• Published 30th Oct 2017
  • 1,736 Views, 52 Comments

The Path - Amber Spark



The last believer in an ancient prophecy leaves behind all she knows to fulfill her people’s role, even if they have long forgotten their promise. All to save the soul of somepony who many believe will herald the doom of us all.

  • ...
3
 52
 1,736

Swali - (Doubt)

I… am not… My dear teacher, this I cannot bear! Do not depart and abandon me to despair!”

“Ah, dear Little Shade… your Weaver’s Tongue has become so strong… It is now part of your soul, of your very spirit. I am proud to have passed it to you, though I miss my gift of the rhyming songs.”

“I would forsake it all to give you back your breath! Mshauri, please renounce the lands of Death!"

“Such things, once done, cannot be undone, Little Shade. I had hoped to… I had—”

You shouldn't strain yourself, my dear mentor, yet it pains me terribly that I cannot do more.”

“No, the water is enough. Thank you, Little Shade. I… had hoped to be the one to stand beneath the Moon at the appointed time. But it seems the Balance wills it to be you. Though I will not… not stand under the darkened Moon and the brilliant stars… I have been honored to teach you to walk the Path.”

“What joy is there in this quest, if there’s no companions along for support and jest?

“I may soon pass beyond the... the beautiful Veil, but I know that at your journey’s end, you will find those… those which will give you joy once more.”

“But all must be left behind, if my destiny is thus defined.”

“Destiny is never set in stone, Little… Little Shade. There is only choice and potential. Even prophecy could be flawed. As my… my teacher once told me, ‘Prophecy is a guess that comes true. When it doesn't, it's a metaphor.’”

But all of your teachings have led to this moment! Of inaction you cannot be a proponent!”

“I believe. As I know you… you do. No, I need not another drink. I ask… ask that… you take the anklet, now. Do not look at… me like that, Little Shade. We both know I depart soon. This is to be your guide. And at the proper time… your tool. When you enter that place, you will find your new companion. Do not fear… fear him, for I have seen his face in the Weavings. He will watch over you, as I have. He will point the way, as he… has for generations for those on the Path.”

“I’ve done nothing to deserve this boon. You cannot believe me worthy so soon.”

“You are wise… beyond your years, Little Shade. Far wiser than I… and wiser still that you do not… know your own wisdom. You must… walk the Path with your head high and… your heart strong. Walk the… Path that leads through moonlight… into starlight… and… ends in sunlight. Walk the Path. And… no matter what… never blame yourself…”

“Mshauri… why must you grow so still? If you linger, know I yet walk the Path… I will.”

The Moon rose, though Zecora could see little beyond shadow. The beasts of the Everfree howled and gibbered around her. Burning eyes flickered in the darkness before vanishing. An eastern wind swept through the ancient gnarled trees, sending moonlight scattering across the overgrown intersection and the scent of the untamed wild through the air.

The intersection troubled her. With the canopy thick above her, she couldn’t get a glimpse at either of the watchtowers acting as her guides. Nor could she see enough of the night sky to use the stars. Only shafts of moonlight gave her enough light to see.

Zecora paused for a moment and knelt to study the ground, once more bringing forth her anklet’s light and wishing she’d hadn’t lost her compass struggling through the great swamps to the east.

Faint grooves had been left in the packed earth, likely the sign of ancient cartwheels. It was a sign. A sign she walked the Path.

This had once been a trade route of some kind, though it had been hundreds of years since it had been used by any intelligent creature.

Zecora smiled and nodded to herself, as her spectral companion stood beside her, silent as the Stars and studying the Moon. She rose to her hooves, watching him and biting her lower lip.

Since he had appeared, curiosity had gnawed at her. It had been a difficult thing to deny. She hadn’t ever been expressly forbidden to do it, yet it still seemed… if not disrespectful, at least somewhat awkward. Even she didn’t fully understand the nature of her new companion.

She licked her lips and with a glance around her, finally worked up the courage. He didn’t react as she stretched out her left forehoof in his direction. The moment her hoof brushed against where his robe would have been, an icy shock ran straight up into her topmost anklet.

Zecora stumbled backward and let out a wordless cry, the world spinning around her as flashes of thought and memory pulsed through her mind.

Pain: A pale crescent moon upon a blue field.

Sorrow: A weeping pale pink eye.

Resolve: An angry rainbow.

Focus: A bell on blue fabric.

Intensity: A stone tablet.

Hope: A tree of light.

When she could see once more, she looked up at the figure. It loomed over her. Where there should have been eyes, two brilliant gold stars pierced her with an almost terrifying interest. It was the same expression a Weaver might give to a surprising new form of fungus—one that could either destroy or save thousands.

She opened her mouth to ask about what she had seen… and then froze.

Zecora couldn’t say what had alerted her. A faint rustle in the bush, a flicker of motion or maybe some ancient instinct. No matter the source, she felt the gaze of hunters upon her. Instantly, cut the magic from her anklet and the light faded, though it was likely already too late.

