• Published 29th Nov 2017
  • 2,022 Views, 74 Comments

New Horizons - BlackWing



Third story, following Griffin the Griffin and Falling Feathers, centering on Seth

  • ...
4
 74
 2,022

Vagrant (2)

Vagrant

I headed to the library in the castle and looked up a directory of all the schools in the country.

"Surely nobody has ever tried applying to all of them have they?" I mused to myself. Since summer had just begun and I was planning on exploring the whole of Equestria before I settled in anyways, I figured the best thing would be applying to every school in the country, then whenever I didn't know where to go I could just head to the location of the next school on the list.

"A.... Appleoosa Agricultural Center, farm school ehh, could be alright. Bitsburg Technical Institute, interesting. Celestia's school of Gifted Unicorns, Cloudsdale Weather Central..." The list went on and on. I decided, rather than apply to EVERY school, just to pick the ones that piqued my interest, and I had NO interest in learning about rock farming.

Thankfully each application was simple. Name: Seth North. Interests: Many. Special talent:

"Hmm... I think if I put 'Shadow Manipulation' I'm going to get rejected from pretty much everywhere so 'Utility magic' it is." It's not a lie, I can do more than just manipulate shadows. Next was place of residence. Um... well, I don't live in the New Dominion anymore, and I don't have a house here, I just make a place to sleep in the clouds whenever I need a rest. I'll just put down 'varied'. If I'm homeless by choice, I guess that means I'm a vagrant. Wait, if I don't have a place of residence, how will I get any replies? This could actually be a problem. Hmm. What if I just deliver them personally, and wait for a reply? That could work.

Since I was in Canterlot already, I decided that Celestia's school would be the first one I applied to. I filled out the paperwork, then handed it to the secretary, who looked at me quizzically.

"Um, sir, are you aware that you are applying for Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns?"

"Yes, that is correct." I replied.

"Are you aware that it is a school, for... well... " She eyed me up and down, ".... gifted unicorns?" She winced, clearly uncomfortable from this awkward situation.

"Yep. There is no mistake." The mare facehoofed, then groaned and rubbed her eyes.

"Okay then. I'll forward your application. The entry exam is in two days, Wednesday at 2:00 pm sharp."

"Thank you. Is there anything I should study?" I asked.

"No, the entry exam is more a test of general talent, rather than specific knowledge. Just show up, do what the instructors say, try not to embarrass yourself. That's about it." I thanked her again, then left. If I had two days, I might as well head to Ponyville and hand in my application to Twilight's school.


A few hours of flying and I reached the small town. The feature that stood out the most being crystal tree that sparkled and shone, and was comically oversized compared to the rest of the buildings in the town. I glid down to the front door and gave it a knock.

"Yes, I'll be there in a second." Came a deep, masculine voice, bearing some annoyance. There were some audible footsteps of someone coming down a set of stairs before the door opened, and I found myself face to face with a young, purple dragon. His height matched mine, and he seemed remarkably fit for someone who lived in what is essentially a giant library.

"Hello, can I help you?" He asked.

"Yes, I'm here to apply to this school."

"Oh, okay. Yeah, come on in and take a seat." I passed him my application form. "You know you could have mailed this right?"

"I don't have a mailing address, I wouldn't be able to get a reply."

"Ah, makes sense." He showed me to a couch, where I seated myself. "I'll go get Twilight, be back in just a second."

He opened his wings and flew up to the top of the large, open lobby we were in, then landed and walked down a passage, out of sight. About twenty minutes later he returned, with a purple alicorn in tow.

"Greetings, I am Princess Twilight Sparkle, and this is my assistant, Spike. I'm told you are interested in applying to my school?" She asked politely. I don't know why, but when she introduced herself, I found myself thinking of a toilet brush.

"Yes, I am, thus the application. I'm applying to several schools, hopefully one of them accepts." I answered. "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Seth North." Her eye twitched a little at that, but otherwise continued normally.

"What subjects do you intend to study here? Weather manipulation?"

"Unicorn magic, and practical use of utility magic."

"It's rather, unorthodox... having a griffin study unicorn magic, seeing as how you won't be able to use it, it will make it difficult to study the thought-forms... hmm, no, it's theoretically possible..." She then tapped her hoof to her chin repeatedly, 'hmm'-ing, deep in thought. "If anything, it should be a unique challenge. Do you think you're up to it?"

"Well, that's what I aim to find out." I replied.

"Okay then, a test! We'll run through different tasks to determine your baseline ability. For starters..." She took out a book, and set it on the floor. "Open this book to page 238, without touching it."

"Alright." I reached out with my shadow, making a platform under the book which then lifted it up into the air, and floated it towards me, much like a dark lectern. A small tendril sprouted from the top of the lectern, then flipped through the pages until it reached 238. "Done."

"Okay... that's different, but, good. Next, do you know how to make a barrier?"

