• ...
13
 32
 1,834

8 A Date With Sunset

Less than twenty-four hours later; Sunset Shimmer went from being the ‘Head Bitch in Charge’ of Canterlot High School; to the bottom of the charts. Quite a few students decided to take out frustrations by slamming into, or tripping Sunset any chance they got. By lunchtime; the cafeteria had a visible divide as no one wanted to be anywhere near her.

“Excuse me for a moment.”

“Are you sure,” Rarity asked “You saw what happened last night.”

“I did; and I don't care.”

Sitting alone on her ‘side’ of the cafeteria; Sunset saw Brian leave his friends and make his way to her table. The same five girls that stood against her last night, tried to convince him against it; to no avail.

“Go away. I want to be alone. You’ll treat me like the rest of the school; an outcast,” Sunset stated, trying to hold back tears

“Nope, not going to happen. How’s about this; Heads, I sit with you; Tails, you sit with me,” Brian commented, pulling out his trick coin

As he flipped it Sunset grabbed it to call the landing.

“You cheated by using a two face coin. Not fair,” she said turning the coin over in her hand

“Didn't matter anyway. I was planning on sitting with you regardless of the result.”

“Just go away. This school would be better if I wasn't here,” she said in a low voice

“What do you mean by that?”

“Just that. Leave me in peace.”

Brian watched as a small case was removed from her jacket pocket. Sunset opened it up to reveal a small razor blade that she set on the table. The sleeves on her leather jacket were pulled up just past her wrists before she picked the blade back up with very shaky hands. Despite having the blade hovering above her left wrist; a series of twitches resonated from her fingertips. Watching the movement; he understood the meaning of it.

.... . .-.. .--. / -- .

“Do it,” someone yelled

“Go away,” she begged as her voice quivered, signaling her hesitation “You don't want to see this.”

“You're right. I don’t.”

He calmly grabbed her right wrist to secure it before using his other hand to gently remove the blade from her grasp.

“Give it back,” she pouted, as she reached for his hand “I need it.”

“No, you don’t. In fact; I'm going to make the razor blade disappear.”

“Pussy,” the same student yelled again

He placed the blade on his palm and used the other hand to cover it. Concentrating for a moment; a small burst of Hellfire was created and dissipated quickly destroying the blade. Brian opened his hand to allow the small bit of ash to land on the table.

“Why would you do that,” she demanded “Why won't you let me die!?”

“That's it,” he said, standing up “Summon up your hatred! Hit me! Fight me! Give me a hug!”

“What? You want me to hit you,” she questioned “Have it your way.”

Everyone watched as she jumped out of her seat and stepped in front of him. Drawing back a fist; she brought it all the way to the tip of his nose before stopping.

“I can't do it. I prefer to hit someone when they don't see it coming,” she said, dropping to her knees in defeat

“Miss Shimmer,” Celestia called “I'd like you, Mr. Snailovich and Mr. Snipaster to follow me.”

Without a word, Snips and Snails threw their trash away before heading through the crowd of students to catch up to Celestia. Brian helped Sunset to her feet before they joined the others.

“What's he doing,” Dash asked, dumbfounded “He wasn't involved with them.”

“You'd have to ask Brian about that,” AJ countered

Celestia led the four to the entrance where the rubble still remained from the night prior. Next to the area were brooms, trowels, concrete bags and a pallet of bricks as they understood what would be required.

“Brian; what exactly are you here for,” Celestia asked “They are here to clean up the damage from last night.”

“I said last night that I would accept any punishment. And from what I recall; I initiated a dogfight that caused Sunset’s attacks to miss. So based on that principle; I caused some of this.”

“You are not going to talk him out of this,” Luna realized “The four of you will clean up the debris from the area and start rebuilding the wall.”

“First of all; let's get this swept up,” Brian suggested

“Snips; you're with me,” Sunset directed “Snails; go with him.”

“Yes ma'am,” came the reply

Having been given their marching orders; the four broke off and started working. Brian and Sunset grabbed the brooms and pushed everything into two piles while the others dumped it into a nearby container.

“How are we going to get this done,” Snips asked, motioning towards the wall

“I don't know anything about this either,” Snails added

“They really don’t expect us to actually do this,” Sunset demanded “Do they?”

“Let's get started. Gents; could you take one of the bags of cement and get it started? Just follow the instructions on it. Sunset; would you mind helping me get the new bricks in place?”

“Looks like I don't have a choice,” she replied dismissively

Under Brian's guidance; he and Sunset would get the cement spread, while Snips and Snails placed the new bricks. Over the course of the next three hours; they were able to have the entire area rebuilt and recleaned before being done.

“Nice job; everyone,” Luna complimented “It looks really good.”

“Since it's getting late; my sister and I will drive you home if you'd like,” Celestia offered

After Snips and Snails went with Luna; Sunset headed over to Celestia and whispered something in her ear. In response; the latter nodded and walked away, leaving Brian confused as to what transpired.

