• Published 30th Oct 2017
  • 1,739 Views, 52 Comments

The Path - Amber Spark



The last believer in an ancient prophecy leaves behind all she knows to fulfill her people’s role, even if they have long forgotten their promise. All to save the soul of somepony who many believe will herald the doom of us all.

  • ...
3
 52
 1,739

Epilogue: Shukrani - (Thanks)

“Aaah?”

“It is almost time, my dear Little Shade. This is a wonderful night. The night of your Naming! Not only that, but Everlasting Balance has granted me a Vision of Potential.”

“Hah!”

“You are too young to know its import. But in the coming moons, your Papa will take up the Weaving Tongue. Before then, I want you to hear this in the Popular Tongue. Your dear Uncle would be most annoyed if I didn’t give you this one chance. For one day, you will be one of the Four Aides. I have seen it.”

Oooh! Mama? Grabah!”

“The ponies of Equestria these days know only the legend. The prophecy given by Starswirl the Bearded. One of the greatest of their Wise Weavers. They know only half of the story, as was his desire. Even now, I think it’s been simplified too much.”

“Gaga oooh ba!”

“Yes, my dear. It goes like this: ‘On the longest day of the thousandth year, four stars will reopen the door for the Moon. Once more she will come forth, to bring nighttime eternal and break the Balance.’”

“Oooh? Baaaaa…”

“Today, I tell you the rest, my dear Little Shade. I know not why the Everlasting Balance wishes me to tell an infant things of such import, but I am moved to do so.”

“Baaahahaha!”

“The second part of the legend, known only to the Keepers of the Stars and those who walk the Path, is this: ‘On the same day, six will come forth to save the Moon’s soul. In so doing, they will save all races and all peoples. And the Balance will come again upon the land.’”

“Gooo haha! Haha!”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it. Now, come, my daughter. It is time for you to be presented. To think that this tiny foal will help restore the Everlasting Balance to the world. My dear, you have the potential to do this. You will have the choice to do this. But I know your heart. And you will choose wisely, little Zecora.”

“Eee? Core? Ah?”

“Yes, my dear little one. Zecora.”

“It’s Zecora, isn’t it?”

Zecora looked up from her work on the great Baobab tree. It had been an amazing find, especially this deep in the Everfree. She hadn’t expected to find a piece of her home so far away from her people.

Even now, the alchemical brews reshaped the tree into what would soon be her new home. She carefully finished applying the paste to what would tomorrow be a window. Then she stood and trotted around the tree.

To her surprise, a small white unicorn mare stood in the clearing around Zecora’s new home. She looked rather out of place in the wilds of the Everfree Forest, with her neatly brushed brown mane, white cravat with a red tie and a pair of black glasses. Yet for some reason, the mare didn’t seem ill at ease.

Zecora found this rather surprising. After all, her attempt to make contact with the local town beyond the Everfree—a place called Ponyville—had ended up with slammed doors and fleeing ponies. That had been two weeks ago. She had yet to make another attempt. The last thing she wanted to do was terrify the poor ponies of this place. Even if the mere memory of those slamming doors had punctuated the loneliness in her heart. Still, she shook the melancholy thoughts away and tried to smile at her visitor.

“Yes, my pony friend, that is my name. I’m surprised to see another here, for this place is not tame.”

The unicorn seemed taken aback for a moment. A clipboard appeared at her side. She scribbled a note and it vanished in a flash of magic.

Then, to Zecora’s shock, the unicorn bowed to her.

“Forgive me, Master Weaver. I did not know of your station, or else I would have addressed you properly.”

Zecora’s jaw dropped open. What did ponies know of the ways of Weavers?

“No offense was taken, my bespectacled friend. Though that you would know what I am surprises me to no end.”

“I ask your indulgence, Master Weaver. I am Raven, Princess Celestia’s personal aide. I have been searching for you on her behalf, though I admit finding you here was not what I expected.”

