• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 1,469 Views, 27 Comments

Alien vs. Pony - Scriber

  • ...
4
 27
 1,469

One - Status

Part one
-contact

“Sweet Celestia...what is that thing?!”

-------------------------------------

20 days, 17 hours after the launch of the Neighstromo

As Twilight eyed the date on the digital display inside her pod, she was immediately annoyed.

"This isn't right. We're way too early! What's going on here?"

“Oh, um...hi, Twilight...”

“Fluttershy? Is that you?”

“Mm-hmm. We have, um...a bit of an emergency, so if youcouldhurryupandgetouthere-” she spoke, her words becoming more and more rushed and eventually blending together.

Struggling for only a moment to free herself, Twilight Sparkle emerged from the stasis pod with sudden haste.

“What do you mean, ‘emergency’? Oh my gosh, is everypony ok?! There wasn’t a malfunction in the life support system or anything, was there?!”

“...a what?!”

Temporarily forgetting her obligations, the frenzied mare started teleporting herself all over the ship, despite her now-pounding headache. It wasn’t until her fifth or sixth attempt that there it was right in front of her - the massive, ragged tear in the steel that Fluttershy had described.

Stifling the urge to scream in frustration, Twilight tried to think on the bright side of things.

“Well...well, at least the protection spell held. Heh.” She could do a full damage assessment with the help of Mother in a few moments; now, back to the stasis pods. With a brief pop! and a sudden flash of purple light, she was gone.

Not surprisingly, Rainbow Dash was the last of them to fully awake from the magically-induced stasis. Not even attempting to cover a massive yawn, she stretched her limbs as her wings unfurled, her hooves deftly undoing the various clasps and wires attached to her various extremities.

“Good, everypony is awake. How are we all feeling girls? Any nausea, lightheadedness, that sort of thing?” Twilight asked.

“I must admit, I am sporting a bit of a headache,” Rarity said. Applejack and Pinkie Pie grunted in agreement.

“Oh! Um, there should be medicine in the first aid kit,” Fluttershy offered.

“I’ll get it,” Pinkie Pie croaked in a thready voice.

“Ok. That’s just a side effect of the hibernation, and it should fade within the next twelve hours or so. But right now, while I have everypony’s attention - we have a bit of an emergency on our hooves. Something impacted the Neighstromo while we slept, causing a good bit of damage to the hull. Fortunately, the protection spell held; otherwise, I doubt we’d be able to be conversing so calmly. If everypony could please meet me on the bridge when you feel well enough, I’ll debrief you - I need to go speak with Mother.”

“You got it, Twi’,” Applejack said. “We’ll meetchya there in a jiff.”

“Thanks, girls.” With that, Twilight was off - on her hooves, this time, as she did not want to tax her headache any further.

As she galloped as quickly as she could down the long, metal corridor that led to Mother, Twilight’s mind was already racing.

Oh sweet Celestia, I hope it’s nothing too serious...what’s the protocol in the event of a strike, again? Systems analysis, then damage assessment...or is it the other way around?

These are the sorts of thoughts that swirled throughout her head as she traversed the distance between the stasis bay and the AI core.

---------

“Hello, Ms. Sparkle. I have detected damage to the ship’s exterior. Would you like me to initiate a full systems analysis?”

“Yes, please.”

“Access granted. Scanning...” The words hung on the screen for a beat. “Systems analysis complete. Crystal reserves are at 85%, decreasing at a rate of .866% per hour. Recommend termination of secondary and tertiary systems to conserve power. Do you wish to proceed?”

“Not just yet, Mother. How are communications? Can we send a message back to Equestria?”

“Scanning...negative. Communications array showing non-recoverable structural damage. Recommend sending qualified technician to make repairs.”

Twilight cursed softly under her breath. Perhaps things were worse than she first thought.

“Mother, what were we hit with?”

“Unknown at this time.”

“Gee, thanks...”

“You are welcome, Ms. Sparkle.”

“No, I didn’t mean - ugh, nevermind. That will be all for now, Mother.”

Twilight surveyed her options. The fact alone that communications were for the moment unavailable was a bit unprecedented; she, along with Princess Luna had taken every reasonable precaution to ensure the Neighstromo's preparedness in any given emergency scenario. It was somewhat distressing, Twilight admitted to herself, to be without contact; the Princess would certainly know what to do in this situation, and might even be able to give some manner of helpful insight into what, precisely, had struck the ship.

Twilight pictured the wreckage in her mind's eye, and all she came up with was a sense of disbelief. What were the chances that a derelict craft, a remnant from Equestria's far-off history, could strike the Neighstromo?