• Published 28th Oct 2017
  • 3,254 Views, 220 Comments

Dark Souls 2: Rarity's Trials - Blackdrag-rose



Rarity's curiosity gets the better of her and she steps through the crystal mirror. Now she's in an unfamiliar world, with an unfamiliar body, and she's cursed with being undead as well... and has to complete an insane quest to go home.

  • ...
27
 220
 3,254

Chapters Next
Start of an Adventure

Rarity let out a small sigh as she sat on one of the chairs that rested in her dining room, though she followed that up by using her magic to pour herself some tea and then levitated the cup up to her lips, where she took a few light sips from the cup before she set it back on the table. She had just finished her latest talk with Discord, the Spirit of Disharmony, who came by every couple of days to tell her, over his version of a picnic no less, about the latest adventures that her 'missing' friends had gone on. According to the stories that the draconequus told her Pinkie was supposed to be in some strange world where they used guns, vehicles, and a strange energy against their opponents, while Rainbow Dash and Applejack were busy being the daughters of a god and were fighting universe ending monsters. There was also the matter of Lyra Heartstrings and Trixie Lulamoon, who were apparently off on their own adventure in a world that was different than Equus, the world she and her friends called home.

When Discord finished his various tales he returned her to her house and left her to her own designs, where she usually returned to her work so she could catch up on whatever order she was supposed to have been working on for all the hours that she had missed. She had to drink her calming tea whenever Discord left her alone, because sometimes his tales hurt her head more than she was willing to admit, especially since she knew what her friends were doing at the moment. According to Twilight, who had the most interaction with the girls at the moment, Pinkie was off visiting her family and wouldn't be back for a few weeks, Applejack had some sort of family gathering she was attending by herself, and Rainbow had gone off to Cloudsdale for a week or two, likely visiting her parents.

On the other hoof, however, Rarity had no idea where Lyra was, as when she asked Bon Bon the candy maker had said that she hadn't seen her roommate in a couple of days, and no one had seen Trixie since the last time she had come through Ponyville.

Rarity was only being polite to Discord as she listened to his strange stories about what her friends were doing, but the stories that revolved around Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer, however, were some of the strangest she had heard yet. According to Discord the two missing unicorns, or more accurately one newly ascended alicorn and one unicorn, were in a part of the universe where they could travel between worlds, used large guns to deal with their enemies, and had a large number of exciting adventures together. Despite how accurately Discord described some of the 'locations' that Sunset and Starlight had 'visited', and he could describe them quite well, Rarity suspected that she was his only source to relieve his boredom... whenever he wasn't with Fluttershy anyway.

Of course a few days ago her reality had been shattered when Sunset and Starlight returned from their adventures, though they returned with some sort of spaceship, friends who were stranger than some of the ponies Rarity had encountered in the past, and had powers that Rarity had stopped dreaming about. Starlight could easily stand on the same level as Twilight these days, but Sunset, however, had become something more... something like a deity. Just seeing those two walking down the street, one still a pony and the other a mix of pony and what Twilight told her was a human, made her wonder if all of Discord's stories were true... and even Twilight had, somehow, become the same type of hybrid that Sunset was. At the same time, however, her own curiosity started to grow, revolving around the crystal mirror that was in Twilight's castle and the potential worlds that it could connect to now that one of it's 'anchors' had been destroyed.

Rarity wasn't big on the magical terms that Twilight used when she explained something, but what she understood was that the mirror could now be used to travel to a number of new worlds, instead of just the one that Sunset had been living on until she decided to steal Twilight's Element. For the next week, following the return of Sunset and Starlight, Rarity wondered what sort of adventure she might go on if she walked through the mirror, imagining the beauty of the world and the dresses that the royalty had to be wearing. Of course she told no one that she had fantasies of what beauty she might find on the other side of the mirror, as they would think she had gone crazy after what happened to Sunset and Starlight, but in the end her curiosity won and she started weaving together a plan so she could get at the mirror.

