• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 658 Views, 60 Comments

The Book Of Friendship - XombieSlayr



Join Starlight and Trixie as they read through the legendary Book of Friendship, an ancient tome filled with secrets that nopony else has ever known!

  • ...
2
 60
 658

PreviousChapters Next
Surprise's Surprise Sweets N Treats Guide (Ft. Surprise)

IIIIIITTTSS ME AGAIN!

Huh? Pinkie?

NO, silly! It's me, Surprise!

I said I would be back, and I am! Yay!

I decided to do a second chapter, detailing how to make some of the amazing treats I sell in Honeyhooves! For those of you who don't know, Honeyhooves is my bakery/ sweets shop, and its ALWAYS busy. But, I took some time today so I can teach you how to make some the shop's most amazing treats right in your own kitchen! And there is ALOT of em!

I'm soooo excited, I didn't even bother putting a title, so we can get started right away!

So lets get started right away!!

First up, we have:

Frosted Lunas ("Our #1 selling item!)

Frosted Lunas are one of our bestselling and most popular items, in fact I would say we sell about 500 Frosted Lunas a day! (THATSALLOTALUNAS!) So now, I'm going to teach you the super easy recipe to making your own Frosted Lunas.

Our Ingredients are:

- Assorted Lunas (Preferrably store-bought, but any ole Lunas will do.)

- ½ cup of powdered sugar

- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room

- ½ vanilla bean (halved crosswise), split lengthwise

- 5 ½ cups (650g) powdered sugar

- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk

First Fry each Luna in cooking oil heated to 375 degree F, till golden. If the Lunas are flipping too much, use a wider utensil like a wooden spoon to hold them down on one side until browned, then cook it on the other.

Next we make our frosting! To make a super simple buttercream frosting, we're going to be using an Alicorn Mixer, again! In said mixer with the whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed for at least 5 minutes, until the butter has lightened in color and is thoroughly whipped.

Next, using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape the vanilla seeds into the butter and beat to incorporate.

Add 1 cup of the sugar and begin mixing on low speed to combine, then beat on high speed or about 2 minutes.

Repeat this process 1 cup at a time until all the sugar has been added. Add milk a dash at a time if the mixture becomes too thick or dry. Scrape down the sides as needed and make sure no sugar is visible.

Next, pour the frosting into a separate piping bag. Now just pipe it onto each separate Luna until they are covered at the top.

Lastly, Dip the Lunas in a bowl of powdered sugar to coat one side.

And there we go, Frosted Lunas! Be sure to share them with your friends! As everypony knows, Lunas are best enjoyed with friends!


Up next we will be making:


Fruitie Luscies ("Little fruity cakes with little loose fruits.")

Fruitie Luscies are delicious little bite sized cakes that are perfect for any party, or basically anytime you want a tasty fruity treat!

To make the delectable treats, we will need:

Filling: 1 pkg (3.5 oz) vanilla instant pudding 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream .5 cup milk Optional: add in your personal desired flavor extract (1/4 tsp) for each Luscie cake (peppermint, orange, lemon, etc.)

Glaze: .5 cups powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk

Creampuffs: .5 cups unsalted butter 1 tsp sugar .5 tsp salt 1 cup all purpose flour 5 large eggs


Now, that we have all our ingredients, let me show how to make them!

First prepare the creampuffs. In a medium saucepan, combine your butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup of water over a medium high heat. Once it reaches a boil, quickly stir in your flour with a wooden spoon.

Next, transfer this to a mixing bowl to slightly cool for several minutes. Then add in your eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously to entirely combine the egg into the flour mixture.

Now to make the coloring for each individual cake type. Separate your flour into as many containers as colors you want. I made pink, orange, and green for the ones I sell in Honeyhooves, so I use 3 containers total.

Add in the appropriate food coloring and stir until fully colored. Then add these to piping bags and snip off the tops.

On a baking pan with parchment paper, pipe out small 1 inch sized circles. Use a hoof dabbed in some water to smooth out the tops to round them evenly. Then bake them at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until fully risen. Take them out and while they’re cooling, let’s make the pastry cream filling!

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and then separate it again into containers for as many different unique flavors you’d like. Add in the flavor extracts, then add these to a pastry bag and fill each puff up from the bottom.

To further accessorize, combine the glaze ingredients in a mixer and coat each Fruitie Luscie to your hearts content. You can color these separately as well! It’s up to you how detailed you’d like to make your Fruitie Luscies - I personally like to go all out, so I pipe out small flowers with melted pink candy melts and add them on after. Be creative! Make your own delicious Fruitie Luscies and don’t forget to share with your friends :)

These next treats are super special!

