• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 8,648 Views, 382 Comments

From Lost to Loved - The Abyss



Faced with redemption or prison, Tempest accepts Twilight’s hoof in friendship, though she fears how much trauma Twilight has endured. She takes her place at Twilight’s side, but when she starts falling for her, things only get more complicated.

  • ...
47
 382
 8,648

Chapter 2

Tempest gazed out the window, her chin laying flat on the windowsill as she listened to the calming hustle and bustle of the city below. She hadn’t moved from her spot in hours, and even though her rump was sore, she felt no desire to give it rest. In her mind, she deserved to be punished. She hadn’t allowed herself to eat for three days. She had not dared to allow her eyelids to close when the moon rose, for fear of the most chilling nightmares. She could not bear to look even the meekest earth pony in the eyes.

She was grateful she had been able to shower each morning, though she was even more grateful for the fact she hadn’t been thrown in the dungeons—at least, not yet. As each day passed, she worried that possibility might turn into a stark, unyielding reality. She had weighed several times during the deepest dark of the twilight hours the gravity of her transgressions. Against all reason, hope had driven her to imagine the most fantastic belief that she could be saved from the jaws of retribution. Still, deep within her heart, she knew the certainty of her impending punishment was as clear as the severity of her crimes.

Her thoughts drifted to Twilight. Tempest had such a wonderful time at the celebration with her, but after Twilight left her alone to get them some refreshments, four royal guards had swept her back into the castle. Celestia and Luna spent many hours interrogating her, and she wished that she had shown them remorse for her actions.

She didn’t get a wink of sleep that night.

Her ears flicked up as she heard the many locks on her door simultaneously unlock. She pushed herself up, turning to face the door as it swung open wide. She stood at attention as Princess Celestia walked into her tiny room. Twilight trotted in after her, a wide smile on her face. Tempest’s hopes rose as she returned her smile, but when she glanced up at Celestia, her hopes fell like a pegasus without feathers.

She prepared herself for the worst.

Celestia held her head high. “Tempest Shadow, due to your actions of high treason, levying war, and unlawful restraint, Princesses Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and I have agreed upon a suitable punishment for you.” Celestia let a warm, gentle smile slide on her face. “And I think you will find it more agreeable than the alternative.”

Tempest’s eyebrows furrowed. Why is she smiling like that? “I... I don’t understand, Princess.” Her eyes flicked back and forth between Twilight and Celestia.

Twilight took a couple of steps forward. “Let me explain... Instead of throwing you in the deepest dungeon we have here in Canterlot, Princess Celestia has offered me the opportunity to take you on as my student like she did with me. After all that has happened, there are still some... personal things I need to work out with you, but... if you’ll accept me as your teacher and friend, then I’d be up to the challenge.” She held out her right hoof. “Are you?”

That certainty of imprisonment that had seemed so apparent moments ago faded away, but relief was hardly its replacement. While still technically a criminal, Princess Twilight had offered her hoof in friendship. With the knot in her throat tightening with each second, she fought to press on in the confusion. Her eyes slipped down to Twilight’s hoof. “I... I don’t know what to say,” she choked out, doing her best to blink away the tears forming in the corners of her eyes. She fired a quick glance at Celestia, praying that all of this wasn’t some sort of cruel trick.

“So what say you, Tempest?” Celestia’s smile widened as she nodded towards Twilight’s hoof.

“I... Yes, I humbly accept,” she said, tentatively placing her right hoof on top of Twilight’s.

“Excellent! Get your stuff; I’m gonna take you to your new home,” Twilight said, gripping Tempest’s hoof tightly.

“Um... I don’t really have anything.” Tempest rubbed her foreleg with a hoof, casting her gaze upon her old set of armor. “And I don’t need... his armor anymore.” She kicked it with her left hind leg, denting the armor she once cherished and wore with pride. “It’s worthless to me now.”

“If you would like for me to dispose of it, I would be happy to do so,” Celestia said.

Tempest nodded.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Very well. I still need to pack all the stuff I brought. If we’re lucky, we can take the evening train back to Ponyville!”

Ponyville? Oh no... Tempest winced, praying that Twilight wouldn’t notice.


“It was awfully nice of Celestia to let us use her personal train car,” Tempest said. They’d left the train station an hour ago, and it was the first thing she had said since they’d stepped inside. She was laying down on what she considered to be the softest couch in all of Equestria. Her head rested upon a thick, soft pillow that she clenched between her forelegs.

Twilight placed a bookmark where she’d stopped reading, then set her book aside. “Yeah... I know what you mean. She was afraid that your presence could have caused an incident with the other passengers, but…” Twilight took a moment of pause. “Well, some ponies take longer to forgive than others. Some may hold grudges against you for the rest of their lives, and there’s nothing you can do to change that.”