Deciding not to mention the surprisingly closed-minded reaction she received in the local village, Zecora said, “I have found much wonder within this forest you call Everfree. There seem to be boundless miracles within every plant and tree.”

Zecora glanced at the small bundle of supplies Zerrin had left her, courtesy of her Uncle. A few ceremonial masks, an enchanted cauldron and several other items she would need to make a home here.

“After speaking with a Weaver from another clan, I have decided to reside here for a span. I did not ask the Sun about this arrangement, so I do hope I have not caused any estrangement.”

“No, of course not,” Raven said with a shake of her head. “You are welcome to stay in the Everfree Forest as long as you like. Indeed, Equestria itself owes you a debt it can never repay. But more personally, Princess Celestia and… and…” The unicorn coughed as if something was caught in her throat. “Princess Celestia owes you a debt beyond words.”

“There is nothing special in what I have done. I am simply happy to again see the Sun.”

“You are far too humble, Master Weaver. You and the actions of three others like you saved Princess Luna. The four of you…” She smiled wryly. “And Starswirl the Bearded.”

Zecora cocked her head. “So the vision had spoken true? Of Starswirl’s plans, no one knew?”

“Not even Princess Celestia.” Raven slowly shook her head. “Between the two of us, she wants to both hug and strangle that old coot. From his confession, he set all this up just after Luna’s banishment. For a thousand years, Celestia’s been working toward a single moment… the salvation of her sister. And…”

Raven lifted her glasses in a field of light red magic as she wiped tears from her eyes.

“And you were a part of that. Her Majesty wanted to come herself… but she… she doesn’t want to leave her sister…”

Zecora lifted a hoof with a smile. “I understand, my unicorn friend. Celebration is natural at such a parting’s end.”

“I want you to know that if you ever need anything—anything at all—simply ask. Princess Celestia can never repay her debt to you… but she will try with all the power at her disposal.”

Zecora paused for a moment, wondering just what she could do with the favor of the Equestrian Princesses. However, the thought was fleeting. With her life’s Path now complete and the Everlasting Balance restored… she had decided on a new path for her life. There was so much wonder within the Everfree Forest. She knew her work as a Weaver in this place would benefit all races in time.

In the end, the Path was the same… it was about helping others, be they pony or zebra, griffon or dragon. She had saved one and in so doing, perhaps saved others, if Starswirl’s vision was true. But that didn’t mean her journey was complete. Despite what some of her people thought, the Path never ended.

“I thank you, friend Raven, for your words most kind,” Zecora replied with a smile. “But I have no thoughts of compensation in mind. I have set my path on exploring this place, and I will do it for the benefit of every race. Instead, I ask something of you in return… I wish one day that I may meet them to learn.”

“It will be some time until Princess Luna is strong enough to see anypony.” Raven smiled. “But I’m sure you’ll be among the first she sees. You opened the door even knowing what it could cost.”

“I agree that great could have been the cost… but had I not acted, what then would have been lost?”

Raven choked back another sob. Then, to Zecora’s utter surprise, the white unicorn galloped up and wrapped her in a hug. Zecora wasn’t sure what else to do, so she hugged her back. She found she enjoyed the sensation. It had been a long road. A lonely one. A necessary one. But at that moment, she realized that while she may be alone… she was no longer lonely.

The unicorn eventually pulled back with a tear-stained smile and adjusted her cravat.

“Forgive me, Master Weaver. It has been… an emotional time for us all.”

“There is no need for titles with me, my friend. If you call me Zecora, it would not offend.”

“Zecora, then,” Raven said with a smile. “Then I will leave you with my eternal thanks… and the thanks of both Princesses. Please, again, if you need anything, only ask.”

“But of course, though now there is nothing I need, save to study the wonders about us, which are grand indeed.”

Raven nodded, adjusted her glasses again and made to leave, only to pause at the edge of the small clearing around Zecora’s future home.

