• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 6,802 Views, 497 Comments

No Hugs for Sugar Crush - FerociousCreation



If a bat pony offered you a hug, would you accept it? Apparently, Mineral Water would not hesitate to deny Sugar Crush one.

  • ...
16
 497
 6,802

Lady Killer

The light in Mineral’s workshop quickly vanished as he flicked the switch and exited the room. He walked up the stairs with haste, his heart inflated by a dozen butterflies.

Just as Mineral passed by Nebula’s painting, the mare in the picture asked, “What’s got you so excited, Mr. Crazy?”

The stallion stopped and creased his brows at the image. “Could you not?”

Nebula smiled as bright as the backdrop in her picture. “No need to be like that! I’m just curious is all.” She winked at Mineral, “I know you are thinking about Sugar. And don’t worry, I’m not jealous of her.”

“If you were jealous, you would put the literal interpretation of a guilty conscious to another level,” Mineral joked.

The mare giggled, “Alright Mini, tell me what has you so energetic. Normally, you work much later. However, you’ve only worked for eight hours.”

Mineral saw his flushed face off the emerald wall’s reflection. “Even you are starting to use Sugar’s nickname she has for me.”

“Why not? I know she is the reason for your lack of a full day’s worth of work. So let’s talk about her, shall we?”

“I wouldn’t mind.” Mineral walked into the living room and sprawled onto the couch. “I hope you don’t mind talking from where you are,” he called back to Nebula.

“Don’t worry about me. I know you need to relax.” Mineral followed some of the lines that ran across his ceiling with his eyes, finding random images as he searched. “What has you so excited?” Nebula repeated.

A pillow from the opposite side of the couch floated over to Mineral. The stallion claimed it and cradled it close to his chest. “My eventual date,” he said. “And for some reason, I cannot shake the anticipation.”

“Where are you going to take her?”

Mineral looked down at the pillow, imagining it was Sugar. “To the Crystal Fayre. I wanted to give her a date that goes on for several days.”

“That’s so cute!” Nebula squealed. “Wait… Can you have an ongoing date or just have multiple dates spaced out with the same mare?”

“I don’t think it matters,” Mineral shrugged. “But here lies my problem: the fayre is a month away!”

“Then just take her to another restaurant. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Mineral gripped the pillow, “Yes there is! I have my mind set for the fayre. I want to get as much work done so she and I can have no interruptions; think of it as a vacation from work. I want to show Sugar I can set time aside for her by going the extra length.” He rolled onto his belly with the pillow under him. “And I want to truly confess my feelings to her on one of the nights during the fayre.”

Another giggle rippled through the home. “I think it is obvious how much you two love each other.”

“But I want to make the moment perfect for her!” Mineral crawled off the couch and started to pace around it. “Sugar is the reason why I have changed so much in these last two months. She deserves the best out of me.”

“Then why do you sound so miserable about it?”

Like a foal, Mineral whined, “Because I don’t want to wait for the Crystal Fayre! I just want to tell her everything now!”

The picture frame violently rocked, “Then pony up and go tell her!” Nebula grunted, “Seriously Mineral, do you remember how this morning played out? Sugar was so happy to be asked on an official date by you. She even wanted you to hold her and she gave you a kiss. Twice!”

Mineral returned to the picture with Nebula’s frustrated stare pinning him down. “The signs are there! Think of the many times Sugar enjoys being close to you. And I mean very close to you.” Nebula shook her head, “Don’t torment yourself any longer.” A comforting smile grew on Nebula, “Remember what I used to tell you: don’t hesitate, just commit.”

The stallion was very hesitant. “Are you sure it would be a good idea just to go to Sugar and simply tell her how I feel?”

Yes!” Nebula answered with an exaggerated nod. “You wouldn’t have asked Sugar on a date if you didn’t want to be with her. But don’t wait anymore! If you want to prove anything, then prove to yourself that you are willing to commit to the pony you love the most by just telling Sugar the truth.”

Mineral felt his confidence begin to warm itself in his breast. Everything that he and Sugar had done together forced his heart to flutter. But despite the nervous tickling, Mineral had made up his mind. “You are right, Nebula. I shouldn’t be held back by a date. If… If the signs are that obvious, then I will… I will go over to her work right now and confess my love to Sugar Crush!”

