• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 18,737 Views, 1,174 Comments

The Noble Guardians - nobreiner



There is a legend. A legend of six heroes, but they are not the Elements of Harmony. They are Noble.

  • ...
61
 1,174
 18,737

Her Personal Grim Reaper

Fluttershy sped through the tunnel, the oppressive darkness doing little to deter her, for it was nothing compared to the horror that she had left behind in the crystal chamber. That vision, the battle, the blood, it was too much. The monsters she had seen, the bloodshed, burned itself into her mind despite her attempts to banish it. The worst of it though, was Six. The monsters fought with such a terrible rage, and as terrifying as it was, it was nothing compared to the faceless monstrosity that was the Spartan. The cold, emotionless air with which she wiped out the monsters, it was far more terrifying than they could ever be. Even the little ones, who fled screaming in terror, were subjected to her rampage.

She was completely indifferent, a machine whose only purpose was to kill. It wasn’t until the one fateful bolt impacted on her helmet, that she showed any emotion, ripping the helmet off with a terrible howl of rage. Fluttershy had been doing her best to block out the carnage around her, but that call, that animalistic roar, had forced her eyes open, her caring nature unable to ignore the agony of its source. That was when she saw her, the Spartan in all her lethal glory.

What followed was too much for her to bear, but something, be it horror or simply morbid curiosity, kept her gaze locked on the scene before her. As each of the monsters was cut down, one after another, Fluttershy could only look on in a terrified stupor.

When the last of the monsters had fallen, and the Spartan paused to breathe, the trance that had taken hold of Fluttershy was broken, and she collapsed. She shut her eyes, stemming the flood of tears that had previously been streaming down her muzzle. She wrapped her hooves around her head, fighting to deny the carnage that she had just witnessed, when another sound forced her eyes open yet again. Looking up, Fluttershy failed to hold back the sob that had been threatening to break free.

Before her was Six, suspended in the air by another of the monstrous figures. As the figure retracted the sword and the two opponents began their final words, Fluttershy looked on, their words muted compared to the rapid pounding of her heart.

When the end came, and the two warriors disappeared in a flash of blue light, Fluttershy finally succumbed to her anguish, and fell into blissful unconsciousness.

Fluttershy blinked heavily, shedding a few glittering tears as she flew blindly toward the tunnel’s exit. Finally, a light began to permeate the darkness before her, a beacon of hope that spurred her on with all her feeble might.

Then, she was clear. Bright, beautiful sunlight poured through stained-glass windows, bathing her surroundings in a soft, ethereal light. Fluttershy looked around her, allowing herself a sigh of relief, and smiled.

Her smile disappeared, however, when she was struck by the thought, “What do I do now?”


“Fluttershy, wait!” Rainbow called after the fleeing Pegasus, lifting into the air to follow. When suddenly she was halted by a calm voice behind her.

“Stop.” Rainbow turned to find Noble Six, the Spartan looking to her with her usual expressionless gaze. “Don’t go after her.” Six continued, brushing past the confused Pegasus. “Let me handle this.”

Rainbow huffed indignantly. “Yeah right! She needs help, not to be scared out of her wits again.” Rainbow made to fly past the Spartan, but was knocked out of the air by a soft blow to her side. Before she could push herself to her hooves, the Lieutenant calmly pinned her to the ground with a hoof to her side.

As Rainbow glared up at the Spartan, ready to give her retort, Noble Six silenced her with a look. “This is between me and her. She’s scared of me, and I’m the only one who can change that. Stay here, I’m going to find her.”

“To Hay with that!” Rainbow growled, struggling under the Spartan’s hold. “She needs her friends!” Turning to the other Elements, she continued, “Guys, help me out here! We don’t need Six to scar Fluttershy for life!” Seeing her friends’ uncertain glances, Rainbow’s eyes widened in shock. “Are you kidding me?! Look at what she did to her!”

Applejack stepped forward. “Listen Sugarcube, Ah think Six’s right here. Fluttershy looked scared’r than Ah’ve ever seen her. We don’t rightly know what she saw, but Six does. Ah believe Six when sh’says that she wants to help Fluttershy.” Rainbow looked from Applejack to each of her friends in turn, and then to the Spartans and finally Celestia. Seeing none of them objected to this logic, she gave a huff of irritation.

