• Published 30th Oct 2017
  • 9,470 Views, 151 Comments

Celestia Plays Civilization - GaPJaxie



From the stone age to the modern world, Celestia guides her little ponies into the future. And she needs to keep playing. Just one more turn. Always one more turn.

  • ...
15
 151
 9,470

Chapter 2

The day began at sunrise. It always did.

She was standing on her balcony, her head held high, her eyes shut tight. When she opened them, the sun had just cleared the horizon. She could see all of Equestria from her balcony, but there were no ponies in it. The cities stood silent. The fields were empty.

Instead, floating in front of her, words appeared in gold.

Diplomatic Victory!

The League of Empires bows before you. Through intrigue and influence, mercy and might, you have neutralized all who would stand in the way of your ascendency. You have proven that your civilization is the most worthy to guide the world into the future.”

And that was all. And all there would ever be.

Celestia reached up, and she gripped both sides of her head. There was something there, that she could feel but that no Equestrian ever could have: a band pulled tight around her eyes, covering them, wrapping them in illusion. She tugged it up and away.

Equestria ceased to exist.

Comments ( 125 )

This reminds me of how I felt when I fished playing OneShot. It's a rare game that can make me feel like its characters are my friends instead of NPCs; OneShot was one of those. Ending the game meant saying goodbye. That was bittersweet, but only a little, since I'd worked so hard and put the main character through so much to get to that point. Finishing the game felt like something the main character had earned.

Man, three hours and unedited? Geez.

This totally wasn't what I expected...I expected comedy and videogames, not sad and somewhat dark.

However the story is all the better because it wasn't what I expected. I wonder....what happened to all of Equestria. For that matter, how does Luna fit into this picture.

*sighs* I wish I could win a Diplomatic Victory before the invention of Electricity. :D

Still a good and surprising read.

I feel that this should have the Sad tag.

Diplomatic victories are the worst, aren't they? Always nagging you every twenty turns to ask if you're done nuking the planet. :trollestia:
She should try Beyond Equestria if she really can't bring herself to hit continue after the victory screen! The wonder quests add a whole new facet to the game.

Ah. Not the mechanism I was expecting, but...
Of course! Of course you could and would take a silly premise like this and fill it with depth and melancholy and, things!
Well. Definitely enjoyed reading it, even if its nature was un(but perhaps should have been)expected. :)

Also, three hours and unedited? Congratulations!

8519201
"She should try Beyond Equestria if she really can't bring herself to hit continue after the victory screen!"
Ah, but this version doesn't appear to have that as an option. I was thinking that, at the end but before the very end: "Oh, this is where the button to continue (without a score or further victory conditions, but she doesn't care) appears; she must be doing this for the first time and not know about it!" And then... it didn't.

Oh, Celestia ... Didn't you see the other button? The one marked Just ... one ... more ... turn ...

Good short story:derpytongue2:. Felt kinda like it was from the game characters point of view in civ game. Like what happens to all those citizens when you DON'T press the "one more turn"-button.
And also reminded me of gamers 3: The hands of fate.

OKAY YOU DICK, I HAVE A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD AS A COLD AND HEARTLESS BASTARD AND YOU PULLING SHIT LIKE THIS IS GOING TO MAKE ME LOSE THAT TITLE SO TAKE YOUR FUCKING LIKE AND BE SAD ABOUT IT BECAUSE NOW I AM

Don't we all feel like this when we really get immersed in playing a game?
It's one of the most beautiful things our imagination can give us.

8519233
Maybe in her version of Civ don't have this button?
This fic feel like Celestia is cursed by some vile godlike power to this hell. Playing Civ, but all these advisors, city populations are true peoples. And when you win and bring eternal peace, it's all restart so you can't live and look at happiness in your eternal paradise. Like Sisyphus, but far worse. Because it's not only about her, but also about millions of her citizens doomed with happy ending.

Celestia here is good goddess, that can't build fully good world, because if she, then she loses it.

Edit: Kinda curious, which Civilization it is? My favorite is fifth, but it feel more like 4th.

No one tell Celestia about that guy who's been playing the same game of Civ 2 for like 10 years. She'll feel REAL dumb she let this end.

Ok it is the diplomatic victory she's won. Now the real question is did she keep all those city-states as allies for hundreds of turns or did she just buy them all up at the last second.

Also 43 likes and no dislikes yet
s2.quickmeme.com/img/cf/cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

P.S. : Shouldn't the title image be of Celestia's diplomatic screen and not Luna's?

But but... the "jut one.. more.. turn" option :raritycry:

Also this needs the sad tag

This really needs the sad tag. And dark. Because fuck, that hurt.

This version really needs savestates.

