• Published 12th Nov 2017
  • 10,239 Views, 19 Comments

Equestria Ninjas: Shadow Play - Wildcard25



The Ninjas of New York and Ponies of Equestria band together to rescue the legendary heroes of Equestria and defeat the enemy they fought a Thousand Years ago.

  • ...
6
 19
 10,239

The Pony of Shadows

At first it started off like a good idea. A chance to release the legendary ponies from Limbo sounded like a once in a lifetime chance. But not everything turns out to be as easy as it sounds. That is what Princess Twilight and her friends learned the hard way. After releasing the pillars from Limbo, they unintentionally released the Pony of Shadows as well.

The dark pony laughed, "Your pitiful attempt to imprison me has failed, Star Swirl!"

Star Swirl tried to fire a blast of magic from his horn, but was too weak to cast it. He spoke to Twilight, "You must return us to limbo. It's the only way to stop him."

"I only figured out how to bring you back." Twilight answered.

"So let's try finding a way to undo it." Donnie suggested.

"Working on it." Sunburst started checking a book.

Donnie looked through it and groaned, "What good is a book without a table of contents?!"

"Allow me to assist," Pony of Shadows extended shadow spikes from his body piercing the book to one of the rocks, while the other spikes pierced the other five destroying all six formations, "There! Without the power of Ponhenge, your banishing spell is useless!"

Star Swirl turned to Twilight, "You have studied my writings. Surely you have some other plan."

"No. I just wanted to save you. I didn't think..."

The Pony of Shadows cut her off, "Don't fret. When I extinguish the light and hope of this miserable world, you won't remember any of this." he was about to blast them with his magic only for something to whack him in the face. He turned to see it was April who used her tessesn.

"Don't count on it." she warned him.

Leo drew his swords, and announced to his comrades, "Ninjas, take him down!" the ninjas jumped into battle along with Blade.

Each of them was striking at the shadow pony with their weapons distorting him. Casey flew up while bouncing explosive pucks off his goalie stick, "Let's see how ya like this. Goongala!" he swatted the explosive pucks at the Pony of Shadows, that exploded to distort his senses.

Blade jumped in while powering up his sword and sliced of of his enemies shadow tendrils, "Yes!" he pumped a fist only to see his enemy regenerating, "Oh, no."

"I don't know who you are, but you are an even bigger pestilence than those who trapped me!" The Pony of Shadows shouted, before blasting his magic at Leo.

"Leo, no!" Twilight jumped in and fired magic from her horn to counter the Pony of Shadows magic.

The evil pony recoiled before speaking, "This one is almost as... strong as you, Star Swirl. But even in my weakened state, she cannot stop the might of shadows!" he once again blasted Twilight with magic as she tried to hold him back with her own.

Suddenly Starlight jumped in lending Twilight her magic, "Lucky for her, she's not alone!" Starlight told the villain.

April joined in using her own magic with theirs, "And she never will be!" the three magic blasts overpowered the Pony of Shadows who backed off.

Star Swirl spoke to the creature, "Know this, fiend! We will not rest until we find a way to return you to limbo!"

The Pony of Shadows only growled, "Never! Your days of glory are through, Star Swirl. Now my dark power will reign, and you six will bow to me!" he turned to a cloud and went up to the sky taking the clouds with him, making the weather normal again.

"Where'd he go?" Shini asked.

Somnambula answered, "That is a riddle we must unravel. And quickly."

Meadowbrook asked Fluttershy and Mikey, "How long have we been gone."

"Over a thousand years." Fluttershy answered.

"Yeah. Long time we know." Mikey added.

"Then my spell worked," Star Swirl began, "Before it was meddled with and the realm has been at peace for a millennia!" he looked to Twilight with disappointment.

Leo came to her defense, "Give her a break, Star Swirl, like any of us would've known this was going to happen!"

"Yeah. You should've had better notes left over for any pony who may find them!" Raph added.