She waited for a week or two to pass, choosing to take a day off when Twilight, Sunset, Starlight, and Spike weren't at Twilight's castle, as she wanted to pop into the other world and explore for a few minutes without someone knowing that she had actually gone through the mirror. The opportunity was practically given to her when the group, along with Princess Luna and someone that resembled a humanoid version of Princess Celestia, departed from Ponyville and used one of the strange ships to leave the planet. Since Sweetie Belle was done for the day, and she had practically caught up on her orders, she decided to take the day off, closed the shop down, and rushed over to Twilight's castle, in a manner appropriate for someone that was in a rush.

Rarity, upon arriving at the castle, made sure to open and close the door with as little racket as possible, just in case someone else was inside the building and could have been alerted by the sound of the door opening, before she started her search for the crystal mirror. Fortunately it didn't take her too long to find the mirror in question, as when she made her way passed the ballroom she discovered that the mirror was still resting in the same place she had seen it when Twilight went to help Sunset deal with the Sirens. She found it somewhat odd that Twilight hadn't bothered to move the mirror from the library, where anyone could use it on accident, but was pleased at the same time, as that meant that she didn't have to spend hours searching for the mirror.

She looked at the crystal mirror for a moment, watching as the seemingly clear surface of the mirror shimmered for a few seconds and revealed a scene to her, where she could have sworn that she spotted who she assumed was Rainbow and Applejack as they fought some sort of pink monstrosity. A few seconds later the mirror returned to normal, as if it hadn't shown her anything, but at the same time the small showing she had been given didn't deter her from sating her curiosity at all. In fact the showing made her more excited to see what sort of world she would be sent to and what sort of culture the people of that world had... to which she sighed and pressed a hoof against the shimmering surface of the mirror for a moment.

"Hello?" a voice said, echoing through the halls outside the room that Rarity was standing in at the moment, though at the same time she recognized the voice, "Is someone there?"

Rarity froze for a moment, because she could have sworn that Discord had either followed Twilight's group out of the castle or had gone to Canterlot, where Fluttershy was taking care one of the noble's exotic pets that their staff couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. She had always told Discord that she wasn't interested in his 'stories' and that she wasn't interested in going to one of the other worlds that the rest of her friends had gone to. Instead of sticking around, and letting Discord know that she was actually interested in his tales, Rarity threw caution to the wind and charged into the crystal mirror, vanishing before she could be found out.

Discord, having been using the ballroom for something important that Twilight had asked him to work on, popped his head into the library for a moment and looked around, finding a light shimmer on the mirror's surface that was dissipating as the mirror returned to normal.

"Hmm... someone's used the mirror recently..." Discord commented, to which he let out a sigh as he realized what that meant, while at the same time pulling himself back to the ballroom, "Twilight won't be happy when she hears that someone else entered the mirror."

He would check the crystal mirror later with his magic, to see who had entered the mirror and determine which world, in the vastness of their universe, they had been taken to... after he received a lecture from Princess Twilight about allowing someone else to use the 'broken' mirror.


Rarity moaned as feeling returned to her body, as she hadn't expected traveling through the crystal mirror to hurt so much or even knock her out in the process, because based on what Discord had told her this sort of thing didn't happen to the others that had used the mirror. Parts of her body, from what she was feeling at the moment, refused to obey her commands and she was left sitting, in a strange position no less, against what she assumed was some sort of stone or marble pillar. It took a few minutes for her to get her eyes to open, though when she did she found herself in some sort of strange underground like area with several stone pillars connecting the ground and the ceiling, while at the same time she noticed a large crack in the distance that was allowing a decent amount of light into the area she was in.

Once her eyes had gotten used to the light, and she was aware of the fact that her surroundings seemed very dark and depressing, she finally looked down at her body and noticed that it had, by some unknown means, transformed since the moment she passed through the crystal mirror. Her body structure had gone from her usual pony form and transformed into the same strange hybrid body that Princess Celestia and Twilight had been sporting since the return of Sunset Shimmer, as she now appeared to be a cross between a human and a pony. From what she could tell her skin color was the same and her tail was where it belonged, though her hind legs had the structure of a pony and ended in hooves while her front legs, however, had been changed into what Twilight had called arms and hands, with five fingers on each of her new hands. A few seconds later her ears twitched, indicating that they were on the top of her head, just like what she had seen with Twilight's new form, but she desperately wished that she had a mirror so she could see what she looked like in her transformed state.

