• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 6,063 Views, 161 Comments

Ponyville Discovers Coffee - Soothing Stone



What other horrors will be unleashed, when Ponyville's ponies try out coffee?

  • ...
6
 161
 6,063

Sweetie Belle

The Carousal Boutique, Ponyville's premiere fashion shop, was known as a classy place to find the newest fashions of Equestria. The owner and sole employee of the store, Rarity, was not only gathering a reputation for her tasteful use of gems, but for always being on time with requests, and as long as you were reasonable with timetables, she would always deliver your shipment on time.

But occasionally, there's one day where we all let things slip out of our hooves. Today was that day for her.

The workroom was in shambles everywhere: Ribbons were lying across the floor, gems were in every nook and cranny like they were thrown around, and many other things were moved hastily through magic. And there wasn't one dress that looked close to finished.

"Oh, whatever shall I do?" Rarity cried, exhausted as she collapsed into her sofa. "Photo Finish gives me a chance to design five dresses for a photo shoot, and I cannot even design one that will match her exquisite tastes! What should I do now?

"No. I will not flounder around while there's a delivery to be made! I must create!"

She rose up and pushed the sofa away, put her red glasses on, and got back to work.

Photo Finish had given a few suggestions and some basic sketches to start with. One of the notes simply said "NO GEMS!" underlined a few times for emphasis. No matter, even if Rarity's despair started all because she couldn't help herself at the first attempts.

The reference sketches were put next to the mannequins and a whole host of material were levitated around them. After much cutting and sewing, the basic structures were laid on top of them, each various shades of green in a "color of envy" lineup.

After that basic outline, the sketches let her do things the way she saw best. The green color encouraged experimentation, so she gave each a different design, from one full of ribbons to one flowing like a gown. On the last, she even embedded one gem underneath all the layers. What Photo doesn't know won't kill her.

In a surprisingly short timespan, Rarity suddenly had her order finished in front of her. Now all she had to do what write a letter to confirm it was finished, and ship them off to the photographer's residence. All she had to do was check the time, and make sure the postal service was still--

"FOUR O'CLOCK? How can it be four o'clock already?" Rarity gasped when she looked at the clock on the wall. "I must have gotten caught up in getting it right, and I forgot all about Sweetie Belle! She must be worried I forgot about her? I'm coming for you, sister!"

She charged out of the workstation and past the front door of the Boutique, going straight for the school. How could she forget it was her turn to pick her little sister up after all this time?

Nevertheless, the unicorn kept rushing to the school. When she arrived, the few ponies that were there were all on the playground, and after looking carefully Sweetie Belle was the only Crusader left, enjoying herself on the swings.

"I'm so sorry, Sweetie Belle," Rarity said as she got inside the area. "I didn't mean to leave you here, it completely slipped my mind."

"It's OK, sis," the little filly said. "Didn't you say something this morning that you might be late because of some order?"

Rarity slapped a hoof on her forehead. She had forgotten a lot of things today.

"That's correct, but it is no excuse for forgetting you were even here. I have to do something for you to compensate."

"No, you really don't have to. I'm not mad or anything."

"I have to do something. Please?"

"But--"

"Please?" She gave a begging look to seal the deal.

"Oh, alright. You can do something."

Rarity hopped around the playground, feeling at that moment she was the best sister ever. "So what do you want to do this afternoon? You don't have a lot of homework, do you?"

"Nope, did it all while I was waiting. Pinkie Pie told me all about this new coffee they have at Sugar Cube Corner, and it sounds really delicious."

"Are you sure you should be drinking coffee? You are still a filly after all."

"What does that have to do with it?"

"Well, coffee is something that energizes a pony, and since you're so young you have a lot of energy already."

"That doesn't sound bad. Can I still have some?"

Rarity sighed, and nodded. It couldn't make Sweetie Belle too hyper, right?

Cheerful, Sweetie Belle followed Rarity over to the Sugar Cube Corner. It was in the middle of autumn, so the sun was starting to get low and in their faces. They shielded their eyes as they arrived inside the Corner.

Unlike previous visits, there were quite a few ponies inside. Nearly every table was fun of characters who had just got off work, and a few others were typing stories out on their typewriters, their constant clacking on the paper making noise echoing across the room.

One thing Sweetie Belle noticed was the strong scene of coffee in the room. There wasn't a table with a coffee cup on it, and while some of the scents smelled like grounded beans, the caramel ones were promising.

After a wait in line, they both arrived at the front desk, and a stranger was on one of the registers.

"Hello, who are you?" Rarity said to the stallion with a mohawk mane and a dark coat. "And why isn't Pinkie here?"