“Fine.” Looking to Six, she nodded and the Spartan calmly stepped back to allow the Pegasus to stand. Once back on her hooves, Rainbow quickly rounded on Six. “I’m giving you one chance. But if she is still scared of you, I’ll personally make sure you never get close to her, understand?” Six gave a solemn nod of confirmation, before marching towards the exit, proceeding slowly until she was swallowed up by darkness.


Fluttershy fearfully crept through the early-morning halls of the Castle. Occasionally, she would hear the steady clip-clop of an approaching guard or servant and would dive behind the nearest tapestry or statue. Once the coast was clear, she would silently sneak out and continue her aimless march.

As Fluttershy continued through the Castle, her thoughts were a jumbled mess of conflicting fears and sympathies. She could feel for Noble Six, seeing her face such immeasurable odds and yet press onwards was an archetype of bravery that Fluttershy could never even hope to be, yet the sheer brutality of her actions and the expressionless stupor with which she carried them out left Fluttershy with an ache in her heart and a quiver in her stomach. Despite popular belief, Fluttershy didn’t believe in monsters. Creatures that would gladly eat somepony just to fill their bellies, sure, but truly evil beasts? She denied it, maintaining the belief that evil creatures were made, not born.

So what had created Six? What terrible circumstances had lead to the creation of somepony so dead inside, so terrifyingly blank that she seemed not only unaffected by bloodshed, but she seemed to disregard it altogether? Fluttershy was terrified of Six, that much was obvious, but something about the Spartan also roused a strange curiosity within her, as well as a maternal instinct that begged her to offer the Spartan some form of comfort. These two warring emotions caused Fluttershy to sit back on her haunches and wrap her hooves around her head, rubbing her temples in an attempt to quell the resulting headache.

Suddenly, from behind her, she heard a loud, authoritative voice shout, “Hey! You’re not meant to be here!”


The assembled ponies regarded Six’s retreating form with a mix of curiosity and worry. Celestia in particular held an expression of concern. If the Guardians and the Elements were incapable of working together, then Equestria was surely doomed should the need for either of them arise. What was worse, if there was this much tension between the two already, Celestia had no idea how they would react to her next proposal.

As Celestia pondered how best to proceed, she observed the assembled ponies before her. She first looked to Rainbow Dash, and was relieved to find her talking with Jun, who was speaking solemnly about the Lieutenant, assuring her that she was indeed acting with Fluttershy’s interests at heart.

“Trust me. Six may be a bit… cold, but she puts the mission before anything else, and right now, keeping your friend safe is her mission.” Jun finished, resting a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder, only for it to be roughly shaken off.

“I don’t want her to protect Fluttershy because it’s some sort of job for her!” Rainbow growled, rounding on Jun. “Fluttershy needs somepony who will be her friend, not some sort of bodyguard!”

“Well that may be, but in case it isn’t obvious,” Jun gestured to the monoliths, “we don’t really have a choice here. The best we can hope for is to make the best of this.” Rainbow looked uncertain, and Jun sighed before continuing, “Look, I wouldn’t worry about her right now. In case you’ve forgotten, you and I are stuck together, just like those two. Don’t you think we should, I don’t know, discuss this?”

Rainbow looked to Jun confusedly, “What’s there to discuss? You’re pretty cool, and now we’ve got each other’s backs. Simple.” Jun could only gape at Rainbow’s bluntness, her ability to reduce such a complex issue to one sentence.

Finally, Jun found his voice. “There’s a bit more to it than that. And what do you mean we’ve got each other’s backs?”

Rainbow cocked her head curiously. “What do you mean, what do I mean? It’s your job to keep me safe, and my job to keep you safe. That’s all.”

Jun huffed indignantly. “That’s not how it works. I protect you, not the other way around. I’m your Guardian, and you’re my charge. Period.”

Rainbow chuckled. “To Hay with that! I don’t need any bodyguard! I’m not some damsel like Rarity!” Rainbow struck an impressive pose, and Jun rolled his eyes. Ah well. I can deal with this later.