"Plus Bearded dude, Equestria wasn't always at peace since you left." Casey put in.

"It wasn't?" Rockhoof asked.

Pinkie spoke up, "Weeeeell... we did have to save everypony from Nightmare Moon and Discord and Chrysalis and King Sombra and Lord Tirek, and there was that one time when Starlight traveled through time and almost destroyed life as we know it! And Blade Swipe here tried to destroy us once before. But that's all in the past." Starlight and Blade smiled sheepishly at Star Swirl.

Flash Magnus spoke with confidence, "If you are truly this accomplished, we will stop the Pony of Shadows twice as fast together."

"Took the words out of my mouth." Mikey agreed.

"We shall see," Star Swirl began skeptically, "It is an easy thing to say you have saved the world. It is quite another to do it."

Leo spoke up, "If you knew what me and my comrades have done to save our world, you wouldn't sound so skeptical."

"Try me." Star Swirl replied.

Before Leo could speak, Mikey decided to answer, "We've fought monsters, mutants, alien brains and alien dinosaurs, ooh, there was also the time we fought iconic monsters from the past, and all sorts of messed up baddies."

"Incredible." Mistmane gasped.

"After witnessing how you fought, I can believe it." Flash Magnus admitted.

"But who are all of you?" Somnambula asked.

"I'm Leonardo."

"Michelangelo."

"Donatello."

"I'm Raphael."

"April O'Neil."

"Casey Jones."

"Karai."

"And I'm Shinigami."

Twilight spoke up, "I'm Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"Rarity, of course."

"Rainbow Dash the awesome flier of this century."

"Name's Applejack."

"Pinkie Pie!"

"Fluttershy."

"Starlight Glimmer."

"Sunburst."

"And I'm Spike."

"My name is Blade Swipe."

The pillars took notice of the four brothers and Blade's stature, "Ponies walking on their hind legs?" Meadowbrook asked.

"We really have been gone a long time." Rockhoof said.

"Actually, we're not your run of the mill ponies." Donnie admitted.

"Then what are you?" Flash Magnus asked.

Blade answered, "We're mutants."

"Mutants?" Somnambula asked.

"Yeah, it's a long story, but we don't have time to go into detail." Leo answered.

"He is correct," Star Swirl agreed, "Equestria's fate hangs in the balance. Saving it will not be an easy feat."

Rainbow spoke, "Oh, we've saved the world, Beardo. And we can do it again."

"It's what we do." Mikey added.

"Be that as it may, the problem of locating the Pony of Shadows remains, and this land is vast." Star Swirl noted.

Rarity spoke up, "It sounds like you need a map. Luckily, we have just the thing."

"Back to the castle." Blade instructed, as they all headed off.

As they walked or flew, Rockhoof looked at Casey, "That was an impressive move you pulled there, Casey."

"Really? Ya think?" he asked hopefully.

Rockhoof nodded, "That weapon you carry is just right for you."

"Thanks, but it's nowhere near as cool as that shovel of yours. I mean you dug a whole trench by yourself using it."

"I just did what I felt was right." Rockhoof admitted. Twilight watched feeling good for Casey to bond with one of the pillars, but just wish she left a better impression on Star Swirl.


Later back at Twilight's castle, the group was in the throne room looking at the cutie map. The pillars looked around as if they were feeling something familiar. Star Swirl spoke, "Something about this magic seems familiar..." he used his magic on the map projecting an image of the Tree of Harmony.

"What is that?" Karai asked.

"It's the Tree of Harmony." Twilight answered.

"Did you know he can do that?" Rarity asked Twilight.

"He's Star Swirl! He can do anything!" She answered with excitement.

Star Swirl spoke, "This map, and indeed this very castle, are grown from the seed we planted over a thousand years ago."

"Then it did work!" Rockhoof said proudly.

"What worked?" April asked.

Somnambula answered, "Each of us infused a crystal seed with our magic in hopes that it would grow into a force for good."

