• Published 4th Jun 2018
  • 3,430 Views, 65 Comments

Queen of the Empire - Cardinal Dan Productions



Chrysalis finds something old, lost, and abandoned, a great place to start a new hive.

  • ...
9
 65
 3,430

Part 9: The Ponyville Princess

“I must thank you again for your hospitality, Twilight Sparkle. Your willingness to welcome me into your home is a testament to the nature of your people.” Thrawn paced the grand hall slowly, circling the large, crystal table and the thrones that occupied the center of the room.

While the Imperial admiral’s back was turned, Chrysalis and Ezra peaked through a cracked door and eavesdropped on the conversation.

Meanwhile, the purple princess kept her eyes glued to Thrawn, remaining ever watchful of his every move. “I’m always willing to help anyone in need... but I’m more curious to learn about you and where you came from. I’ve never met anyone quite like you.” She gestured to a pair of stormtroopers guarding another door.

Thrawn came to a stop and turned to face her. “I am just as eager to learn about you, princess. Your people, your art, and your culture all fascinate me. This power you have, this ability you simply call magic... is something I would very much like to study.”

Twilight shuffled her wings as she righted herself in her throne. “Hmm... Are you hungry? We could go into town and talk things over more over lunch.”

Thrawn smiled and offered the princess a bow. “I would be honored.”

Twilight rose to her hooves and came down from the throne, landing beside the table and joining Thrawn. Then, they began to walk together towards the cracked door Chrysalis and Ezra were hiding behind.

A sensation of panic rose in the changeling’s chest, and she began to back away quickly. “We have to go...”

Ezra too was rolling back on his feet, but just as they turned to run for the door, they came face to face with a storm trooper. The armored trooper raised his blaster at them.

“Hey, you! Halt!”

Chrysalis lowered her jagged horn to blast him out of their way, but it was too late. Thrawn and Twilight Sparkle, in addition to the other two stormtroopers from the map chamber, came through the cracked door.

At seeing the sight before her, Twilight’s jaw dropped. “Chrysalis?!”

Thrawn’s eyes narrowed, and a frown formed across his mouth. “Ezra Bridger...” The blue-skinned man stepped forward with a calm, but serious, expression. “You’ve caused me a lot of trouble today, rebel...” Then, he looked back at Twilight. “You see, princess, this is the rebellious Jedi I spoke of, Ezra Bridger. It seems he’s found an ally in your own enemy.”

Chrysalis pushed her way past the stormtroopers and confronted Thrawn. “He’s the one who can’t be trusted, Twilight!”

Ezra joined her, brushing the troopers aside. “She’s right... The Empire will take away everything you love. They took away my friends, my family, and my home, and they’ll do the same thing here.”

Twilight glared at Ezra. “That’s not the story Thrawn told me. He said you terrorized people and attacked government facilities.” Then, her cold stare shifted to the changeling. “And you... You have a track record of bringing harm to ponies who didn’t do anything to you. Why should I listen to anything you say?”

Chrysalis’ ears folded back, and her gaze fell. “You shouldn’t...” The princess must not have been expecting such a response from the former queen of a changeling hive, because her hardened glare dissipated. “I’ve wronged you trying to sate my hunger for love, and there’s no excuse for my actions...” Chrysalis looked up, meeting Twilight’s eyes. “I came here to warn you about Thrawn and his destructive ship as a meager attempt to make amends for the things I’ve done. Those he represent mean to conquer this world, and after learning what it means to help another out of kindness...” She glanced towards Ezra. “I cannot allow that to happen.”

Silence filled the hall as everyone stared down their opponent. One trooper came forward with his blaster pointed at the changeling. “Sir, shall I give the order?”

Without taking his eyes off of Ezra, Thrawn shook his brand and raised an open hand. “No, captain... We are here as ambassadors of the Empire. As guests of the princess, she should be the one to decide what is to be done.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow at Thrawn before returning her gaze to the changeling. Then, she let out a long sigh. “I don’t know if I can believe you...” She looked back and forth between Chrysalis and Ezra. “... either of you, but fighting like this isn’t going to solve anyone’s problems. Chrysalis, if you really feel this way, then I want you to join Thrawn and me over lunch and talk this out.”

The changeling’s eyes narrowed towards Thrawn, but she kept her lips together. Ezra didn’t look too pleased either, but he too reluctantly agreed. As they came out of the palace, stormtrooper escort and all, Chrysalis saw that Thrawn’s star destroyer had arrived over Ponyville, casting a long shadow over the buildings below. Dozens of pegasus ponies buzzed around the massive vessel like moths to an open flame, but none dared go close enough to touch it.

Though she certainly didn’t feel welcome in the company she was in, Chrysalis didn’t feel alone. Ezra, the closest thing to a ‘friend’ she had ever managed to acquire, walked right beside her. “That was a pretty nice speech, Chrysalis. Do you think Twilight bought it?”

She turned her head to hide her smile. “It is how I truly feel, Ezra. Meeting you has changed the way I view the world.” She spoke only at a whisper, but up ahead, Twilight’s ears twitched, leaving the changeling unsure if she had been overheard or not.

Minutes later, they arrived at an open-air restaurant in the center of Ponyville. All around them, squads of stormtroopers patrolled the area and even mingled with some of the native ponies. All of them were far too distracted by the tall warriors in white armor and the flying ship to notice Chrysalis.

Twilight sat down at a table first with Thrawn to her immediate right. Then, Chrysalis and Ezra joined them by sitting at the opposite side of the round table.

“Alright...” Twilight Sparkle put her hooves on the table as a waiter arrived to take their orders. “... Let’s get to the bottom of this.”

***Up Next: The Usurper***