• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 18,738 Views, 1,174 Comments

The Noble Guardians - nobreiner



There is a legend. A legend of six heroes, but they are not the Elements of Harmony. They are Noble.

  • ...
61
 1,174
 18,738

Engaged

Twilight trudged through the forest, her horn bathing the area ahead of them in soft reddish-purple light, guiding them down the path that lead deeper into the foreboding woods. Behind her, the delicate hoofsteps along with the soft Boing Boing of joyful bouncing confirmed that her friends were still following diligently behind. Her ears perked up with interest as a new sound cut through the silence of the forest, but quickly lowered in disappointment as she realized what it was: Rarity was yawning.

“Honestly, Twilight. I have no idea why this couldn’t wait until morning. A lady like me needs her beauty sleep.” Rarity complained, lifting a hoof to rub the tiredness from her eyes.

“Oh, Rarity!” Answered Pinkie Pie, showing no signs of fatigue herself. “You don’t need any beauty sleep! You look plenty beautiful already!”

Blushing, Rarity replied, “While I appreciate the comment, darling, you’re kind of missing the point. You see, I-“

“Girls, I hate to interrupt, but can we please focus?” Said the lavender mare. As the two gave her a synchronized “Sorry Twilight.” In response, Twilight sighed. “I’m sorry, girls. I’m just a little on edge, what with this meteorite situation and all.”

“But Twilight, what’s the big deal?” Asked Pinkie Pie, cocking her head to one side in confusion. “I mean, shooting stars land in Equestria all the time, right?”

“Well, yes Pinkie Pie, they do.” Said Twilight. “But it was something about this one that definitely worries me.”

“Yes I believe you mentioned that back in Ponyville.” Added Rarity. “Something about it having a large amount of magic?”

Twilight nodded. “An extremely large amount. More than any object, magical or not, should have. The only other time I have felt that much concentrated magic in one place was when…” She trailed off.

“When what, darling?” Said Rarity, leaning closer to Twilight.

“When we used the Elements of Harmony.” She finished, causing both Rarity and Pinkie to gasp slightly. The Elements of Harmony were the most powerful magical objects in all of Equestria. Their power rivaled that of even Celestia herself. This revelation made both mares realize Twilight’s concerns. The idea of something more powerful than the Princess suddenly falling out of the sky was definitely worth worrying about.

“What do you think this means, Twilight?” Asked Pinkie, her normally chipper tone tinged with uncertainty.

“I don’t know Pinkie, but that’s what we’re here to find out.” Twilight said resolutely, before, lifting her gaze and quickening her pace, heading deeper into the cursed forest.

They continued on in relative silence, ‘relative’ due to the fact that Pinkie continued to ramble on about the possible things they might find at the crash site. “Aliens. It’s gotta be aliens, I mean, who ever heard of a magical rock? I hope it is aliens, cause then I get to throw that alien welcome party I mentioned back in town. Remember that, everypony was acting crazy like ‘The Horror, the Horror!’ but I knew it was probably just aliens, coming here to meet us! And have cake! Or cupcakes! Or Flan! I like Flan, do you girls? I bet you would its really good, plus it’s really fun to say! Flan, Flan, FlanFlanFlanFlan-“

“PINKIE PIE!”

“Yes, Twilight?” Pinkie asked, fluttering her eyelashes innocently.

Twilight sighed again. “Pinkie, would you mind keeping quiet for a little while? I’m just as excited to see this object as you are –well, maybe not that excited- but it’s still the middle of the night, and we’re very tired.”

Oh, okay. Gotcha!” With that Pinkie mimed zipping her mouth closed, followed by a series of gestures that Twilight was frankly too tired to decipher. Focusing instead on the path ahead, Twilight was met with the unfortunate discovery that during their conversation, they had wandered off the path, and the three mares had somehow found themselves in the middle of an empty clearing. Looking around desperately for a path, Twilight was rewarded instead with an unfortunate discovery. They were lost.

Twilight groaned in frustration. “Oh, how could this get any worse?” She was answered by the sound of multiple low growls, emanating from all around her. The three terrified mares began wildly searching for the source of the noise, and quickly discovered its source. All around them, slowly making their way into the clearing were no less than a dozen Timberwolves. The three mares slowly turned to stand back to back, as the Timberwolves began to stalk ever closer, moving in for the kill.

“Twilight…” Pinkie Pie said, fear permeating her normally bubbly tone.