“Well,” Sunset started “Let's get going!”

“Where to; exactly,” he asked, hoping for some clarification

“Isn't it obvious? Your house; of course,” she demanded

Despite the time, he was planning on heading home; but wasn't expecting to have company. The walk to their destination was silent as neither knew what to possibly say to start a conversation. Once inside the house; she mimicked his action of placing the backpack against the wall by the door.

“Thank you,” she said, finally breaking the silence

“What did I do?”

“You,” she started, before pausing a moment to find the right words “You saved me.”

“I couldn't let you do all the work without trying to help.”

“Not that,” she replied, shaking her head, trying to hold back tears

“Sorry if I unintentionally offended you.”

“I…I…di…didn't,” she started through tears

“It's okay. Take your time.”

“I don’t want to die,” she exclaimed

“I couldn't stand by with my thumb in my ass. Twilight asked the others to show you friendship and wanted to keep me away. I'm going to have a little chat with Twilight about their actions.”

“The portal closed last night. How are you going to contact her?”

“Using this,” he replied holding up the journal “In fact; why don't you use it first?”

"Are you sure,” she questioned

“Of course. You have more of a need right now than I do. Just write and there should be an answer.”

“Thank you for letting me use it.”

“You're welcome. I'll be downstairs if you need me.”

● SUNSET ●

Testing. Is this working?

Brian? Is that you? It's Twilight.

No; it's Sunset.

I see.

Twilight; I'd like to start off first by apologizing. It was wrong of me to do what I did. You were an innocent bystander in the path of my misguided anger. For that; I'm sorry.

Apology not accepted.

I should not have expected any less. I bucked up by doing and saying things I now regret. Having the princess as my mentor; I thought I needed to be better than the royals that came to see her; only for me to be worse. When I didn't get my way at becoming an alicorn; I ran away. I have spent the last four years trying to survive when I arrived as a teenage girl at 13. Thank you for at least listening to me rant write.

Did the five girls help?

No. Despite it being only last night; no one wanted to help me as some shoved into me.

My goodness; that’s awful.

There's more. The five that stood with you didn't want to try and even attempted Brian from seeing me.

I'm sorry to learn about that.

With the treatment I received; I wanted to end it all.

What do you mean by ‘end it all’?

Die. I was going to kill myself until he stopped me.

I'd love to have a chat with the others; but the portal is closed and I don't know if I can open it any time soon.

Thanks again for at least giving me a chance.

After finishing up the confession; she decided to try and find where he was. The first two doors opened led to the bathroom and a bedroom before the third try led to success.

● BRIAN ●

“Brian,” she called “You down here?”

“Yeah. Everything go okay with the conversation?”

“Can I pass on answering that for now?”

“If you want.”

“How often do you play,” she asked, looking at the instruments

“Every day. I usually switch between cello and guitar. Do you play by any chance,” Brian asked

Sunset grabbed his guitar and started playing different rifts, “I started playing a little while after entering here from Equestria. I want to join the Rainbooms but after the damage I caused I don’t know if they’ll let me. Can we officially start over as friends? My name's Sunset Shimmer,” she suggested, holding out a hand

“Brian Dragnov,” he said shaking her hand

“Can I ask you something private?”

“Go ahead.”

“Why did you choose to stop me last night,” she asked

“Perhaps it'll be better to see for yourself,” he mused handing over his phone “Here, take a look at this and tell me I haven't been where you are.”

“This is your Nightmare form? I can’t believe you killed someone though,” Sunset said in disbelief

“Yeah that's me. But if you noticed I did manage to revert back to myself with help. I had to kill her as Grogar raised the dead, including my parents. Seeing them caused me to awaken Ignis.” Brian explained

“Why would you show me this? I understand what I did was due to a lust for power but yours looked as though you were in full control. Is this supposed to make me feel better,” she asked, questioning his decision

“I wanted to show you that you weren't alone. It might look to be that I had control but that was only instinct. It felt like I was in a cage while the events played out. Cadence, the Princess of Love along with Chrysalis were both shocked that someone could have that much hate inside them,” Brian answered

“Does this world's Octavia, your girlfriend, know about all this,” Sunset asked

“Yeah and although she was shocked as the revelation of their being an alternate world with her as a pony, once she watched the video and understand what happened did she feel relieved,” he answered “By the way, Sunset I’m sorry for any trouble Ignis caused in the fight.”

“I just can’t believe that it was you fighting me as that black dragon,” Sunset said “There is something else I'd like to know as well.”

“What else would you like to know?”

“Your entry into Equestria. You mentioned it vaguely as I'm curious about it.”