Credit where it's due for a speed writing piece. Author lured me here, as someone who typically avoids crossovers, under the assumption it would be a short and funny piece about Celestia playing Civ instead of actually running her country. Instead, I got nothing I expected but really something I enjoy. I had noticed the conspicuous lack of a comedy tag, but brushed it off. Likewise a lack of slice of life or anything similar. That being said, and while this had me unexpectedly choked with feels... I'm not sure a sad tag quite fits it. It isn't sad really. Emotional and melancholic sure, but it doesn't feel right to call this sad. It's the bizarre feeling one gets when looking at a beautiful flower garden, realizing it will all die one day, and ultimately appreciating it more because of that. Thus story draws on our innate angst with the mortal coil; the knowledge that no matter how much we achieve in life and how great we may become, it all has to come to an end eventually. Time treats everything with the same respect in the end.

Maybe I'm spending too much of my limited time into a short My Little Pony Fanfic that was created in under 3 hours, though I feel it's little thought provoking things like this that have me appreciate day to day life a bit more.
10/10

Shocks #19 · Oct 30th, 2017 · · 1 ·

0/10

unrealistic

gandhi would have nuked her ass by now

8519576
You're forgetting: Celestia is the Ghandi.

Celestia could see the morning twilight and the pre-dawn if she was playing Civ6. But of course she would be too busy chopping down the Everfree Forest.

A uniquely tragic take on what it is to be Celestia. Yes, there are some holes one could poke if one assumes that Civilization XII takes after earlier entries in the series, but this is incredibly poignant and impactful for a speedwriting piece. Thank you for it.

This hurts, it hurts the same as when you lose your squad in Xcom towards the end of the game.:applecry:

It's a good thing she wasn't playing Dominions, but this was a really poignant piece that's for sure and worth the upvote.

This is surprisingly feels-y. Probably never gonna play Stellaris or other 4X games the same way again now. Gotta make the pops real people with feelings even though they are only 1s and 0s.

Damn... just, damn. I know technology is advancing at an alarming rate. I know that within 30 or so years this could be a reality. All I hope is that they add a continue to play option.

This was way better than it had any right to be. Take all my likes.

I want this to be the way the world ends. Nice, and quick...Wow I can be gloomy if I want to be.

*sniffs* oh man, the feels! Right in the feels! Well written indeed!
Any possibility of more?

And so the world ends. Not with a bang, but end of game.

Well, it is halloween. Time for Horror Stories.

Tl:Dr

!

Well. That worked.

This hit me right in the feels :raritycry:

I'm Surprised that you didn't put the sad tag on this story

Y'know... At first I thought this would be a silly crackfic... Maybe about Celestia buying a computer and trying futilely to play Civ despite her centuries of governing experience.

I am glad I was wrong.

This was . . surprisingly dark somehow O.o

Interesting little detail is how Celestia can't taste the tea. I guess all other "pleasurable" experiences are deliberately disabled to avoid players forgetting it's just a game and staying. Didn't work here obviously.

8520409

She also can't feel Twilight's touch, and needs to check visually to see if she's spilled hot tea on herself. All the tactile sensations are disabled -- beyond the absolute minimum required for walking.

Now she just needs to be introduced to Stellaris: she'll never sleep again.

8520450

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today, my friends and I learned a valuable lesson about friendship and about the Unrestricted Wars civic policy. While the freedom to attack empires that are inhibiting your territory growth seems tempting at first, Liberation Wars followed by research agreements ultimately provide greater long-term benefit to your empire!

Your faithful hero unit,

Twilight Sparkle

I just noticed "Complete" mark.
I feel this idea deserve more, that it may be really expanded. It may be, I don't know, about origin of Celestia's "game", some showing of relations between Celestia and Luna.
For real long shot it can be appearing of salvation of Celestia in form of... second true player.
But this is still really good.

8520431

Now I wish there were more Stellaris stories on here. Twilight leading a future Equestria through the Space Age seems like an amazing idea for a short story. Maybe something like this where she's effectively won the game, facing against the Unbidden and deliberately forcing a stalemate, keeping a tiny empire on the edge of Unbidden territory alive so she can't win a Domination victory.

Being a new Civ player, no doubt I’m gonna cry when my game is over.

Always figured she'd be more an Age of Wonders player than Civ, but yeah. This is how this kind of thing goes sometimes.

Oh man... :twilightoops::ajsleepy:

In my opinion, a good Halloween story for Civ players who are also MLP fans.

That ending... :pinkiesad2:

This really need the DARK tag.

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who expected Celestia to get nuked by the Griffons at the end.

Unrealistic, missing "Wait! Just...One... More... Turn..." option. :rainbowwild:

Nice story! Although I feel it lacks a distinct vibe of Ghandi nuking everything.

That aside, can you please share your Luna fic cover-art? Cause it is waaaaaaaaay small in the original format.

Yeah definitely missing the Sad Tag.

8521190
It's printscreen of diplomacy page from actual mod for Civ 5, which add Lunar Republic, with Luna as ruler, as normal nation.

Login or register to comment