• Published 7th Jan 2018
  • 869 Views, 23 Comments

Night Boat to Somnambula - Awesomo3000



Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer's plans for making amends with Celestia are put on hold when an ancient evil awakens in the tombs of Somnambula.

  • ...
1
 23
 869

Chapter Two

The Friendship Express’ blaring whistle faded as the train chuffed down the line and away from the serene town of Ponyville, its many carriages in tow. Both Princess Twilight Sparkle and Spike continued waving from the station platform until the train had finally disappeared out of sight and the tranquil singing of birds had replaced the deafening whistle and hissing steam.

“I hope Starlight enjoys her weekly stay in the Crystal Empire with Sunburst!” said Twilight with a smile, making her way down the platform slop and setting hoof on the cobbled path back to town.

“I’m sure she will, Twilight.” Spike replied, following suite. “She and Sunburst have lots in common! Like kites and… uh…” He paused for a moment, thinking long and hard to himself. “Actually I’m not sure what else Starlight likes but I’m sure they’ll find something to do together.”

Giving a roll of her eyes with an amused smirk, Twilight and her dragon associate carried on down the path toward Ponyville. Once they had arrived, the pair of them trekked through the bustling town, ponies going about their daily business of either shopping at the market stalls or happily chatting with others.

“Now that just leaves us with the day to ourselves.” Twilight sighed blissfully.

“Yeah, any plans on what we can do?” Her dragon assistant asked, cocking a curious eyebrow.

“Well we could…” Twilight’s nonchalant expression faded instantly. “Umm… uhh… baking?”

“Uh, we’ve done that already.” Spike replied. “When Fluttershy needed to find that cure for Zecora, remember?”

“Oh, right.” Twilight said with an embarrassed blush before wracking her brains, trying to think of another activity, “Hmm… ooh! We could reorganize all the books in the castle library!”

“For the sixth time this month?” Spike cocked an eyebrow.

“Well, uh… grocery shopping?”

“We’re already stocked up on food.”

“Cleaning?” Twilight’s tone was beginning to become desperate now.

“Took care of it all yesterday.”

”Well I don’t suppose you have any suggestions?” Twilight really started to get up in the dragon’s face, her eye twitching endlessly. “Anything? At all? Something that doesn’t involve total agonizing boredom?” Spike just barely managed to maintain his balance before giving his answer.

“Umm… not really.”

“Ugggh!” Twilight screamed toward the heavens, standing on her hind legs. “Why does today have to be devoid of anything to do? Why is the universe so cruel?! WHY?!” She ended her Rarity-like scene with a defeated face plant to the ground as various ponies stopped to glance at her, many concerned but equally freaked out. Spike gave a sheepish grin as he tried to think of something to appease his companion, his eyes darting in different directions as he pondered.

It wasn’t until he squinted when his eyes briefly looked directly at the sun that his face lit up like a candle. Turning towards his pony friend still practically kissing the ground, he prodded her shoulder with a claw.

“Hey! What about visiting Sunset Shimmer?” Peeling her face off the terrain, Twilight glanced up at the dragon.

“Huh?”

“Well we haven’t gone through the mirror for a while.” Spike elaborated, “I mean, writing to her is one thing but when was the last time you actually saw her face-to-face?” Twilight thought back to her last trip through the mirror; it had only been a brief visit and even then, she’d most spent more time getting to know her counterpart than with Sunset. And very recently, she’d just missed her come back to collect that new journal and let Starlight tag along for an adventure in the other world.

Twilight sprung to her hooves, beaming widely as if her freak-out less than a minute ago had never occurred.

“Spike, you are a genius!” She cried, twirling him around in an embrace before releasing him, “What would I do without you?”

“Truthfully I’m too afraid to think about that.” The dragon murmured as he gave chase, both sprinting back to her shimmering castle on the edge of town.

Bursting through the front doors, the pair wasted no time storming the castle library and beginning their search on each shelf.

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask if she’s free for a visit.” Twilight said to herself, carefully scanning each shelf she flew past.

“Here it is!”