Tempest sighed. Her actions earlier that week sprang to the forefront of her mind, sending a shiver down her back. With the great terror of imprisonment no longer hanging overhead, sleep tugged at her eyes, but she felt that there was an elephant in the room that had to be dealt with first. She licked her lips as she let her eyes momentarily slide shut, then said, “We need to talk.”

Twilight’s ears flicked up as her breath caught in her throat. “Yes, I believe we do. What’s on your mind?”

‘Well... none of this feels... right. I invaded Equestria! My armies destroyed anything they came across and they enslaved everypony.”

“You betrayed the Storm King when it mattered most, though. You saved me and my friends from being turned to stone for eternity.”

“Yes, at the very end. But before that, I chased you and your friends out of Canterlot and all throughout Equestria. I forced you and your friends to jump out of a perfectly good airship. I threw you in a cage and ripped away your magic, all for a very selfish reason that ended up being fruitless in the end.” She pushed herself from the couch and started pacing. “I just don’t understand why you princesses think I should be let off like this!” She huffed. “I deserve to be in prison, or even turned to stone!”

“Well... you’re not being let off.” Twilight sat up. “All of us thought we could give you a second chance. I’ve, for lack of a better word, reformed a couple of ponies that were nothing but trouble. You might meet one of them tonight when we get to your new home.”

“Okay... two questions. One, my new home?”

Twilight nodded. “You’ll be living in my castle with me. We might have to rearrange some stuff to get your new room set up, but we can make it work!”

“But why? Why do I get to live in a castle after what I did?”

Twilight sighed, then slipped off her couch. “Because I want to keep a close eye on you. It’d be easier to teach you what you need to know if you and I lived in the same place.”

Tempest paused. “I can understand that, but...” She shook her head. “Anyways, who is this pony I might meet tonight? You... reformed her? How?”

Twilight sat down in front of her. “Her name’s Starlight. It’s a long story, but... she used to run a town in the middle of nowhere where she controlled everypony’s lives by taking possession of their cutie marks. To be honest, I don’t know which is worse... having your magic or your cutie mark taken away.”

“She took your cutie mark? How is that even possible?”

Twilight gulped. “...With very advanced magic. She is quite the talented spellcaster, after all. You too are more similar than you might think.” Twilight gazed out the window. “But my friends and I prevailed, and drove her out of town. Things seemed okay for the most part until she returned looking for revenge.”

“I... I think I remember reading something about this a while ago in the paper,” Tempest said. “There weren’t many details, though.”

“Yeah... She affected the timeline so that I never would have made such close friendships with my friends. Such a thing would have drastically affected the fate of Equestria, and as a princess, I couldn’t stand by and let that happen. To make a long story short, I offered Starlight my hoof in friendship and took her on as my student, much like I have done with you,” she said, followed by a short yawn. “And now she’s a good friend. Do you have any other pressing questions?”

“I... I have a lot, yes,” Tempest said. “But those can wait. I’m sure you had a long day.”

“Yes. Yes, I did.” Twilight lit her horn and pulled a pair of blankets out from the overhead cabinets, levitating the first to Tempest and the second to herself. She hopped back up on the couch, curled up, and swished her tail around her side as she tucked the blanket in around her. “And I definitely wouldn’t mind a quick nap!” she said with a giggle.

Snatching the quilt from Twilight’s magical aura, Tempest hefted it on her hoof, then unfolded it as she returned to her own couch. A soothing warmth seeped into her fur as she draped it over herself, pushing her ever closer to sleep’s grasp. “Same here. There are a couple more things, though.”

“Of course. What’s on your mind?”

“Please tell me you love coffee as much as I do.”

“I love coffee! Why do you ask?” Twilight’s eyes flicked up to meet Tempest’s as she grinned. “I can’t live without it.”

“Because I’m gonna need at least a gallon of it to keep me awake tomorrow. I... haven’t slept at all since the celebration.”

“Heh, you don’t need to worry. Spike and I have a huge stash of the best coffee Equestria has to offer; we have at least a three month supply!”

“Wow, really? That sounds lovely...” Tempest rolled onto her side and closed her eyes. “How much longer is it gonna take before we get to Ponyville?”

“About a couple more hours,” Twilight replied with a yawn.

“Very well.” Tempest licked her lips and let sleep take hold of her. The next two hours passed in near silence with her drifting in and out of a restless slumber. The train finally rolled to a stop and blew its whistle, startling her awake. Tempest stood up and stretched, letting loose a yawn as she arched her back, pointedly avoiding looking out the window. She rubbed her eyes with a hoof as she feared Twilight’s reaction to the damage wrought upon her hometown, then walked over to where Twilight lay. “Hey, Twilight?” She placed a hoof on her shoulder and shook her. “I think we’re h-here,” she said, her heart pounding in her chest.