Her eyes darted around the forest as another gust of wind sent old leaves spinning over the forgotten road. Shadows shifted and twisted between the gnarled trees and hanging moss as the night lengthened. Yet there were no scent or sound to reveal the nature of whatever had given her pause.

She did not have time for games this night.

“What is this beast that is skulking so?” she called into the forest. “Do I dare name it friend, or foe?”

Her companion didn’t react. He continued watching her, though it didn’t seem quite as intimidating now.

Branches cracked. Timber creaked. Leaves rustled.

Zecora stepped back and sucked in a breath.

Six pairs of burning green eyes shone from the shadows to her left. The wind shifted from east to west. Instantly, she knew what she faced.

She swallowed and took another step back.

Wooden jaws slipped into a patch of dancing moonlight, teeth glistening with decaying wolfsap. Two enormous paws dug into the ground, digging gashes in the soft earth with wicked claws. In the shadows behind it, convoluted masses of branches and bark shuffled closer.

"You horrid beast, get out of my way," she said. She tried to keep the panic from her voice, though she knew she failed. "Leave, or you shall face my wrath this day!"

Seemingly unimpressed, the first timberwolf stepped into fully into the moonlight. At least as large as Zecora herself, it cocked its head at her as if she were some mouthy rabbit. A mass of thorny brambles stretched over its body of mismatched wood. Its ears clicked as it considered her. Its eyes narrowed, and a leer appeared as its foul stench washed over her.

Five others—all a fraction smaller than the first—stepped into the moonlight. They sniffed the air… and howled.

Zecora fumbled for the third vial on her sash even as the sound sent shivers down her spine. She yanked it free an instant before the next timberwolf echoed the howl. Her primal instincts took over and she jerked, sending the vial flying.

She dove forward to catch the falling vial as the first timberwolf leapt for her.

Wolfsap stained her mane and neck as it overshot her by mere inches above her. She snatched the vial out of the air and rolled with a grunt. The timberwolf tumbled into the brush on the other side of the path.

However, its companions were still very much on their paws.

Zecora scrambled forward as the rest of the pack let out a deafening howl. She stopped a foot away from the first bend in the path and whirled to face them. She shoved the panic down, popped the cork on the vial and spoke the required words.

“Ndoto ya ndoto ninayoita, kujisalimisha na kukimbia chini ya mashamba yote ya bluu!”

They had been easier to say back in Zuila's hut she hadn’t been facing down a timberwolf alpha and its pack.

The potion frothed and seethed at her rushed incantation. A long second passed. Her heart hammered in chest. She quickly spat out the words again and the liquid ignited with a brilliant orange blaze. She squinted against it as the timberwolf alpha pulled itself from the side of the road. The other five crept forward.

She’d seen this behavior before. For nearly a thousand years, this path had been prepared for her. She refused to let it come to an end because of some feral earth spirits playing games in husks of wood. Too much depended upon her. She glanced at her spectral companion, still silent despite the growls and the dripping wolfsap.

She slammed her hoof on the path. “I do not have time for the likes of you! Begone, or you’ll face my fearsome brew!”

The alpha took charge of its pack, stalking toward her a few feet ahead of the rest. Once again, her words had no effect, so she didn’t bother with any more of them.

She flung the vial at the pack with a feral growl of her own.

To Zecora’s surprise, the alpha let out a panicked yelp and darted to the right. Four of the others scattered, jumping clear of the spinning tube. Two of them ignored it entirely.

It shattered in a splash of orange mist between the two ignorant timberwolves. Both cringed back, seeming confused by their companions’ reactions to the little vial. They growled again and slipped through the mist as it turned into wispy tendrils before vanishing altogether.

Zecora swallowed, her eyes watching the rest of the pack. The pack’s attention now darted between her and their packmates.

Both of them unleashed a savage roar that could have sent a hydra sprinting back to its bog. Zecora stumbled back, but kept her hooves beneath her. Her eyes remained fixed on the two. She needed to know if it worked. She had to know. Though she had no other recourse if it didn’t… save running until they caught her.

She tried not to think about what would happen after that.

The two timberwolves galloped for her in long, loping strides.

Zecora backpedaled and turned to run. A moment before she bolted, she glanced back.

Ten feet away from her, they stumbled once. A deep growl welled up between the two of them, though confusion marred the sound. Then, with a loud pop, their glowing green eyes went out, as if someone had knocked over a lantern.

Their bodies collapsed into nothing more than leaves and branches. The rest of the pack stared at their fallen packmates. One of them let out a whimper.

Little tendrils of green light slipped out of the pile of leaves. They flittered through the air for a few moments, as if confused. Then they shot off into the darkness. In the blink of an eye, they were gone.

Zecora’s heart hammered in her chest. “Now you have seen what I can do. I suggest you flee, or their fate is yours, too!”

In retrospect, she’d only ever convinced a timberwolf to turn away once. And that had been a domesticated one owned by her Aunt Zalatina, purchased from a whitetail enchantress. Still… she had to try.

The timberwolf alpha let out a hiss, a sound that told Zecora quite clearly what it thought of her threat.

She swore, turned and bolted down the path as the remaining members of the pack gave chase.