• Published 5th Nov 2017
  • 354 Views, 7 Comments

Friends With a Spy - cakestealer



Vinyl, Octavia, and Derpy may learn some interesting things about each other.

  • ...
 7
 354

Chapter 29 : Not an Optimal Situation

Octavia stood behind Derpy and Vinyl nervously awaiting somepony to open the door. Octavia suddenly, quite clearly heard the sound of hoof steps from inside. Then the hoof steps stopped. The lock on the door twisted with a click. Derpy and Vinyl backed up into Octavia who stumbled backwards. The door opened and a stallion sleepily stood there. Derpy quickly lunged forward, followed by Vinyl, and tackled the stallion to the ground.

Oh I’m supposed to shut the door!

Octavia quickly looked outside then swiftly closed the door. The stallion frantically waved his hooves and tried to yell as Derpy covered his mouth. She pulled out a small needle from a black pouch on her hip and proceeded to poke it into the stallion. His eyes went wide before slowly drifting to sleep. The body of the stallion went limp and Derpy and Vinyl set him down.

“That was a lot easier than I thought.” Derpy blatantly stated.

A single bullet went flying past Derpy and lodged itself in the wall. Vinyl’s eyes went wide and her and Octavia looked at each other. Derpy whipped her head around and peered into the dark where the bullet had come from.

“Do you two see anything?”

“I don't.” Vinyl said shakily.

From the darkness a blinking flash followed by a popping noise erupted. Derpy jumped and tackled Octavia behind a couch where Vinyl had leaped to.

“Did you hear that popping noise? They must have silencers on their guns so none of the neighbors hear.” Derpy whispered.

Octavia peeked over the top of the couch and saw a head poking out from around a corner across the room.

“I'm not sure how to break the news but I think there's more than one pony here who's not too friendly with us.” Octavia said.

Derpy reached into the small pouch tied around her hip and pulled out a small rectangular shape.

“If we can get close enough to one of them slap this on them and it’ll give them a quick zap. Who wants it?”

Vinyl quickly said, “I’ll take it if you don't mind Octy.”

“You can have it Vinyl.”

Vinyl took the rectangle from Derpy and looked at it. Derpy’s ears perked up and she motioned towards her chest then pointed upstairs where the first bullet had came from. She then pointed to Octavia and Vinyl and pointed towards where Octavia had seen another guard. Derpy ran out from behind the safety of the couch and was followed by a storm of bullets. Luckily she got behind a wall where the fire couldn't get her.

“Go!” Derpy yelled at Vinyl and Octavia then ran up the stairs.

The guard upstairs didn't know what to shoot at so Vinyl and Octavia made it to the back of another couch. Derpy grabbed the gun of the pony upstairs and tried to pull it away. Downstairs Vinyl and Octavia both were heavily breathing. Suddenly Vinyl ran out towards the guard Octavia had seen. The guard noticed and tried to get their gun but Vinyl grabbed it. Octavia ran out and punched the guard in the foreleg making her drop the gun.

“Ow!” The guard yelped before turning on Octavia.

She lunged at Octavia who jumped to the side. Octavia grabbed a vase off a small table and hit the guard on the head. She clutched her head but suddenly Vinyl threw a first at the guard’s stomach. A small buzz was heard and the guard fell to the ground.

“Thanks Vinyl.” Octavia panted.

“No problem.” Vinyl chuckled.

A loud thud came from the area over by the railing upstairs.

“Derpy!” Octavia and Vinyl screamed.

Derpy lay on the floor and groaned when Vinyl and Octavia ran over. Octavia tried to see if Derpy was alive but Vinyl was filled with a burning rage.

Oh no, what's Vinyl doing?

“Vinyl what are you doing? Get over here.”

Vinyl silently kept walking up the stairs.

“Vinyl!” Octavia yelled.

Vinyl approached the attacker that had thrown Derpy over the railing. She stopped in front of the guard and tried to throw a punch at their face. Octavia ran upstairs to see Vinyl get knocked over from the stomach. Octavia stopped and stared at the guard in a panic. Vinyl collapsed to the ground and didn't get up. The guard started slowly walking towards Octavia.

What am I supposed to do? Why are they just walking towards me?

Octavia's attacker swung her leg around to kick Octavia. Almost like natural instinct Octavia jumped up just in time to avoid the swing. The attacker stumbled back so Octavia took the chance to do some damage.