Mistmane continued, "We wanted to leave something to protect the realm in our absence, but we never dreamed our gift would become so powerful."

"Y'all mean the Elements came from you?" Applejack asked in disbelief.

"Fascinating." Donnie gasped, while the pillars were confused.

"The what now?" Flash Magnus asked in confusion.

Pinkie answered, "You know, the sparkly crystal things that grow from the Tree of Harmony and represent each of us? Laughter, honesty, generosity, loyalty, kindness, and magic!"

"Ring any bells in you now?" Raph inquired.

"They are reflections of our own elements of hope, strength, beauty, bravery, healing, and sorcery." Somnambula explained, while motioning to herself, Rockhoof, Mistmane, Flash Magnus, Meadowbrook, and Star Swirl. Each of the pillars and girls smiled at each other, while Star Swirl didn't even acknowledge Twilight.

"We had no idea our small seed would bloom into the living spirit of the land," Meadowbrook began, "I am glad our mantles have passed to such capable ponies."

Star Swirl spoke, "More importantly, we no longer need Ponhenge to send our foe back to limbo. We can use the stored magic in this Tree of Harmony."

"But doesn't a banishing spell take a lot of power?" Twilight asked, "We'd have to sacrifice the Elements for that."

"Correct." he confirmed.

"But the elements of harmony would be lost forever." Fluttershy gasped.

"Say it isn't so!" Mikey cried.

"Star Swirl, I don't think the Tree can survive without the Elements. If it dies, Equestria will suffer." Twilight pleaded with her mentor.

Blade spoke, "Twilight's right. It's too big of a risk."

Star Swirl answered, "If the Pony of Shadows has his way, your land will not exist. So unless you have a better idea..." he used his horn to return the map to normal and everyone saw dark clouds hanging over certain parts of Equestria, "Our foe will seek dark places from which to draw power. I will prepare my spell so that we may strike as soon as you find him."

"Well, what're we waiting for?" Rainbow asked.

"Let's go find us a shadow pony." Casey added.

Flash spoke to the two, "I like your spirits."

"Indeed." Rockhoof agreed. As everyone got excited, Twilight left sulking, which didn't go unnoticed by Starlight, Leo, and Karai.


The three walked through the halls, as Starlight spoke, "I feel bad for Twilight."

"Me too, even if Twilight didn't think things all the way through, none of us could've seen this coming." Leo added.

"Apparently Star Swirl doesn't believe in mistakes." Karai noted, as they reached the library to see Twilight panicking.

"Twi, are you ok?" Leo asked.

"I just unleashed ultimate evil and doomed Equestria because I was obsessed with meeting my idol! Why wouldn't I be okay?!" Twilight asked, before dropping her head on the table.

Starlight scoffed, "You didn't know that was gonna happen."

"None of us did." Karai added.

"But I should have listened to you and left things alone. Now the Elements of Harmony will be lost to fix my mistake!" Twilight continued to crack.

"Maybe there's another way." Starlight suggested.

"There's always another way." Leo confirmed.

"If there is Twilight will find it." Spike said, as he carried a stack of books.

Twilight checked a book, "Portal gate... Portal keys... Portal spells... Yes! If the Pillars can hold open the gateway to limbo, a powerful pony can do the banishing spell herself! Do you know what this means?"

"I can stop carrying books?" Spike asked, while panting.

Twilight explained her plan, "The Pillars don't have to leave Equestria! Even though we'll lose the Elements, we'll have the ponies that created them. And the Pony of Shadows will be banished for good!"

The three looked uneasy, as Starlight asked, "Great, but I was thinking of another way that maybe doesn't involve banishing at all?"

"Yeah, I thought we could find another way." Leo agreed.

"Guys, Star Swirl knew what he was doing when he cast that spell. If I can make it even better, maybe he'll see that I take magic as seriously as he does." Twilight said with hope.

Karai spoke, "I don't think trying to impress him is all worth it."

