• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 1,071 Views, 20 Comments

A Sickness of the Heart - Moonraker



When Daring Do accidently opens a portal between Equestria and the Yucatan in the year 1547 she encounters the Spanish who soon send an expedition back through the portal to explore, and hopefully conquer, Equestria.

  • ...
1
 20
 1,071

Chapter 2 – Un Día Normal

Author's Note:

Happy New Year! And what no better way to ring it in then a new chapter. As I said before this is a work in progress so constructive criticism is appreciative. Thank you.

There was nothing but darkness, a vast empty void, vacant of sound, of movement, of anything. It was a place where thoughts were nonexistent and reality far away. This was a realm that could only be accessed through the solace of sleep. Peaceful, tranquil, almost weightless, it was the type of place that one could only dream of. But from out of this abyss a voice cried out.

“Iago…”

“Hmm?”

It was faint and far off, from where and by whom it was unknown. Before any thoughts of its creation could be formulated silence returned to the void. All was quite once more until the voice called out again.

“Iago…”

“Huh?”

This time it was closer with booming tone that was clearly a man. The void shook a little as it echoed through the abyss. Far off into the darkness a thin slit of light appeared in the distance. But, just as before, all was quite again and the slit of light disappeared. Everything returned back to the way it was, peaceful and tranquil. After what felt like an eternity it seemed that the disturbance was gone for good…until the voice boomed once again.

“Iago!”

Iago’s eyes snapped open as the loud voice blared in his ear followed by a kick against his side. The sudden shock of what was happening forced him to sit upright.

“What the…”

All around darkness still filled his vision. His sleep filled mind tried to put together what was going on as his eyes adjusted to the settings around it.

“Get up you lazy ipurdian,” a voice cried out from above.

Iago looked up to find a large figure standing over him, partly hidden by darkness.

“Time to get up!”

“That voice…”

He recognized the voice, and if anything about the large figure could add was that he soon put together who it was that had rudely awaken him.

“Jakes?” He responded, a mixture of drowsiness and irritation.

“What are you doing?”

By this time Iago’s eyes began to discern the various shapes and features of the darkness around him. It was visible that he was in a small singled roomed building. The walls were made from mud and clay plastered against a patchwork of reeds, illuminated by a slither of blue light coming in from a cloth covered doorway. A small fire pit was situated in the middle of the room, the embers still giving off a glow from a dying fire. Standing beside the pit were two large wooden timbers that towered up into the ceiling; web of wooden rafters holding up a patchwork of thatch that acted as the roof. A small hole sat above where the fire pit was where smoke could escape to the outside.

Strewn upon the dirt floor, other men slept soundly upon woven mats, their dark figures gently rising and falling as they breathed in quite slumber. All around weapons, amour, and various other items were strewn about along the walls and on the ground next to their rightful owners. The air was warm and stuffy with the smell of thatch and unwashed bodies, creating a more then familiar stench that all the sleeping residents had gotten used to. Standing before him in the middle of all this was the imposing figure of Jakes.

“Don’t tell me you have forgotten what we’re doing today,” he asked, his imposing figure leaning more over him.

“Forgotten? Forgotten what?

“What are you talking about,” replied Iago, rubbing away at the sand in his eyes.

“The hunting party, remember?”

Iago laid back on his mat as he picked his mind as Jakes shuffled impatiently in the dark waiting for a response.

“You promised me that you would help,” he blared.

After some hard thinking, Iago’s memory managed to snap back to the day before. He had been going about his daily duties as usual when Jakes had approached him in a state of distress. Unaware of what he was walking into, he, sadly, had inquired. He knew he had been planning a hunting expedition out into the jungle for almost a week. It had been the only thing he would talk about and kept him away from his other duties, much to the irritation of some of the men. He informed him that one of them had fallen sick with some blasted disease and was short one man. Feeling sorry Iago had offered his assistance out of courtesy, not at all expecting to be dragged out of bed in the middle of the night.

“Ah shit.”

“That’s today? Lo siento, that completely slipped my mind.” Iago replied sincerely.

“Oh you will be sorry, if you don’t get off your lazy ipurdian!”

The remark was followed by a swift kick in the shin.

“Alright! Alright! I’m moving! Just don’t wake the whole compañia!”

Jakes continued to stand over Iago, much to his irritation, no doubt to make sure that he was truly making an effort. As Iago fully sat himself up, Jakes seemed satisfied enough to leave him and head for the doorway

“I’ll be waiting outside,” he said, lifting the cloth blanket over the doorway. A wave of blue light flooded the room, causing Iago to cover his eyes in discomfort.

”Don’t take long,” he snipped before slipping outside.

“Basque Bastardo”

Iago flopped back down onto his comfortable mat.

“Why did I agree to do this?”

He stared up at the thatch ceiling watching the rafters dance before his tired eyes. All he really wanted to do was to stay right where he was and drift off back to sleep. The entire day before he had sweated and toiled at the daily drove of assigned duties. Tired and sore, the mat beckoned him to stay, and he was tempted to just continue lying there but he knew if he wasn’t going to get up on his own, then Jakes would do it for him. The thought of the oaf barging back in and dragging his, “ipurdian” as he put it, out of the hut to throw him into the horse trough was an experience he was not fond of having.

“Huhhhh…”

Letting out a loud sigh, he propelled himself off of the mat and onto his feet. His bare feet touched the barren ground, moving the dirt around as he shuffled about the dark. The blanket covering him slid off revealing the clothes he wore the day before: a pair of brown hoses and a white long sleeved camisa; stained in all sorts of manner of dirt, sweat, and things of uncertain origins. Iago lifted the dirty shirt and took a whiff, reeling back in disgust.

