• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 1,155 Views, 29 Comments

As Hard As Velvet - Stormbringer



Princess Twilight Sparkle is amazed at the revelations of her mother’s past loves and career. Do we really know who our parents were?

  • ...
4
 29
 1,155

CHAPTER THREE: The New Life Continues

Three Intense Moons Later…

Princess Celestia had finished speaking to the graduating class. The commissions had all been handed out except for one.

“And finally,” said Princess Celestia, “the final graduate is the Cadet CO, Twilight Velvet. She graduates with zero demerits and perfect test scores. She’d been my protégée and I, along with her family are so very proud of the pony before us.

LTC Dream Walker…”

“Front and center cadet,” called out the Ψ officer.

Twilight marched sharply to the officer and saluted. She was already wearing the two pips of 1st. Lieutenant, a step above the rest of the graduating officer class. A certificate was levitated to Twilight.

‘Thank you ma’am,’ thought Twilight.

‘It was my pleasure, you’ll make Special Ψ Unit proud.’ Thought Dream Walker. ‘You’ve made me so very proud, Twilight.’

It was the first time the senior pony used her first name, Twilight thought she’d take a chance.

‘It really makes me happy to hear that… Dream.’

The LTC nodded slightly and smiled a warm smile.

“It’s my pleasure to present the commission of 1st. Lieutenant. And the Royal Guard Achievement Medal for your perfect performance in training.” Said Dream Walker, pinning a medal on Twilight’s jacket. They saluted each other and then Twilight returned to the head of the formation.

“Company,” commanded D I Jack. “Pass and review!”

The military band commenced a march tune and the company marched in front of the reviewing stand, then off the field and back to the barracks.

Twilight had, that morning, packed all her things in her bag and retrieved it from her room. Her orders assigned her to the 1st Special Ψ Unit at Canterlot Castle.

As she exited the barracks, D I Jack was there. It’s a military custom that the first enlisted pony to salute a new officer would be given a silver bit.

As Twilight approached, he snapped to attention and rendered a sharp salute.

Twilight returned the salute and levitated a gold bit to the sergeant.

“Thank you D I Jack, for everything,” said Twilight who surprised the SFC and hugged him.

“You’re very welcome, Lieutenant,” said the D I and then with a smirk. “And thank you for not scrambling my brain. Although my wife might argue that you would’ve been too late.

Make me and Equestria proud, Lt. Velvet.”

The two laughed and went their own way.


Twilight had a week’s leave before reporting to her new unit.


After the years at C.S.G.U and her military boot camp, Canterlot Castle felt like home. As the train pulled into the station in the shadow of the magnificent Castle, Twilight breathed a deep sigh. She collected her duffle bag and went to the Castle. She made the familiar trek to the Throne Room. Once there, Twilight saw the princess. In spite of protocol, she rushed in and hugged Celestia.

“Twilight!” said the princess excitedly and returning the hug, “my faithful student!”

Then Twilight remembered herself, after all, she was in uniform. The two guards on either side of the dais smirked. Twilight backed down two steps.

“Sorry, Your Highness,” said Twilight with a grin and saluted, “Lieutenant Velvet reporting.”

Celestia chuckled.

“There was a time, when my sister was still here, she’d forget herself and show emotion. In spite of her always using formal speech patterns and the Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice. I actually think she just liked to yell at ponies.”

“She would’ve gotten along well with D I Jack,” snickered Twilight, the princess smiled, “I wish I could’ve met her.”

“Perhaps one day,” said Celestia sadly, “maybe one day somepony will come along and will be able to bring her back.”

“I hope that too, princess.”

“In spite of this happy ‘homecoming’, I think you have to check in with the Ψ unit. General Moon Light is most eager to meet you. I took the liberty of talking about you to him. Don’t worry, I made sure to mention that there should be no special treatment for my star student and protégée.”

“Thank you, princess, I’ll make you proud.”

“You already have,” said the princess with a warm smile.


Twilight was walking to the wing of the castle designated for the Ψ unit. At the opening to the passageway to the unit was a sign:

Official Ψ Ponies Only

Twilight smiled thinking she was an ‘Official Ψ Pony’. There were plenty of ponies in and out of offices. Most would smile and nod to her. But Twilight was starting to be puzzled. There were none in uniform. This alone made her feel like she was standing out worse than in boot camp. However, she could feel mental activity all around her. An occasional probe, but nothing too deep was attempted, more like checking identity or saying hello.

Soon enough she made it to the Ψ unit office. Here were the first ponies in uniform Twilight had seen in this section of the castle.

There at a desk was an enlisted Ψ agent. He stood, came to attention and saluted.

Twilight returned the salute.

“I assume you’re Lt. Velvet, ma’am.”

“That’s right Corporal, I’m here to report to General Moon Light.”

“He’s expecting you, go right in.”

“Thank you Corporal, carry on.”

The Non Com saluted, Twilight returned the salute then walked to the inner office door as the Corporal returned to work.

