• Published 22nd Nov 2017
  • 4,247 Views, 60 Comments

All Hail the Dragonborn - RedtheDestroyer



On the verge of oblivion, one fearless warrior sets out to the Throat of the World to stop the World Eater from ending the world entirely. The brave hero ends up successfully banishing Alduin into another world at the cost of sending himself too.

  • ...
17
 60
 4,247

Chapter 7: How to Save Your Dragon: Cavern Edition

Surprisingly, the young drake that I had brainwashed, with my voice, actually did know very little about Alduin and his whereabouts. However, he did lead us to the Volcanic Catacombs and even told us of the lava traps that were scattered among the cavern.

The ponies and I enter the catacombs Short Spear providing light with a simple illumination spell. It was quiet until Short Spear softly spoke. "Did you really had to use magic on him like that? We could have reasoned with him..."

I glanced back at Short Spear. "I wish it was that simple, but we simply don't have any time to waste. These weird dragons have a stubborn streak that is, at the moment, not tolerable."

"You keep on refering to the dragons as 'weird' while calling yourself a true 'Dovah'. You look like a normal pony to me, so what is so different about the dragons and you?" Lion Heart asked.

I paused thinking about similarities and differences between the two races of dragons. "From my homelands, we refer to the 'dragons' as dragons, like you ponies call it. But amongst another dragon, we are known as the Dovah: 'dragon' in their tounge. That beam of ice that the young drake used was called a thu'um, or a shout of sorts. It is a unique magic that only the Dovah can perfect to its full potential. The Dovah are special cases because they use their souls to project the magic they case into form. However, a mortal, like me, can use the souls of the Dovah to learn the thu'um almost instantly. Even amongst my birth race I am different from the norm. Very few can just extract and absorb dragon souls into their body. They call people with the ability to use the Dovah language, almost naturally, and take their souls: Dragonborn."

I heard Short Spear and Longsword repeat 'Dragonborn' to themselves. "I have never heard of anypony that can do that! Especially an Earth pony. Can you teach me?" Lion Heart gleefully asked.

I chuckled at her optimistic behavior. "To be Dragonborn is a birth trait as the name suggests. You have to have the soul of a dragon already inside of you." The ponies seem to be amazed at this fact while Lion Heart pout in disappointment.

"Okay, then what is so different with the dragons in the Dragonlands? Are they technically the same as the dragons from your lands?" Short Spear asked.

I shook my head. "No. They may have the soul of a dragon and can speak the Dovah language, but they don't have the same lifespans, or the same amount of power in their souls. Matter of fact, the Frost Breath the young drake dished out was a weaker version of what a true Dovah's could do. If I did the same thu'um on your shield the contact would have been enough to shatter it and freeze all three of you and the surroundings frozen solid. Also, a true Dovah's lifespan is eternal while I felt the hands of Akatosh work on that poor drake." It seemed that the ponies finally stopped questioning me after that reply.

The pathway we were on didn't have much of anything that would be volcanic in my opinion. Then again, I have never seen a volcano at all, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell the ponies that. Then I saw something stained on the floor I stopped and leaned down to see what it could be. It was a dried stain of blood. I silently follow the blood trail while the ponies follow my lead.

Strangely, there wasn't anything dangerous in our path either. Just a few stray lava traps like the mind controlled dragon said. Even as I followed the blood trail, no other traps were in sight. I didn't even see a single dragon wondering about the catacombs. That was both relieving and worrisome to know. The trail ended at a closed, out-of-place wooden door with a single torch a few feet beside the door.

I cast my bound sword spell and carefully open the door. My eyes widened at the sheer number of dragons inside the room. Fourteen anthropomorphic dragons in total were wondering in the room guarding a smaller light blue dragon sprawled out in the cage. I assumed the figure was a she judging by her tathered clothing and body shape.

I stepped inside, the ponies falling in line behind me, catching all the dragon's attention. There was a long pause that made the air thick with tension. That was until the biggest dragon into a fit of laughter saying:

"Oh, look, it's the pathetic 'pony calvary'!"

I scanned the rest of the dragons seeing they all looked tense and ready to fight. "I'm assuming Dragonlord Ember is inside the cage you set up in the middle of the room?"

The big dragon's laughter immediately stopped before walking slowly in front of me. The ground slightly trembled under his path. He glared down at me with a predatory smile, showing off his razor sharp teeth. The ponies began to get extremely nervous of his behavior, their herbivorous mindsets kicking in. I could tell Ember was nervous too.

"Look buddy- pal, you don't want to get into this mess. The Dragonlands are going through a political debate that doesn't involve you ponies. Now scram before I roast you in that nice armor and your friends alive." The giant drake replied making sure to put as much venom in his words as possible.

However, the Dovah in me wasn't intimidated by his display. It just made me feel like I was challanged by an Imperial into a drinking contest to see who wins. It would obviously be me! I size myself up flexing my fairly decent bulky body, only having to look slightly up, and meet his gaze. "You can have your fun in the politics your country brews yourself in, but I just have one rule," I punched the giant drake with my free fist so hard and fast he flew directly into the back wall forming an imprint inside of it. The dragons and even the ponies were shocked at my display of power. "No one ever makes a fool out of me. I may look like a pony, but you don't know the first thing about what I'm truely capable of, punk." I growled out.