"I'm Thunderlane. They've been getting so busy that they needed some help at peak hours, so I said what the hay, and signed up. For here or to go?"

She saw there wasn't an empty table in the cafe. "To go. What do you want, Sweetie?"

Sweetie Belle hopped up and down to get her head over the counter, able to say only a few words at a time. "I want. A really sweet. Caramel drink. Really cold. With a lot of. Whipped cream. A lot. Please."

Thunderlane shrugged. "Sounds like you want a caramel iced latte. Give me a few minutes and I'll have one on the way."

Sweetie Belle squeaked and waited by the window, the only open place she could find. She couldn't wait for the delicious flavors to arrive, even though she didn't really know what it would taste like.

Meanwhile, Rarity glanced at the ponies that were in here. They were from all walks of life, and she even found a few here and there in expensive dresses. Maybe she should ask Pinkie Pie if she could advertise somewhere around here for the Boutique.

Within time, Thunderlane called out for a caramel iced latte, and Rarity picked it up with her magic from the counter. Yet she wouldn't give it to Sweetie Belle, keeping it close to herself.

"Hey, why can't I have it now?" Sweetie demanded.

"Manners, dear. Can you wait until we get back home before you try it? I wouldn't want to make a big commotion just yet."

"Are you afraid I'll get Pinkie Pie hyper if I drink it?"

"No deary," Rarity lied through her teeth. "But wouldn't you want to have it in private away from all these older ponies?"

"I guess..."

Smiling she stopped a public disaster, Rarity escorted Sweetie home to their house. Sweetie was staring at the cup, just wanting to grab it now It was a clear one, and her mouth watered at the delicious looking stuff the whole trip.

Rarity pushed the door open and went inside. Sweetie grinned as her big sister placed it on the kitchen table, intentionally where she could reach for it.

"Now sister, I'll be in my workstation if you need me. Photo Finish must know I have completed all the dresses on time," said Rarity.

"OK, you go do that," Sweetie replied, ignoring everything in favor of the mysterious drink. She heard Rarity's trotting behind her, followed by the sound of a door being shut. The time had come at last.

Thunderlane forgetting entirely to place a straw inside, she got one herself from a shelf and put it inside the cup. She looked around to make sure nopony was here, and only Opal was present, cleaning herself on a kitchen counter. Finally.

She took the straw with her hooves and drank half of it in one go. The freezing stuff froze her cheeks, but man was it worth the pain. The whole mixture was as delicious as she had hoped, with the caramel taste strong as she liked and the whole amount of sugar inside really making it taste sweet to Sweetie.

So she kept on, drinking it and drinking it. Every drink was fantastic, unlike anything she had before. Heck, she wanted more when she found it was empty. Even a medium sized beverage was too small. So she went to the workstation's entrance and pushed it open to find Rarity on her desk, still writing a letter to the photographer.

"Oh, you're here sooner than I thought," Rarity commented. "What's the matter? How was the coffee?"

"That's what I want to talk about," said Sweetie Belle. "You think I could have a second one? It was really good."

"I'm happy you liked it so much, but you simply can't expect me to go back to the cafe so soon. It will have to wait until Friday."

"But I really liked it a--wait a minute. I feel funny..."

The filly felt dizzy all the sudden, her hooves barely aligning and going all over the floor. Her stomach felt like somepony was pinching it from the inside, and she wanted to lie down anywhere if it helped.

"Sweetie? You don't look so well." The designer rushed to her sister's aid, but was awestruck when she realized Sweetie's hooves were somehow a few inches off the floor. Her horn was glowing with a faint pink color, and suddenly she found herself hovering into the air, her whole body covered in a magical glow.

"Sweetie Belle? What are you doing?"

"I don't know, but this is weird!" Sweetie said, her voice echoing with an unnatural echo. "What's going on?"

"Oh my, Sweetie! You're having a magical charge! Anything can happen now!"

And it did. A lightning strike from Sweetie's horn struck the fan above, causing it to look like it was reflecting the night sky. Opal came in to see what all the ruckus was coming from, only for the lightning to strike her, causing the kitty to shrink to half her size.

Fearing for her safety, Rarity turned over a table and hid behind it, only for that to get next and dissolve into a bushel of sunflowers.

"HOW DO I STOP THIS?" Sweetie screamed.

"I don't know, but don't panic! I'm sure there's something I can--"

Suddenly the filly's horn struck at the dresses, causing green and blue gems to grow out of them. To make it even more impossible, the dresses changed color rapidly, through all the shades of the color wheel without warning, ending up all navy blue.

"Do you know how long it took me to make--no, I will not think about it. I have to save my sister from destroying my house!"

