• Published 9th Nov 2017
  • 5,936 Views, 76 Comments

Just for a Night - Shortmane



Tempest Shadow should be languishing in a prison cell, waiting for her punishment. Instead Twilight asks if she’d like to sleep with her- just for the night. This friendship thing might be more confusing than she thought.

  • ...
7
 76
 5,936

Bonus Chapter

“Considering all that's happened, this festival has been quite the success. Very well done, if I do say so myself,” Rarity said as she walked close beside Applejack through the dark streets of Canterlot.

“Honestly, I’m just glad it’s over. It’ll be nice going back to the farm and letting things cool down a bit.”

"That does sound good," Fluttershy said with a yawn. "Um, where do we go next?"

“We're gonna turn right up ahead near that lamp- I mean left,” Spike called out from where he perched on Fluttershy’s back. “Then we just go up these stairs. If you want you can just drop me off, I can walk the rest of the way myself.”

“It’s fine, Spike. We don’t mind walking with you,” Fluttershy said, smiling back at him as the three ponies turned towards the elegant spiraling staircase.

Halfway up, Rarity paused on the steps as Pinkie Pie's voice sang out clear and loud on the mike, as the electronic dance music continued its steady beat.

“Really, I don’t know where she gets so much energy from."

“Same with Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said. “She’s still partying with the pirate crew. Glad those two are sharing a room.”

“Knowing Rainbow Dash, she’ll pass out as soon as she gets back to her room,” Fluttershy said with a little sound somewhere between a sigh and a giggle as they came to the top landing.

“Here we are, home sweet home," Rarity said as Spike hopped down from Fluttershy's back.

“Thanks! And Applejack, don’t forget you’re helping with pancakes in the morning.”

“You bet!” Applejack said with a grin.

“Actually, Spike,” Fluttershy said, crouching down towards him. “Could you do us a favor and check to make sure Twilight is ok.”

“Good idea,” Rarity said. “She did disappear earlier at the party. Poor thing, she’s had quite a stressful day.”

“Sure thing, just give me one sec,” Spike said, slipping through the door and gazing around, before popping his head back. “Yep, I see her. All good! Although, huh…”

“What?”

“Something looked funny... wait here,” he said and went into the room, leaving the three ponies outside waiting.

“I hope she’s all right,” Fluttershy said. “What if she’s crying? Or if she’s still upset?”

“She’s probably just too pooped out to spend the whole night partying. Not all of us can be Pinkie Pie.”

“Ooh, Spike!” Fluttershy said in a hushed voice as he stepped back through the door with a strange look on his face. “Was everything ok? She isn’t still upset, right?”

“No, nothing like that. It’s just that, um, Twilight has a guest over and I don’t really know what to do.”

“A guest?” Rarity repeated and looked to the others who were just as confused.

“Is it Cadence?” Fluttershy asked.

“Her old pal Moondancer?” Applejack said.

“Oh! Do you mean a coltfriend?” Rarity said, prancing in place with a broad grin.

“You, uh, might want to take a look for yourselves...”

They snuck into the moonlit room, meandering through papers and furniture until they came to the bed and Rarity had to shove her hoof to her mouth to prevent a squeal of delight, which then fizzled to a strange questioning, ‘urrhm?’

Twilight Sparkle was in her bed sound asleep, and curled around her was Tempest Shadow.

“What do we do?” Spike whispered.

There were vague noncommittal noises and a nervous scuffing of hooves.

"I have so many questions," Applejack said.

Then Tempest flicked her bright eyes open and all of them visibly stiffened, Fluttershy almost squeaking in alarm. But the dark purple pony didn’t move an inch, just blinked and looked up at them. They gaped back, standing frozen as if painted in a tableau. Twilight shifted with a faint sigh and everyone looked to her, but she didn’t wake, merely curled closer to the other pony.

Tempest glanced at her from the corner of her eye, and her features softened almost imperceptibly. Then her sharp green eyes lifted to the group as before, wordlessly asking what they might do. Or perhaps silently daring them to just try and do something.

No one moved as a nearby clock counted out the time. Then Applejack took a deep breath and leaned backward, and the others looked to see what she might do. She met Tempest gaze for gaze, and after a pause she smiled at her. Then she looked to her friends and gave a slight toss of her head towards the door before stepping away. The other ponies soon followed, Fluttershy flitting to the door with both hooves clasped over a broad smile.