“God, I need to remember to clean these before the end of the week.”

He let go of his shirt and turned to a large pile of equipment and packs stacked against the wall; the collective property of the resident soldiers of the hut. Kneeling down before the pile of cloth and leather he quietly rummaged thought its contents trying to discern his property from the rest in the dim light.

“Where can it be?”

After a short time combing through the pile Iago began to pull one by one all he cherished and owned. A pair of worn-out shoes, a morphed leather pack, a ruff cotton armor esquipil vest, a scratched yet polished round steel shield, and a rusted iron morion helmet. Once Iago felt satisfied that he had collected all he owned he turned toward gearing up. As he placed his leather pack and the steel shield on the bed mat beside him he caught glimpse of his initials, JR, carved into the leather flap. Iago ran his fingers over the engraved initials.

“It’s been so long…”

His feelings of homesickness did not linger as the idea of an angry Jakes returning reminded him of what little time he had.

“Snap out of it Iago! You don’t have time for such thoughts.”

Setting it aside he took the shoes and one by one beat against the soles with his hands.

Thump. Thump.

When nothing nasty came tumbling out he proceeded to put them on his feet. This task proved very difficult as the cloth had shrunk in the night, making the process of putting his feet into each shoe a challenge. Iago did best to balance himself while using all the force he could muster in sliding the first shoe over his foot, grumbling under his voice.

“I hate it when they do this.”

After a small struggle he managed to get the first shoe on without causing a ruckus. But as he started working on the other one, Jakes stuck his head through the doorway.

“What’s taking so long?!”

“Por el amor de dios…”

“Hold your horses, god dammit!” Iago snapped back

The twos bickering was meet with a response from one of the hut’s occupants.

“You two quite down I’m trying to sleep here!”

“Shut up,” the two retorted.

There was some grumbling followed by the sound of shifting blankets and then all went silent again. Iago turned and gave the dark head of Jakes the evil eye, though there was no guarantee that he could see it in the dark. Yet, somehow, Jakes seemed to feel Iago’s eyes burning holes into his skull, and without a word, slid back outside.

“Gracias.”

With no more distractions Iago turned back to his battle with the other shoe which managed to slide on without a hassle. The shoes felt tight over his feet as Iago shuffled around a bit.

“Hopefully they’ll get more comfortable as the day goes on,” he thought.

Not wanting to waste any more time he turned and picked up the cotton esquipil and morion from the ground and rushed for the doorway. Before leaving, however, Iago turned his attention to the wall next to the door. Hammered into the mud was numerous wooden pegs, placed there by the hut’s new occupants, upon which resided a massive collection of belts, scabbards, swords, jackets, and vests of all sorts of colors, shapes, and sizes. Included among them was his belt with scabbards, in which his dagger and broad sword resided. With esquipil and morion in hand, Iago grabbed the belt from its peg, the scabbards making a clinking sound as he finally ducked out the doorway to the outside.

A wave blue light greeted Iago as he left the dark confines of the hut. The covered doorway lead out into a narrow dirt street lined on all sides by dozens of similar ramshackle huts of thatch and mud. The cool night air was invigorating to the senses and Iago filled his lungs with as much of it as he could. As a well needed jolt of energy went through his drowsy body, he couldn’t helpd but let out a grateful sigh.

“Ahhhhhh…”

“Enjoying ourselves are we?”

Iago turned around to face Jakes who was leaning next to the hut doorway, arms crossed in impatience. The mourning light allowed for Iago to much better see him. Jakes was dressed in a similar outfit: ragged white shirt, faded green pants, and ragged leather shoes. A leather armored vest covered his broad chest while a broad sword hung from a belt around his slightly stout gut. A mess of unkempt black hair covered his round face, except for a large protruding nose, with strands of grey from old age scattered here and there. A simple red cap with a protruding gold feather topped his head. Straitening up, he stood slightly taller than Iago but not enough to tower over him.

“Buenos días to you too,” Iago chided back.

“You sure you got everything,” he sarcastically responded, nodding to the bundle in Iago’s hands.

Iago just shrugged his shoulders with obvious lack of enthusiasm.

“Sure…”

Despite the cool mourning air, tempers were still running warm.

“…and it would have gone quicker if SOMEONE didn’t barge in because of his lack of patience.”

A slight grin crossed Jakes face.

“You were taking too long,” he happily responded “, I was doing you a favor, checking to see if you hadn’t gone back to dream land again.”

“How considerate of you…”

“Besides I wasn’t the one yelling loud enough for all the world to hear.”

He emphasized the point by pushed a finger into his chest. Iago, unprepared by the sudden force, stumbled back a step but quickly regained his balance. He stared coldly at Jakes, his eyes showing he was more than willing to take a right hook to wipe that stupid grin off his face but Iago knew he was much smarter than that.

“I don’t care who is to blame let’s just get this over with and be done.”

Hearing those words leave his mouth, Jakes just shrugged nonchalantly.

“I’m good with that”

He gave a swift slap on Iago’s back as he stepped out into the narrow street. It wasn’t as shocking the first time as he had been braced for it this time.

“Come on,” he cried, waving for Iago to follow“, were burning daylight.”

Iago followed, grumbling quietly to himself

Stupid…dumb…idiotic…oaf…

Before he could even take his first step, Iago felt Jakes hand press against his chest, stopping him in his tracks.

“Uno momento,” he said.

Before Iago could object, Jakes placed two fingers in his mouth a let out a high pitched whistle. From a small side alley a dark figure stirred near the ground. From out of the darkness lumbered a large dog that Iago was all too much familiar with.

“Of course,” cried Iago in annoyance,” you had to bring Maite along didn’t you?”