She lunged for Sweetie, but another charge caused the little unicorn to teleport to the other side of the room for no reason.

Sweetie looked genuinely terrified, flicking her horn in hopes it would stop its terror. But it didn't, and the glow only seemed to grow.

"HOW DO YOU STOP THIS? I DON'T LIKE SHRINKING CATS OR CHANGING FANS! PLEASE, I'LL EVEN GIVE YOU MY LUNCH MONEY IF YOU CAN STOP ME!"

"That will not be necessary! I'll figure something out!"

Rarity ran out with the tiny cat on her back and shut the door behind her. She could hear more zapping inside, but she wasn't thinking about her order now. She hurriedly looked around the Boutique for anything she could find. Then she remembered she had a book that told just what to do when a filly lost control of her horn in her bedroom.

Once she was inside and found the book "So You Have A Future Magician For A Filly: What To Do In Times Of Magical Crisis" on her shelf, she flipped through the pages and found the chapter on Sweetie's condition.

While rare in numbers, there have been recorded instances, where the first time a unicorn filly uses magic becomes a horrific encounter in which he or she looses control of her powers. The last known case was Twilight Sparkle, a Canterlot pony that later went on to become Princess Celestia's protege.

Most of these cases have been solved through the presence of a more experienced magician, but in the dilemma that you do not have one, the best thing you can do is get close enough to flick the horn. This might cause a bigger magical surge the first time, but rest assured that if you can do it twice, you're guaranteed to stop this without a sweat, assuming you can get close without getting hit by the magic at all.

Finally, she knew what to do to save her sister. She shut the book and went to the kitchen for a few supplies.

Meanwhile, the workstation had further descended into chaos. An indoor thunderstorm had formed, raining down on everything in the place. Sweetie's eyes were completely white with power, and she felt then that she could have destroyed Ponyville if this continued.

"RARITY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? PLEASE HURRY!"

She saw the door kicked open, and a very weird looking pony walked inside. Her entire body was covered in pots and pans in a makeshift armor, and a series of plates had been glued together into a shield. Through it all, Sweetie could see the knight's purple mane, messed up with the armor.

"RARITY! PLEASE HURRY! I FEEL LIKE I'M GETTING STRONGER BY THE SECOND!"

"Never fear, Sweetie! Rarity is here for you!"

She inched forward towards her target without fear. The horn zapped one plate and it became a wheel of cheese, falling to the floor. Another plate on the shield was transformed into the shape of a balloon, floating to the cloud on the ceiling.

"PLEASE HURRY! I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU!"

Rarity nodded and kept inching closer. This time the horn zapped the top on her head, and it became a golden crown with gems. An improvement, if she said so herself.

Sweetie's eyes darkened to black as the horn glowed brighter. Suddenly the shield was gone, into little bubbles that popped instantly with the rain. It was do or die.

All the fear going away for that brief moment, Rarity lunged again at Sweetie Belle, and this time the horn just zapped all the armor off, thinking it would have time for a second attack. The pots and pans disappeared but Rarity didn't.

In one sweeping movement, the designer had the filly pinned on the ground, and flicked at the horn with a hoof.

Suddenly, everything was quiet again. The thunderstorm had left, the water evaporated, and Sweetie's eyes were back to normal. Rarity got off and helped her get back up. The room was messy with material all over the place, but for the most part it was something they could fix. And best of all, save for the color and gem change, the dresses were in one piece.

Sweetie looked down on the floor, moaning about the experience.

"What's wrong, sister?" Rarity asked. "There was no way you could have seen that coming. That happens once in a generation."

"I know," Sweetie sighed. "But I almost ruined everything. And I couldn't do anything about it."

"It doesn't matter. You didn't do any permanent damage, though it will require some cleaning up--"

"Wait a minute! I didn't know I could do magic, maybe this is my special talent!"

She glanced at her flank, expecting a cutie mark to form around there at any moment. Yet, there was nothing there at all. She waited longer, only to frown when there wasn't.

"But...I thought...why didn't I get a cutie mark? I can be good at magic, and when this happened to Twilight she got hers. So why didn't it happen to me?"

Rarity brought Sweetie Belle to her, hugging the filly. "I know. You could be a good magician in the future after today, you do have a lot of talent. But cutie marks are for a pony's special talent. And sometimes, you can be good at something and not have it be THE special talent."

"What does that mean?"

"You might be good at magic, but whatever your special talent is, you'll be even better."

Sweetie gave a small smile, and hugged Rarity back. "OK, I guess. I just really thought I found my special talent, but I can keep searching for it."

"Yes, along with your other friends. And don't worry about the dresses, they look fabulous this way. Go downstairs and I'll start making dinner soon."