"Safe Space." The world went dark. The barrier severed me from the rest of reality, denying entry to light and sound, matter and energy of any kind. It would be correct to think of it like being protected from reality itself. A pocket dimension. Something a certain unicorn ghost had taught me when I accidentally opened his journal. Of course, the words for casting that spell were more akin to 'The absolute protection of dimensional severance, loosely held by the frayed threads of the cloth of reality, denied chaos by my will, granted eternity by the void', but I had mentally associated that spell and it's meanings to different words.

A few seconds later Twilight appeared inside, with an illumination spell active.

"This is amazing. You created an extra dimensional space, then pulled yourself into it. You've been gone for ten minutes before I came in looking for you. How do you have the energy reserves to maintain the spell for this long?" She asked excitedly.

"I don't. For me, it was only 10 seconds, and I can only maintain it for about four minutes, internal time. We all travel forward through time, but the theory of relativity states that the speed at which we travel through it can be different. That space doesn't follow the same rules as this universe, so its time flow can be a lot slower. Also, how did you get in?"

"I analyzed your spell, replicated it for myself, and then joined our spaces. Think of it like two bubbles merging." She joyfully explained. "In any case, this is incredibly advanced, where did you learn something like this?

"Oh, a certain unicorn mage my dad knows. He lives in a pocket dimension he created in a book. Anyway, I have the skill to use several highly advanced spells, but I lack the basics and general knowledge. It's like knowing how to do something without knowing how it works, like flying without knowing anything about air pressure or wind currents. Apparently teleportation is something similar to this, but I have no idea how to do that. That's why I want to learn the basics, then I'll be able to design my own spells." I ended the spell, as did she, and we snapped back into reality. It was now nightfall.

"Uh, oops. That took longer than it should have." Twilight grinned. "In any case, I've decided to accept your application."

"Well, that's good. I also applied to Celestia's school, and my entry exam is in two days.

"Well, given the ability you displayed here, I think you'll do fine, though I wonder, what if you get accepted to both schools?"

"Well then, I'll have to pick one."


I wasted time bumming around in Ponyville. I caught some fish, cooked em on a campfire, then flew back to Canterlot for my exam. All the applicants were seated in a waiting room, and were called one at a time to take their test. The waiting room was filled with unicorns of various ages. Some were foals, others on the cusp of adolescence, and there was even a unicorn mare my age, with a yellow coat and orange mane. Most of the other applicants looked at me strangely, but the one my age approached.

"Well heya. The name's Pumpkin Cake. I don't mean to offend but, what's a griffin doing applying to a school for gifted unicorns?" She asked.

"My name's Seth. And, honestly, I don't really know. The fact that I probably shouldn't be here just makes me want to be here. That, and a prankster friend of mine put me up to it." I replied.

"Well, good luck to you anyway."

Pony after pony entered, being called in one at a time. Each time there was some noise as various spells went off, and then the next would be called in. Pumpkin Cake went in before me, and a few minutes later, I was called in.

All the previous applicants were seated in what were a lot like bleachers from a sporting event. Basically, whether you passed or failed, you were to watch the other applicants to see what they did differently, that way even if you didn't succeed, you could learn from those who did.

"Last one for today, Seth North. Alright, this... "The instructor held out a round, smooth looking stone. "... is a dragon egg." She set it on the floor. "Your test is to hatch it." Then she stepped back and took a seat next to other examiners.

I walked up to the egg. I looked at it. I rubbed my claws over it. I spun it, then grabbed it to stop it, quickly releasing it. It did not start spinning again.

"This..." I pointed to the 'egg' "... is a rock. It is not an egg. It is a rock. Hatching this 'egg' would require the caster to transmute it INTO an egg, then hatch it. I am incapable of doing that which is why I want to learn."

Princess Celestia stepped forward, from her own observation seat. "Under normal circumstances, a unicorn would not be able to hatch a dragon egg. This test is to see how creative the student is in their attempts, and to see how well they handle failure. However, since somepony actually managed to hatch the egg several years ago, we've taken to using rocks instead. The fact that you were able to determine that it was a rock without casting any spells on it says a great deal about your critical thinking and reasoning skills, though very little of your magical talent. I did however receive a letter of recommendation from Princess Twilight regarding you."

Celestia smiled.

"That being said, I must refuse your application. Not because you lack in talent, but rather because you would find yourself stifled and unable to advance. My school is a school of the tried and true, of the rigid and unyielding, not of experimentation and progress. That is, after all, what Princess Twilight's school is for. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors there."

"Well, thanks." I replied cheerfully. "Honestly your school seems a bit too stuffy for me anyway. I was planning on turning down the offer if I got accepted, but I wanted to take the test anyways."

With that, I left. I was followed by Pumpkin Cake.

"Well whaddya know. Looks like we'll be going to school together. I failed the test, but got accepted to Twilight's school as well."

"Well, I guess I'll see you this fall then Pumpkin."


"Appaloosa Agricultural Institute, you're next."