Maite, Jakes personal canine companion. A Spanish Mastiff by breed, a war dog by trade, yet a gentle giant by nature. Any casual onlooker would not have guessed that men have died in her maw, except the Indios who avoid her like the plague. She slowly walked up to Jakes and stood at his side, her tongue hanging out as she looked up at her owner fondly. Jakes rubbed his hand through her thick brindle colored coat, which drooped over her body like a heavy blanket. Around her neck was an ugly looking chain metal collar with spikes protruding from it that protected her neck.

“What?” Jakes responded, confused. “It’s not like she hasn’t been of great help to us in the past. What has she ever done to you?”

Iago looked down to find Maite having turned her attention away from Jakes and was staring at him

God I can’t hate you.”

“Absolutely nothing…,” responded Iago.

Trying not to drop anything, he awkwardly bent over and patted the mastiff on the head, causing Maite’s tail to beat happily against the ground.

“…other than being related to you.”

Jakes gave him a punch to the shoulder.

“Oye, you shut your mouth!”

Iago replied in kind with his own punch to Jakes’ shoulder, but all in friendly jest.

“Now what were you saying before about getting this over quickly,” stated a flustered Jakes, “Let’s get going already!”

Though you’d never say.”

Together they began to walk down the narrow street, with Maite trotting not far behind them. The streets were all but abandoned as the two men made their way through the winding narrow maze of paths through the crowded huts. As they headed for the edge of the settlement, Jakes and Iago discussed about the days ahead, of duties they would have to attend to, and general gossip.

“…so have you heard the news from Merida?”

“Which news would that be,” Iago responded, his words muffled by the cotton padding over his head. He was halfway through the process of putting on his equipment; his scabbard clinked along the ground as his belt hung loose from his waist and his arms were trying to juggle his helmet as he awkwardly sliding his armored vest over his head.

“The viceroy hasn’t called for more soldiers?”

“No, no, not at all,” said Jakes waving it off with his hand.

“There were some men from the last supply train who had just sailed here from Havana to Vera Cruz. Apparently as they were making the voyage their ship came under attack from pirates.”

“Pirates?” exclaimed Iago his head now fully out of his armor.

“Thats not news,” he proclaimed, putting his helm on, “that’s just normal.”

“You didn’t let me finish,” huffed Jakes.

“It wasn’t the attack that was peculiar but who it was, Francos”

“French!?”

Iago stopped fiddling with his belt as his brain tried processing this news.

French? Here?

“How did they know they were even French," Iago asked in bewilderment.

“I asked them that question as well,” Jakes stated, ”they told me that it was very hard to be mistaken when they are yelling French clear as day at them as they tried to board.”

Iago was unimpressed but whether it was founded or not this was still a surprising development.

“I guess they finally decided to try and join in on the spoils huh,” Iago said jokingly.

“Ha! Jokes on them then since anything that is worth the taking is now long gone!”

The two men’s’ laughter echoed off the buildings and down the street at the perceived misery.

“Yet they are more than welcomed to wallow in our own misery if they so deem it,” shouted Iago.

Their laughter continued as they made their way farther and farther through the settlement. Eventually they managed to recompose themselves and press on, passing by burnt down huts, embers still shouldering, and through streets scattered with rubble, signs of recent destruction. It wasn’t long before Iago, Jakes, and Maite, as they turned a street corner, that they found themselves standing before a major intersection. The road before them had changed from the well tread back streets to a major roadway made of stone and rubble fill, colored white with limestone plaster. The other side of the street was more than 40 paces away, making the road wide enough to drive three wagons side by side down it.

Along the boulevard, prominent homes of stone lined the roadway, trailing off in either direction. To the north, the town center could be seen, where the foreboding silhouette of the city temple, a tall pyramid of stone, climbed high into the sky. At the top of the pyramid, the altar and shrine could almost be seen as the sun was beginning to break the dim eastern horizon, adding traces of orange to the sky. Looking on at the ginormous structure Iago felt his heart sink within his chest. He placed his hand over his gut to trying to quell a suddenly queasy stomach. His body jolted when a hand touched his shoulder.

“You alright?”

Iago turned to see Jakes looking at him with concern.

“You aren’t coming down with something are you?"

Iago’s disgust was obvious enough for to catch Jakes attention.

“I’m fine, just a bit drowsy that’s all,” Iago lied.

He didn’t want to talk about such things with anybody, especially him. Iago’s lie seemed to work as Jakes sense of concern vanished from his face and was replaced with jest.

“Ona! The last thing I want is for you to come down with something as well,” he bellowed.

“Now come on! We’re almost there.”

Jakes turned left down the white road, away from the town center, with Maite trailing behind. Iago took one more glance at the distant temple.

“I can’t wait for that thing to be torn down.”

With that he turned back towards the street and ran to catch up with Jakes, once again. While the part of the white road heading north lead to the center plaza, heading south it lead out of town. The two continued to walk pass hut after hut, as they headed for the outskirts. Thankfully instead of the maze they had to endure, they now had a straight path to follow.

Up to that point, the two had not seen a living soul while traversing the maze of hovels but as the sun began to break the horizon signs of life began to appear. An ajar door, a flutter of a blanket, the movement of a dark figure in the doorway. Iago could feel the weary eyes of the remaining Indios as they watched them from their homes. Many were still afraid of the Spanish and continued to stay within their hovels, unless ordered out by the capitanes or the priest. Along with the natives, the men of the occupying force began stir. Bands of soldiers began to funnel in from neighboring streets and houses onto the boulevard. They were clad in all manners of ragged cloths and armor of cotton, leather, and steel, shuffling like walking corpses as they roamed the streets towards their attended duties. Murmured conversations of Spanish and other languages echoed off the buildings, like whispering ghosts in the early dawn. Besides the Spaniards there were a number of native warriors as well dressed in their simple loincloths and tilmàtli cloaks, gathered in small groups along lines of tribe: Aztecs walked in one group, Tlaxcalans in another, Mayans in the next, and so forth. Despite all of them having agreed to help fight alongside the Spanish, they still held age old grudges with each other, more then once, Iago remembered, they had to break up fights between them, beyond just those between companies, but that was just the way things were.