The guard stood up and said, “You think one lousy kick will take me out? Let's have a real fight, shall we?”

The guard threw a punch at Octavia who raised her foreleg just in time to block it. Octavia felt an anger growing in her chest.

“One of my friends is down there after getting thrown over this railing and one is on the floor over there. I hope you realize that you can't just do that without a fight.”

“That's just what I wanted to hear.” The guard remarked.

Octavia let her rage loose and shot her hoof furiously at the guard’s chest but the guard blocked it. The guard tried to smack Octavia's head from the side but Octavia ducked down and pushed the guard. Who almost fell over but regained her balance. The guard punched Octavia in the face, causing Octavia to double over. The guard approached Octavia from behind and pulled out a knife to finish the job. Octavia regained her senses and powerfully bucked the guard with her back legs. The guard flew into the wall and broke through it, collapsing to the ground. The section of the wall crumbled where impact had been made.

Holy horse apples! Did I really just do that?

Vinyl groaned and raised her head.

“Vinyl are you okay? You took what looked like a hard punch to the stomach!”

“I don't feel too good Octy. Everything hurts pretty bad. Wait, is Derpy okay?”

“I don't know, I ran upstairs when you came up here.”

“Go check on her then! She got thrown off a railing!”

“Okay, just don't move too much.”

Octavia walked hurriedly down the stairs. She got to Derpy and saw she had her eyes slightly open.

“Derpy, are you okay? You got thrown over the railing.”

“I probably just have to get some rest and I’ll-”

Derpy collapsed as she tried to walk.

“Derpy!” Octavia yelled worriedly.

“Okay, maybe I'm not in the best state right now. What to do, what to do? Oh I know! You remember that pizza place where Cherry Charm works. I think it's near here and she should be there. If you can find her there get her back here and she'll know what to do. Also is Hole Tosses still here?”

I forgot all about him! Is he over-oh no.

“It looks like he woke up and got away at some point.”

“Uh oh. So… don't panic but I think there's two things he could be doing right now. One is getting to wherever Project R.G.R. is and two is that he's getting a guard or two to come arrest his home invaders.”

“Getting the guards! W-what should I do then?” Octavia asked in a panic.

“Just go get Cherry and get back here fast.”

“Okay. But first… Vinyl how are you doing?” Octavia yelled out.

“I’m feeling a little better, I can stand up now.” Vinyl replied.

“Watch Derpy for a bit and I'll try to get back fast.”

“Yeah, I overheard your conversation. Please hurry.”

“I will!” Octavia yelled before racing out the door.

As Octavia rushed in the direction she remembered the pizza restaurant her heart beat fast and her mind raced faster.

What am I going to do if the guards get there before I get back? Is Derpy going to need to go to a hospital? She seemed really hurt.

Octavia could see her destination in the distance. She ran faster and slowed to a walk when she got closer to the restaurant. She opened the door and walked inside. There was a surprising number of customers at this hour but luckily she spotted Cherry Charm in the crowd. She walked quickly over to Cherry right before she went into some sort of back room.

“Cherry, I need to talk to you somewhere private.”

“Oh hi, you're one of Derpy's friends aren't you. Anyway I get off work at 8:00 so lucky for you it's about that time. I'll meet you outside in a minute.”

Cherry disappeared into the back room and Octavia walked outside. She paced around for a minute or two and then Cherry came out.

“So what I needed to talk to you about was-”

“Here just tell me once we get somewhere private.” Cherry said.

Oh right, she really saved me there. No talking about the agency in public. Right, you can't forget that Octavia.

“Okay, follow me.”

Octavia took off and Cherry followed urgently. They raced past many buildings but not many ponies. Once they finally reached the house Octavia opened the door and rushed inside followed by Cherry. She shut the door behind them.

“What happened here?” Cherry said while looking at the hole in the wall upstairs, the broken vase on the ground, and Derpy laying on the couch.

“Long story short, we found the house for the engineer for Project R.G.R. and he had some guards. Also we might be arrested soon.”

“Why in Equestria would you be getting arrested?” Cherry exclaimed.

Derpy said from the couch, “Hole Tosses may or may not have alerted the guards about the home invasion, since he got away. Can you help us get home. I can't stand and Vinyl is having a painful time walking.”

“What happened to you two?”

Vinyl said, “Derpy got thrown over the railing and I took a pretty hard punch to the gut.”