That only left a little purple dragon standing before Tempest with a furrowed brow. Then he jabbed a claw at her.

“You do anything to hurt her and you deal with me, got it?”

Tempest stared, then gave a vague hint of a nod. Spike hesitated, the angry glare replaced with a confused frown.

“Come along, Spike, let’s give them some peace,” Rarity said softly, shepherding him towards the door. “You can stay with us for the night.”

But before she left, the white unicorn paused and looked back at Tempest, meeting her eyes and seemed to be examining her. Then she smiled and gave a short nod before closing the door softly behind her.

Once again they were alone in the dark room, and Tempest let her shoulders relax as she watched the door for a few extra moments, but it stayed firmly shut. Tempest thought she might have heard a noise that sounded like 'squee' but wasn't sure what that actually meant. Twilight sighed beside her, stretching out a leg. She was smiling, even in sleep.

Tempest leaned forward and gently nuzzled against her forehead. Then she heard a faint hum as Twilight snuggled closer.

“Mmm, night Tempest.”

She paused and stared as the smaller pony stilled, then began to snore. Tempest smiled, and lay her head down.

“Good night, Twilight.”

Author's Note:

Friendship is a weird and funny thing...
Just wanted to write a little extra scene, mostly so we know where Spike goes to sleep for the night (and I just think their reactions would be pretty funny). I imagine they wouldn't be used to Twilight being so snuggly- much less Tempest.

Thanks again for reading! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 43 )

This is such a nice friend-shipping fic, awesome to see something with Twilight and Tempest that's not romance lol

Really adorable whole story and this shows some good reactions for her friends. There is one little nitpick I'm sure tons of people will point out, maybe fix it before others notice but...
(Tempest)

She paused and stared as the smaller unicorn stilled, then began to snore. Tempest smiled, and lay her head down.

Shouldn't that be Alicorn, instead of unicorn?

8542518
Glad you enjoyed it!
When I wrote this I wanted these two characters to begin exploring their tentative relationship, and I thought it could theoretically lead to friendship or romance, but it definitely starts as friendship (any further at this point and it would have been cliche and rushed, as you said). And much more importantly, it's not what this story is about. You nailed it on the head, that this is about Tempest realizing what she has done and beginning to open up and trust others again, and it's a pretty strange and scary process. I love exploring who Tempest is as a character, and having her interact with Twilight is just so fascinating, for many reasons.
(hopefully I got across... whatever it is I'm trying to say, haha)
Thanks!! :twilightsmile:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate it when a story uses "character should be in prison" as the basis for its plot. Each and every time I see one that does it, the author has completely ignored the fact that ponies just don't do things like that.

Heck, there was one that had Twilight bring charges against Starlight after reforming her. Charges included the starting of a brainwashing cult, completely ignoring what Twilight did in Lesson Zero.

8543963
It's because while ponies/princesses don't usually do things like that, ponies think that they do. So enjoy the delightful contradiction of ponies never being banished and then thrown in a dungeon in the place that they are banished to.

8543963

Because with fanfics we have a chance to add a little more gravitas and realism to the world than a show made for little girls where everything is perfect after an apology and everyone is considered fundamentally good except for the ones who are exploded.

A security threat like a pony who can take down the nigh demigods of the nation, leaving it leaderless and ready to sell off its populace into slavery or the organ market for butchering (where do you think they get unicorn horns and such to sell?), who facilitated a takeover of their nation, regardless of change of heart, is - in fact - someone who should be in prison. At least while deciding what to do with her.

Officially attaching her to Twilight as some sort of reform case tends to be how it's handled, but that's... official, as in her sentencing being carried out.

What you're suggesting is like letting a known terrorist who blew stuff and possibly people up run around free because locking them up is 'mean'. Then, of course, we forget the LAST guy who turned equines into slaves and made war on Equestria was... first discorporated in a fight with the Princesses, and later friggin' killed by Spike and Cadence, and that was canon. So... ponies apparently do that.

8544025
Two words.

Starlight Glimmer.

8544170

Should have been sent to Tartarus for creating worlds of suffering, death, mayhem, oppression and what appears to be the destruction of all life in Equestria. Mary Sue enough as it is, but she is the new showrunner's favorite and it shows.