As they continued to approach the outskirts the geography began to transform around them. There were still many huts and hovels but instead of being clumped together, creating tight corridors and alleyways, they began to break up. Open enclosures, small gardens, animal pens, and other aspects reflecting a more rural lifestyle began to appear. By this time the horizon to the east was a blaze of orange and yellow as the sun had finally broken the sky, and the dark night was being driven back by the dawn. The top of the jungle could be seen in the distance.

“Almost there.”

Town streets were soon replaced by open fields. For as far as the eye could see, empty farm fields stretched off away from town, covered in the crushed stalks of maize that had long been harvested. As the paved road began to turn to dirt again, Jakes, Iago, and Maite were not the only people walking about the countryside. Indios from the surrounding villages were out and about tending to their fields, bringing in what little maize was still left on the stalk. Despite many in the city having fled those who lived in the country stayed, tending to their land and crops and leaving the force alone as much as possible. Men, dressed only in loincloths, and women, in simple dresses, wandered the fields, preparing them for next harvest and collecting the last few stalks. Most did not pay much mind to the two soldiers, having gotten used to seeing the foreigners from across the sea. Only a few looked up from their work to wearily watch Maite as she lumbered by. Iago and Jakes didn’t give them much though, as long as the Indios didn’t mess with them, they wouldn’t mess with the Indios.

“Come on,” Jakes said as he jumped off the raised road across an irrigation ditch that separated a neighboring field from the road.

“We’ll take a shortcut.”

Maite jumped across the ditch in behind him, with Iago following suite. The fallen stalks of maize crunched beneath their feet as they headed across the farm field.

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

The few farmers tilling the soil, scattered before them and didn’t stop till they were well away from them. They watched as they cut through their fields with blank stares, their faces absent of emotion. Whether they were angry, afraid, curious, or altruistic Iago couldn’t tell, nor did he care. As they continued through the fields that looked to be the case as the edge of the jungle came closer and closer to them, like a slow moving wave of dark green. As they neared the edge of civilization the trees were beginning to tower above and Iago sighted a group of soldiers not too far off in the distance.

“That must be them,” he thought, a spring in his step.

The group numbered about thirteen men or so and were all milling about in a area between the fields and the jungle filled with dead trees and stumps, the ground left bare by recent burning. Spaniards and Indios alike stood huddled together in conversation dressed in light amour and wielding bows and hunting spears; ready to embark on a trek in the jungle. Some sat asleep against the stumps.

“Ola!”

Jake shouted to the group, cathcing their attention and waking some of the less asleep members. A some waved back in response while others just continued what they were doing. From one of the groups an Indios stepped out and began to approach them. He was a fairly tall man who stood out from his fellow Indios; wearing a well fashioned esquipil vest covered his chest that came down to his knees and a pair of woven sandals covered his feet. His face and his body could be seen was coarse and rough and visible scars covered his arms and legs. Black hair covered his head reaching down to his shoulders, well-kept and clean compared to the rest of his exterior. Ikal’s ruff, narrow face was left unmarked by such terrible wounds.

“Ikal,” Jakes cried, a wide smile on his face as he approached the native before them.

“Jakes,” Ikal responded happily with just as big of a smile.

The two men embraced each other in friendly welcome.

“Nice for you two to show up," Ikal said,"I was worried you would not be coming.”

“We were worried too,” Jakes replied. "Iago here held us up taking his sweat time in getting ready for this."

“Nice to see you me amigo,” Iago responded, extending his hand out to Ikal while completely ignoring Jakes comments.

Ikal grabbed his hand firmly and squeezed tightly, showing off an impressive amount strength.

"That is no problem, I am just grateful you two could come."

Iago could only smile and nod as he did his best to stop his hand from being crushed while also noting a sly grin on Jakes' face.

“Damn showoff!”

Thankfully the handshake wasn’t very long and he quickly let go before doing any ‘serious damage’.

“Ah I see you brought Maite along,” Ikal happily cried, bending down on one knee to rub his hands though her coat.

“She’ll be a big help,” he said, a big smile on his face showing none of the fear like the Indios in the field towards her.

“Uts, Uts,” replied Ikal, happily giving Maite a nice pat on the head.

He stood up and brushed the dirt from his knees before continuing the conversation.

“Now enough with the pleasantries, with you two here we can finally head out.”

“Si,” both Iago and Jakes said in unison.

“Always straight to the point,” Iago thought.

The three began walking towards the group of men with Maite not far behind them. Ikal let called out orders and waved his hands for the men to assemble.

“Tal! Tal!”

The men slowly started to shamble over to them, a number still visibly tired or half asleep. The composition of the small band was unevenly divided from amongst a number of groups back in town. Now including Iago and Jakes, the group of hunters totaled to fifteen men. Eight, including themselves, came from Argones’ compañia. As they approached, Iago recognized a number of familiar faces in the group.

“Sanchez, Barreiro, Martinez, Carrillo…”

He had a hard time remembering names as he mentally tried to match each face with a name. Three men, who were standing off to the side from the rest, he did not know their names but had seen them often times around town.

“Must be from Ortega’s compañia,” he thought.