“That’s what I like to hear!” Nebula cheered. The thestral started to fly about the painting’s background as she “eee’d” with glee.

With confidence in his steps, Mineral Water marched upstares and entered the bathroom. If he was going to tell the truth, Mineral was going to look good while he did it.

***

The Crystal Empire’s stadium place to find, considering it was the large, bulky building branching off the city's streets. As Rarity and Pinkie Pie discussed how to approach Saradiamond and Steadfast without bringing up too much sensitive material, Spike clasped his claws behind his back as he walked. The embarrassing memory of horribly singing the Cloudsdale Anthem during the Equestria Games vividly projected within his mind. Spike only continued to hope nopony would not it up.

“And remember, Rarity,” Pinkie Pie concluded, “no mentioning Mineral Water to Saradiamond. Sugar doesn’t want her to know about him.”

“Oh! You are right!” Rarity placed a hoof on her chest and sighed, “I knew I had this feeling that I was forgetting something.”

No longer interested in embarrassing memories, Spike jumped into the conversation. “Didn’t you say earlier that you were still suspicious of Sugar Crush being the friendship problem after we left the bakery?” he asked Pinkie Pie.

“Oh, totally!” Pinkie beamed.

“But why?”

The pink mare rolled her eyes, “It’s so obvious! Why would Sugar want to be secretive about Mineral to Saradiamond?” She shoved her nose into the air, “There is something odd about Sugar, and I cannot shake this hunch that I am onto.”

Rarity furrowed her brows, “I hope you are still considering everything we just talked about and not bring up Nebula to either of the Vamponies.”

“I’m not!” Pinkie defended. Pinkie crossed her hoof over her chest, flapped her arms, and pulled a cupcake from her mane and pressed it against her eye. “I Pinkie Promise that is not the case!” As she wiped the mush of frosting and breading off with her tail, Pinkie continued, “Friendship problems always tend to present themselves right in front of us. We have some grounds to work with. Which is why we all need to be observant!”

Rarity reached an arm around Pinkie Pie. “And while I am glad you are taking our task very seriously, we have already observed that we’ve asked and brought up many sensitive topics by accident and on purpose. I will only draw conclusions once we are for certain what friendship problem we are looking for.”

Spike nodded, “I agree with Rarity. It’s better to let things play out before we understand the big picture.”

It didn’t please Spike to see Pinkie Pie refuse to let herself smile. “I just worry that if we do allow everything to play out, things might be more difficult to solve. It doesn’t seem right to just allow something to fester until it’s too late.” Pinkie looked between her friends, “I won’t bring up anything Sugar didn’t want us to talk about to Saradiamond. But understand that I don’t want other ponies to have a bad week like I am.”

Spike snapped his claw, “Then use that as motivation, Pinkie!”

“You want me to be worried in order to be motivated?”

“No, no, not like that,” Spike laughed. “I mean focus on preventing a bad week for somepony else.”

His words started to give strength to Pinkie’s lips. “So think of it like another game?” she smiled.

“Yes!” He pointed two claws at Pinkie Pie. “After all, you gotta be prepared for spontaneous games. You said it yourself.”

“You’re right!” Spike had no time to react to Pinkie Pie’s blurring speed as she snatched him into her arms. “Thanks for reminding me of that!”

“And… thanks for… reminding me of your… wonderful hugs.”

Rarity wedged herself between Pinkie and Spike. “Alright, Pinkie. I don’t think the crystal ponies will appreciate it if you broke their hero in two.”

***

The first time Rarity had entered the very daunting Crystal Stadium kept the mare stunned in awe. And it certainly was not the last when she and her friends walked out onto the stands to see the green field at the colosseum's center. The lights beamed down on everypony within the grounds, making the walls, stands, and even the crystal ponies on the field and track gleam. “I must say,” Rarity beamed, “however the crystal ponies did it, this place is certainly impressive to look at.” Her reflection pooled itself onto one of the shiny seats, but the unicorn was not fascinated with it for once and looked away. “Almost as impressive as my own beauty.”

“Good job, Rarity,” Pinkie Pie grinned. “You caught yourself and almost lost your game.”

Spike clasped his claws from behind his back. “Well, I always think you are impressive to look at,” he said, swaying back and forth.