Her eyes lighting up, the Alicorn turned her focus to Spike, balanced on the top rung of the rolling ladder. Held tight in his claws was a neat, albeit somewhat dusty, brown journal with Celestia’s sun cutie mark emblazoned on the cover. Twilight’s aura engulfed the book, levitating it gently out of Spike’s hand and settling it on one of the tables below. She landed gracefully on the chair while Spike climbed back down safely. Plucking a quill out of an inkpot in the table’s centre, Twilight’s magic skimmed through every page before finally landing on a blank one. Then she began to write:

‘Dear Sunset:

Since Starlight’s gone off to visit a friend in the Crystal Empire and nothing much else is happening today, Spike and I are pretty stumped on things to do. Would you be okay if we came through the portal to see you? It has been a while.

Your friend, Twilight Sparkle’

The princess then placed the quill back into its pot as the writing gave a brief glow, indicating it had successfully been sent.

“Now all that’s left to do is wait.” Twilight said confidently. She stared keenly at the page, her hooves drumming on the table’s timber surface while Spike just looked at her judgmentally.

“Shouldn’t be too hard.” She added after half a minute of silence, clearly showing no patience as Spike rolled his eyes.

“Well, Twilight, there is the chance she might be spending some time with her Canterlot High friends. So don’t worry if she doesn’t get back to us right aw…” His reassurance was shattered by a new message materializing onto the page, coupled with the journal vibrating. Twilight gave a squeal of delight, clapping her hooves together.

“Well I’ve been wrong before.” The dragon finished.

“See, Spike. It pays to be patient.” Twilight retained her casual posture while Spike raised an incredulous eyebrow. The pony then began reading the recent message below her own. Once finished, however, she and Spike merely gazed curiously at it:

‘Dear Princess Twilight:

No worries, I’m free for a visit. I actually wanted to talk to you in person anyway. It’s about something that’s been on my mind lately.

Your friend, Sunset Shimmer’


With some modifications and a little rewiring, the mirror to Canterlot High was up and running once more. The moment she’d read Sunset’s message, Twilight had gathered her friends to wait beside the portal just in case something went awry. Gathering their courage, both she and Spike sprinted into the swirling pink vortex once again. And in a flash of white and an amalgam of churning colours, the two of them just managed to stay balanced as they emerged from the other side. Spike was in his dog form and Twilight had regained her upright stature, complete with clothing, hands and the same tiny muzzle.

And standing before the school building, clad in her signature leather jacket with her red and yellow hair falling down her back was Sunset.

“Sunset!” Quickly getting used to her alien legs, Twilight dashed toward her friend who gave a smile in return.

“Twilight! Spike!” Sunset cried, accepting her in a warm embrace while Spike resorted to giving her ankle a friendly hug, “It’s so great to see you again.” Pulling out of the hug, Twilight’s expression changed to a more serious one.

“I came as soon as I got your reply.” She said with concern. “What’s the problem? Is it another magical threat to this world? Did another villain somehow come through the portal when I wasn’t looking? Have the Sirens returned?!”

“No, no and no. Nothing that major.” Sunset replied with a deadpan expression. She gave an amused smirk as Twilight relaxed, her cheeks blushing an embarrassed red colour.

“Oh. Hehe. Okay.”

“But it is something really important.” She added, uneasily rubbing her forearm, “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking recently. And I realised that I’ve spent so much time here in this world, I’d almost forgotten about my old life back in Equestria. Canterlot. My magic. My studies.” She glanced down at the ground with guilt.

“My… unfinished business.”

Twilight and Spike looked at each other as the pieces in their head starting fitting together.

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” Spike asked. Sunset inhaled deeply then gave a short nod in response.

“I… I’m ready to return to Equestria and make amends with Princess Celestia.”

Astounded silence now filled the air between them, the only noise being the gentle breeze and the occasional distant honk of a car’s horn.

“Are… are you sure?” Twilight finally inquired, still quite surprised at this turn of events. Sunset nodded once more before looking down at the pavement, remorse clear as daylight in her eyes.

“Well I know that my last conversation with her wasn’t the most pleasant.” She replied. “Just remembering that last time I saw her makes me feel sick. Even if she’s swept it under the rug, I’ll never feel better until I do this. And just asking you to tell her or write to her for me isn’t enough.” She steeled herself though there was a minor twinge of fear beneath her expression.