Any further conversation was halted as Celestia stepped forward. “Excuse me, everypony. I believe that there is one more issue we must address.” All eyes turned toward the Princess, and she continued, “If the Guardians are going to be any sort of use protecting the Elements, then they will need to be situated within Ponyville as soon as possible.”

Carter looked to the Princess with confusion. “Then what’s the problem?”

Celestia turned to address the Commander. “The problem, is that there is nowhere for you to stay. I fully intend to induct you into the Royal Guard, but there is no Guard Barracks in Ponyville, and all my previous attempts at having one installed have been stalled within the Parliament.”

Applejack balked at this revelation. “Wait, yer tellin’ me that we coulda’ had Royal Guards in Ponyville fer years, but just ‘cause some old ponies in Parliament say no we’ve been havin’ ta fight fer ourselves?”

Celestia nodded sadly, before continuing, “I am afraid so. The nobles in Parliament have been unwilling to pass the bill, as it would prove to be quite costly, mostly due to the fact that it would mean moving members of the Royal Guard there as well. However, now that Noble Team is here, I hope to make some headway in getting the bill passed. The Guardians must be close enough to protect the Elements, and a barracks in Ponyville would be the only viable option.”

Kat cocked her head confusedly. “But wouldn’t it still take weeks just to get the bill passed, not to mention actually having the barracks built?”

Celestia nodded again. “Yes, exactly. Therefore, until the barracks has been approved and constructed, I propose that Noble Team stays with each of you.” This was met with expressions of surprise, and Celestia continued, “It is the only way for Noble to remain in Ponyville while simultaneously remaining close enough to protect each of the Elements at a moment’s notice.” This was met with a moment of silence, as each of the Elements considered this option.

Pinkie Pie spoke up first. “I don’t know, Princess. The Cakes already rent out one of their spare rooms to me, I don’t know if they’d let Emilio stay there for free.”

Applejack nodded. “Yeah, y’can’t expect us to take in somepony outta the blue like that. I don’t know if Sweet Apple Acres can afford takin’ in another mouth t’feed, ‘specially a big feller like Jorge.” Applejack looked to the Spartan with a sheepish expression before adding, “No offence, o’course.” Jorge chuckled, waving her off with a hoof.

Celestia shook her head at their objections. “I had no intention of dropping Noble Team upon you girls without any form of compensation. Of course you will be given a reimbursement for taking in the Guardians.” Celestia turned toward the Spartans before adding, “That is if they hold no objections to this arrangement?”

Carter looked to each of his teammates, gauging their reactions to this proposal. Kat and Jun looked indifferent, Jorge looked satisfied, and Emile, though clearly reluctant, seemed to accept this as the best possible solution. Turning to the Princess, Carter nodded and said, “As long as the Elements hold no objections, we agree.”

Celestia smiled, and turned to the Elements to see their reply. Twilight and Rainbow gave nods of approval. Rarity hesitated, eying Kat carefully, before doing the same. Lastly, Applejack and Pinkie Pie regarded the Spartans, appearing deep in thought. After a few moments, Pinkie nodded happily, and slowly, Applejack copied her motion.

Satisfied that the situation had been resolved, Celestia grinned. “Excellent, now all we need to do is run this by Fluttershy and Noble Six, and we may move forward. I only hope that the Lieutenant is able to quell her fears.”


“I said, you’re not supposed to be here!” The guard growled, glaring down at Fluttershy’s quivering form. “State your business for being in the Castle, now!” Fluttershy was unable to answer, her terror smothering her voice and forcing her to curl up further in a pointless attempt to hide.

“Well?” The guard said, his professional demeanor offering no respite for the frightened mare before him. “I’m going to have to ask you to come with me. We can discuss the nature of your trespass in the dungeons.” Fluttershy could only whimper intelligibly in response, and the guard stepped forward to subdue her, when he was suddenly halted by a cry of “Stop!” coming from behind him.