“If I may ask, Master Weaver Zecora,” Raven said, stressing her title somewhat. “I have always heard rumors of those that follow the Path. Why did you do it, knowing what it could unleash upon Equestria… or upon the world? You could not have known about the Elements of Harmony or the Princess’s student.”

Zecora nodded, more to herself than the mare.

“Many misunderstand what it is to walk the Path, for they always feared its potential wrath. No, the Path’s end goal had something much greater in store: something to strive toward forevermore.”

“And what was that?”

Zecora looked around her. Through the canopy, she could see a tiny sliver of the old observatory where she had heard Starswirl’s words. If she looked northeast, she could see a bit of a turret to what she now knew to be the Castle of the Two Sisters.

She returned her attention to Raven. “That the Path has always been about hope. No matter the scars… and no matter the scope.”

Raven smiled once more and nodded. Zecora could see the understanding in her eyes. Zecora was sure Princess of the Sun and the Princess of the Moon would understand as well.

Raven departed through her own path into the forest. Zecora did not worry after her, for any aide of one of the Princesses of Equestria would be formidable indeed. She returned to the growth of her new home, but her thoughts remained on the Path.

In the end, all paths were walked for that most unique of treasures, something that couldn’t be brewed, enchanted or bottled. Something that lived in the hearts of every breathing thing in this world.

It was the purpose of the Everlasting Balance, what the ponies called Harmony.

Zecora began to hum the ancient lullaby her mother had sang to her when she had been a foal, the same tune often sang by her Uncle and even dear Zuila.

The Path has always been about hope. No matter the scar and no matter the scope.

Zecora went back to her work, smiling as she hummed.

Author's Note:

Theme for The Path:


"Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about everlasting night."

Welcome to the story of the Four Aides.

For the longest time, I've been fascinated by the stars who allow Nightmare Moon to escape her prison upon the Moon. What were they? Were they actually malevolent entities as they were painted in Fallout: Equestria? Or were they something more? These were the keys to Nightmare Moon's escape, yet we never hear anything of them ever again. What actually freed her?

I actually had this idea some time ago, where Starswirl the Bearded made arrangements with four other races: the Zebras, the Griffons, the Deer (yes I still believe in sapient deer!) and a fourth (originally, I had considered the Yaks, but if I ever revisit these stories, it'll likely change to the Hippogriffs). Now, when I first wrote this back in March, we didn't have nearly as much to go from with Starswirl as we do today.

It's ironic that this story comes out the weekend after the Season 7 Finale where the fate of Starswirl the Bearded is finally revealed at long last. I know this really necessarily jive with the timeline presented by the show. I was actually going with the Reflections Comic Book Arc involving Good Sombra and the MLP Mirror Universe, where it shows Starswirl as being there after Luna's corruption.

But let's be honest, considering that everything happened "over a thousand years ago," things are bound to get a bit murky here and there!

For the record, this isn't a story set specifically in the Wavelengths Timeline. Like The Cycle of Flame, it's designed to explore aspects of the MLP lore. In this case, the Four Stars and how Zecora ended up in the Everfree, plus the reason she speaks in that rhyming voice. It's an exploration of Zebra culture. And it's also an experiment in narrative-heavy storytelling. Partially out of me wanting to spend a lot of time on the environment... and partially out of me just not wanting Zecora to talk too much because I didn't want to rhyme everything!

It's also a lesson in just how freakin' hard Zecora's dialogue is. You have no idea the nightmares I went through (and I put my editors through) to get her right. No, she's not using any specific meter consistently. She's using what sounds right for the character (and for the record, Zecora doesn't actually use any specific rhyming meter). I won't pretend it's perfect, but hopefully, it does the job!

A very special thank you to Captain Croissandwich and Corejo, my two guest editors. Captain is responsible for transforming the original disaster of my lines (where I had originally just rhymed the last word) into something far, far superior. Corejo pushed me to expand the descriptions and poked us both when we tried to use rhymes that didn't work in the slightest.