“Stay close to me, girls.” Said Twilight. Then, her horn steadily began to grow brighter and brighter, finally culminating in a bright flash of magic, and the three mares were suddenly enveloped in a magical shield, a bubble of magenta energy separating them from the ravenous Timberwolves. Unfortunately, while the Timberwolves were taken aback by this sudden display of magic, they didn’t pause in their advance. Soon they had approached the shield, and were experimentally lunging at it, bouncing off the surface but failing to pierce the mystical bubble.

“Good work, darling.” Said Rarity, regarding the attacking Timberwolves with distaste. “That ought to keep those brutes out.”

Twilight, still pouring energy into keeping the shield up, responded, “Not for long. I don’t know how long this shield will hold. It’s going to break eventually, and when it does…” The three ponies shuddered at the thought. Outside the sphere, the Timberwolves continued to bite and claw at the bubble, each blow causing Twilight to have to pour more energy into keeping the shield stable.

“What do we do?” Asked Pinkie, the growing fear evident in the slight quaver to her voice.

“I… I don’t know.” Responded Twilight. They were in over their heads, she realized. They needed help. Wait…Help! Quickly gathering whatever strength she could muster that wasn’t being poured into maintaining the shield, Twilight sucked in a breath and bellowed, “HEEEEEELP!”

The shout, amplified by Twilight’s magic, blasted outwards, forcing Rarity and Pinkie Pie to cover their ears, and causing the Timberwolves to cringe in pain, before returning to their attack on the shield with an even greater vigor. Twilight prayed that somepony somewhere had heard her cry. Though knowing how far they were into the forest, she doubted that anypony had heard her.

For a tense, agonizing minute, the ponies waited, desperately hoping that their cry for help would be answered. Meanwhile, Twilight’s shield was beginning to falter. The energy required to maintain the shield, along with that of the magical shout and her own previous fatigue, had left Twilight with her legs shaking and her magic flickering as her exhaustion finally took its toll.

“Girls… I can’t…” Twilight whimpered, tears forming in her eyes.

“No, Twilight!” Rarity exclaimed. “Please, you just have to hold on!”

“I can’t…” Twilight felt a tear trail down her cheek. “I’m sorry.”

With that, the shield flickered, before collapsing completely. Twilight sobbed, expecting the Timberwolves to begin tearing her apart, but it never came. Instead, she heard a male voice shouting, “NOBLE, ENGAGE!” Before finally succumbing to her exhaustion, and slipping into unconsciousness.


Carter led the charge as Noble Team made their way to the source of the cry for help. He was at first surprised at how comfortable he was running on all fours, but dismissed it. It was different from when he had first received his augmentations. There was no rediscovering his own capabilities, he felt perfectly comfortable in this new body. It unsettled him, but he was thankful that it didn’t slow him down. Casting a glance behind him, he found that the rest of Noble seemed to be equally capable at following him.

Refocusing his attention ahead, he became aware of a loud growling and barking issuing from the same direction they were headed. Grunting in exertion, he pressed ahead even faster.

Within a minute the growls had grown to be nearly deafening, and as Carter burst through a copse of trees and into a clearing, he was met with a strange sight.

As the rest of Noble rushed up beside him, Carter heard Jun quip, “Well, looks like we found the rest of the pack.”

It was true. Before them were a dozen more of the wooden wolves, snarling and snapping at the object in the center, and it was this that drew Carter’s attention. At the center of the clearing, and the target of the wooden wolves, was a glowing, magenta sphere of energy.

“What is that?” Asked Kat.

“It looks like some sort of drop shield.” Answered Six.

Carter was quick to analyze the situation, and turned to Noble. “That shield won’t hold for long. We need to help whoever's inside.” He turned to Jorge, pointing at the SPARTAN-II with a foreleg. “Jorge, you take point. Scatter them, and keep them away from that shield.” He turned to the other members of Noble, and continued, “The rest of you, on me, behind Jorge. After he scatters them, we take them out. Understood?” The assembled Spartans nodded in confirmation, and Carter turned back toward the shield, to find it flickering dangerously. Just as the shield gave out, Carter raised a foreleg and shouted, “NOBLE, ENGAGE!

As one the Spartans rushed forward, Jorge in the lead, towards the mass of wolves. Thankfully, Carter’s shout had drawn the attention of the wolves, momentarily distracting them from their now defenseless prey. As Jorge approached the nearest wolf, he reared up on his hind legs. He then gave a roar of fury, bringing them down on an unfortunate wolf. His legs impacted solidly on the creature’s back, and with the sound of shattering wood, reduced its spine to splinters.