Turning toward the source of the cry, the guard found himself face to face with his own reflection. After a second of confusion, the guard looked past his image to observe the grey, helmeted figure before him. The first thing he felt was confusion. The voice he had heard was definitely feminine, yet the pony before him was as tall as he was. This confusion was quickly dashed however, as the mare continued, “Stand down, soldier. She’s with me.”

The guard scanned the mare’s form for a moment, before he answered gruffly, “And just who the buck are you?”

The mare gave what he guessed to be a dismissive look from behind her visor, and responded, “Lieutenant Noble Six. I’m the Element of Kindness’ escort.” Six gestured to Fluttershy, who was now staring wide-eyed at Six, frozen in horror and bewilderment.

The guard drew back in surpriseat Six’s assertion, glancing at Fluttershy in shock. To Six’s dismay, his surprise soon gave way to suspicion. “A likely story. You don’t look like a guard to me, and I very much doubt one of the Elements would be wandering the Castle alone.” He stared pointedly into Six’s visor with this statement. “I’m going to have to contact my Commander about this.”

Six gave an audible huff of irritation. “I’m under orders of Princess Celestia herself, so, if you would like to waste both her time and mine and continue to assault this innocent mare, then go right ahead. I’ll make sure to be present at your court-martial.”

The guard cringed at this proclamation, stepping back and looking from the Lieutenant to Fluttershy uncertainly. After composing himself, he fixed the Spartan with a hard glare, searching for any signs of deception. To his disappointment, Six’s masked gaze was unyielding, and he soon found himself quailing under her stare.

“A-All right, I guess that checks out.” He looked to Fluttershy, and continued, “Sorry for the misunderstanding ma’am. In the future, please stay with your escort. We wouldn’t want to confuse you for some delinquent.” Seeing Fluttershy’s slow nod in response, the guard returned the gesture, before turning tail and rushing out of the room as quickly as his fractured pride would allow.

Fluttershy watched the guard leave, feeling equal parts relief and dread from his departure. Once the guard had disappeared around a corner, she slowly brought her gaze back down to the floor, unable to look at the mare who had saved her from imprisonment.

Six regarded Fluttershy’s cowering figure for a moment, before trotting up to her, her approach causing the mare to give a squeak of terror. Rolling her eyes, Six reached down and carefully placed a hoof beneath her chin. Fluttershy flinched at the contact, but Six gently murmured, “Look at me.” The command forced Fluttershy to lift her gaze to meet the reflective visor, and she felt the start of tears begin to form.

Six was having none of that, however. “Stop crying.” She demanded, releasing Fluttershy’s chin and stepping back. The Pegasus nodded quietly, giving a small sniffle as she wiped her eyes with a hoof.

After giving Fluttershy a few moments to recover, Six addressed her again, “Your friends are waiting for you back in the chamber. Let’s go.” Unable to argue, and unwilling to resist, Fluttershy followed the Lieutenant as she turned and marched back through the halls towards the entrance to the Hall of Ghosts.

The next few minutes passed in silence, broken only by the steady hoofbeats of the pair marching through the halls of the Castle. To Six’s relief, they encountered no guards on their way to the Hall of Ghosts, and all too soon they had arrived at the entrance to the tunnel. Six suddenly halted her march before entering the darkness of the tunnel, nearly sending Fluttershy stumbling into her. Quickly regaining her balance, Fluttershy looked to Six in confusion, only to quail under the Spartan’s steady gaze.

“Before we go any further, we need to talk.” It wasn’t a question, or even a command, but a statement of fact, and Fluttershy found herself nodding in agreement. Six sat back on her haunches, and after an awkward moment of silence, Fluttershy got the message and sat down as well.

Six gave Fluttershy a stiff nod before beginning. “I’m assuming what you saw in there frightened you. That I frightened you.” Six waited for Fluttershy to give a small mumble of confirmation before continuing, “I understand that what you saw might have been… scary, but you have to understand that what I did back on Reach was my only option. Those Covenant were animals, and I put them down like animals.”

This statement proved to be a mistake. “You think that makes it right!” Fluttershy cried, her voice rising to within audible standards. “Animals in trouble need help, but you just fought them! Y-You…” Fluttershy couldn’t continue, tears once again springing to her eyes.