“My entry to Equestria? Technically I entered Equestria by Discord kicking my ass, literally, into a portal there. After I became an alicorn Celestia and Twilight showed me the portal that leads here. Having already graduated from high school once I knew about some things to expect including someone who was to be the school queen, no offense,” he explained in a shortened version

“Normally I would have thought you’d be crazy but considering I was originally a pony that entered a portal to a human realm, I really can’t argue. By the way, just how bad was the lightning,” Sunset commented

Brian took his shirt off showing her his muscular torso that was covered leaving only his back without scars. Along with the scars were the two bands Ignis gave him days ago.

“Why isn’t your back covered if your arms and chest are,” she wondered “And what's with the other marks?”

“I can only guess it was due to the chair having a rubber back that I leaned against. Thankfully it isn’t that bad,” he said putting the shirt back on “And to your second point; the design on my forearms is my cutie mark and the bands on my arms are from my Nightmare form; Ignis granting me a portion of his power.”

“On a different topic; if this is your music room, what is the rest of the room?”

“A small dojo. Back at home I train in karate and Taekwondo and hold black belts in both, with a 2nd Dan in taekwondo,” he answered

“I had Rainbow Dash show me some human martial arts so I could protect myself; but it was before we were in high school. By the way let’s head upstairs, I’m kinda hungry,” she said as her stomach growled

“Sounds good. You’re welcome to stay the night as it is getting late.”

“Have any of the girls been here,” she asked blushing

“Twilight and company came by to work on plans for her to run for princess and Octavia was here after my first day of school and did stay the night.”

“The same day that I regret my actions against you. In fact, after you left to visit your parents, I followed you so I could apologize to them for what I did. Octavia watched me leave flowers and I asked her not to tell you. I wanted to be the one to say that I was sorry to your in person,” Sunset finished

“You said it now and that’s all that matters. I wondered if what I said that day was right. It’s true that my parents are dead, in fact I could show you the image in question if you want. Any idea on what you want to eat?”

“Yes on the image and you might think I’m crazy but I haven't had a steak in years,” she answered

“Same. I haven’t told Fluttershy as she’ll be irate about humans eating meat.”

“There is, or probably was; a place that served meat to ponies. I went twice and that was before I left Equestria a few years ago. Celestia knew about the store and helped them select the meat. It was a place so exclusive that a visitor needed at least two people to vouch for them,” she explained

“The last time I had meat was upon entering from Discord. I was in the forest and a rabbit wandered near me and thankfully I was in my griffin form to enjoy the meat, although raw.”

Sunset opened the freezer and withdrew a steak the two of them decided was big enough to share.

“Best steak I’ve had,” she said

“Agreed. If you want to practice guitar feel free to come over.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Brian. Thanks for allowing me to stay.”

“No problem. Besides I’ve seen the way the students looked at you and I know it may be some time before they accept you,” Brian answered

“You know; I don't think the task was meant to be completed,” she said absent mindedly

“What do you mean by that?”

“I believe Principal Celestia wanted us to clean up the damage; but was actually surprised when the entire wall was rebuilt,” she added

Looking at the clock they realized it was almost midnight. Luckily it was Friday and neither had plans for the next day. Brian showed Sunset to one of the other rooms as she said she was uncomfortable sleeping in bed with him for now.

“Octavia and I slept together the night she came over,” he said causing her to raise an eyebrow

“And what did you two do,” she asked curiously

“Slept. She on one side of the bed and me on the other. At the time; I was still thinking about my parents murder-suicide and I didn’t want to be alone so Octavia slept in bed with me to keep me company,” he explained

“Now that you said it I really regret treating you like shit back then. I never would have thought that that was how they died when you mentioned it,” Sunset said crying

“Cheer up. They taught me to be strong although there are times in when I crack. Please don’t repeat this to anyone. In the morning I’ll show you that image and others.”

“Deal. Good night.”

As usual, before 7 Brian was up like clockwork in the dojo training. He was so into his training that he didn’t notice Sunset was watching from the steps.

“How long have you been there,” he asked

“About ten minutes. I went by your room and didn't see you so I thought to check down here. Do you think you could teach me a little more? Dash showed me some basics but she’s not as high as you. I think she is a red belt in karate.”

“After breakfast I’ll show you some slightly advanced techniques and some grappling that should help as well,” Brian said

“I’ll make pancakes for us if you want. Besides after being here for years, they are the quickest to make,” Sunset said jokingly

“I’ll help out. Besides it goes quicker with multiple hands working.”

The two of them ate and afterward he showed Sunset the images of his family, including the box he hid in his closet.

“These vials have blood in them? Weird tribute to your parents, no offense,” Sunset said

“I guess I wanted a permanent and living reminder of them. Only Octavia has seen this box.”

Brian showed her the other photos and even Sunset was impressed with his accomplishments.

“So you really are older than everyone here. Just how old are you?”