A few moments later she heard a second moan, one that was coming from behind where she was sitting, to which she slowly turned her head to the left and found that the pillar she was resting on was attached to some sort of ancient shrine... only the basin that should be in the middle of the structure was missing. In its place rested someone that was wearing some sort of traveling gear, as the person in question appeared to be wearing something that was mean for a journey through the countryside and not meant for battle. Parts of the clothing seemed ready to come apart, as if they had been hastily put together for whatever journey the person had gone through, but her expert eye could tell that it was close to coming undone.

What disturbed Rarity was the fact that the person's skin, what little of it she could see thanks to the majority of the clothing covering the vast majority of the person's body, was a sickly shade of green... almost like the person's skin was rotting and they wanted to cover it while they sought a cure.

Rarity was sick to her stomach by just the sight of what she was seeing, and what her mind was suggesting that it might be, but before she could actually do anything she noticed that the person's body was starting to move, as one of the hands pulled back towards the body and started to pick the person up. She watched as the person pulled themselves to their full height, though it took a few seconds for the person, who she was assuming had to be male based on some of the muscles she could see under the tattered clothing he was wearing, to notice the area that was resting around them. From what little Rarity could see, thanks to all of the clothing the man was wearing, she had to assume that he seemed confused about where he was... which was what she was feeling at the moment.

"Where... in the world am I?" the man asked, though his voice allowed Rarity to identify his gender, indicating that she had been right with her guess, but at the same time she knew that the man likely had no idea that she was even there.

"I have no idea where we are," Rarity admitted, causing the man to look to his right and notice that she was sitting there, though she still made no attempt to pull herself from where she was sitting, "All I know is that the two of us, by our own methods, did something that knocked us out and brought us here... to wherever here is."

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe we have met each other before today," the man said, though at the same time Rarity determined that he was cautious when he encountered strangers, which meant that something must have happened to him before he arrived in this underground place, "Who are you exactly?"

"My name is Rarity, and I hail from Equestria." Rarity replied, though even as she spoke she could tell that some of her words were confusing the man, but at the same time he didn't say anything to counter what she had told him, "And what is your name?"

"Edric... my name is Edric." the man stated, but Rarity could tell that his eyes were no longer on her, as it appeared that he was staring off into the distance, as if he was searching for some sort of building or structure, "I think there might be a structure up ahead somewhere... shall we go take a look and see what we find?"

Rarity glanced down at her legs for a moment, as she had absolutely no idea how to walk in this form, but at the same time she didn't want to stay behind and do nothing, especially with all the effort she put into making sure she had a chance to access the crystal mirror. She let out a sigh as she gently placed her new hands on the ground in front of her, which was a strange sensation that she had never experienced before, and gently eased herself onto her hooves, to the best of her ability. She also used the pillar behind her to stabilize herself, as she was definitely weak on these new legs of hers, but after a few moments she was standing at her full height, which was just about equal to Edric's height.

When she tried to walk, however, she immediately tumbled towards the ground, though Edric grabbed her before she could actually hit the ground and wrapped her left arm around his head while using his right arm to hold onto the right side of her new body. She guessed that he was being friendly and was helping out someone that was clearly confused, which she appreciated from the bottom of her heart, before the two of them slowly walked up the hill that was in front of the small gazebo that they had found themselves on. Rarity knew that, in time, she could master the art of walking with her new legs and not fall to the ground like she had just done, as she suspected that Edric wouldn't be there to help her every time it happened, as he had likely come to this place for a different reason than she did.

She had absolutely no idea where she was, or which of the numerous worlds she had been transported to, but she was sure that she could make this situation work out for her... and have nothing horrible happen to her in the time she spent visiting this new world.

Chapters Next