Twilight cracked her eyes open, the blanket falling down from her neck to rest on her back. “Wahuh? Home?” she croaked out. Pushing herself up, Twilight peered out the window and gasped.

Ponyville was in absolute ruin.

The roofs of entire houses were missing. Piles of burnt wood lay in the streets. Windows were shattered.

Twilight couldn’t breathe. My home! She bolted from the train car, her eyes wide as she galloped through town. She screeched to a halt as her eyes fell upon Rarity’s boutique. It was shuttered up, a pale imitation of what it once was. A poster bearing the Storm King’s face with the word ‘OBEY’ was plastered above the door. Her upper lip curled as she lit her horn, using her magic to tear it down. Even though it was the middle of the night, she trotted up to Rarity's door and knocked three times.

Nopony came to answer her call.

A whimper forced its way past her lips as the sickly smell of burnt wood filled her nostrils. She couldn’t move. Her eyes clamped shut, unable to take as much as a tiny peek, lest she lose what little remained of her strength.

“T-Twilight?” came Tempest’s voice, meek and soft.

Twilight’s head snapped up, tears brimming in her eyes. “Not now, Tempest,” she said, her voice low and rough. She turned away from the boutique and trudged away, her head hung low. Twilight’s entire body trembled, but she forced herself onward. Looking up into the night sky, a single comet raced through the heavens, a sight that did little to calm her racing heart. She looked down, her gaze finally settling down upon her home. It was mostly intact, though there were several deep scratches along the bottom floor; the beasts had most likely used her home to sharpen their claws. All but a few of her windows were gone.

She stood at the base of the steps leading inside. One of the doors was missing entirely, the second clinging to its hinges. Twilight lifted a hoof and placed it on the first step. “I... I...” she whispered, her mind unable to take it all in. She collapsed upon the steps, her chin slamming against the cold stone. Stars burst into her vision.

“Twilight!” Tempest rushed to her side. She wrapped a hoof around Twilight’s left foreleg, but it was shoved away with a burst of magic before she could get a firm grasp.

“Don’t touch me,” Twilight said. “I can do this.” She pushed herself up and walked inside. Sleeping bags, tents, and blankets littered her grand entryway. Ponies lay scattered across the room, most of them fast asleep. “I... What’s going on here?” she asked nopony in particular.

Mrs. Cake stood up and walked up to her. “Twilight! We were wondering when you were coming back. I hope you don’t mind us using your castle, but... it’s basically one of the only buildings here that has four walls and a roof. Most of us have families, and—” A single look from Twilight made her pause.

“I understand the gravity of the situation, Mrs. Cake.” Twilight laid a hoof on her shoulder. “You and everypony else can take as much time as you need.”

“Bless your heart, princess,” Mrs. Cake said.

“I’ve had a long day, and I need to get some rest, but please help yourself to my food if you need it,” Twilight said, fluffing her wings. Mrs. Cake nodded once, then walked as quietly as she could back to her family. Unable to talk to anypony else, Twilight flew upstairs, the darkness hiding most of the damage. Soft voices came from further down the hallway, and when she rounded the corner, her eyes fell upon none other than Starlight and Rainbow.

“Twilight! You’re home!” Starlight said, her eyes lighting up with glee. She ran up to her and pulled her into a tight hug. “I’m so glad you’re okay,” she said as she sat down, letting a smile slip on her face. “Your friends told me everything. I tried to keep those... things from getting inside, but... there was only so much I could do before I was captured.” Her smile faltered, then a smirk grew on her face. “You should have seen me, though. I put up one heck of a fight!”

A dry laugh forced itself from Twilight’s lips. “I’m sure you did, but... are you okay? They didn’t hurt you, did they?” Her eyes danced across Starlight’s body, searching for bruises or cuts.

Starlight shivered. “Well... they put me in chains, muzzled me, and placed one of those magic blocking rings on my horn. Aside from being pushed around for a couple of days, they didn’t hurt me that much, but... what about you? Are you okay?”

Twilight closed her eyes. “No.”

Starlight nuzzled her cheek, then pulled her into another hug. “If you need somepony to talk to, I hope you know that you can always come to me,” she whispered. “Always. No matter what.”

Twilight wrapped a single leg around her friend’s back and buried her muzzle into Starlight’s neck. “Th-Thank you,” she managed to say. “I might be needing you sooner than you think.” She glanced up, spotting Rainbow still sitting further down the hall. She let go of Starlight and took a few steps towards her. “Rainbow?” she asked, making her look up. “What’s wrong?”

Rainbow groaned. “I... I’m h-homeless.”