“Aww, how sweet!” Rarity dipped her muzzle and pecked the dragon on the fin. “I wouldn’t mind if you did admire me.” Spike muttered a few chuckles with several inaudible words. “I wouldn’t mind admiring the Great and Glorious hero…” Rarity pointed to the dimly lit sky, “... but we have very little daylight. And I would love to end today on a successful note.”

“Then let’s get down to business!” Pinkie exclaimed with a balled hoof. She looked out to the field and saw several crystal ponies milling about, performing individual exercises from just running around the track, to push-ups on the grass. Pawing her chin, Pinkie Pie muttered, “Now how do we get their attention…?” A single eye looked down at Spike, her grin easily seen. “I think I got the perfect idea…”

“Why- are you looking at me like-”

Without warning, Pinkie Pie snatched Spike off his feet and held him high into the air. “EVERYPONY! LOOK WHO’S HERE! IT’S THE ONE AND ONLY, SPIKE, THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS!”

The activities on the field came to an immediate halt.

“Honestly, Pinkie,” Rarity glared, her ear ringing an obnoxious chime, “you could have warned me instead of screaming right next to me…”

Pinkie bore no guilt on her face for what she had done. “What? You said we need to pick up the pace. And besides, I still haven’t forgotten about Sugar Crush introducing you to Mineral Water. So you should be thanking me for considering my friend.”

A rough clear of the throat distracted the arguing mares. “Can you put me down?” Spike grumbled.

“Sure!”

A blue-indigo pegasus with a messy blonde mane stood silently by with a beam on her face. As carefully as she could, Pinkie Pie leaned over the guardrail and dropped the dragon onto the track. “Be careful with him,” Pinkie said to the mare. “We need Spike back in a bit.”

Rarity sighed and rolled her eyes. “Honestly, Pinkie…” With the deed done, the unicorn looked for back and forth before back down to the same crystal pony who continued to stare at Spike with a flustered gaze. “Excuse me, Miss, but do you know where I can get onto the field.”

The athlete pointed to her right, giving no other input other than the gesture.

A pink arm wrapped around Rarity’s neck. “What are you waiting for? She pointed that way, so let’s go!” Before she had any chance to argue, Rarity was towed along by the overzealous Pinkie Pie.

“Not so rough!”

With the two mares off to find a set of stairs, Spike took a step toward the crystal pony. He had gotten accustomed to how shy mares could be when he got too close. Instead of running right up to her, the dragon smiled, “Don’t worry, I don’t bite like the other dragon’s I know.”

A few giggles seeped through the crack of her lips. “Too bad. Sombra needed somepony to chomp on his flank, but I guess saving us was more important.”

Spike looked around the mare and saw more ponies gravitate toward him. “And too bad I might be taken away by the approaching mob.” He reached out is claw to the pony, “Might I get your name in case I see you around?”

“Mile High,” she smiled. With pride, Mile showed off her impressive wingspan. “I’m one of the Crystal Empire’s elite jousters!”

“Wonderful!” Spike clapped his claws, “Then maybe you can help me before I am carried off.”

“Anything for you!”

With her commitment at the ready, Spike asked, “Do you know if either member of the Vamponies is here?”

“Both are, actually,” Mile nodded. She stepped aside and pointed to two unicorns clad in silver armor standing at the edge of the field. When the pair noticed they were being gestured to, both exchanged a few words before tenaciously approaching.

“Thanks, Mile,” Spike said and shook the pegasus’ pointing hoof. Mile flushed, her eyes looking anywhere but directly at Spike. The dragon broke off from the mare a waved at her. “See ya around!” Before he faced the Vampony members, Spike laughed to himself, The ladies here really appreciate their hero. It’s great to be great!

The athletes around Spike stared at him as he stopped in front of the Vamponies. “Greetings, Great and Glorious Spike!” the golden stallion beamed. "Welcome to the Crystal Empire's humble stadium, home of many friends and fantastic memories."

"Including the moment when Spike stopped the frozen cloud with his powerful fire during the Equestria Games," the teammate added. "Have you seen the mural of your heroism in the Hall of Champions?"

A heavy weight slipped off of Spike's shoulders, glad yet another fond memory was preferred over his terrible butchering of the Cloudsdale Anthom. "I have not, but I will give it a look in a bit." After noting to visit the Hall of Champions, Spike looked to the bulky unicorn, "I assume you are Steadfast.” Steadfast confirmed his answer with a nod. Spike then pointed a claw at the light-blue mare, “That means you must be Saradiamond.”