Twilight used her magic to straighten her uniform. She did want to make a good impression. She wasn’t intimidated as other junior officers might have been having to report to such a senior officer. After all, she’d spent most of her school years living with and instructed by the ruling princess.

Twilight knocked on the door.

“Come!” was the voice from inside.

Twilight entered the office, closed the door and walked in front of the General’s desk. She then rendered a salute.

“1st Lt. Twilight Velvet reporting for duty, sir!”

The General looked up and smiled. He returned the salute in the casual way senior officers do who have saluted most of their lives and now have nopony to impress.

“At ease Lt. have a seat.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Would you mind if we ‘Ψ speak’?”

‘Not at all, sir,’ said Twilight in her mind.

Ψ speak is the way Ψ agents communicate, especially if they want to keep it confidential.

‘Lt.’ thought the General, ‘I’ve heard a lot of good things about you. You should’ve heard how the princess went on about you. We’re expecting good things from you.’

‘Thank you, sir. I’ll do my best.’

‘We have no doubt you will, Lt. Okay, down to business,’ thought the General, ‘first things first. Unless it’s an official function or you get assigned to an office, which would be a total waste of your talents, you’ll not be wearing the uniform.’

Twilight had an odd look on her face, the General could feel the slight confusion.

‘Soldier, when we work, we work clandestine and try not to bring attention to ourselves. You can’t be covert and wear such a smart and attractive uniform. You’d kind of stand out.’

‘Understood, sir.’ Thought Twilight with a chuckle.

‘Now as to your duties. You’ll be assigned to a senior officer, the two of you will work as a team or will lead squads on missions. Normally, the senior officer would be chosen by roster rotation. But there’s an officer that’s requested to work with you.’

The General looked to the door and called out;

“Come on in please.”

A very familiar pony entered the room.

“Lieutenant Colonel Dream Walker!” said Twilight excitedly.

‘The Colonel requested to work with you,’ thought the General. ‘Apparently, she was impressed with your talents. I find that encouraging, I’ve found her a hard officer to please.’

‘I’ve found that out the hard way,’ thought Velvet with an audible chuckle. Dream Walker smiled.

‘General,’ thought Dream Walker, ‘thank you for this opportunity. I’m sure when I’m done with her, she’ll be a most apt Ψ officer.’

‘I’m sure you will,’ thought the general with an odd inflection.

“Come with me, Lieutenant.” Said the senior officer.

“Yes ma’am,” replied Twilight.


Twilight stood, she and Dream Walker saluted the General and departed. They could hear the General chuckle as the door closed.

Twilight didn’t have to be told to follow the LTC. They went up several levels. Twilight was curious when they passed the floor that was the junior officer billets and continued up to the senior officer rooms. Then down a hall to a nondescript door.

They opened a door that had a plaque reading:

Lieutenant Colonel Dream Walker

Senior Training Officer

1st. Special Ψ Unit

The two entered, the door closed. Twilight thought that despite this being a suite of rooms for a career soldier, it was quite feminine and homey.

Dream Walker looked her new assistant over, with more than professional interest.

“Velvet, I can take you to the room assigned to you or…”

Dream Walker didn’t get to finish. Twilight knew where this was going so she launched herself at the older mare, kissing her deeply.

No other words were spoken. With their Ψ abilities, words were not needed, even telepathically. It was all pure shared emotions.

Their emotions mixed in each other’s mind. It was a level of passion and intimacy that non-Ψ ponies never get to experience.

Both officers would have normally removed and put away their uniforms neatly. But their uniforms fell to the floor in a mixed pile as the two stumbled to the bedroom, trying to walk and kiss at the same time.


A couple hours later, Dream was on her back and Twilight was holding her close with her head resting on Dream’s shoulder. Her free hoof stroking the fine coat of the dark blue mare’s belly, occasionally down to her nipples.

“Colonel…” started Twilight.

“Dream,” said Dream Walker. “In here and in non-work or clandestine situations, just Dream. I don’t want my potential marefriend and partner to think she has to salute me in bed. That’s if this arrangement will be alright with you.”

Twilight looked up and kissed Dream Walker a small but honest kiss.

“Dream,” said Twilight, “I’ve wanted to do this since the second month of boot camp, It was so hard to concentrate on your lessons at times.”

“I can feel that this was your first time,” said Dream. “I’m honored.”

“Yes it was,” said Twilight, “and I’m glad it was with you.”

Twilight kissed Dream again.

“Truthfully Twilight,” said Dream, “I’ve wanted this as well. If we continue this, will you be able to take orders outside our rooms?”

Twilight caught the inflection on our.

“Yes ma’am!” said Twilight with a snicker, “command me, Colonel!”

“Lieutenant,” said Dream Walker, sounding commanding, “I must test your endurance with more close order drill.”

“Understood, Ma’am!” Said Twilight as she turned herself to Dream’s marehood.