Elements Of Harmony Cookies (" Baked in the ovens of Friendship! (As well as an actual oven.")

These were actually requested for me to put down in this chapter! As you may know, Omni and the rest of us, represent the aspects of Friendship created by her, known as The Elements Of Harmony: Loyalty, Honesty, Generosity,Kindness, Magic and mine is of course...Laughter! These cookies are not only delicious and look amazing, but they also represent each element as they are represented by our cutie marks! Now lets make em!

You will need:

For the Cookie Dough: 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 cup sugar 2 sticks (salted) butter 1 egg 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract.

Royal Icing: 3 ounces pasteurized egg whites, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 cups confectioners’ sugar and Food coloring.

First let's prepare the dough! Preheat your oven to 350F. Combine your flour and baking powder.

Cream your sugar and butter in an alicorn mixer until they are fully combined. Add vanilla extract and eggs to your mixer and combine.

Add your flour mixture and continue to mix until the dough is crumbly and fully mixed in. Pour out your dough, knead it a couple of times, and roll it out to be a 1/4 inch thick. Use custom cookie cutters of each element to cut your Elements Of Harmony patterns from the dough and place on a parchment lined sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. You can purchase them from HoneyHooves as well! Or you can just cut them out with a stencil or use a picture of our butts as reference! That's fine too!

Next, create your royal icing by combining pasteurized egg whites and vanilla extract in a stand mixer. Mix until frothy.

Then on a slow speed, add your confectioner’s sugar bit by bit until it is fully incorporated. Mix on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the icing has stiff hard peaks.

Separate the icing into separate containers. Each container will be colored differently, so it's up to you how many colors you'll be wanting to make! Once you add a couple of drops of coloring to each batch of icing, spoon in a tsp of water and mix to make the icing a little more fluid. Again colors don't matter as they're your cookies, but if you're going for authenticity:

My cutie mark is bright yellow.

Popularity's is Light purple.

Artemis's is Orange.

Oceana's is light teal.

Omni's is pink.

Muse's is gold.

If you want to use the right colors for them. But again, they're your cookies! Make em all rainbow if you want!

Decorate your cookies by creating a border with your icing and filling it in! Then invite some friends over and enjoy!

Our next recipe is fun for the fall! (The season, not when your falling down the stairs....actually, nope! They're fun even when you're falling down the stairs!)

Pumpkin Pasties ("Pumpkin filled tasty pasties!")

Dough: 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour 1 tablespoon sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 tsp baking powder 8 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks 4 tbsp water Mix in your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl or stand mixer. After they are combined, add in your butter one chunk at a time. After that is combined, add in your water and thoroughly mix until it is dough. Put this in the refrigerator while you prepare the pumpkin filling!

Pumpkin Filling: 3 eggs 1 can pumpkin puree 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 1/2 cup brown sugar 2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground ginger 1/2 tsp ground cloves 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 1/2 tsp ground allspice 1/2 tsp salt.

Begin the pumpkin filling by whisking your eggs in a large mixing bowl. Continue to whisk and add your pumpkin puree, heavy whipping cream, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and finally salt.

Once the mixture is created, pour it into a small baking pan. Bake in an oven at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 and continue to cook for 30-40 minutes until you can insert a toothpick into the pumpkin mixture and take it out clean. Roll out your dough evenly, thick enough that you are able to fold it over on itself without it tearing. Cut out circles about 4 inches in diameter (the size is really up to you!). When the pumpkin is finished cooking, spoon in small amounts onto each circle and carefully fold them over making sure not to let any pumpkin leak out. The edges should just be dough touching dough. Any pumpkin in between the cracks will give you a less secure bond when you bake the pasties. Coat your pasties with an eggwhite wash and bake them at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or when the tops are a golden brown. Take them out, and enjoy!


Next, is another super popular treat, known for their EXPLOSIVE flavor! (Heh. Explosive. good one, Surprise.) Thanks, me!

Boombuns ("Available in five super tasty and explosive flavors!")

Boombuns are super tasty and super fun to eat! As soon as you take a bite, they'll burst with flavor,complete with fireworks and confetti! I do have to say, it's not a good idea to eat them in a quiet place though, like a library. I don't want anypony getting kicked out of the library for smuggling my Boombuns in there again. Thank you!