"What?" Twilight gasped, "How can you say that, Karai?"

"I mean you no disrespect, Twilight, but ever since he got here all he's been doing is behaving like everyone is below him and that he doesn't care what he does as long as he gets his way. It's just like being around Shredder."

"Karai, that is a horrible thing to say!" Twilight snapped, "Star Swirl is not like Shredder. He stopped the Pony of Shadows from conquering Equestria."

"Well, listening to him talk about banishment like it's a normal thing rubs me the wrong way." Karai argued.

Starlight and Leo came between them, "Girls, come on, this is no time to start arguing." Leo warned them.

"Leo's right. We start fighting each other, we'll get nowhere." Starlight added.

Twilight and Karai looked at each other and sighed, "I'm sorry, Twilight." Karai apologized.

"I'm sorry too, Karai." Twilight replied, as the embraced.

"Hey, we're back!" Came Mikey's voice.


The five returned to the throne room to see the others, "Did you find anything?" Leo asked his brothers.

"Zilch." Raph answered.

"All the potential places Star Swirl predicted where The Pony of Shadows would go don't appear to be suited for him." Donnie explained.

Star Swirl spoke, "It seems there are fewer dark corners in the realm these days."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Mikey asked.

"True. The Pony of Shadows will have a hard time regaining power," Flash admitted, "When he rears his head, we'll be ready!"

"You bet we will." Casey agreed.

"Isn't there some way to banish him without losing all of you?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah, anything at all?" April wondered.

Meadowbrook answered, "Oh, I wish there were. But to save our home, we are willin' to leave it."

"I don't think you'll have to," Twilight answered, as she came in carrying a scroll, "My spell isn't finished yet, but I think we can send the Pony of Shadows to limbo without all of you having to go as well!"

Star Swirl brushed it off, "While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Twilight, this is hardly the time to take risks on half-baked spells."

Twilight sighed, only for Leo to once again come to her aid, "Twilight doesn't do anything half way."

"Especially not magic!" Pinkie added.

"Seriously! She got her wings by finishing one of your spells!" Rainbow Dash clarified.

"And that calls for something." Raph agreed.

"I think you'll find her work is worth reading before you dismiss it out of hoof!" Rarity insisted.

"That's right." Shini agreed, as the others stuck by Twilight's side.

Meadowbrook looked the spell over, "While it is an unconventional approach, I believe it could work."

Star Swirl looked it over, "Hmm. I suppose there is a chance."

"Of course there is," Leo replied, "As long as our hearts still beat and are willing to keep fighting, there's always a chance."

"But we still have no idea where to find the villain." Sunburst reminded them.

"At times like this I wish we had a sign." Mikey sighed, until the cutie marks of Twilight and the girls began to shine and went to a spot on the map.

"Maybe we should try there?" Spike suggested.

"Where is there?" Karai asked.

Applejack answered, "The Hollow Shades. I think a branch of the Apple family lives there."

"They'd have to be pretty distant. The Hollow Shades was abandoned eons ago." Sunburst noted.

"Sounds like the perfect place for a shadow pony." Blade added.

"Hmm, that's odd. The only time the map's called all of us to one place was Starlight's village." Rarity recalled.

"So it's like a super-villain tracker! No offense." Rainbow told Starlight, who raised a brow feeling irritated.

Twilight spoke to Star Swirl, "Do you think the map could be trying to tell us where the Pony of Shadows is?"

"Hmm... The Tree of Harmony acting to protect the light of the realm... Yes. A good thought, Twilight," he confirmed, as Twilight squealed having finally gotten a bit of recognition from her idol, "I will make my notes on this spell. Ready yourselves for battle."

Starlight spoke up, "Uh, I know I'm not as experienced as all of you, but is banishment really the only option? I mean, it's been a long time. Maybe the Pony of Shadows is ready to talk?"

Star Swirl answered, "I doubt we can save our homeland with a conversation."

"Well, we can still try." Karai argued.

