• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 2,980 Views, 76 Comments

Pinkie and the Raptor - Lycan_01



Pinkie finds a raptor in the Everfree Forest, and tames it. Her friends react accordingly.

  • ...
1
 76
 2,980

Meet Utah

Boing. Boing.

Over the river and through the woods, Pinkie Pie cheerfully hopped along. The curly-maned pony had just concluded a visit with her friend Zecora, deep in the heart of the Everfree Forest. The pony and zebra had shared a nice little chat over some tea, prepared by Zecora, and some cupcakes, provided by Pinkie. The pink equine still had a few of the sweet snacks left, stored safely in her saddle-bags.

Boing. Boing.

Pinkie hummed a cheerful tune to herself as she bounced along the winding path through the dark woods. Most ponies would have been afraid of what might be lurking in the dark trees and dense underbrush that lined the trail. Pinkie, however, wasn't afraid. She'd taken this path dozens and dozens of times, and she knew nothing would bother her. And on the off chance something did accost or confront her, her odd little Pinkie Sense would warn her ahead of time with a twitch or itch or something.

Boing. Boing.

Twitch.

Pinkie stopped dead in her tracks. Her right ear was itching. That one happened when...

She was being watched.

"Hello?" the earth pony called out. "Who's there?" Only silence answered her. "I know you're there." Still only silence. Pinkie narrowed her eyes.

Slowly, she began to turn her head from side to side. She reasoned that if the itching faded or intensified when she looked in a certain direction, she could eventually narrow down the location of who or what was watching her. Like an odd itch-based sonar or something. Sure enough, as her gaze drifted over a nearby bush, her ear began itching more intensely. "AHA!!" Pinkie blurted out. "There you are! Now come on out, or I'll-"

SCREEEEEE!!

A hideous, keening shriek filled the air. A large creature, slightly bigger than Pinkie, leaped up out of the bush and into the air. It looked like a large, bipedal lizard, with massive talons on its hind legs, smaller claws on its fore-arms, and a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. Its scales were a mottled green-grey hue, with black stripes running down its back. Amber eyes were locked on Pinkie, and the pony could see the hunger burning in them. This creature had one thing on its mind:

Food.

And Pinkie was all too happy to help.

Before the lizard-beast could land, or even react, a cupcake smashed into its face at terminal velocity. The creature was sent flailing, its trajectory and balance thrown off by the impact. The predatory animal landed in a crumpled heap, the remains of the cupcake coating the inside of its toothy jaws.

The creature quickly leaped back to its feet, extended its arms, and flexed its claws. For a moment, it had the full intention of attacking the small pink prey in front of it.

But then, as its tongue registered the taste of the cupcake in its mouth, the beast froze. Slowly, it began to chew thoughtfully, trying to figure out what these new tastes and textures were. It swallowed the baked deliciousness, then sat there, its mind slowly processing what had just transpired.

Pinkie, smirking knowingly, pulled another cupcake from her saddle-bag. The hunger quickly faded from the reptile's yellow eyes, instead replaced by excitement. It opened its fang-filled maw widely, its tongue lolling out as it awaited the next tasty treat. With a giggle, Pinkie tossed the cupcake - blue icing with red sprinkles - into the air. The lizard-thing caught it with lightning speed, and quickly gobbled it down.

What looked like the lizard equivalent of a smile spread across the creature's features. It slowly lowered its claws and took on a more nonthreatening stance, and began to cautiously approach the pink pony. It tilted its head slightly, before making some sort of soft, curious noises. They sounded like a mix between a bird's chirping and an odd, low screeching noise. The tone of the noises seemed to imply it was being inquisitive.

"My name is Pinkie Pie," Pinkie grinned, pointing at herself. "Pinkie. Pie. Pinkie Pie."

The lizard made three short chirp-like-noises, the syllables and pitch matching Pinkie's name.

"Yeah, Pinkie Pie," Pinkie nodded gleefully. "And you... Oh, hang on. I think I know what you are."

The beast tilted its head to the right, making a gesture of curiosity.

"You're a Velociraptor, right?" the pony asked politely. "I think I've seen pictures of you before in books and stuff."

The creature stared at her for a moment, experiencing an existential crisis. Ve-loc-i-rap-tor. Velociraptor. The word sounded so strange, so foreign... yet oddly familiar. Oddly... right.

Until today, it had always just been... itself. A predator. A slave to its instincts. Nothing more. Or was it? Now it felt different. It was discovering new things. The delicious food the pink creature had thrown at it. The odd sense of comfort it felt in the presence of what should have been its prey. The bizarre sense of familiarity the word "velociraptor" held. It turned the word over in its head again. Yes. Yes... It was a velociraptor. That's what it was. A velociraptor. Slowly, the raptor nodded, confirming its identity for both Pinkie Pie, and itself.

"Okay, Mr. Raptor!" Pinkie grinned. "Do you want another cupcake?"

The raptor titled its head again. Cupcake? What? What is a cup-

Before it could finish that thought, the pink pony stuffed another cupcake into its mouth. The raptor sat there, confused for a moment. It then quickly gulped down the treat, and flashed what looked like a smile. Oh. That was a cupcake.

"You like cupcakes, don't you Mr. Raptor?" Pinkie asked. "I have more back at my house. Would you like some more?" The raptor nodded enthusiastically. "You have to promise not to hurt anyone though. No biting, no scratching, no eating any other living creatures. Got it?"

The raptor stared. It then slowly nodded. If not hurting anything meant more cupcakes....... then it was perfectly fine with never being a carnivore again. Yes, that was a perfectly fair trade. It began to nod more enthusiastically.

"Great!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Though what should I call you? Do you like Mr. Raptor? Or would you like something different? How 'bout... Utah?"

The raptor blinked a few times. Utah? Why Utah? What's a Utah?

"I don't know why, either. It just sounded cool," Pinkie shrugged.

The raptor was now even more confused. How did she...? No matter. If being docile and going by the name of Utah meant cupcakes... so be it!

"Okay, Utah it is!" the pony cheered. "Ready to go, Utah?" The raptor nodded, excitement shining in its eyes. "Great! Let's go back to Ponyville, then!" And with that, Pinkie Pie began to hop along the forest path once more. The raptor stared at her for a moment, before mimicking her bouncing with short leaps of its own. And so, side by side, Pinkie Pie and Utah the Velociraptor began to make their way through the Everfree Forest, back towards a completely unsuspecting and unprepared Ponyville...