Pushing past the now limp corpse, Jorge kicked away any wolves surrounding the figures in the center of the circle, before regarding them, his jaw dropping open in shock. Before him lay what could only be described as three Technicolor horses, roughly half his size and regarding him with amazement and fear.

His moment of shock cost him, however, as he felt a weight suddenly press itself onto his back. One of the wolves had pounced on him, and was now scrabbling at his back, its razor sharp claws and teeth making quick work of his shields, but unable to so much as scratch the armor beneath. Bellowing furiously, Jorge reared up on his hinds legs before throwing himself backwards, crushing the poor wolf into kindling as he landed. Rolling to his feet, Jorge turned his back to the now dumbstruck pair of horses, and prepared to face the wolves still pressing toward him.

Emile, meanwhile, had immediately attempted to draw his kukri, and after a moment of realization, looked to his foreleg in shock as he saw that he was successful. His kukri was somehow connected to the flat surface of his foot. Inspecting it closely, Emile realized that on the surface of his foot was what appeared to be one of the magnetic clips usually reserved for his holsters. Grinning wickedly, Emile turned to face the mass of wolves. He waded into the fray swinging his kukri in broad, sweeping strokes; lopping the legs off of any wolves he could reach, before ending their misery with a brutal curb stomp.

Jun had reached a similar conclusion with his own combat knife, and was now delivering surgical cuts to the tendons and nerves of the wolves’ legs, crippling them and allowing him to finish them off with a clean slice across their necks. The wings on his back, while clumsy at first, soon allowed him to evade any attacks the wolves countered with.

Kat meanwhile was using her artificial leg to full advantage, catching the lunge of one wolf, and allowing it to snap its jaws shut on the solid metal of her prosthetic leg. The unfortunate beast’s teeth shattered on the outstretched limb and it fell back, whimpering. Kat then brought her metal foreleg down hard on the wolf’s wooden head, reducing it to a pulp with one blow.

Six was a blur, flitting from one wolf to the next, shattering limbs with solid strikes to the joints, before wrapping her hooves around their necks and wrenching them to one side, snapping them with a series of dry cracks. She seemed to be using her wings much more comfortably than Jun, using them to flip around the attacking wolves, opening them up to strikes from behind.

Carter had unfortunately attracted the attention of the largest of the group, no doubt the pack leader. The wolf was larger than himself, and the two circled each other, waiting for the other to strike first. Once again, Carter’s patience won out, and the wolf lunged at Carter. The Spartan was prepared, however, and sidestepped the charge. As the Alpha stumbled to the ground, Carter promptly rushed forward and jabbed one foreleg out, landing a solid punch to the creature’s jaw. The wolf recoiled from the blow, and quickly countered with a bite to his foreleg. Thankfully, Carter’s shields held, and the Alpha’s jaws skated off its slick surface. This caused the wolf to overbalance, and come crashing to the ground. Capitalizing on this opening, Carter leapt onto the Alpha’s back, wrapping his forelegs around its neck.

The wolf howled in rage and began bucking wildly in an attempt to throw him off, but Carter held strong. He tightened his hold, in the hopes of choking the beast out, but this proved fruitless. The wooden structure of the wolf’s neck offered no give, and Carter’s attempts to strangle it only served to anger it more. Desperate now to end the struggle, Carter reached as far around the Alpha’s neck as he could, ensuring a solid grip before wrenching sharply to the side. The motion failed to snap the beast’s thick neck, but did knock the wolf off of its feet, sending both itself and Carter crashing onto their sides. Carter’s grip didn’t waver, despite the rough landing, and he immediately recovered. Leaping to his feet while simultaneously maintaining his grip on the Alpha’s neck, Carter braced himself on two legs and began pulling with all his might to one side. The Alpha thrashed and jerked, desperately attempting to escape the Spartan’s grip, whimpering as Carter bent its neck further and further. Then, with the wolf’s head nearly perpendicular to its body, Carter gave one last heave, and with a solid Crunch the wolf went limp.

Panting heavily, Carter slowly got to his feet, and observed the rest of Noble. At first glance, it seemed that the wolves had failed to leave any mark on the Spartans. The soldiers were, like him, breathing heavily, but appeared otherwise unhurt. Looking over to Jorge and the civilians, he was curious at their appearance, but dismissed it in favor of examining them for injury. The Pink and White ones were unharmed, and were staring at the Spartans in open-mouthed shock. As he watched, he saw the White one slowly raise a foreleg to shut the mouth of the Pink one. Beside them, lay another of the figures. This one had a lavender coat, and was slumped over, unconscious.