So, as I said. We have a chance to add a little more realism in fanfiction. Starlight Glimmer excellently proves my point.

8544202
:facehoof:

Twilight mind raped her entire town. Rainbow Dash destroyed a government facility. Applejack caused most of Ponyville to get sick from food poisoning, that's called public endaendangerment. Spike rampaged through the town destroying several buildings and committing several acts of theft. The cmc could be sent to juvy for most of the things they've done. Pinkie Pie harassed and stalked Cranky. Fluttershy flat out assaults several ponies after meeting Iron Will. And Luna tried to usurp the throne and actually created a monster that threatened all of Equestria.

Pretty much every character should be in prison if you go by real world logic. So no, stories like these will never make sense, because they completely ignore what the other characters have done.

8543963
8544022
8544202
Disregarding Death of the Author, I'll throw in my two cents...
Honestly you all make pretty good points. But something that hasn't been mentioned yet is this is all from Tempest's point of view, and she's the one who thinks she might be thrown in prison. Twilight doesn't show the slightest inclination to it, it's just Tempest kinda freakin out because outside of Equestria it would be very likely. I mean, Tempest throws Twilight into a prison easily enough, it doesn't seem a stretch that the same would happen to her.
Actually, when I was first writing this it wasn't really an issue, but was a pretty natural progression for Tempest's mindset, so I just ran with it.
And while I do enjoy the fics exploring the more realistic (or more absurd) idea of actually trying/punishing her for her crimes, it doesn't seem to be a *thing* in Equestria from all we've seen.
In fact, it'd be pretty funny to see when Tempest realizes she's not gonna be punished...

Tempest: So when are you actually gonna punish me?
Twilight: What?
Tempest: I literally tried to take over and enslave Equestria.
Twilight: Pfft! Have you met my friends?
Tempest: *frowns, looks over at Pinkie Pie* What did she do?
Twilight: Wait no, not that one :facehoof:

8544447

Tempest: So when are you actually gonna punish me?
Twilight: What?
Tempest: I literally tried to take over and enslave Equestria.
Twilight: Pfft! Have you met my friends?
Tempest: *frowns, looks over at Pinkie Pie* What did she do?

Twilight: She created an army of clones that caused havoc and mass panic in ponyville.

Tempest: what about that one? *Point's to Fluttershy*

Twilight: She unleashed an extremely aggressive invasive species into ponyville, nearly destroying the local Eco-system and causing a famine.

Tempest: but surely you've never done something so horrible.

Twilight: Oh, boy, were going to be here for a while. *Turn and shouts* SPIKE! I NEED MY LIST!

8544447
Ok, that actually sounds funny and like it would happen in the show. I apologize for not reading, but the topic is one I have grown tired of because of how predictable and it is and how willing the writers of such fics usually are to forget the instances I mentioned. At a certain point you just get tired of seeing your comments downvoted and responded to with aggression just because you point out the facts and flaws. :ajsleepy:

Tempest: *looks at Pinkie* What did she do-

Pinkie: *inhales a whole buffet of sweets like Kirby*

Tempest: .....ok, not going to ask further questions.

8544515
Also...

Discord: Hi!

8544541
Three hours later...
Tempest *munching some popcorn*: So your telling me the prissy white one nearly caused two ponies to suffocate to death inside a crystal gazebo trough the power of Dark magic?

Twilight: and she crashed the economy for about six hours.

Discord: Oh, tell her about the time you turned one of your own friends into a feral, fruit stealing, monster because of your continued negligence of basic magical ethics! The thought of all of you running in terror from Fluttershy makes me laugh every time.

8544583
......this is actually inspiring me to write something. Which is great because I've practically given up.

8543539
totally didn't notice that! I went in and fixed it (to pony) but I think the reason I may have written it that way is I think Tempest was thinking of her more as a fellow unicorn, then a powerful alicorn- it just has a different connotation, I feel.
But good catch, nonetheless, thanks! :twilightsheepish:

8544597
Your Welcome. I've been working on story of my own, and a similar theme is going to be played out in the first arc.

8544639
At this point I would be happy just to write a one shot.

8544647
Well, I look forward to reading that one-shot, because I'm sure you can pull it off. My own writing has been stalled for a while now, but I'm sure the both of us will over come and rise to the challenge.