As usual, my entire editing team of Ebon Quill, Little Tinker, Cursori and Belton were instrumental in making this what you see now, both the original WriteOff version from March and the current edition (which I pretty much rewrote from scratch, save for the final chapter and the prelude to each chapter).

Also, a huge shoutout to the incredible Overlord Neon, who used her immense talent to create that epic cover art!

I do hope you've enjoyed this exploration of Zecora, Starswirl the Bearded and the legend of Nightmare Moon. Have a great day and I'll see you all next time!

If you come across any errors, please let me know by PM!

Comments ( 39 )
DumbDog
Moderator

Happy Halloween! :^)

8512808
You are such a brat.

A neat and enjoyable little story. And with the fun zebra of mystic ways.

8520029
Thank you kindly. Great words, especially considering your avatar. :twilightsmile:

8520050
Heh.. I always love a good zecora fic, and one that expands not as what she is seen as, but what she embodies as a concept, real and metaphorical..

8520065
Zecora definitely got a bit of a bum rap in terms of character and lore. She's a brilliant resource and a goldmine for character development (though I suspect a lot of show writers simply don't want to deal with writing her dialogue!)

I really enjoyed this. You expanded upon the lore in a very believable way. And Zecora was wonderfully written.

8520145
Thank you! It was great fun to explore such a complex character who we knew almost nothing about... though seriously, Zecora's dialogue was a pain in the flank. :pinkiecrazy:

Excellent story.:twilightsmile:

8520995
I'm delighted you enjoyed it!

8520895
Haha.:yay:
grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/fistbump_large.png
I actually rewatched it somewhat recently with my brother. Vir was awesome. Though G'kar is my OG homie, son.

A beautiful bit of side world building and possibilities. Taking the Deer from the appearence of them somewhat obscured on teh left hand side of the cover of the book of the movie prequal?

I like the ponyville radio playlist Zecoras Quest, but my GoogleFu is zero and cant find it :twilightoops:

Theres not just the stories of the other 3 Stars, but also each of their alternatives? :twilightsheepish:

If I may, instead of Hippogryphs, have you considered the Minotaurs?

8521069
G'Kar is a freaking god. Easily one of the best characters B5 has ever seen.

8521720
Actually, I've always been in love with the Deer as a sapient race when I first read It's a Dangerous Business Going Outside Your Door. Though now that I think of it, I can't remember off the top of my head if the comics (specifically the "Revenge of the Everfree" arc) came first or not.

8521780
Considering we've only ever seen Iron Will as a Minotaur, they're a race that never really spoke to me. (I also may have a tiny crush on Skystar). :twilightblush:

A fantastic exploration of both the world and the character. (Though you did go awfully heavy on -end rhymes in the epilogue.) I eagerly look forward to any of the companion pieces you end up composing. Thank you for this.

8521956
Rhyming is evil. EVIL! :flutterrage: (Otherwise, thanks!)

Wonderful! Simply wonderful. I had never really considered the question of the stars that aided in her escape before, so thank you for exploring it. And also for exploring Zecora's character and Zebra culture! I gotta ask, though, where did you get the lines of her native tongue from?

8521956 8521969
Oops. :twilightoops:

I admittedly "translated" Novel's original lines for Zecora in the most expedient way I could to include her overall cadance of speech, while maintaining the same overall meaning of his original lines. This had the side-effect of my not going over the whole work and changing up the key words in separate lines so that they weren't as repetitive. :facehoof:

"Novel hired me on to imitate her. But rhyming well is hard.
...Refrigerator."

8522095
I cheated a bit and used Google Translate for Swahili, which is what Zecora's language is based on (though it isn't actually Swahili since they couldn't get a translator in at the time). However, I did take the time to translate it back and forth a few times to make sure the translation was at least semi-accurate and stayed around.

8522097
Rhyming = Evil. As previously stated. :pinkiecrazy:

8522116
Ahh, I figured it was something like that. Good to hear you at least made an effort to get around one of the shortfalls of google translate though.

