• Published 14th Nov 2017
  • 971 Views, 32 Comments

Forever Twilight - BlazzingInferno



Belvedere awoke to a misery he couldn’t explain. Twilight awoke in a world she didn’t recognize.

  • ...
1
 32
 971

Nightfall

Belvedere peered over the nearest architect’s shoulder, smiling at the grand entrance hall the unfinished sketch represented. “Add a flourish to the column bases, something in metal.”

The architect glanced up from his hunched-over position that had stained his snout with graphite. “Metal? But the columns are marble, sir.”

“Exactly. They need a modern touch, something that says we’re not trapped in the stone age.”

A collective chuckle issued from the other architects filling the room, each one hunched over their own drafting table.

“You mean we’re not doing a Canterlot Castle replica? I have to start over now!” one of them shouted, eliciting a fresh wave of laughs.

Belvedere rolled his eyes. “You want to pay for an army of stonemasons, you take it up with the Fillydelphia planning commission. This is their civic center we’re talking about.”

The office door opened, and Cornice trotted in with fresh cups of coffee balanced on her outstretched wings. “Who needs a pick-me-up?”

She tossed a cup to Belvedere before he could say a word. The cup sailed through the air, as graceful as a butterfly, before his magic caught it. “Thanks, Cornice.”

She gave him a nod before addressing the rest of the room in her motherly, singsong tone. “Come and get caffeinated, ponies! Don’t make me drink it all myself!”

Belvedere stepped aside as the thirsty mob descended on his secretary. “Ten workable drafts, and it’s not even two yet. Not bad.”

“Mr. Belvedere, sir?”

He turned to the corner desk and found Miss Brace staring at him. “Yes? Is something wrong?”

She batted her eyes. “Oh, no. I’m just curious about how your day’s going. We’ve been working on this same project for a week, and you’ve been on your hooves for most of that.”

He grinned. “Isn’t it great? We’re really pushing the envelope on this one, combining classical and modern stylistic touches… I can’t wait to show the full portfolio to our clients tomorrow.”

She beamed at him. “That’s great! But what about… tonight? Do you have any plans? I heard the princesses are doing a big thing with the moon, and I know this hill just out of town with an amazing view…”

“I’ll probably spend the night doing paperwork, assuming today goes smoothly.”

“Is that… all? What would you be doing if it wasn’t for paperwork?” She arched an eyebrow.

“Drafting,” he said with a smile, “Once I get started, I can lose a whole day sketching out new concepts for façades or interior layout… Sometimes I even try designing playground equipment, just to change things up. Architecture’s what I live for.”

Cornice tapped him on the back. “Coffee, Mr. B. Remember?”

“Right, right—” he raised the cup to his lips and took a sip “—how about you? Any big plans?”

Miss Brace smiled faintly and returned to her work. “Oh, nothing exciting, I guess. Thanks, Mr. Belvedere.”

He took a long drink, savoring the wonderful mix of well-brewed coffee and well-spent graphite. Life couldn't get any better.

---

Belvedere’s cheek hammered against the hardwood floor. He kicked his sweat-soaked back legs, which were wrapped up tight in the twisted bedsheets. Crickets chirped outside the nearby window, serenading the moon hanging in the night sky. “Ugh… What time is—?”

Something swelled in his throat, a sudden and inescapable ache bubbling up from his heart like a torrent of stomach acid. He opened his mouth to groan, but only a sob escaped. Tears came with a ferocity that he hadn’t experienced since his parents’ deaths, and his whole body shook as if he was on the cusp of joining them in the ground.