Iago and his compañia shared the town with another compañia under command by a Capitan Ortega. They hadn’t The last four men, including Ikal, were Indios. All of them were Mayan, with marks across their face and bodies showing they were from the same tribe, except for one. Standing off to one side was a lone Indio, who lacked the tribal markings of the others. He was semi well dressed in cotton vest and woven sandals. In his arms he carried a number of hunting spears and quivers full of arrows. His skin was unmarked and smooth with no visible signs of any wear or tear. His head was bowed towards the ground upon which was a young round face and well-kept black hair. He looked to be no more than twelve or thirteen years of age and lacked any sort of markings to tell which tribe or what group he was from. Iago was confused as to why this young native was with them since he clearly had no obvious comrades with him.

As the group of hunters began to form a human circle around Ikal, Jakes and another hunter stepped into the ring to take up positions beside him. The other man was one of the three men from Ortega’ group. He was a tall fellow with red hoses and a chainmail coat over his torso that reached down little bellow his waist and covered his arms to the elbows. Leather boots, which came up to his knees, covered his feet while a morion helm topped the mess of rustic colored hair on his head. His face was thin with faint stubble over his lip and chin. An arming sword hung from his belt, as well as a quiver of arrows. In his hand was a short bow of the design used back in Europe. Hanging from his shoulder was another one of those rope straps with a clay horn attached to it. He watched as the man calmly took a place beside Jakes who took up position next to Ikal. Maite took a seating position behind Jakes, looking all over at the men gathering around her. While this was going on, Iago, not knowing what to do, decided to take a place amongst the hunters becoming a link in the human circle. After enough men had rallied around, Ikal patted Jakes shoulder as if a signal for him to speak.

“All right…”

Jakes clasped his hands together making a loud clapping sound which ringed through the air.

“…caballeros…”

He looked a little nervous trying to speak to the men surrounding him.

“First I wish to apologize for not being here earlier. I know that many of you have been up a lot longer than me and all I have done is take up more of your time.”

A number of the men nodded as his statement, or were just drowsy, it was really hard to tell. Most just stood there in the circle, trying to give him the upmost attention.

“There is no good reason for me being late as I am other then there were some ‘things’ that I needed to finish up.”

“Nice to see him leaving me out of this,” Iago though, feeling a hint of gratitude.

“Now that I am here though,” he continued,” we can get started.”

A number of the men gave some grunts and other simple responses to that finally comment in recognition. During Jakes talk, Ikal was relaying what Jakes was saying in Mayan to the few Indios among the group so they could understand. This caused Iago to catch eye of the lone Indio again. He still kept his distance from everyone, not too far away but enough to be noticeable. His head was still bowed as if he was contemplating something as he just shuffled about outside of the circle of hunters.

“Who is he?”

Iago’s attention quickly turned back to the men inside the circle.

“Most of you already know what we are doing today,” continued Jakes as he began to pace about inside the circle,” but since there are a few new members…”

Iago couldn’t help but catch Jakes’ eyes fall upon as he said that.

“…it wouldn’t hurt to go over them once again.”

There was a bunch of grumbling when he said this, as the men were obviously upset. Iago felt slightly uncomfortable as he knew this was all because of him. This was quickly silenced as Jakes gave the men who grumbled a stern glare.

“Keeping this SHORT…” began an irritated Jakes,”…awhile back we set up some traps in the jungle along some old hunting paths, that Ikal and his companions were more than happy to show us.”

He waved his hand toward Ikal in recognition who gave a slight bow. As he told the Mayan in the group a number of them smiled at the gesture.

“That was a couple of days ago, since then no doubt they have captured some wild game for us to kill and bring back to town.”

Iago payed close attention as Jakes began to explain, or re-explain, the plan to everyone.

“Now all these traps are spread throughout the area.”

He stopped his pacing and pointed his hand towards the jungle’s edge moving it left and right.

“To cover such a wide space, were are separating into three groups.”

He held up three of his fingers to show everyone the number.

“Those groups will be lead my Senior Ikal…”

He dropped one finger to make it two. As he said his name, Ikal nodded his headed.

“…Senior Zarraga…”

Another finger dropped so there was only one left. The unknown third man of the group with the bow nodded his head.

“…and myself.”

The last finger dropped finishing his role call.

“Now all of you know which groups you are in and where you are going. Ikal’s group will take the eastern path along the sinkhole, Zarraga’s group will take the southern path along the creek, while my group will take the far western path through the sabana.”

As he ran down through each direction he pointed to a specific spot along the jungle’s edge. Iago recognized the landmarks that he was talking about. The Mayan town they occupied rested right at the edge of the Yucatan with the neighboring region of Petén. This was where civilization meet the wilderness as there was nothing beyond the town except for jungle for miles to the south. While scouting the area they came across a number of natural features which help them navigate this sea of green. To the southeast was one of many sinkholes that was a common sight throughout the Yucatan. Giant holes in the ground that often appear and drag everything around it down into its hellish deps. Ikal had told them once that the Mayan considered these places gateways to the underworld and would throw human sacrifices into the endless abyss to appease the demons that dwelt there. Iago did not doubt the Indios would do such a thing, having himself looked down into one of the holes himself. To the south was a small creek which ran through the jungle. The flow of water cut a path through jungle, having washed away the rock to form a narrow path which one could easily trod. Often they used it and its estuaries to better get around the area. To the southwest was a series of wide open treeless plains that were devoid of the thick jungle foliage. They were more common along the coast then in the hinterland but they often showed up now and then while trekking through the region. Iago always preferred to walk through them then the thick jungle which was no wonder that they were a common stomping for those seeking to get away from the confines of camp.