8522121
Yeah, I know if any native speaker comes across it, it'll likely be gibberish, but I did definitely try. I don't have the resources to get a native speaker myself (and since Zecora doesn't actually speak Swahili, I could have just been a bit off, but I wanted to be close). However, most of the terms used are Swahili as well.

Absolutely stunning. Good Zecora writing is really hard to find, especially when it explores the zebra culture and doesn't just assume that all of them act like Zecora. Nicely done. Pat yourself on the back for this great story!

8522693
Thank you kindly! it was definitely a challenge to write and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! :twilightsmile:

and partially out of me just not wanting Zecora to talk too much because I didn't want to rhyme everything!

WEAK! Everything must rhyme, Novel! Or...uh...you'll be beaten with a shovel!

I rather liked this little story, so about that, you shouldn't worry. And although I joked about cultists allthroughout, (which I thought was a word, but google seems to doubt.) I had fun on this journey of dark-goddess-resurrection, and I suppose hope's pursuit is a valid protection, against my complaints of hurting all on the planet, for the sole sake of saving one who once ran it.

That's it. No more rhyming and this time I mean it!

This was a very well done story and one that you should take serious pride in! <3

'til all are one!

Greetings. This is a Comment. There, now all my usernames have commented on one of your stories! Good luck with your NaPoWriMo, Novel Idea-Senpai! :D

8527432
You know, it's interesting. I hadn't really considered the Path Vs. Others to its full extent (or I'm too tired to think of it). However, in this case, both parties are right.

This is my cause--Life! One life or a billion, it's all the same!

Zecora is risking everything on Faith. It's a massive gamble that could doom the world. All to save a single soul. Though considering what Starswirl said at the end... that soul could end up saving the world someday...

8532300
Thank you kindly!

8537934
...you're never going to stop, are you? :facehoof:

8537993
No...no I'm not....have a great day! :D

Nice story, sorry it took so long to get around to it

Very good.

But the use of Starswirl felt... cheap? /shrug Maybe I'm just tired of Starswirl as a catchall explanation. Or I bought into the Zebra OCs too much.

Wonderful story! Definitely an expansion on Zecora's character I can get behind.

Frankly it's fics like this that make me wish Zecora got more screen time on the show. But then like you said, writing dialogue for her is an absolute bear, which again is a real shame. She's got so much untapped potential as a character!

8893398
Thank you kindly! Yeah, I can imagine the writers going "Uh... do we have do? Who else is available?!"

8537991
Oh, was the message saying that that one soul in particular could/would save the world? I thought it was more...that that soul coming back was the catalyst (for the series premiere of Friendship Is Magic and everything that happened there) and that the effects (Mane 6 getting together w/ Elements of Harmony) are what was gonna save the world.

Excellent story as always, Novel. I love your work almost as much as Mono's! That's a LOT. Didja know you're one of my favorite authors on fimfic? You're so creative and take things to new heights and depths. It's really wonderful reading your work. I did notice a few minor errors in various places, mostly like "the Zelabra", which were clearly victims of editing and changes and something not being deleted/changed with the rest of its section. I'm really bad about sending PMs, sorry. I'll delete or edit this post if you'd like. I'd be happy to proofread for you anytime you'd like (and I'm not drowning in schoolwork or real life stuff, but I mean really drowning).

8925544

Oh, was the message saying that that one soul in particular could/would save the world?

She could very easily be the catalyst. Without NMM, would the Mane 6 ever have really gotten together and acquired the Elements? This is also looking forward to the future... after all, the prophecy was a thousand years in advance!

Excellent story as always, Novel. I love your work almost as much as Mono's! That's a LOT.

...I'm not sure I can handle that level of love. That's... intimidating. Because Mono's awesome.

Didja know you're one of my favorite authors on fimfic? You're so creative and take things to new heights and depths. It's really wonderful reading your work.

OMG... Thank you... Seriously, I'm blushing like crazy stop it! Fleeeeeeee

Login or register to comment