Worrying for the lavender figure’s health, he stepped forward. Immediately, the other two leapt in front of him, blocking his access to the lavender figure. Then, to his amazement, they opened their mouths and began to speak, in clear English no less.

“Stay back, you ruffian!” Said the white one in a cultured, if aggressive, voice.

“Yeah you Big Robot Metal Meanie McMetalpants!” The pink one spoke in a high-pitched, bubbly tone.

Carter gaped at the two figures before him. He wasn’t sure which was more surprising, the fact that they were talking, or their appearance in general. The two figures standing defiantly before Carter could only be described as miniature horses, with four legs terminating in round hooves, and from their heads and rears sprouted long collections of hair, manes and tails, if he remembered correctly. The white one’s mane was violet, and appeared to be styled with at least ten different types of products. The pink one’s mane, however, was vastly different. Her fuchsia mane was poofy, giving it the look of a pile of cotton candy, and was so full of knots and tangles even Carter found himself wishing to give it a good combing. He also noted that on the white horse’s head was an ivory horn identical to Kats, minus the color.

Jorge, sensing that the mares were distrustful of Carter, turned toward them and said, “It’s alright; we just want to help her. Make sure she’s okay.” The two mares fearfully looked from Carter to Jorge, and back again, before stepping back and allowing Carter access to the unconscious mare.

Stepping forward, Carter kneeled down to examine the mare, and took in her characteristics. Her coat was soft lavender, and her straight-cut mane was a dark indigo, with a long pink stripe running through the middle, like some sort of highlight. Upon her forehead, poking through her bangs was another fluted horn.

Minding the watchful stares of the two mares behind him, Carter gently laid a foreleg on her neck, but struggled to find a pulse through his armor. Instead, he lowered his head to rest just above her mouth, and was relieved to hear her gentle breathing through his helmet’s speakers.

Turning back to the two mares, Carter said, “She seems to be stable, she’s just passed out.” Both mares gave sighs of relief, and he continued, “We should still get her out of this forest. Is there somewhere we can go?”

The Pink horse immediately perked up, exclaiming, “Ooh, I know! We can go back to Ponyville! I’m sure everypony’ll like you robots!” Carter blanched, confused at both the pink mare’s words and the exuberant attitude with which she said them. Ponyville? Is this some sort of joke? And did she call us robots?

Deciding things would go easier if both parties explained the situation to each other, Carter responded with, “We’re not robots, this is just armor.”

The pink pony scoffed. “Yeah, right! I can see through that in a jiffy! Just look!” She then, at a speed that left Carter dumbfounded, zipped over to Kat and lifted her prosthetic leg in her hooves. “See? A robot!” She said.

Kat humphed and yanked her leg out of the pink mare’s grip. “I am not a robot, that arm is prosthetic. It is a fake to replace the real one.” The pink mare gasped in surprise, before apologizing profusely, and zipping back to stand next to the white mare. Kat grumbled darkly, but said nothing in response. Carter mentally noted to talk to her about that after this was over, after he had dealt with Jorge.

Turning back to the waiting mares, he said, “We need to get out of this forest. Is this ‘Ponyville’ close by?” The two horses looked to the unconscious mare between them, and an uncertain expression crossed their faces. However, they seemed to come to unspoken decision, and gave Carter a nod.

“We can lead you there, but you have to promise us you won’t hurt anypony.” The white one said firmly. Carter nodded in agreement. “Good, but unfortunately I’m afraid we’re a bit lost, so we might-“

“Oh, we’re not lost, Rarity!” The pink mare suddenly piped up, smiling. “Ponyville is thataway!” She gestured off into the forest. The white one looked confused for a moment, but didn’t question her.

Satisfied that the mares were willing to guide them Ponyville, Carter pointed at the unconscious mare and said, “Jorge, carry her.” The Spartan complied, carefully nudging the lavender pony onto his back, and together Noble and the three ponies began marching into the forest, heading toward Ponyville.


Author’s Note: Okay, that’s another chapter done! And in less than twelve hours, too! I hope you enjoyed the fight scene; I tried to give each member of Noble team his or her own personal style. Expect some more exposition in the next chapter, as Twilight awakens to discover her saviors, and see Noble team’s introduction to Ponyville! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I’ll see you in the next one!