Iago’s daydreaming was interrupted by the sudden realization that Jakes still had more to say.

“Now,” continued the Basque,” there are still some rebel bárbaros still running about out there…”

The mere mention of the word ‘bárbaros’ sent a wave of jeers through some of the men.

“Settle down caballeros, settle down,” said Jakes, waving his arms till the jeering died down.

“Since there are still a bunch of them damn bastards running around we are taking some precautions so as none of us end up as the next heartless corps on some forsaken stone slab like a gutted pig.”

He pointed his arm towards the jungle again.

“All the paths are less than ear shot from each other so if any one group happens to stumble upon some bárbaros, your party leaders will take these…”

Jakes grabbed the clay horn that hung from his shoulder from the beginning and held it up high for all to see. Ikal and Zarraga grabbed the horns they were wearing and held them up alongside Jakes so that the men could also see them as well.

“…just one good blow into one of these and the rest of us will come running.”

All three dropped their horns and let them rest back in their original states.

“So that’s what those things are for.”

“Now if there is the slightest chance that any of you run into the entire rebel army…”

Some of the men snickered amusingly at Jakes’ comment, including Iago.

“He, he, he…”

“…and you can’t hold your ground then try to make a break back to town or toward the rallying point at the old ruins.”

A shiver went down Iago’s spine at the mention of the place.

“The old ruins…”

He thought back to when they accidently stumbled upon those old piles of rocks deep in the jungle to the south. It wasn’t like they meant to find that place to begin with, some sod had stumbled upon it while taking a leak or something during a patrol. Not far to the south, off a ways from the creek, was a series of giant stone structures of a civilization lost to the jungle. They were no different than the temples and other stone buildings of the Mayan cities, but much, much older. A lot like the Roman Empire of the past, there was once a great civilization that existed in the jungles that the Mayan and others frequently mention. They used to be great sprawling cities, almost the size of Mexico City, which once spanned the jungles, ruled by powerful kings that could rival even King Charles himself. The Mayan looked back on this time as a time of greatness and prosperity. He once asked Ikal what happened for such powerful cities to fall into ruin but he could not tell him, only that one could find what little was left in the jungle. The old ruins had been so overgrown that it was hard to tell what they used to be, and the darkness of the jungle made him feel uneasy whenever he ventured there. He really shouldn’t be feeling this way about a bunch of stupid old rocks but he did. There was just something…off about them, and he couldn’t put his finger on it.

“Really? That’s the rally point? You couldn’t have picked a better place?”

While muddled up in his own thoughts, Jakes finished up his little spiel.

“Well that seems to be everything, so I won’t hold you gentleman up any longer.”

He clasped his hands cheerfully together making a clap sound catching the attention of some men who had dozed.

“Let’s get this started shall we?”

The circle dissolved upon hearing those words, sounds of relief and mixed with the sounds of grumbling and drowsy men. Ikal, Jakes, and the man named Zarraga turned and shook hands one last time before walking off to join their groups. Ikal headed off to the right end of the field, the three Mayan warriors and one man from their compañia, following suit. As he walked off Iago saw him take an extra hunting bow that one of his warriors were holding, as well as a quiver pf arrows as they marched toward the southeast. The man named Zarraga walked directly to the edge of the jungle where the two other men form Ortega’s compañia were waiting for him, the young Indio boy following behind. Jakes walked towards the left side of the field towards the southwest corner with the rest of the men form their compañia. He was happily talking with the other men, with Maite bounding behind him. He too took an extra bow quiver full of arrows from one of the other hunters were carrying. Iago just stood watching everyone head off, confused as what he was to do. He kept looking back and forth at all three groups as they moved farther away, except for Zarraga’s, confusion all over his face.

“What am I supposed to do?”

Iago, seeking answers, followed after Jakes. He fast walked to catch up to the group before they moved to far away. Once he was close enough he called out to them.

“Jakes!”

Jakes turned toward Iago at the call of his name, his bow and quiver slung over his shoulder. He stopped while everyone else kept on moving toward the field corner, except for Maite who stood at his side.

“What is it,” Jakes asked puzzled as Iago ran up to him.

“I was…uh…wondering which...um…”

Iago badly relayed to Jakes his predicament, pointing in the direction of the other groups. Jakes was slightly bewildered at Iago’s gestures but eventually understood.

“Oh!”

He slapped his hand against his forehead in eureka.

“Siento, I didn’t tell you which group you are with.”

“Kind of a big problem!”

“You’re with Senior Zarraga’s group, over there.”

He pointed over to where Zarraga and his men were still standing next to the jungle’s edge. Thankfully, they had yet to trek off into the jungle and were doing some last minute equipment check.

“Alright…,” said Iago unconfidently.

There was some hesitation in his voice as he watched the Zarraga and his men test the torque of their bows and sharpness of heir spears.

“I don’t know any of these guys.”

They were complete strangers to him and that was the problem. Now he wasn’t against meeting new people, he wouldn’t have meet men like Jakes or Antoni without putting himself out there, nor was he upset about working with them, comes with the job. He had worked with complete strangers before on various tasks, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t all that happy. Trust was a very important thing out here and you don’t have the luxury of picking who you fight and work with. Compañias try their best to create that trust, but soldiers come and go as they please. It was especially difficult when more than one group share the same region, as then they start being suspicious of the other if anything bad happens. You don’t know if the man you are working with will be a good comrade and help you, or back stab you when in dire straits to save their own skin. He meet both types of people and hated the later. Jakes had caught his hesitation and placed his hand on his shoulder.

“Don’t worry,” he said, trying to assure his friend,” I’ve worked with him before. He is not the best man in the world but as long as you have his back, he’ll have yours.”