“You know, I thought I was just going to have a regular night. I would get off work go home, watch some TV, and then go to bed. Well, clearly that's not happening. Did you find any information about Project R.G.R.?”

“None of us really thought to look while we were fighting did we?” Derpy said.

“Okay, Octavia do you want to go look for anything while I help patch up these two.”

“Sure.” Octavia answered.

Where to look first? Maybe in an office of some sort.

Octavia wandered around until she found an office looking room. She went in and started looking around. The file cabinets all had lots of files inside them but none of them said anything suspicious. Octavia kept looking for another five minutes or so until she decided this room was empty.

Next stop is… the bedroom perhaps?

She went upstairs where she expected the bedroom to be. Luckily, the bedroom was very easy to find. At first glance nothing seemed like it could have any secrets but eventually Octavia bumped a low hanging picture frame, revealing a small metal door.

What’s this? Here, let's get this picture out of the way.

Octavia took off the picture then opened the small hinged door. The miniature safe in the wall was made of what Octavia guessed was steel. Inside was a bunch of paper.

What a surprise, more paper.

After scooping the paper out of the hole Octavia unrolled a sheet of it.

Wait, this has an address here, I better save this. These other ones have… blueprints. For robots.

Octavia picked up all the papers and ran downstairs.

“What did you find?” Cherry asked.

“I found more blueprints and-” Octavia gasped for breath “some sort of address.”

“Really? If this is what I think then it's gonna be good. But right now I need your help to get these two back to your house.”

Vinyl mumbled, “I think I can make it on my own.” Before standing up and stumbling forwards violently.

“I think I'll help you.” Octavia told Vinyl after seeing that Cherry was already supporting most of Derpy’s weight.

Vinyl wrapped a foreleg around Octavia’s neck. Octavia leaned down and picked up the stack of papers. Cherry held up Derpy and quietly opened the door and looked outside.

“Doesn't look like there's too many ponies out so we should be fine, but stay cautious.”

They walked outside into the slightly breezy night. Octavia slowly walked down the street supporting Vinyl on her shoulder. The cool evening air seemed to help Vinyl breathe easier as she relaxed her foreleg on Octavia's back.

Everything seems so… serene. How can things be so peaceful after what just happened?

Throughout the walk back home all was silent, save for a few coughs and staggers from Derpy. Once they finally reached the door Octavia stumbled forward while supporting Vinyl and opened the door for Cherry and Derpy.

Finally home, and safe hopefully.

After Octavia shut the door Vinyl asked, “What are we supposed to do now?”

Cherry stood up after helping Derpy lay down on the couch. She looked at Vinyl, then Octavia, and bit her lip.

“We’re going to have to fix your injuries I think. Especially you Derpy.” Cherry said while turning around and looking at Derpy. “You're not doing too good.”

“I’ll be fine! Don't worry about me!”

“Uh- Derpy… you do realize you got thrown over a railing inside somepony’s house and now can’t walk, right?” Vinyl stated.

“I know silly! Don't worry about it though, I'll live.” Derpy scoffed. “Plus, don't you know some sort of healing spell or something?”

“I… might know one that helps speed up the healing process by having more oxygen go into your system so the blood cells go to your organs and-”

“Okay, no need for details Vomit Vinyl.” Octavia chuckled.

“Hey! I can make up names too… Awkward Octavia!” Vinyl mocked.

While Vinyl and Octavia threw insults at each other Cherry muttered to Derpy, “That escalated quickly.”

“It's pretty much the usual.” Derpy replied.

“The usual sure sounds like a lot of arguing.”

“They’re… working on it. I mean they fight sometimes but they’re really good friends when they’re not fighting.”

Cherry picked up the papers that Octavia had set down on the wooden coffee table. She looked them over with a quizzical expression. Most of it was just stuff that was already known from the last blueprint that Derpy’s friends had recovered. Once the final paper from the stack was drawn out it revealed an address.

“Hey Derpy there’s an address here. Can we look it up on your computer?

“An address? Do you think it could be something important?”

“I’m gonna take a wild guess here and say that since it was in the stack of papers about the robots produced by the ponies we’re tracking that it might be important.”

“Oh, yep, that makes sense. Silly me. Anywho, since I can’t walk you know, my laptop is on the counter over there.” Derpy said and pointed to the granite kitchen countertop.

Cherry briskly walked over, grabbed the laptop and brought it back. By this point Vinyl and Octavia had stopped throwing petty insults at each other and came over to see what was happening. Derpy opened the laptop and typed the password in.