My heart melted away. I can really imagine the scene between Tempest and the others while the whole stare off. Great bonus for enjoing readers. Twillight is so cute when she sleeps :heart:

This is the most show accurate tempest I've read, everything she does, actually seemed like something tempest would do.

8545168
That's great to hear! I really tried to keep them in character, which was a bit hard considering the situation, but so glad to hear it worked! :twilightsmile:
She's a pretty fun character to write, to be honest. I wouldn't mind working with her again sometime

8543963
To be fair, this was less that Tempest should be in prison and more that she was under the impression that imprisoning her would be a logical move on the part of the Equestrian government. It's not her fault she didn't know that Equestria doesn't tend to run on military logic.

8545283
If you were to work with her again, I'd definitely read it.

*Sees Shortmane has a new story.*

*Sees Twilight and Tempest.*

A W A K E N E D .

I haven't even read it yet but I'll definitely get to it later and post a proper comment when I do.

Ok, look. You. Are. Amazing. I need to see where this goes. But... I can understand never seeing it. This is an amazing story, and I want to request a sequel, or, something, but... I can't. Because while this is, frankly, some of the best stuff I've ever read, it’s over. I see that completed tag. And I see exactly where you, the author, wanted to leave it. So I'm not gonna do a 'MOAR PLS' comment. But, just know that this is so good, that I want to.

Seems a little more than uhh, "friendship", but ok. I liked the portrayal of Tempest's worldview and how it contrasts with Equestrian society.

8552291 - Lmao, doesn't sound romantic at all.

Aww, this was so cute. :pinkiesmile: I'm glad you did this as a friend thing and not a romantic thing; you don't see many fics like this and they're just so sweet. Hope you write more in the future.

(Hi! :twilightsmile: Guess who.)

I really liked this little extra! :)

8550937
Yeah, that comparison worked well.
Still, the basic concept of imprisonment isn't completely alien to the ponies of Equestria. They know about Tartarus, and they have a police force of sorts (the Guard), and the "Old West" areas have sheriffs. Occasionally, some bad cases get turned into stone statues, which is a kind of imprisonment. They understand that mentally ill ponies need to be kept separate from the population, too (that barking pony). If they were evil, they could do things that would make "Clockwork Orange" look kind and gentle. They have that power, and Starlight Glimmer abused it after she was thought to be reformed.
So, until a criminal is definitely judged safe, it would make perfect sense to have them under some sort of restraint, house arrest, or monitoring.

Maybe Starlight could have them break down in giggles if they try to commit a violent crime. Just think, Jokers! Jokers Everywhere!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Such a damned tease. D:

This has met my need for fluff for the night. Thank you for this gem 💜

I can never get too much fluff, especially with ponies like Tempest

Twilight Sparkle was in her bed sound asleep, and curled around her was Tempest Shadow.

“What do we do?” Spike whispered.

There were vague noncommittal noises and a nervous scuffing of hooves.

"I have so many questions," Applejack said.

Then Tempest flicked her bright eyes open and all of them visibly stiffened

*Keep reading as the audio plays*

*Keep reading as the audio plays*

Fluttershy almost squeaking in alarm. But the dark purple pony didn’t move an inch, just blinked and looked up at them. They gaped back, standing frozen as if painted in a tableau. Twilight shifted with a faint sigh and everyone looked to her, but she didn’t wake, merely curled closer to the other pony.

Tempest glanced at her from the corner of her eye. Then her sharp green eyes lifted to the group as before, wordlessly asking what they might do. Or perhaps silently daring them to just try and do something.

Oh Rarity! x)

They came to the bed and Rarity had to shove her hoof to her mouth to prevent a squeal of delight.
Tempest rolled her eyes.

Like the interaction here. And Tempest, her sleep... forgot the English word... when her sleep isn't deep, and she wakes up easily when there's a potential danger around. Looks like a beginning of her career as Twi's personal guard, not to mention a close friend, and don't forget about shippers x3

There's a tag for Tempest now.

10039572
Sweet, there is! (and I updated to the movie tag, even better)
Thanks!!

9722502
Light sleeper.

They relationship look wonderful! Really good story!

don't know if you're still looking at your account & while I know it's been 2yrs since you made this fic,
but can you [eventually] make/[do] a sequel for about the next morning & a relationship they could get into! at some point in time (no rush or pressure) was just wondering, please and thank you!

Login or register to comment