“If you say so,” responded a still unsure Iago.

“Jakes! Come on!”

One of the other men from his group called out to Jakes as they were well a ways from the two. Jakes gave one last reassuring pat on the shoulder to Iago.

“Te veo luego mi amigo,” he cried as he ran off to join the others, Maite bounding behind.

Iago watched as he rejoined with the group, giving a wave to him as they headed off down the jungle’s edge. Jakes comment had helped lower his concern a bit, but not much. He waved back in response before looked back over to Zarraga and his men who were still checking their equipment.

“Well if Jakes says he’s alright…”

He began to walk over to the group of men, dragging his feet a little through the barren dirt. As he approached they all took notice at the lone soldier approaching him.

“Can I help you senior?”

The man he wanted to talk to, Zarraga, called out to him as he approached. He had been hunched over checking his bow but stood himself to his tallest extent up to greet the stranger. Iago was put off by Zarraga’s height but did not show it. Zarraga and the two other men looked on with apprehension as he approached, except for the Indio boy who just gave him a blank stare.

“Um…,” Iago did his best to not be intimidated by the men before him.

“Senior Zarraga?”

“Si,” responded the hunter, who had his eyebrow raised in curiosity.

“Jakes, or Senior Elizondo, told me that I’ll be working with you.”

Zarraga looked him up and down as Iago confidently held his head high, trying to match Zarraga’s stature.

“You were the man that arrived with him this morning, si?”

“Si senior,” confidently responded Iago.

“Are you a friend of his,” asked Zarraga, looking him over one more time.

“Si senior,” responded Iago, still holding himself before the tall caballero.

“He told me you were a good friend as well,” Iago wittingly added.

Zarraga was surprised by the change in tone.

“I didn’t overdo it did I?”

Iago’s question was answered as Zarraga’s look of surprise turned to a smile.

“Well I am a good friend,” he said happily,” and if you’re a friend of Jakes then you’re a friend of mine.”

Zarraga held his hand out for a handshake. Iago wasn’t as happy with him as of yet but confidently held his hand out to shake his. The two men grasped each other’s hands firmly and shook them in welcome.

“Maybe he is not as bad as I thought,” though Iago.

Iago broke the stern demeanor he held and smiled as the two men shook hands. After a few second both meet let lose their grip and let their hands fall to their sides.

“You already seem to know my name but I don’t know yours,” said Zarraga rubbing the stubble on his chin.

“Reyes, senior,” responded Iago, tipping his helm,” but you can call me Iago.”

“Nos reuniremos, Senior Reyes.”

He gave a slight bow of curtesy. Standing back up from his bow he walked back over to the other three men, waving for Iago to come.

“Let me introduce you to the others,” he said.

They walked over to the two men standing off to the side. The two hunters no longer looked apprehensive as they were before, while the Indio boy looked at him with a hint of curiosity. The two men were both dressed in leather cuerras and wore cabassets. One was very skinny, enough where his red camisa hung very lose from his body. He was armed with a simple hunting spear and had a very thin face, with a big nose that protruded from it. He was clean and well kept, except for a few strands of sandy colored hair that protruded from his helm. The other was fairly normal as in size and high all except for a nasty scar that crossed his face. Despite a thick grey-black beard trying to cover it up it was hard not to look at it. The scar traveled form his upper right eyebrow across the bridge of his nose, down to his left cheek. His face was a big disfigured mess of flesh that still kept some semblance of a normal face. A quiver of arrows and a bow were strapped to his back.

“This,” began Zarraga, “is Senior Alegria…”

He pointed his hand toward the tall man with the big nose.

“Pleasure to me you,” said Alegria in a soft-spoken voice.

He extended his slim hand for Iago to shake, which he did so happily.

“Saludos senior,” responded Iago, with a smile on his face.

“…and this…,” continued Zarraga, moving on to the man with the scar,”…is Senior Trevino.”

‘Buenos días,” said Trevino in a gruff voice as he gave him a smile, or something of a smile as most of his teeth were just as disfigured as his face.

“What in god’s name happened to him?”

Trevino held his hand out, which was ruff and crinkled, like old leather.

“Buenos días…,” responded Iago trying his best not to look at the scar as he shook the man’s hand.

Trevino firmly gripped his hand and held it for a little longer then it was comfortable. Iago did his best not to be uncivil about it but only with a gleaming glare from Zarraga was he able to free his hand. Zarraga then turned to Trevino and Alegria.

“And this is Senior Reyes,” he said, pointing his hand towards Iago. Iago gave an offhanded wave.

“He is a good friend of Jakes and will be helping us out while on this expedition.”

It was about this time that Iago noticed again the Indio boy, standing off behind the three men. He still had the bundle of spears and arrows in his arms and wasn’t paying any attention to them. His sole concentration was on a small rock he was playing around with his feet. Zarraga had not introduced Iago to the boy, yet no doubt he will be coming with us. Curious he approached from behind Zarraga and poked his shoulder. Zarraga turned around and looked at him with some confusion.

“Si?”

“Who’s your amigo over there?”

Iago nodded over towards the boy who was still playing with the rock. Zarraga looked over at the boy and chuckled upon seeing who it was.

“Ah,” he said in surprise.

“His name is Daniel, he’s my personal servant.”

Zarraga waved his hand nonchalantly as he told Iago.

“Oh,” responded Iago, surprise in his voice.

“Oh…”

“I brought him with me from my hacienda back in Cholula. He’ll be helping us carry our extra equipment and whatever we catch back to camp.”

Iago continued to stare at the boy who was still fiddling with the rock at his feet, oblivious to the world around him.