Muffins375694… how could I have ever guessed her password would be relating muffins?

Octavia, Vinyl, and Cherry all watched as Derpy opened up the web browser. Derpy started typing then looked back at the paper and repeated this action a few times. Derpy clicked search and the results came up. A picture of a long and flat building sticking out of the side of the mountain appeared.

“It says that it’s a storage building on the other side of the castle.” Derpy noted.

“The old storage building! I know where that place is. I used to live near there when I was a foal. Sometimes after school we’d go there and I would jump off of the rafters and practice flying.” Cherry recalled.

“Does this mean we know where Project R.G.R.’s main base is?” Vinyl asked excitedly.

Cherry jumped up from the couch and yelled, “Oh! In all the excitement earlier I forgot to tell you something rather important!”

“Well let’s hear it!” Vinyl demanded.

“Okay, so that guy in your Orchestra Octavia, he was pretty creepy. When I was interrogating him he tried to get me to kiss him so I tricked him into thinking I would but then I punched him in the face. The shocked look on his face was hilarious. Anywho, he told me that he was paid to assassinate Luna to make the guards look bad so that the robots could replace them and then after a while Project R.G.R. could sell the robots to the public for a ton of money. P.O.N.E. is also pretty sure Project R.G.R. stands for Project Royal Guard Replacement.”

Cherry took in a gulp of air and then grinned eagerly.

“Wow.” Octavia stated simply.

“They’re trying to replace the guards?” Vinyl questioned.

“Yeah, they’re going to try and sell those robots to the public after they gain recognition so it seems like money is the ultimate goal.”

“That’s a pretty jerk thing to do.” Derpy added. “Taking out the princess just for a bunch of money.”

“Yeah, no kidding.” Vinyl said.

“So… what do we do now?” Octavia asked nervously. “I mean Derpy can’t walk and who knows what we could be going up against?”

“Oh wait, sorry I forgot to do that healing spell Derpy.” Vinyl remembered. “I should probably fix myself up afterwards too.”

“It’s okay Vinyl.” Derpy cheerily said.

“Well, I guess I should do that now then.”

Vinyl’s horn lit up and she squinted. Her magic surrounded Derpy who seemed to start glowing and slightly levitated off the couch.

“Woah, this feels weird.” Derpy stated nervously.

Vinyl finally stopped and took a breath, releasing Derpy from her magic. Derpy fell back down and softly landed on the couch.

“Vinyl, are you sure that spell you did is just accelerated healing and not completely fixing injuries?” Derpy said while bending her hoof.

“Yeah, it’s pretty good at what it does but you should still rest so you don’t make the injuries worse.”

“Okay, but first let me see if I can…”

Derpy slowly moved one leg off the couch and placed it on the ground. Then another. She slowly rose up and shakily stood in front of the couch.

“I can already stand again!”

Vinyl bit down on her lower lip and cautiously stated, “I really don’t think you should be doing all this activity Derpy. I mean you took a pretty heavy hit and you’re just now starting to get better.”

“Okay fine, I’ll take it easy Vinyl.”

“Wouldn’t need you getting any more hurt.” Cherry remarked.

Derpy rolled her eyes. The old sofa squeaked as the weight that was put onto it moved from side to side.

“We’re going to need some new furniture soon.” Octavia added as her ears flinched at the sound of the creaky couch.

“I like this one though. It’s been with me since college.” Derpy replied with sad looking eyes.

“Woah, that’s a weapon of mass destruction right there. Puppy eyes like that could change the tide of battle.” Cherry added.

Vinyl, Octavia, Derpy, and Cherry all burst into laughter.

Comments ( 4 )

Just curious, but how many chapters is this planned to be?
Because I have it in my read later list, but I'd rather not start reading it if it's almost finished.

9085082
I'm thinking a few more chapters most likely. I don't really know where the story would go past what I have planned besides a spinoff. Also, if you do decide to give it a go... I have to admit I'm not a very good writer yet.

9086284
In that case, I'll just wait until it's finished before giving it a go.

Friends with a spy is a real disaster, real friends have to trust each other, if you have spotted some weird activity on your devices you can go for this one article https://www.bulletintech.com/how-to-remove-spyware-from-your-phone/ where it is described how to remove spyware from your phone easily. But also after that the main thing you have to do is to remove this `friend`

Login or register to comment