Twilight spoke to the two, "Karai, Starlight, I'm sure Star Swirl and the others did try."

However, Star Swirl had a different answer, "The Pony of Shadows was not interested in reconciliation. Once a villain, always a villain."

At the sound of that, the turtle/pony ninja, and their friends gasped. Karai frowned, "What did you say?"

"Must I repeat myself, child?" Star Swirl asked rhetorically.

"Once a villain, always a villain?" she repeated him sounding angrier, which her friends knew was not sitting well with her, "Is that how you view all villains? What about somepony who was taken from her father by another pretending to be her birth father and raised her to believe that her birth father was her enemy. Is it her fault for that?!" she hissed as her eyes turned into her snake ones, and her snake fangs grew.

Star Swirl was taken aback by this, until Leo jumped in and broke them up, "Karai, enough! He's not worth it!" Karai with much reluctance backed down and turned away from Star Swirl. Leo turned to the wizard and spoke equally angry, "I don't know what you were raised to believe, but know this even a villain is more than capable of changing."

Blade stood by Leo's side, "I can vouch for Leo on this."

"I hate to break up this spat, but we got important things to deal with now." Donnie said.

Star Swirl answered, "Correct. Twilight, Sunburst, Donatello, would you accompany me? I wish to refine this spell for our use." he said, as the three followed him.

"Come. We must prepare for the struggle ahead." Rockhoof said, as they left the throne room.

Starlight and Karai sighed, as Spike spoke, "Don't listen to him. He just doesn't know the kind of ponies you really are."

"Thanks, Spike," Karai replied, "I just can't believe Twilight would idolize somepony like him."

"Star Swirl is a great wizard, but this whole plan seems... wrong. The map's only ever sent us to solve friendship problems." Starlight added.

"Maybe so, but the Pony of Shadows doesn't really seem like the "friendship" type." Spike replied.

"We don't know that for sure." Karai noted.

"Well, nopony does." Spike reminded them.

Starlight and Karai lit up as an idea came to mind, "Actually, there might be." Starlight said.

"The Pillars have to know about him, so let's ask." Karai suggested, as they went to talk to them.


Meanwhile the pillars, and the ninjas were preparing themselves for battle, until the two former baddies approached, "A moment of your time, honored ones." Karai inquired.

"Certainly, Karai." Meadowbrook replied.

"You all knew the Pony of Shadows before he became what he is now," Starlight began, "You must've been friends. So what happened?"

"Yeah, how did he come to be?" April wondered herself.

The Pillars looked at each other uneasy, as Rockhoof began, "The tale of our rift is a sad one."

"We've heard plenty of sad and tragic tales ourselves." Mikey admitted.

The Pillars flashed back a thousand years ago, when the Dazzlings who were just sirens used their hypnotic voices to spread disharmony across Equestria so they could feed on it.

Rockhoof narrated, "Stygian was a pony like the rest of us, though more scholar than hero. He recognized our emerging world would need champions to defend it." After the pillars banished the Dazzlings through the portal, the pillars were being praised, while Stygian was left in the dust.

Flash Magnus narrated a bit, "He may have gathered us together, but he himself was just an ordinary unicorn who soon grew jealous of our abilities."

"He stole objects from each of us. Artifacts to use in a spell." Mistmane narrated.

"And we cast him out for it." Meadowbrook added.

Somnambula finished, "We always thought he'd return and seek forgiveness. But when we saw him again, his heart was bent on revenge. He dashed even my hope of saving him."

"But why would he do that in the first place?" Karai asked.

"No doubt it was an enchantment to take our powers for himself." Meadowbrook believed.

"So you just banished him without even hearing him out?" Starlight asked.

"It was Star Swirl's order." Rockhoof answered.

"There's a surprise." Raph replied dryly.

"Looks like we'll have to get answers out of him now." Starlight said.

"Agreed." Karai nodded, as they went to talk to him.