Unlike the other mares Spike had encountered, Saradiamond was much more composed, though she did not shield her joy. “I am humbled that you know my name.”

“I got my sources.” Spike looked around to see if Rarity and Pinkie Pie found their way onto the field. However, they were not to be seen. Maybe Mile’s vague direction pointing proved less effective. Despite their short absence, Spike knew how to handle himself and the task at hoof. “Do you two have a moment? There is something I’d wish to discuss, but I don’t want to intrude on any possible practice.”

Steadfast looked back at a pony standing by a row of fencing planted at the field's center. “I believe father won’t mind.”

Saradiamond bumped into her teammate, “How about we talk business and practice at the same time?” Spike noticed Saradiamond flutter her eyelashes. “If Spike knows about us through sources, then perhaps we can confirm them through action.”

The dragon scratched his chin, “You know, I haven’t seen exactly how jousting is done. I think we can kill two birds with one stone.”

“Glad you like my idea,” Saradiamond said, planting a hoof on her chest. She spun around, her sapphire tail glittering in a majestic sway. “I will inform Broadside, Steadfast.”

As Saradiamond trotted away, Spike found himself stunned by the crystal pony. Was it her hair? It did remind him of his favorite gemstone. Or was it her strong expression and posture? Spike always liked how Rarity smiles, and Saradiamond replicated the same grin, perhaps even better.

“I see you are taking a liking to my friend,” Steadfast smiled.

“U-uh-” Spike had no chance to recover from the comment and dragged his foot on the dirt track.

“Hehe, don’t be ashamed, my friend. Crystal pony mares are the most beautiful ponies across Equestria.” Steadfast winked, “And I have no doubt you have many candidates, considering your status of being a hero.”

The guy talk rekindled Spike’s mood and the dragon put both claws behind his head, “Yeah, it is awesome being a stud.”

“I cannot wait for your name to be taught across the land,” Steadfast laughed. “The history books will tell the tale of the Great and Glorious Spike, the dragon who had slain the tyrant King Sombra and was known to be a vicious lady killer.”

Spike held up his claw to the stallion, “Heh, I like you, Steadfast.”

“And I am honored.” The two clapped hoof and claw together before heading after Saradiamond. “I must ask, what source brought you know of me and Saradiamond.”

“It was a magazine article from the Bright Spotlight,” Spike answered. “You know, Morganite’s Mission?”

“Ah yes! I remember Morganite. I must admit, it was very flattering to be interviewed.” Steadfast looked to the darkening sky. “To think that our story is shared with modern day Equestria. It makes me feel…” He smiled at the short dragon. “... a strong sense of pride.” The tall unicorn quickly dropped his happiness. “Followed by bitter sadness…”

Spike finally understood how Rarity and Pinkie Pie felt when they brought up upsetting subject matters without knowing it. “I’m sorry if I reminded you of something depressing…”

“You shouldn’t be sorry,” Steadfast shook his head. "My sadness accompanies the fond memories of my old friends. Even if it upsets me, my consciousness refuses to forget them."

Nebula was the first name to come to mind. Spike was curious if he could approach possibly even more sensitive subject matter. Did Steadfast have the friendship problem with her? Surely the crystal pony wouldn't mind telling his hero what was on his mind. But Rarity and Pinkie Pie both agreed to not mention Nebula to either Vampony jousters. However, Spike recalled what Pinkie said earlier by not wanting the eventual friendship problem to fester. "Can... I ask you a question regarding your friends?"

"Anything for you," Steadfast nodded, his grin glittering on his golden face.

What am I doing? Guilt started to stab its stinger into Spike's mind. Despite the headache, the dragon asked, "Are you sure?"

"Sometimes discussing your troubles with somepony is the best way to prevent emotions from bottling up."

It was a wide opening. Spike saw the opportunity to ask about Nebula. And yet, he hesitated. He wasn't sure if he could mention her name. Another detail also bothered Spike. Steadfast mentioned how he missed his friends. Were there more than just Nebula? Perhaps that was the better approach.

“Who were your friends?” Spike asked.

Again, Steadfast looked to the sky. “Nebula and Mineral Water.”