Realizing she would need to change her approach, Six sighed. “Alright, then think about me. My friends were dead, I was doomed, and the Covenant was about to overwhelm me. What happens when an animal is backed into a corner, with no chance of running?”

Fluttershy frowned. “W-Well, it attacks anypony, even if they’re trying to help it. But why was fighting your only option? Why didn’t you just run? Why’d you have to… to k-” Fluttershy choked, unable to finish.

Six said nothing, only looking away from the Pegasus to regard the early morning sunlight streaming through the windows. Finally, she responded, “Do you remember what Carter said about SPARTAN-IIIs? About where we come from?”

Fluttershy nodded. “He said you were all orphans. Survivors from planets the Covenant invaded.”

Six looked away from the window to look Fluttershy directly in the eyes, her inscrutablevisor meeting Fluttershy’s expressive orbs. “That’s right. The Covenant took my family. Took my home. Took my life. When they took Noble, I decided then that I would take something back. They sowed their deaths with the lives they took, and I became their reaper.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as Six finished her speech. To think that somepony could lose so much… Fluttershy sucked in a shaky breath. Guilt at her treatment of Six, regarding her as just another monster, nearly reduced her to tears again. “I’m sorry.” She finally choked out, looking down to the floor. A hoof on her shoulder caused her to look up, to find Six regarding her, her head cocked to the left.

“You don’t have to be sorry. I don’t care if you’re scared of me. I don’t even care if you like me. All that’s important is that you know that it is now my job to keep you safe. And that means nothing, not me, or anything else in this world, is going to hurt you, because I will not fail my mission. Do you understand?” Fluttershy gave a meek nod. “Good.” Six released Fluttershy’s shoulder, before turning toward the darkness of the tunnel. “Let’s go.”

Then, without waiting for Fluttershy’s response, Six trotted forward into the darkness of the tunnel. Fluttershy watched her form become swallowed up by darkness, before hurrying to follow.


The Elements, Guardians, and Celestia mingled about the chamber, waiting patiently for Six to return.

“Arrgh, I can’t TAKE IT ANYMORE!”

Well, most of them were waiting patiently.

“We’ve waited long enough; I’m gonna go find Fluttershy. She doesn’t need Six, she needs her friends!” Rainbow hollered, lifting into the air in preparation for zooming off through the tunnel.

Realizing the situation was about to spin out of control, Celestia stepped forward. “Rainbow Dash, I understand that you are concerned for Fluttershy’s well being, but you must place some trust in Noble Six. She-“

“But why should we!” Rainbow demanded, glowering at the monarch. “Since she’s come here all she’s done is terrify Fluttershy, send Ponyville into a panic, nearly murdered you-“

Rainbow Dash!” All eyes turned to Twilight, who was now staring daggers at the Pegasus. “You will not talk to the Princess like that! She believes that Six will help Fluttershy, and I trust her judgment!” Twilight looked prepared to continue her tirade, but was stopped when the Princess walked over and laid a hoof on her protégé’s shoulder.

“Twilight Sparkle, I am happy to know how much faith you place in me, but Rainbow is within her right to be wary of Six.” Sending the mollified Pegasus a reassuring glance, she continued, “But what you must know, Rainbow Dash, is that Noble Six was chosen to be Fluttershy’s Guardian for a reason. It is her destiny. We have to allow them to work this problem out on their own. I promise you, that you won’t be disappointed.”

Rainbow Dash continued to look unsure, but reluctantly bowed her head. “Alright. I’ll give her one chance. One. Destiny or not, I won’t let my friends get hurt.” Celestia smiled warmly, and nodded.

Seeing that the situation had defused somewhat, Jun stepped forward. “Don’t worry. I’m sure Six and Fluttershy are fine.” Jun suddenly perked up, a smile forming on his lips. “Speak of the Devil.”

Looking to Jun curiously, Rainbow followed his gaze, and saw Six entering the chamber. Her expression darkened, but quickly became relieved when she saw Fluttershy following close behind.

Zipping forward, Rainbow brushed past Six to lift Fluttershy into the air, scanning the Pegasus’ form for any sign of damage. “Fluttershy!” Rainbow said urgently. “Are you alright? She didn’t hurt you, did she?”