“She deserves to hear it from me personally.” Her shock melting away, Twilight stepped closer and placed a supportive hand upon her friend’s shoulder.

“Sunset, this is a pretty big step you’re taking. One I’m very proud of you for.” She said, earning a grateful smile in return. “I’m sure Princess Celestia would really appreciate that.”

“Does this mean you’ll be coming back to Equestria… permanently?” Spike spoke up, tilting his head curiously.

“Well… I don’t know about that, Spike.” Sunset responded after a moment of contemplation. “I mean, I’ve been here for so long and made so many amazing new friends thanks to you guys, it practically feels like a new home to me. I’m not sure I’m ready to leave for good just yet.” Twilight gave a respectful nod.

“I understand.”

“Do you think you two could wait here while I go pack a few things?” asked Sunset, “I won’t be long.” Both Twilight and Spike nodded in reply. With that, Sunset turned on her heel, sprinted away from the school and down the lane toward her house. Looking on, Twilight smiled warmly at how far her friend had come and how much she was willing to atone for her past.

It seemed this day wouldn’t be as boring as she thought.


The archaeologists had long gone but the creature in the Catacombs was very much still there.

The top half of this beast was simple enough: a jackal dog with fur as blue as the night sky, similar to Celestia in height. He had a pair of tall ears atop his head. Each of his arms had a regal golden ring around it along with matching gold lines circling each glowing eye. His pointed muzzle curled into a malicious grin, baring his sharp teeth. And his upright canine body was skinny to the point where one could see his ribs.

The bottom half was a different story.

Rather than hind legs and a tail like any regular jackal, his top half rested on the front of a gigantic scorpion.

Four robust legs jutted out of each side like splinters. Its shell was riddled with a line of jagged spikes down the spine, adorned in black and orange stripes. It had a long black tail complete with a massive orange stinger on the tip. And like any scorpion, the claws at the front were huge. With the size of these black ones with orange tips, however, they looked like they could snap a pony in two like a twig. His top half didn’t even have paws like all jackals. Instead at the end of each arm was an orange pincer claw, thin though still undoubtedly strong.

Alsum flexed each of his appendages with a content sigh.

“Ahhh, it feels so good to finally move again after being stuck behind that accursed wall!” He said in a voice simply oozing with malice. He stopped stretching and shaking the dust out of his fur as his tall ears perked up, searching for any sound. But there was none.

“Hmm, strange.” The jackal-scorpion murmured. “All seems quiet. Too quiet.” Alsum made his way to the large doorway and stuck his head out, looking down each end of the dark passageway.

“Helloooo?” He called. Only his echo replied back. “Guards? Anyone? I’ve broken out of my prison! You’d better come stop me!” When no one came running, that same wicked grin returned to his face.

“So my people are all gone.” He said smugly, pulling his head back into the tomb. “Which means…” Alsum’s low chuckle erupted into bellowing evil laughter, resonating throughout the catacombs.

“There’s no one around to stop me this time!” With that, the amalgamated creature made his way out of the large doorway and into the corridor. “With the Scarab of Ghamid, I, Alsum, can now… wait!” He quickly froze in his tracks, thinking to himself. He glanced down at his scorpion half with an odd mixture of contempt and vanity.

“Not knowing how to use it properly is exactly what got me stuck with this wretched, yet quite potent and stylish, body in the first place.” Alsum stroked his chin with one of his pincer claws, though gently so as not to accidentally spear himself.

“So… before I can wield the Scarab,” He concluded, his face lighting up with realization, “I must first learn the incantation to gain control of its power.” Smirking, he pondered to himself one last time.

“Hmm, if I recall correctly, Father always inscribed the history of our people’s relics on his chamber walls.” With lightning speed, the jackal-scorpion turned and scuttled down the hallway towards the various other tombs. At last he found it. Entering the tomb, he gazed at the sarcophagus upon three stone slabs in the centre before turning his attention to the wall. As he thought, carvings and paintings of various treasures decorated every square inch, from the tiniest ring to the grandest scepter.

Finally he saw it. A pictogram of a golden six-legged beetle with a green circle on its back. And above it, a series of ancient hieroglyphs. A vile grin spread across Alsum’s face, showing his pointed teeth.

“Perfect.”