• Published 14th Nov 2017
  • 400 Views, 5 Comments

The Last Element - Kiarla



An Element of Friendship is missing and Twilight doesn't have the answers!

  • ...
 5
 400

A Lonely Night and Cold Morning

Just as the light of the new day peeked over the side of the mountain, Trixie roused herself from a night of restless sleep. She had become accustomed to Starlight spending the nights with her in the small confines of her show wagon.

While most ponies stayed in houses and cottages, Trixie found them too limiting, too immobile. She preferred life on the road, going from town to town to perform. She was always on the move, always had something to do.

Starlight Glimmer had advanced pretty far in her friendship and magic studies that Twilight felt more relaxed about letting her travel to new places on her own. While she still had the tendency to hover, Twilight no longer used magic to check up on Starlight on her missions or her wanderings with Trixie.

Twilight still felt a little uncomfortable with Trixie around. She hadn't fully closed the rift between them since the duel with the Alicorn Amulet. While on the surface she had forgiven Trixie, she still wondered and worried about what that young unicorn was capable.

Trixie could see she still wasn't completely accepted or welcome in Ponyville after her lies and attempt at revenge. It bothered her and chipped away at her confidence each time she circled back there with Starlight. But there was a little glimmer of hope that she could one day redeem herself and find a place to call home.

The main reason she put up with coming back to Ponyville was for Starlight to check in with her friends and mentor. Helping Trixie with her performances left little time for writing letters to Princess Twilight.

As painful as it was to return each time, the fear of losing her one and only friend kept her going. She kept that fact buried deep inside her heart so it didn't show. The strengthening bond between Starlight and Trixie meant they were more perceptive of each others' feelings. But to her audience, the Great and Powerful Trixie didn't know fear or pain.

At first, she thought Starlight making new friends would mean they would have less time together but somehow they had become closer as best friends and stuck together most of the time.

Trixie yawned and rolled over. On her nightstand was the only picture she had as evidence of her new social life. A picture of her and Starlight in front of the wagon stage smiling with Starlight's left arm energetically wrapped around a shy, blushing Trixie.

Back then, Trixie loved the attention she got when she performed on the stage. But for some reason, more interpersonal interactions felt awkward and strange to her. It wasn't a bad feeling, just different. These days, she could embrace Starlight like anypony would a best friend.

Looking at her reflection in the glass of the picture frame, she took note of her disheveled mane, groaned and sat up. Trixie yawned again and stretched her arms and hooves above her head and flopped back on the bed.

They were hitting the road again today. Starlight had been gone all night with only a hastily written note left on the door to the wagon,

"Twilight needs my help with something. I'll be back later!

- Starlight"

Trixie didn't mind too much at first. She had gotten some time to herself to relax. But once the sun set and the night went on, she suddenly realized she was lonely. Sleep came slowly and reluctantly but it did eventually overcome her feeling of emptiness.

After a few minutes of staring at the wooden ceiling of the wagon covered in white painted stars and moons, Trixie sat up on the edge of her bed and opened the top drawer of her nightstand. She pulled out her favorite purple brush that matched her cape and started brushing out the knots in her mane.

On the way to the kitchenette, she picked up her cape that was hanging by the window facing a view of Ponyville, half hidden by the hill she had parked behind.

This cold morning called for something warm to drink. But her tin of hot cocoa powder had only crumbs and dust left. Not enough for a full delicious cup. Oh well, I'll refill it on our next shopping trip, she thought to herself. A nice hot cup of apple cider tea sounds nice too. She sat down with her tea and a bowl of hot cinnamon oatmeal.