The soldier dragons seemed to snap themselves out of their shock before charging at me with bare claws. I looked at the sheer numbers knowing I will need more weapons for this fight. I raised my free hand more blue magic flowing through my finger tips. It briefly flashed before revealing a ghastly demonic looking battleaxe of pure magic, similar in appearance to the bound sword. I clashed the blades together before allowing the dragons to get closer. I used my enhanced speed to swiftly decapitate the closest dragon in the field.

The ponies took this as their cue to charge in. They formed a sort of formation their position, around themselves, but I paid little more mind then that. A dragon came with its claws behind me which a respond with a swift diagonal block from the bound sword. The battleaxe effortlessly carved into three nearby drakes rendering them bleeding screeching pigs. I used the same same momentum to move backwords and angle my blade to the side allowing the dragon claws to slide off cutting into his finger tips. The foolish dragon roared in unexpected pain before being beheaded like the drake before him.

Luckily, the three nearby drakes seem to have bled to death, so I went to the next closest drake giving my war cry. I plunged the sword into the dragon's stomach before moveing to the side barely avoiding another dragon's claws. In response I hacked his left arm off. The two dragons hit the floor limped over.

A much louder war cry broke in the heat of battlefield revealing two giant drakes with armor this time. It looked to be steel plating and they seem to each wield steel maces. One of them happen to be the drake I punched in the wall. He looked angry beyond belief.

"Puny pony! You think you can prance in here and do whatever you want?! You will die now for your arrogance of challenging the mighty dragon race!" The behemoth said. Both giants ran toward me shaking the ground fiercely in harmonic sequence at me. I smiled behind the helmet knowing the perfect shout for this situation.

I inhaled quickly to get as much air as possible.

"FUS. RO. DAH!" Suddenly, a bright blue energy slammed into the giant and propelled them into the wall with such force they barely registered being hit by the shout. The remaining warrior dragons could not believe how easily he took down their strongest warrior and decide to flee the battlegrounds while they still could. The ponies ran after them hot on their trail.

I glanced at the cage with the beaten up Ember inside. I sighed before using my dragon and nord strength to ease the steel bars apart. Ember stared at my appearance in wonder. I disspelled my bound weapons and held out a hand. "Can you get up?"

"I.. I think- ah!" She attempt to stand up only to fall over. Fortunately, I caught her before she could hit the ground.

"It's fine. I'll have to carry you out of here then. We wasted enough time. Those two won't be dazed forever." I swiftly picked her up into a bridal cattle making the blue dragoness' face entirely red for some reason. Without further delay, they escape the room leaving two dazed dragon warriors to wallow in defeat.

Eventually, I caught up to the pony party remembering the path we used to get in the catacombs. Lion Heart had a sly smile at Ember, who tried to hide her blush as best as possible.

"You sly Diamond Dog, you. I didn't think you would actually be able to make the royal dragoness blush so red!" Lion Heart teased causing the dragoness to blush even harder.

I tried not to imagine what they were thinking I was doing. "Look, she is severely injured, and there is no way anyone would be able to walk in this state." I gave a hard stare through my helmet. The earth pony didn't seem to notice.

"Sure you did. That's what all stallions usually say." She replied.

I rolled my eyes before continuing my walk outside the ponies following close behind. I turned to Short Spear. "Do you know a teleportation spell?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes, but with this many ponies in the spell it would only go about half the distance of treck we traveled on. I won't be able to do anything magic related for a day, or so, if I do teleport. But first, we'll need to get out of the abnormal anitmagic zone." She added.

I sighed. "Lead the way."


Alduin, the World Eater and Destroyer of Nirn, in his legendary dragon glory, stood on top of the ridges of a mountain he claimed a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, there was no one to challenge his rule in the environment around him. Not even the other..... strange dragons had even the fraction of power he possessed. But, there was a use for them that benefit his goal to total oblivion of Nirn...

A lone bipedal dragon approached the assembled rock throne. The dragoness involuntarily shakes in her hide at the terrifiying appearance the Dovah possessed. Regardless, she needed to inform her master of recent events. The dragoness heavily gulped steeling her courage. "I have news for you, Master Alduin."

This peaked his interest slightly seeing that there hasn't been much activity since he got here in this different dimension. "Do tell quickly. I have many matters to deal currently at hand, Dov." Alduin said.

She still looked as every bit as anxious, prehaps even more than before. Alduin rolled his eyes at her nervousness and growled. She 'eeped' before returning to reality. "A group of p-ponies have manage to free former Dragonlord Ember from the C-Catacombs. The group might be out of the Dragonlands by now." She replied.

Alduin felt the seeds of annoyance and frustration run through him. That Dovah was difficult to detain and control. Especially her father was certainly a worthy foe, but not for the Firstborn of the Dovah. The servant looked like she had more to say so he waited for her to continue.

"A-And in the group there was a pony that could wield similar powers to yours, master. It was almost like-" That's all she was able to get out before Alduin roared in rage. In his fit of anger, he opened his mouth and stole the dragoness' soul out of her body. The expression of horror froze to her face. Her body fell limp on the ground before him. The Dovah ignored the death of his servant to glare harshly at the lands down below him in thought.

"So, he manage to find me even in this world.... This changes everything. I'm going to enjoy ripping your soul to pieces, Dovahkiin. Nothing will prevent the pain of a lifetime up ahead for you." A crude smile edged its way across Alduin's muzzle. Now, how to get rid of the thorn in my side for good...