Here's what we'll need!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk 2 tbsp sugar
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp highly active yeast
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup warm water
Gel food coloring
Different flavored jam
A small pinch of Zebrican Boom spice

This is how we do it! (Huh....that should be a song!)

First, sift the flour into a separate bowl. Combine the milk, sugar, salt, boom spice and melted butter in another bowl. Mix together. Be sure to not activate the boom spice by stirring too hard.

Add in half of the flour while stirring, then the yeast. Combine one beaten egg with the cup of warm water and add to mixture.

Add the final flour and keep whisking until combined. Dump your contents out onto a well floured surface. Flour your hooves too!

Begin to knead the dough. If you would like to color your buns, you must split the dough up at this stage, otherwise you can do it later on after the dough has been kneaded. Add gel coloring to each individual dough bun and begin to knead for 8-10 minutes.

It should take about this long for the color to be fully kneaded in as well. This can get a bit messy, so do your best to contain the coloring inside the dough when kneading as much as possible.

When the dough is ready, prepare separate bowls for each bun to rise in. Cover the bottom with Wham (Or any no-stick cooking spray), butter, or shortening, and place the dough inside.

Twirl the bun until all of its sides are covered. Then cover the top of the container with plastic wrap.

Put these in a warm place to let the dough rise for the next 40-50 minutes. Some ovens have a feature that allow you to do this.

After the dough has risen, take the buns out of the container and punch them down (in this case, just pushing a hoof down on top will do. Or you can actually punch them, but not too hard, so you don't hurt the bun's feelings. Or blow up the kitchen. Actually, never mind. PLEASE DO NOT PUNCH THE BUNS).

Knead the buns a few more times to work out any extra gas in them. Shape them into dough balls and let them rest again for 10-15 minutes so they settle.

Now to prepare the jam! Each bun has a unique color and berry associated with them, so I try to match each color to the flavor of each bun, so you know the kind of explosiveness to expect.

For Red Boombuns (Petroactive Pepper) I use red pepper jelly.

For Blue Boombuns (Blueberry Blast) I use blueberry jelly

For Pink Boombuns (Strontium Strawberry) I use strawberry jelly

For Green Boombuns (Firecracker Fig) I use fig jelly

For Yellow Boombuns (Caustic Kumquat) I use kumquat jelly

To fill each bun, flatten them out and spoon a little jelly into the center. Then carefully fold the center edge over to the other and crease the dough along the sides until sealed. Make sure no jam gets in between your creases otherwise they won't hold and will leak when you bake them.

After your buns have been closed off, shape them in your hooves and place them pinched edges down. Preheat your oven to 350F (176C) and place the buns on a baking pan in there for 10-15 minutes.

And that's it! Be sure to be super careful when you eat them, and don't eat more then two, because that's bad for your teeth. And your ears.


For the next recipe, we have yet another popular treat, especially for everypony who loves chocolate and marshmallow! (Which I assume is everypony!)

Surprise Pies "They're the superist, the scooperist, the extra-chocoduperist!")

What's better then a tasty chocolate bar with marshmallow filling, caramel and nuts? One that's in the shape of my face! Fillies and colts of all types love these things! And so do I, so lets make one!

You will need:

24 oz milk chocolate chips
4 tsp. crushed almonds
4 tsp. caramel
7 ounces marshmallow fluff
Green food coloring
Chocolate bar mold / Custom made Surprise Face Mold

Here's what to do.

Wrap your Surprise mold with aluminum foil and make sure the edges are sealed.

Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring it in between, until it is completely smooth and liquid.

Use a spoon or spatula to spread your chocolate into your chocolate bar mold or Surprise mold.

Use a clean paintbrush or food brush to coat the sides of the mold as well to make sure you can add your filling in later without having it leak out the side.

Place these in the freezer when done. Create your green filling by mixing in green gel food coloring and marshmallow fluff. It may take a lot to get the color as green as you want if you are using regular food coloring.

When you're done, take your chocolate bars out of the freezer and spoon/spatula/brush in your green filling. Place these back in the freezer.

Melt your caramel with a little bit of milk and microwave power!

Microwave for 30 second bursts and stir in between just like we did with the chocolate. When it's ready, take your bars out from the freezer and drizzle the caramel on top.

You can additionally add your crushed almonds on top of this.

Place these in the freezer one last time. Finally if your chocolate has hardened, warm it up for a bit again in the microwave until it's back to being melted.

Take your molds out of the freezer and finish the bars by covering everything with one last layer of melted chocolate. For extra authenticity, wrap em in tin foil and glue the patented "Surprise Pie" label onto them! Enjoy!