In the library, Star Swirl, and the three eggheads were busy refining the spell of Twilight's, as Donnie spoke, "So if you do it like that it will work." Donnie finished.

Star Swirl spoke, "You have a brilliant mind, Donatello. Such a shame you're not a unicorn. You could really perfect various spells."

Donnie looked excited, but saw Twilight looking dismal for not being as commended, "You give me too much credit Star Swirl. Besides my intelligence is better suited for science, not magic."

Starlight and Karai came in and noticed all the books, "That looks like a lot of work." Starlight began.

"It is what must be done, and it would be best if we were not disturbed." Star Swirl answered.

"Rude much?" Karai asked.

Twilight spoke, "I'm sorry, but we can't stop to talk. The stakes are too high, and we have to..."

"Banish Stygian to limbo. We get it." Starlight replied.

"Who?" Sunburst asked.

"Who's Stygian?" Donnie asked.

"Stygian was the name the Pony of Shadows gave up when he turned to darkness." Star Swirl explained.

"And we're just trying to figure out why." Starlight noted.

"Envy," Star Swirl replied, "He wanted more power than he had, and that desire led him down a path from which there is no return!"

Karai frowned, "So says you!"

"I know from experience that's not always true," Starlight added, before turning to Twilight, "When the map called you six to my village, it was for a friendship problem. Are you sure this is different?"

Before Twilight could say anything, Star Swirl spoke, "Stygian wants to destroy all that is good in this world. There's no way to befriend a pony like that." he walked away.

Both Starlight and Karai looked more hurt than before. Starlight spoke to Twilight in tears, "I guess I'm lucky your idol wasn't around when you decided to be my friend. I might've been banished to limbo, too." she left.

Karai spoke to the Princess, "Is your idol still as cracked up to be as you thought? Like I said, being around him is no different than being around Shredder." she went after Starlight leaving Twilight second guessing everything.

Donnie spoke, "I actually agree with them. All this talk of banishment seems to the be the only method Star Swirl knew. But we're different from him. We have our own ways."

"I know, Donnie, but right now this is our best option." Twilight replied.

"If you say so." Donnie replied, as they left the library.


The group walked up to the Tree of Harmony, with the ninjas and pillars looking amazed, "Wow, pretty." Mikey gasped.

"It's beautiful." April added.

"Amazing." Shini put in.

"So those are the elements of harmony?" Donnie asked.

"Indeed." Rarity confirmed.

Somnambula spoke in nostalgia, "I am glad we have the chance to see what has grown from our efforts so long ago."

"It seems a shame to harm it." Mistmane said in guilt.

"A necessary sacrifice," Star Swirl began, "With the Elements' power, we will bind the Pony of Shadows in limbo. And thanks to Twilight, we will remain to watch over the realm ourselves." he used his magic on the elements as they became necklaces for the five girls, and Twilight's former crown.

"So how do we use them?" Rockhoof asked.

"Yeah, how?" Casey wondered.

"Well, you... Oh. I'm not sure. They simply work for us." Rarity answered also feeling unsure.

"This is why they should make instruction manuals." Mikey said.

Star Swirl spoke to the girls, "The Elements are attuned to you. We must use their magic in pairs."

"No problem, we're used to banishing evil before breakfast." Rainbow boasted.

"And it'll be an honor to save Equestria with ya'll." Applejack added.

Leo stepped forward and put his hand out, "Alright team. This is for Equestria. We will fight to protect it."

His friends put their hands or hoofs on top of his before the girls, Sunburst, and Starlight put their hoofs on theirs. The pillars each put their own hooves in while Star Swirl stood off to the side, "Star Swirl, are you with us?" Leo asked.

The ponies looked to him, as he tried to remain indifferent, before reluctantly putting his hoof on top. This act made them happy, as they broke, "Alright, onward to the Hollow Shades!" Mikey cheered, as they set out.

Starlight spoke to Karai, "I hope Twilight knows what she's doing."