Fluttershy gave a reassuring smile at her friend’s concern. “I’m fine, Rainbow Dash. Six didn’t do anything, she just helped me find my way back here.” Rainbow looked to the Spartan for confirmation, and was rewarded with a stiff nod.

Grinning sheepishly, Rainbow released Fluttershy, stepping back with a blush. “Right. Umm, great! Just as I expected!” Feeling glares from a majority of the room boring into her back, she quickly turned to Six and added, “I mean, uh, sorry. I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

Six shrugged. “It’s fine.” Turning to face Carter and Celestia, she continued, “What did we miss?”

“We discussed our housing situation.” Carter responded. “Apparently we’re each going to be staying with an Element.” He turned to Fluttershy, adding, “That is, if you don’t object to Six staying with you.”

Fluttershy looked from Carter, to Celestia, and finally to Six, before gulping nervously. While she was no longer terrified of Six, it wouldn’t be true to say the Spartan didn’t scare her. But then Fluttershy thought back to Six’s words. Nothing, not me, or anything else in this world, is going to hurt you, because I will not fail my mission. Mustering up her courage, Fluttershy nodded firmly, a determined expression on her face.

Celestia beamed, satisfied to see one of her subjects showing such spirit. “Excellent. Now that that’s resolved, I’m sure each of you would like to return home. I will arrange a chariot to take you all back to Ponyville. Noble, I would like to speak with you in private, and you will then be taken to the Castle’s Barracks. I’m sure you could use the rest.”

The assembled ponies looked to the Princess perplexedly, but it was Rainbow Dash who voiced her confusion first. “Wait, why aren’t they coming with us? I thought you said they would be living with us.”

Celestia shook her head. “While I do intend to have Noble stay with you until the barracks in Ponyville are built, there are still many things that must be done before Noble may take active duty. They must be sworn into the guard, trained,-“

“Whoa whoa whoa!” Emile exclaimed, glaring at the Princess. “We’ve been training since we were kids! Sending us back to basic would be pretty damn redundant, wouldn’t it?” Around him, Noble gave murmurs of agreement.

Celestia frowned. “I observed during our battle that although you are indeed formidable, you are too used to fighting as humans.” She looked to Carter and Kat. “Of the two of you, only Noble Two attempted to use magic, and even then it was quite weak.” Kat looked somewhat unsettled at this, but made no objection. “All of you could benefit from some training in fighting as a pony, to make the most use of your abilities. I propose a short, weeklong course to educate you on the basics, before deploying you in Ponyville, where you may practice what you have learned at your leisure.”

Noble Team was silent, considering this offer. To Carter, the choice was obvious. Anything that made Noble a more effective fighting unit was worth consideration, and as he looked to the remaining Spartans, he could see they had much the same thoughts as him. Turning to the Princess, he gave an affirmative nod. “Alright, Princess. We accept your offer, and thank you for this opportunity.”

The Princess accepted Carter’s thanks with a nod, before gracing the Elements with a smile. “Excellent. Now, if you would kindly follow me, we will get you girls home.” The Princess then marched back into the tunnel, her horn igniting to light the way, and the remaining ponies quickly moved to follow.


“Well, I’ll see you in a week, I guess.” Rainbow said, giving Jun a grin. The Spartan smiled back in return, and the two shared a mock salute before Rainbow hopped on the chariot, the other Elements doing the same after giving their respective Guardians their goodbyes. Then, the two Pegasi pulling the chariot lifted off, and within moments the chariot became a gradually shrinking shape on the horizon.

Noble Team watched the chariot leave, before turning to the Princess, awaiting further orders. “Now that that is settled,” Celestia began, “please follow me. We have one more matter to discuss before I may allow you to retire.” Celestia then trotted back into the Castle, the Spartans following diligently behind her.

Eventually, the Princess led Noble to a large set of doors, each of them reaching close to the ceiling and the image of a sun emblazoned upon them. On each side of the door stood two guards, their stoic expressions shifting only to look towards their Princess, preparing to follow any order given.