This next one is always fun!

Mockers ("Mock Em!")

Mockers are a tasty lemon flavored candy that let you impersonate the voice of ANYPONY who eats the other candy packaged with them! Each package comes with two candies. Just be sure to not eat them both, because then you'll hear an echo everytime you talk for the next 5 hours. Lets get started!

We will be using:

1/4 cup of sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 cup of water
1/2 tsp citric acid
1/4 t. lemon extract
1/4 cup ground Mimic root
Blue food coloring
Powdered sugar
Candy Thermometer

Here's how we make em!

In a sauce pan combine sugar, water mimic root, and cream of tartar and Stir it up.

Insert a candy thermometer and heat until it reaches 300 degrees F. Pour mixture onto a greased baking pan or silpat (that's a funny word!)

Add food coloring, citric acid, and lemon extract. Your choice of flavorings is entirely up to you here, as is color!

Mix the ingredients together. Mix thoroughly until it begins to cool. Then using your hooves, carefully pull small globs from the mixture and ball it up between them. The faster you work the easier it will be- and you won't burn yourself! When you've formed each rare candy, drop it in a bowl of powdered sugar to coat all the edges. Work through the rest of your melted mixture. You'll be able to reform each of the candies a little bit when you're all finished.

Once they're cooled off, enjoy one. But only ONE at a time. Mimic root is crazy, and eating too much of it can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen to you! Be careful and enjoy.

For our next treat, this one is actually rather new!

Jellie Nellies ("You jelly of my nellie?")

Jellie Nellies are a brand new treat being sold at Honeyhooves, and have already started flying off the shelves! Let's find out how to make em!

To make these, you will need:

1 package of Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. Sugar
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 egg
1 tbsp. melted butter
Canola Oil
Raspberry or Strawberry jam for filling
Powdered Sugar
Dark Blue icing
Light blue icing

Here's how to make them!

Begin by activating your yeast. Heat your milk up to 105-110 degrees F and pour it over your yeast with the sugar. Stir well.

After about 10 minutes your ingredients should have a layer of foam on top.

Combine your flour and salt in a mixer.

Pour in your yeast, an egg, and melted butter. Mix until the dough is properly kneaded. This should take anywhere from 5-7 minutes in a mixer and 10-12 minutes by hoof.

Take out your dough and cover it in an oiled bowl to let it rise. After about 30-40 minutes your dough should have doubled in size.

Flour a surface and place your dough onto it. Punch it down and knead it a few times to release any air trapped inside.

Roll it out and cut the dough into rectangles. Here you can make your Nellies as large or as small as you’d like! The ones sold in Honeyhooves are about 2 inches x 4 inches.

Once your rectangles have been cut out, cover them and let them rise again for 15-20 minutes.

While the dough is rising, let’s prepare our deep fryer!

This is a more dangerous process so make sure to have pony supervision and proper safety protocols in place before you get going.

Fill up a fryer or large pot with your oil and increase the heat to around 330 degrees F. Carefully place your dough rectangles inside the oil. Don’t overfill the pot.

Cook one side for about 2 minutes then flip it over. You can check on how ready the dough is before you flip it over. You might need to fry it for just a little longer!

Remove the fried dough rectangles when they are finished and let them dry and remove excess oil on a paper towel.

To fill the donuts with jam, carefully poke a hole in either of the sides and excavate the insides. I usually use a chopstick for this! Then pipe in your jam and seal it off! Prepare a bowl of powdered sugar or fill a sifter and powder your Nellies. When they’ve cooled and dried, spread frosting across the top. Place these in the freezer to dry them more quickly. Then carefully use your icing to write "Nellie" onto each cake! Once that's done, enjoy them with friends!

This next one is a classic holiday favorite! And one of my own personal favorites! (And that's saying something.)

Appies ("The perfect treat for the winter holidays!")

Appies are just....AMAZING! I'd eat them all the time if I didn't only bake them around Hearths Warming. When you smell the apples in the air and the smell of baking cinnamon, you know that Appies are backies! And that's when the stampede happens, and ponies wait in line for hours to get them!

Now, here's what you'll need to make your own Appies!

1 qt vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp vegetable oi
l 3 green apples - cored, peeled, chopped into small squares
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Glaze: 3 cups Powdered Sugar, 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract, 1/3c Milk

Here's how we make em!

Stir together your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Pour in your milk, eggs (beaten), and oil and stir until it's all combined.