"You and me both." Karai agreed, as they followed.


They arrived at the Hollow Shades seeing a red sky above it, "I don't remember reading anything that said the Hollow Shades was like this." Sunburst noted.

"Looks like our shadow friend was here already." Raph deduced.

Mistmane spoke, "Raphael is right, the Pony of Shadows must have twisted it to his purposes."

"So it's up to us to change it back." Leo said.

They stopped to hear a familiar evil laugh. April concentrated, "He's here all right." she said.

"Prepare yourselves," Star Swirl instructed everyone, "Stygian! Show yourself and face us!"

The Pony of Shadows' laugh echoed around them, as the ground started cracking, "Oops." Mikey said, as the ground caved in, and they fell through a hole.

They landed in a pile before picking themselves up, "Wipe out." Mikey groaned.

"Where are we?" Casey asked, as they looked around seeing they were in a hidden chamber that was dedicated to the Pony of Shadow.

"Freaky." Raph said.

Sunburst spoke, "I definitely would've remembered reading about this."

The Pony of Shadows' laugh continued to echo, as Star Swirl provided a protection spell around them. The dark pony appeared, and spoke, "Welcome to the Well of Shade! When you turned your backs on me, I discovered this place. The darkness spoke to me of a power beyond any I could imagine, and I listened. The shadow and I became one. Soon, all of the realm will be the same. Then all ponies will feel the despair I did when you cast me out!" he called the pillars out.

"We did what we had to do. You tried to steal our powers for yourself." Star Swirl accused him.

"No! It was you who were selfish! And now you will pay!" The Pony of Shadow concentrated his dark magic, and appearing on the floor were multiple miniature versions of himself in anthro form.

"They look like Dusk Ninjas." Donnie gasped.

"Only badder." Mikey said.

April used her magic to make an opening in the barrier allowing the ninjas to get out, "Alright, team, let's take them!" Leo ordered.

"Booyakasha!" Mikey shouted, as the ninjas went into battle.

Leo and Blade using their skills with the sword tag teamed against some of the smaller shadow ponies slicing them and they evaporated into clouds.

"Come and get some!" Raph said, as he plowed through some of the shadow ponies.

Donnie used his bo-staff to trip some of the minions up, before stabbing one with the spear part. April using both her tessen and tanto was able to subdue some of the shadow ponies. Casey flew in whacking some of the minions with his baseball bat.

Mikey and Shini jumped around before lassoing up some of the mini pony of shadows with their chain weapons before throwing them into a wall. Karai was using her own blade against some ponies, until Spike called out, "Karai, behind you!"

Karai shifted into her snake form and dodged three shadow ponies, before using her serpent strikes at them. She shifted back to pony form before smirking at Star Swirl to give him a hint.

Starlight spoke to Twilight, "Are you still sure this isn't a friendship problem?" Twilight was second guessing herself, until Star Swirl ordered.

"Ready? Open the portal... Now!" the barrier broke, as the girls used the elements of harmony combined with the pillars artifacts to open the portal to Limbo. The portal began assimilating the villain, while they tried pushing him into it.

"No!" The Pony of Shadows cried, "You will not trap me again!"

"Twilight! Push him in!" Star Swirl ordered.

Twilight was about to use her magic to help, until she saw a normal pony trying to pull himself out of the Pony of Shadows. She could tell it was a unicorn, with short mane colored moderate cerulean and arctic blue, eyes colored brilliant azure, and his coat was medium gray, "There's a pony in there."

"What?" the ninjas gasped.

Twilight flew into the shadow, and found herself wandering in darkness she used her horn to provide light, and saw the pony, "Are you... Stygian?" she asked.

"I was once," he began, "Until my friends betrayed me."

"But Star Swirl says you betrayed them. You wanted their magic..." Twilight told him.