Celestia looked to the guards. “I wish to enter my quarters.” She said simply. “These six will accompany me.” The guards nodded, immediately shifting to open the doors for their monarch. Celestia said nothing more, marching into her quarters. Noble followed, the doors closing the second they were past the threshold.

Carter spoke first, “I assume we are here for you to tell us what you couldn’t back in the Hall?” Celestia nodded, and her horn gave a brief flash of light, before the door was suddenly coated in the same yellow glow of her horn.

Carter glanced at the door in confusion, and Celestia explained, “Soundproofing Spell. And yes, now I will discuss with you the exact nature of your duties outside of protecting the Elements.” Celestia’s horn glowed, and suddenly an image, one upon first glance Carter thought to be a hologram, appeared between them. Its image was that of a slowly spinning sphere, its surface overlaid with green and blue shapes. After a second of confusion, Carter realized it was a map of the world.

One of the shapes on the globe suddenly glowed a brilliant gold, and Celestia said, “This, is Equestria. As of now, it is the most successful nation in the world. A Utopia. There is no war, very little crime, and there is a unity among its citizens that has not been broken for a thousand years.” Celestia looked to the Spartans, to find them inspecting the map curiously.

“I don’t get it.” Emile said perplexedly. “If Equestria’s a ‘Utopia’ then what do you need us for?”

“I need you because this perfection may be in danger.” Celestia responded grimly. “The danger lies, not within Equestria’s borders, but beyond them.” A new change took over the globe, as a large section of green bordering Equestria suddenly changed, becoming two separate but roughly equal sections of red and blue, respectively. “This is the Griffon Kingdom. Currently, the entire nation is in the grip of a civil war. Government Loyalists against Ultranationalist Rebels, and whoever wins determines the fate of Equestria.”

Jun cocked his head in curiosity. “How so? I can see how you would be concerned, what with them being so close, but how does this directly threaten Equestria?”

Celestia’s response was worried. “Because the leader of the Ultranationalists, General Garrison, has made it quite clear that once he takes control, his next target is Equestria.” Celestia shook her head sadly. “This is not the first time this has happened, many rulers in the past have made threats against Equestria, hoping to claim some of out success for their own. My power over the Sun has deterred them, however Garrison has ignored my warnings. He seems determined to invade Equestria, and I fear he may succeed. As you know, I am capable of defending my subjects, but I am not invincible. I cannot take on the entire Griffon armies by myself.”

“But why would you have to?” Carter asked. “What about Equestira’s military? The Royal Guard?”

“As I said, the last war in Equestria was a thousand years ago. Our soldiers are well trained, and certainly capable, but none of them have ever seen true combat. In an actual war, I am afraid that they wouldn’t be enough. In short, if the Griffons invade, then Equestria is incapable of defending itself.” Celestia’s horn dimmed, and the globe disappeared. “That is where you come in.”

Emile grinned. “I get it. When the Griffons invade, you want us to push them back. Each of us is a one-man army, and you want us to defend Equestria for you.”

To Emile’s surprise, Celestia shook her head. “For the same reason that I cannot protect Equestria, I am afraid you cannot either. The Griffons are numerous, and you would be overwhelmed. No, I don’t expect you to win a war against the Griffons.” Celestia paused to look each Spartan in the eye. “I expect you to prevent it.”

The Spartans reacted with various levels of confusion, but Kat and Six were the first to catch her meaning. “The Civil War.” Kat said comprehensively, as Six nodded in agreement. “We fight on the side of the Loyalists, help them defeat Garrison and the Ultranationalists. Then, Equestria is safe, at least assuming the Loyalists are allies of Equestria.”

Celestia nodded. “They are. You are exactly correct; I plan to periodically send you on missions to assist the Loyalists. With your help, I hope for them to defeat the Rebels and reclaim power throughout the Empire.”

The Spartans took a moment to digest this new information, but Carter looked to the Princess with concern. “There is one thing that worries me.” He said pensively. “For us to get involved in another country’s Civil War, especially as members of Equestria’s military, you would need the support of the entire Government, including your Parliament. But, we just got here, there is no way you’ve already gotten our involvement approved.”