“Actually I’m glad you mentioned him...”

“Huh?”

Iago had dazed out thinking about the boy, unintentionally ignoring Zarraga as he spoke

“You’re not thinking about going out into the jungle with just a sword and dagger are you,” asked Zarraga.

He pointed to Iago’s belt where his dagger and sword hung from. Iago caught on to what he meant, referring to his lack of actually anything to hunt with.

“No, no,” responded Iago,” Jakes told me to just bring the basic and that we’ll get what we needed when we arrived.”

“Alright,”

Zarraga nodded his head in acknowledgment

“Then to answer my next question are you an archer or more of a spearmen?”

“I’m pretty good with both but I’ll take the spear,” replied Iago.

“Bueno,” said Zarraga.

He turned and shouted out to the Indio boy.

“Daniel!”

The boy quickly looked up from the rock he was playing at the call of his name. Upon seeing Zarraga looking at him, he stopped what he was doing and came running as fast as he could over to them. The spears and arrows in his arms clicking and clanking all the way. The boy stopped before them and quickly stood at attention, while also balancing the jumble of equipment in his arms.

“Si Senior,” the young boy asked in a young high-pitched voice.

Zarraga was a giant compared to the boy as he looked down upon the Indio. Despite his height, Daniel stood tall as he could, his face forward and at attention, like a well drilled soldier.

“Daniel,” commanded Zarraga, his voice filled with authority,” I want you to give Senior Reyes here the best spear we have. Can you do that?”

“Si Senior,” responded the boy, who began to juggle around the pile of weapons in his arms looking for the best spear out of the bunch.

“You don’t really have to give me the best,” said Iago uncomfortably to Zarraga.

He really didn’t want to go through all the hassle.

“I insist,” responded Zarraga to him,” the last thing I would want is for you to have a bad spear.”

The two watched as the boy continued to juggle through the pile of stuff in his arms, trying not to drop it. Iago could see that Zarraga was beginning to get impatient with the boy the longer it took him.

“Here Senior,” cried the boy.

From the bundle Daniel pulled a sturdy looking short spear and held it out toward Zarraga. Zarraga swiftly grabbed the spear from the young boy and held it in his hand.

“Good job Daniel,” he said to the boy, as he inspected the spear in his procession.

The young boy gave a small nod before standing at attention again.

“Here you go Iago,” he turned and handed the spear to Iago who took it from him hesitantly.

“Gracias.”

He looked at the spear in his hands. It wasn’t that bad of a spear actually, the wood was well sharpened, the metal spear head at the top was nice and sharp, and it was fairly well balanced.

“Not bad niño.”

He looked at the boy who was still at attention and gave a small nod to him. Daniel took notice and a small grin came on his face. It quickly disappeared as Zarraga turned back to the boy.

“Daniel, go on over to the others, were about to head out.”

“Si Senior,” responded the boy as he quickly head over to Alegria and Trevino who were talking amongst themselves.

“You ready Iago,” asked Zarraga as he turned to him, bow in hand.

Iago gave one good beat into the ground with the blunt end of the spear

“Si!”

“Bueno,” cried Zarraga happily

He nodded for him to follow as he turned toward the group.

“Se estaban mudando,” he shouted.

The two men and the boy parted before Zarraga as he stepped passed them and towards the jungle, falling in a column behind him. Iago followed suit as the group began to head into the jungle. Beginning first with Zarraga, one by one they disappeared into the green foliage. Soon everyone except Iago had entered its green confines. Before taking one more step he stopped and looked up at the trees which towered high above him.

“To boldly go…,” he said to himself as he took his final step and entered the dark green abyss.

Comments ( 13 )

Finally a new chapter comes out.

This is what I felt like saying throughout this chapter.

"Padding, padding, padding. Padding, padding, padding. Oh look! A tree, that's different!"

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Alright, I'll say that I like your approach but you give too much information and make it very boring in some parts that should be interesting. I'll explain:

The history behind the town, the rebels, the different companies, all of that, its good information that would enrich the story but you're giving it all in one go and that much information just make it hard to embrace. We don't need to know about the rebels or the soldiers sacking the heretic town but you can save that information for another occasion (like a retelling of what happened there by the words of either Iago or Jakes to someone else) so you can get to the point faster.

Now, the description of every character is only necessary if they're going to be an important part to the story, the more description the more important it will be, so I don't mind it that much.

Something else done right, the information about the old ruins, the sinkholes, the plains, the indios working, that sounds good.

If you want to get a better idea of how to work this kind of stories, I recommend you reading "El Camino de El Dorado" by Arturo Uslar Pietri, which describes a Spanish journey in search of El Dorado, which begins in Perú and ends in Venezuela. IT has a slow start but, once it gets interesting, you cannot put it down.

Otherwise, I really hope you keep on doing this, because you're writing something that isn't written very often in general.

8643140
I appreciate the constructive criticism, this chapter was a lot harder for me then the first as I felt I had to build up the Conquistador world more then the Equestrian one. When writing I was greatly concerned about trying to not tell everything in one go, to leave things open for later, and, as you made mention, make it interesting. I've already went back and changed some things before seeing this, and no doubt I will change more after this comment (this is a rough draft after all and not the finished product).

8643450

You welcome, I wish the best for you.

Guess we'll be expecting monthly updates. No matter. I don't really come to this site for much else anyway anymore.

Yeah, this story might as well be dead.

8797352
Have patience, its not dead yet.

Ok, you can not honestly say this isn't dead anymore. Well, at least I can be happy to have been one of the few to have read the entirety of Chapter 2 before you cut out 1/4 of it for some reason...

Been nearly 4 months since my last comment. Any updates?

Login or register to comment