Stygian answered, "No! I wanted their respect. I brought them together. I planned strategy, and I read all I could about the beasts we faced. But I didn't have magic or strength, so nopony ever noticed me. I went to Ponhenge to make my own copies of the artifacts. With them, I thought I could be a Pillar, too, and stand by their side in battle. I never wanted to steal their power," As Stygian explained, all the ponies on the outside overheard him, and the pillars realized they made a mistake in judging him, "But instead of sharing and letting me help, my friends threw me out," his voice grew deeper and he growled, "So I became stronger than any of them! The darkness welcomed me when no pony would, and I will do what I must to protect it!" shadow surrounded Stygian and his eyes turned full white.

Twilight tried to reason, "This is all a misunderstanding! If the Pillars knew how you felt, I'm sure they wouldn't have turned their backs on you. The shadow isn't who you really are. Let me help you be Stygian again."

"Even if my friends did still care, what makes you think you have the power to help me?" Stygian asked with skepticism.

"Because it's what she does." Karai answered, as she and Starlight appeared in the darkness.

Starlight spoke, "I wasn't so different from you, and Twilight helped me change. If there's one pony in Equestria that can save a friendship, it's her."

"And I met a group of others who taught me a similar lesson." Karai added.

Stygian felt touched by their words, but strained, "I... I want to believe you... But the darkness will not be stopped!" he repelled the three, as the shadows started surrounding him.

"We have to get him out of here." Karai told Twilight.

The Princess used her magic to wrap a lasso around Stygian's hoof. The three ponies jumped out of the shadow and tried pulling him out, "Fight the darkness, Stygian! You don't need it anymore! Revenge isn't what you want! Friendship is!" she started losing her grip on Stygian.

"Twilight!" Starlight called, as she used her magic to help pull Stygian out. The shadow roared as it struggled.

"The shadow won't let go of him. He wants to stop, but he can't do it alone." Karai told the pillars.

"Then we must help him!" Star Swirl declared, as he, Blade Swipe, and Sunburst used their magic to help the two followed by April and Shini.

The others used the power of the elements to provide additional help to Stygian, with their combined efforts, they tugged Stygian out of the the shadow that was sent through the portal, "NO!" the shadow cried, as the portal closed trapping it.

Without the Pony of Shadows, its dark magic was extinguished allowing the sun to shine down on Hollow Shades. Every pony climbed or flew out of the hole. Rainbow cheered, "Yeah! Oh, it felt sooooo good to do that again!"

"Friendship power rush! WHOO!" Pinkie bounced.

"We're the best!" Mikey danced, "Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go!"

Rarity noticed they still has the elements, "The Elements! They didn't disappear!"

"Maybe because we used them for healing magic instead of banishing?" Fluttershy asked.

"Affirmative, Fluttershy." Donnie agreed.

"Look." Leo motioned to Star Swirl who helped Stygian out of the pit.

The old pony had something to say to the young one, "Long ago, you needed our help, Stygian. But instead of listening, we turned our backs on you. Pride clouded my judgment. I owe you an apology," he turned to Twilight, "Thank you for helping us see the errors of our ways, Twilight. It seems I never accounted for the Magic of Friendship."

Twilight smiled, "Thank you, Swirlstar! Uh, Star Swirl!" the girls noticed their cutie marks glow meaning their friendship mission was a success.

"Looks like that's it for this mission." April said.

Starlight and Karai cleared their throats, "Soooo... apparently a conversation can save Equestria?" Starlight teased.

Star Swirl could only chuckle knowing he was proved wrong, "Something tells me I will be making a lot of apologies today."

"Well, you know who you can start with after Stygian." Leo told him.

Star Swirl turned to Starlight and Karai, "I am deeply sorry for what I said to the two of you. I've been so clouded by judgment and pride it never did occur to me that anypony can change if given the chance to."

"Thank you, sir." Starlight smiled.

"And I'll have you know something, Star Swirl," Karai began, "Those sirens you banished? They changed as well, and they now work for me."

Star Swirl was shocked, before speaking, "These truly are different times." the group laughed.