“Twenty-five. I’d guess that everyone is between sixteen and eighteen. Luna and Celestia I’m not going to guess but they hold years over me to say the least,” Brian answered

“I know Octavia is the same age I am at eighteen. Scootaloo, Sweetie Bell and Applebloom are sixteen,” Sunset added

“Now that we’ve waited long enough for our food to digest, how’s about I teach you what I promised?”

“I’m going to need to borrow a pair of your karate pants. Training in a skirt isn’t the best idea and I don’t need you looking up it,” she commented

“I knew you’d say that so I already had a pair waiting in the room. I’ll wait downstairs while you change,” he joked

Sunset changed into the pants but kept her regular shirt on out of habit. True to his word he was downstairs stretching while he waited.

“What did you plan on teaching me? I learned some basics but that’s all Dash showed me,” she asked “Although it's been quite some time ago.”

“Some grappling you might like. Best used to restrain someone without causing much harm, although one technique that I’m going to show you should be used as a last resort,” he explained

“How bad is it? Deadly or what?”

“It can be if held too long. I’ll show you. It’s called the rear naked choke. I’ll use it very lightly,” he said

During the training he showed Sunset how to apply different arm and leg locks in case she had to defend herself. Once she understood the dangers of using a rear naked choke, Sunset promised it would only be used as a last resort.

“One thing I’m sure you know is against a male attacker,” he started

“Yeah; kick ‘em in the groin. Flash learned that. It was ‘that time of the month’ and I just kicked him there.”

“And I know exactly what he was thinking as he clutched his balls. ‘She kicked me in the balls. Why? Why did she kick me in the balls’,” he said in a high voice causing her to laugh

“A fan of Dragonball Z Abridged, huh?”

“Yeah, my best friend got me into it,” he said with a laugh

“So how do you know what he was thinking,” she asked

“When I was younger I climbed a ladder and slipped, landing crotch first,” he answered causing her to wince in pain

“Um; based on a comment that was made yesterday; is it possible for you to get the other five girls here,” she asked cryptically

“I can try.”

Brian sent Pinkie a text asking if she would be able to come over as soon as possible. She promised to forward the text to the other four. About an hour later; the sound of knocking on the door resonated in the living room. Opening the door revealed the five girls he wanted to see.

“What's so important you called us here,” Rarity asked

“Well; I believe two people are missing before we begin,” he started as Sunset emerged “Good. All eight are present and accounted for.”

“I count seven people,” Applejack argued

“And a book,” Pinkie interjected “Ooh, is the eighth person going to come out of the book?”

“Sort of.”

“Why's the raging she-beast here,” Dash demanded

“Sunset is here as my guest and I don't care to have anyone insulted.”

Sunset handed over the journal to him for use. He wrote a simple message to Twilight.

Twilight; it's Brian. The girls are assembled. You write what you want; and I'll read it to them.

I'll have Spike dictate everything to you.

“You asked why I called you here. Twilight has something to discuss with you and I'm going to be reading her very words.”

“Go ahead Twilight.”

Girls; I asked you to show Sunset friendship and according to her; you not only neglected to do so, but you also tried to prevent Brian from assisting her. I am aware that friendship will take a while; but at least try to do so

“We didn't want you getting hurt by going over there,” Rarity commented

“By leaving me alone,” Sunset questioned

GirlsI don't know if anyone actually knew it; but Sunset told me she planned on ending it all, as she termed it. I may not know that much about humans; but that would mean her death was caUSED BY YOU!

(um; Twilight, you're on fire.
I know I am; Spike.

No; I mean your mane and tail are burning.

Are you writing this down as well!?

Uh yeah. (Don't read this section!)

“I can't get that image out of my head,” Dash said through a fit of giggles "I'm on fire!"

“Sunset; I'd like to offer an apology,” Fluttershy started

“Thank you for that; Fluttershy. I'm sorry about bullying you years ago as well,” Sunset replied, hugging her

“I have to apologize as well,” AJ added sadly “I would've helped you if I'd known what you were planning.”

“Honestly; I was in a dark place yesterday. Truth is; I really didn't want to do it, but was too ashamed to ask for help,” Sunset said, starting to cry

“I also promise to give you a second chance at friendship,” Rarity decided

“I'm still hesitant,” Dash decided “You did cause a lot of damage to our friendships.”

“I forgive you Sunny,” Pinkie said excitedly “Everyone needs a second chance.”

“Well; at least this has been productive. From this point forward; we start over and give one another a chance.”

“Sounds fair to me,” Pinkie decided

“Me too,” Fluttershy chimed in

“Definitely,” AJ added

“Of course; darling,” was Rarity’s reply

“I don't know. You'll have to work hard to prove me wrong,” a stubborn Dash decided

“Fine with me. I'd like to make some amends for my screw-ups,” Sunset finished

After their conversation; the group started to depart as most had some kind of assignment that was due on Monday.