, fine.” Rainbow turned to look at a distant bookshelf. “I don't feel like flying anyway.”

“Great.” Gloaming was still smiling, but not as widely as before. “Let's go upstairs, I will show you the room.”

Gloaming led us to a corridor on the second floor, which had several doors. Through one of the doors there was a small room with a bed, a table, some pillows and a bookshelf.

Gloaming pointed on the bed with her foreleg. “Unfortunately there is only one bed, as you can see—”

“Snowy Clothes can sleep there,” Rainbow interrupted. “I will sleep on the floor.”

“No, you crashed harder than me,” I said to her, “so you should sleep in the bed.”

Rainbow only pushed me in the direction of the bed with her head.

“Not again,” Gloaming said.

Well, if Rainbow was just going to be stubborn, I could do it my way.

I glanced at her. “Let's toss a coin. It can make the decision for us.”

Both mares looked at me and pricked up their ears. I took a coin from my purse in the backpack.

“This coin has two different sides.” I showed both of them to the ponies. “This is the head, and this is the tail. I will toss it, and if the head comes up on top, Rainbow sleeps in the bed. If the tail comes up—I sleep in the bed.”

“Good idea,” Gloaming said.

“Fine.” Rainbow was studying coin in my talon.

I tossed the coin up and followed it with my eyes. When the coin was at the highest point of its trajectory, I concentrated all my attention on it. The coin slowly turned one time and moved down a bit. I saw the head of the coin. Another turn, the head again, a bit faster now. I slowly moved my talon to catch it. One more turn. My talon moved a tad lower. Three turns to catch. Two more. One.

I turned my talon up and opened it.

“Oh, there is the head.” Gloaming looked at coin, then turned to Rainbow. “It means—”

“I get it,” Rainbow said. “But please get a good mattress for Snowy Clothes.”

“Of course.” Gloaming turned to me. “You can choose the one you prefer. Let me show you the storage room.”

She walked out to the corridor and went to another door. Gloaming opened the door, there were several shelves inside the small room.

“Actually, I used to sleep on the floor. It’s considered a tradition in my country. So please don't be worried about it.”

“And ponies usually sleep in beds.” Gloaming closed the door and looked at me. “I know you cheated, it wasn't a fair toss. But I approve. Rainbow needs some comfort this night, after that horrible crash.”

“I agree. But how do you know that I cheated?”

“Well, actually, I'm unsure of it.” Gloaming lowered her voice. “And it perturbs me. I just saw something strange in your movements, and in the next moment I knew.”

“You may understand it someday, I believe.”

Gloaming sighed. “I hope so. Alright, let's find you a mattress.”

When we returned, Rainbow didn't say anything as she helped us to move things from the floor where Gloaming put the mattress.

“By the way, where was Gracia staying tonight, do you know?” I turned to Gloaming.

“I think Medley asked Gracia to stay with her,” Gloaming said.

“Yeah, she also has a guest room,” Rainbow added.

“Alright. Good night, girls,” Gloaming said and left the room.

Rainbow lay on the bed and I rested on my mattress, preparing to sleep.