The filly grinned and ran down the stairs. With time alone again, Rarity went to the desk and threw the original letter to Photo Finish away, and started on a new one.

Dear Photo Finish,

I know when you placed your order, you said not to include gems in the dresses. However, after some recent developments, I think you'll find this fresh new lineup, which I'll call "The Glow Of The Ocean", to exceed your expectations even with gems included.

Expect these to arrive within the next week, and hopefully you will find these exquisite enough to use them for your next photo shoot. One rule: NO FLUTTERSHY!

Signed,
Rarity

She put it in an envelope, wrote out the destination address, and put it away. It was so late the postal service closed ten minutes ago.

Afterward, she went downstairs and saw Sweetie Belle looking confused as all the cabinet drawers were open wide. "Sweetie, what are you doing? I don't mind you helping with cooking, but I'd rather have you wait until I'm down there with you."

"No, it's not that," Sweetie giggled. "I think I zapped away all the pots and pans in your room. I think we need to buy some more at the marketplace..."

AUTHOR'S NOTE; This is a very rough draft, I'll be honest. However, because of recent developments I might not be able to work on editing it for a while, I don't know yet. I believed I owed you guys this chapter after such a long wait, and it will get revised soon, hopefully. So if you have a problem with grammar or sentence structure, this is why.

Comments ( 36 )

Why wasn't my coffee experience anything like this??

Performs a magic-meltdown and doesn't earn her special talent.:unsuresweetie:

--->Wouldn't have it any other way.:moustache:

Aww!:raritydespair:I was hoping for some...magical singing and or cutie mark recieving:yay:

Then Sweetie became Twilight's apprentice. :unsuresweetie:

I love these stories! :pinkiehappy: Keep em coming! :raritywink:

I love what you did with Sweetie Belle...:unsuresweetie:

And you wrote :duck: perfectly. Keep 'em coming! :pinkiehappy:

1189636 So THIS is the backstory for the Sweetie Chronicles! That actually explains a lot.

1189715 That should be a chapter in this. I swear. I beg of thee author, act upon this brilliant point of inspirational light rivaling the flank of Celestia herself...

I love this story. Actually, it makes me wonder, what would happen to Spike if he drank coffee?

1189715 No, enough stories have Discord in them already.

Where is this super coffee?! Me want!

1189715 ^ another this

why is this story now listed "cancelled" ? :fluttershysad:

I understand that it would be chore to repeat her work, especially after all the crap she's put up with, but I think Rarity was in the wrong for sending those dresses off to Photo Finish. The only explanation she gives is "I didn't do what you explicitly asked me because I know what will work best for you." Professionally, that's pretty rude and could even be called insulting.

cancelled?! WHAT?! NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

There were a few spelling errors...but otherwise it was great.
Sorry to see that it's canceled.:fluttershysad::fluttercry:

These are good. All have a completely random and destructive act, then ends on a rather emotionally good note. Dash becoming a Wonderbolt, Rarity saving Sweetie Belle, FlutterMac and Derpy making a buisness, all from drinking some coffee.

I wonder if I'd destroy half of Melbourne if I drank some coffee... Probably not.

Canceled? Nooooooooo! It's Firefly all over again! Curse you Fox!

Canceled?? WHAT?? WHY?? :rainbowhuh::rainbowhuh:

Gah! I've been far too behind on these and I've missed two!
Nice work on them anyway. Good stuff.

Big Mac: Cute.
Derpy Hooves: What...?
Rainbow Dash: Awesome.
Sweetie Belle: Potentially catastrophic.

All great reads. Can't wait for future ones.

(I suggest either Octavia, Celestia or Luna for future chapters, but whatever you think works :twilightsmile: )

You have to restart this.

2137273

I don't know if I ever want to, if I have to be honest. It's just one of those thing where bad feelings surface when I think about it.

You should do a Vinyl Scratch chapter next. I think it would be awesome, a nonstop dj who wants to push the limits of how loud the bass can get, eventually making it so loud everything just vibrates apart.

oh the wonders of coffee.:pinkiehappy:

luna next?:unsuresweetie:

A lightning strike from Sweetie's horn struck the fan above

Looks like...
*puts the shades on*
...shit hit the fan.
img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/2b7bdbb111990bf37974221ec2c8b5bd/http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/CoyoteAllyson/Yeah_Snowflake.jpg

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL STORY! that is all i have to say.

2307877

Ha haa! The fun has been doubled! :twilightblush:

Aww, but you had a pattern and everything. Main pony, supporting pony, background pony, repeat.

Derpy's story was the best IMO. :derpytongue2:

The ads for coffee. LOL.

why no fluttershy?

Login or register to comment