Cut up your apples into small squares then pour them in and cover them evenly in the batter.

Heat your oil in a pot to 370 degrees F. Do not overheat! Use a candy thermometer to track the temperature and as it gets closer to 370, lower the heat and watch the temperature closely.

Using a large spoon, ladle, ice cream scoop, or measuring cup, take small portions of your apples in batter and drop them carefully into your oil. They will naturally flip themselves in the oil, but make sure both sides are a nice golden brown before removing them and placing them on some paper towels to absorb the remainder of the oil.

Prepare your glaze by mixing the ingredients together and whisking until it is all incorporated and smooth. Place your fried apple fritters into the glaze and roll it around to fully coat it. Then remove them and let them dry. To double glaze, simply dunk the apple fritters back into the glaze or pour it out over top. Once it's dried off again, serve and enjoy these delicious sugary delights!


Speaking of holiday treats, this next one is a favorite in the spring holidays!

Burple Nurples ("Little Nurples that Burples!")

Every time I make these I can never seem to stop saying the name. Burple Nurples, Burple Nurples, Burple Nurples! And then I laugh at the word Nurple, every time I say it, so its like a say Burple Nurple, then I laugh then I say it again. and then I laugh. This continues for several hours, even after they're done baking!

To make Burple Nurples (*Snicker*) you will need:

16 ounce package white cake mix
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1 tsp Snoriander
Purple food coloring

Here's how to make em!

Stir together your cake mix, brown sugar, egg, milk, butter, and Snoriander in a large bowl.

The Snoriander is what makes the nurples (*Snicker*) Burp! But be sure to only add 1 tsp, so as not to overwhelm the taste of the cake.

Add in purple food coloring bit by bit until your batter reaches a dark purple.

Pour in your chocolate chips (optional) and fold them into the dough.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Spread out your mixture on a greased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.

The coloring on top of your Nurples (*Snicker*) will have dulled, but don't worry! it's just as rich and vibrant on the inside.

To make the Nurple shapes, you'll need the special Nurple cookie Cutters I use in Honeyhooves. We do sell them, and their only 5 bits! Or you can just use whatever shapes you have on hoof! It's up to you!

Remove your Nurples (*Snicker*) from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Now, cut out the pieces from your baked Nurp- *Snicker* erm....brownies!

You'll need two wings for each body. Once that's done, use a knife to trim off the edges of your wings and split a toothpick in half to place into the wing and secure it to the body.

That's it! You've made Burple Nurples that burple as they nurple! Be sure to share them with your friends!

For our last recipe, I've prepared something I don't sell in Honeyhooves, because its WAY too special. I am of course talking about:

Surprise Senpai's Strawberry Shortcake

This was the first recipe I ever learned! I've made it only a few times, each time for only the most special occasion. I made it when me and Omni first became friends. I made it when I opened Honeyhooves. And I made it when me, omni, populaity, artemis, muse and Oceana, all became friends and had a sleepover! It's the most precious recipe I have, so unfortunately I can't give out too much about it. But don't worry! You can still make it!

The ingredients are:

3 pints fresh strawberries, sliced

Shortcake (DOUBLE THIS RECIPE for TWO SHORTCAKES!)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk

Whipped Cream Frosting: 2 cups heavy whipping cream 1 cup icing sugar

Now lets make Surprise Senpai's Strawberry Shortcake!

Slice your strawberries and set aside. Optionally toss them with some sugar. Leave 5-6 whole strawberries uncut.

In a mixing bowl, add your sugar and shortening, and mix until combined into coarse crumbs.

Add in one egg, vanilla extract and mix until fully combined.

In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, baking powder, and salt.

Bit by bit, mix in your dry mixture and milk and continue to stir until the batter is finished and combined.

In a circle pan, spread the batter evenly. Repeat the first process and create a second shortcake.

Place in a 425 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove the top off of one shortcake with a leveler or bread knife.

To make the whipped cream frosting, add your heavy whipping cream to a mixing bowl and mix on medium high.

Slowly add in the icing sugar while continuing to mix until the whipped cream frosting holds it shape.

Plate one of your shortcakes, coat the top with a layer of whipped cream, then cover with sliced strawberries.

Add more frosting on top, then place your second shortcake above it.

Frost the entire cake, then add some dollops on top for your whole strawberries. Slice and serve!

Join me again next time, when I will be teaching you how to make Hearth's Warming Pudding! Just in time for the holidays!

See you then!

- Surprise

PreviousChapters Next