Celestia frowned. “Yes, that is correct. You see, I had previously pleaded a case to Parliament asking them to allow me to send troops to the Griffon Kingdoms, but it was denied. I intend to send you into combat without the approval of Parliament.” The Spartans grew wide-eyed at this statement, and she continued, “Any operations you carry out will be completely confidential. You will report solely to me, and any mention of this to anypony, will be considered high treason.” Celestia’s expression saddened as she finished, “And of course, should any of you be captured in the course of these operations, Equestria will deny any involvement with your actions.”

For a minute, there was silence. Each Spartan digested this new information, debating over their response. Emile was the first to respond. “So let me get this straight.” He said. “You want us to become a black-ops squad, fighting another nation’s Civil War for them, all the while without the approval of the Government, where capture could mean being left at the hands of the enemy with no hope for rescue?” Celestia nodded uncertainly, and Emile’s expression broke into a roguish grin. “I’m in.”

Emile’s response surprised Celestia, and she gave a small laugh, looking to the remaining Spartans for their reaction. Carter looked to his subordinates, silently asking their opinions. Jorge answered evenly, “If it’s for the sake of Equestria, I have no problem with it.” Jun and Kat gave their own affirmations for much the same reason, and Carter finally looked to Six.

The Spartan simply shrugged. “Wouldn’t be my first deniable op.”

Satisfied that his team held no objections, Carter gave an affirmative nod. Celestia grinned, satisfied that her newest soldiers were willing. “Very well. I see no better time to induct you into Equestria’s military. You will be considered agents of the Royal Clandestine Service. And, for ‘previous service rendered’, I shall award you with the ranks you held previously within the UNSC. Please step forward.” The Spartans did so, forming a line before the Princess.

Celestia stepped forward, stopping in front of Carter. “I hereby dub you the Guardian of Leadership, and the Steadfast Commander of Noble.” She then bent her head, tapping her horn on each of the Commander’s shoulders, before proceeding to Kat.

“I dub you the Guardian of Strategy, and the True Genius of Noble.” Celestia repeated the gesture. Tapping each shoulder with her horn, and proceeding to each of the Spartans in turn.

“I dub you the Guardian of Duty, and the Vigilant Eye of Noble.”

“I dub you the Guardian of Fury, and the Merciless Wrath of Noble.”

“I dub you the Guardian of Hope, and the Fighting Spirit of Noble.”

“I dub you the Guardian of Courage, and the Lone Wolf of Noble.”

With these last words, Celestia drew back from the newly dubbed Guardians, and smiled. “You are now the designated protectors of both Equestria, and the Elements of Harmony. I will have one of my guards to take you to your quarters. You are dismissed.” The Spartans gave their new Commander-in-Chief a firm salute, before turning and proceeding to the door.

The glow around the doors disappeared, and they swung open. Celestia followed Noble to the doorway, before turning to one of the guards and instructing him to lead Noble to the Guard Barracks. The guard saluted, and signaled for Noble to follow him before marching down a hallway away from Celestia’s quarters. Noble Team followed, and Celestia watched them depart before turning and walking back into her quarters, the doors swinging shut behind her.

After a few minutes, Noble had reached the Barracks. The guard gave Carter a stiff salute, before turning and heading back to the Princess’ quarters. The Spartans turned and proceeded into the Barracks, and were met with the sight of a few dozen cots, a footlocker placed beneath each one and most of them showing signs of use. “Alright, Noble.” Carter began. “Find a spot and catch some shut-eye. We’ve had a… strange day.” The Spartans nodded, and quickly fanned out to find a cot to flop onto.

Following their example, Carter found a seemingly empty cot and pulled himself onto it. Turning onto his side, Carter listened as the groans of protest signaled his teammates doing the same.

Suddenly, the last few hours caught up with Carter in a massive wave of exhaustion, and within minutes he fell into a dreamless sleep.


Author’s Note: Hey there, everypony! Well, here it is! The next chapter of The Noble Guardians! I hope you enjoyed it, and let me give some credit to E3gner, my new editor! Also, for the record, from now on it’ll be unlikely for a chapter to be longer than 6000-7000 words, unless it has a fight scene within. If you have any questions/concerns, let me know in the comments!