No... That’s not possible! How could they have even reached her... oh, right. The airships... Rainbow’s words shattered Twilight’s heart into a thousand little pieces. “What do you mean?” she asked, wondering if Rainbow had truly spoken such horrid words.

“I’m homeless, and Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity are homeless. Dunno why, but the only place they didn’t touch in all of Ponyville was Fluttershy’s home. She took in a lot of ponies... the rest came here.”

“I... I don’t know what to say.”

“Me neither.” Rainbow walked up to her, then sat down next to Starlight. “So what happened with Tempest? I didn’t see her anywhere after the party.”

Twilight glanced over her shoulder.

Rainbow groaned, grinding a hoof into the floor. “Don’t tell me she’s here.”

Twilight sighed, then nodded. “She is... somewhere. It’s a long story.”

“Whatever. I’m going to bed,” Rainbow muttered. She flew to her room and slammed the door shut.

“So... where is Tempest?” Starlight asked, cocking her head to the side. “I’m guessing she came back with you? She run away or something?”

“I’m not sure.” Twilight groaned. “Let’s go find her. I can’t imagine she’s having an easy time.”


Tempest lifted a hoof to walk inside Twilight’s castle, but placed it back down just like she’d done for what felt like the twentieth time. She had heard voices come from inside, one that she didn’t recognize, talk about how most of Ponyville’s population was taking shelter in Twilight’s home. After seeing what her actions had caused, she couldn’t find it within her to look upon those she had displaced. In stark contrast to her usual confident attitude, she couldn’t take a single step forward.

But she knew in her heart she had to.

With her heart sinking into her stomach, Tempest climbed up the steps, taking care to avoid the many wooden shards. Pausing in the doorway, Tempest gazed inside. She couldn’t bear to look at anypony as she walked through them all, weaving in and out of the hodge-podge of tents, blankets, and sleeping bags.

Moments before she reached the staircase, she heard somepony whimper. Her ears perked up as she lifted her head once more, her eyes locking with a light green filly’s a few feet away. Their eyes shone brightly in the pale candlelight, full of life and hope as they looked her up and down.

But then something changed.

They grasped their teddy bear tighter, fear leaping to their face as they looked at the remnants of her horn. Their eyes widened in recognition. Tempest’s shoulders slumped. “H-Hey there, little one,” she said with a smile, hoping to give relief to somepony so precious, only to hear her whimper again and squirm away from her. Tempest closed her eyes, forcing herself to keep her composure. She wrenched herself away from the filly, even though her mind, body, and soul yearned to give her a modicum of comfort in such trying times.

Hearing Twilight softly call out her name, she glanced up, spotting her at the top of the stairs. She nodded once, then lowered her head in shame. She made herself walk up the stairs, each step more difficult than the last. “Twilight...” she murmured as she reached the second floor. “I—”

“I know.” Opening her wings, Twilight flew past Starlight, heading straight for her bedroom. Landing in front of her door, she folded her wings, and before she could even so much as lift a hoof or light her horn to open her bedroom door, she heard somepony gallop up behind her.

“Twilight... I’m not sure you want to go in there,” Starlight said, her tone full of unease. “They... didn’t go easy in there. Maybe you should let me spruce things up a bit before—”

“No.” Twilight shook her head. Lighting her horn, she gently pushed her door open, then gasped. Her mattress was torn to shreds, her favorite blankets and pillows missing entirely. Someone had ripped out all of her drawers, then stomped on them until they were nothing more than smithereens. Her cherished dresses, especially the one that she’d worn to her first Grand Galloping Gala, lay in the middle of the room, ripped apart and stained. Her windows were missing. She set her gaze on her dresser, praying that the monsters had at least left the one thing she depended upon each and every morning.

Twilight’s heart stopped beating.

Her friendship mirror was shattered, and her favorite pictures of her friends lay ripped on top of the dresser.

She numbly walked up to it, staring at her broken reflection as tears obscured her vision. The sadism accompanying the attack on her castle was clear; they had gone to special lengths to destroy the things most precious to her. “W-Why? It meant nothing to them,” she choked out, gingerly touching it with the tip of a hoof. A single shard of glass fell from the mirror, clattering to the top of her dresser. Hearing somepony’s hoofsteps behind her, she focused her gaze on the mirror again, locking eyes with the one who caused her so much strife. Tempest... she thought, visibly shaking as she watched her stop just outside her bedroom.

Many moments passed in silence as one waited for the other to speak up, their eyes never wavering or blinking from the other’s.

“I know you probably don’t want to see me right now, but... I must say something.” Tempest bowed low, her muzzle brushing against the carpet. “I swear to you, and to all the ponies that my actions have affected, that I will do everything in my power to make things right, even if...” She took a deep breath as she lifted her head. “Even if it takes the rest of my life.”

I... I can’t. As tears dripped down her cheeks, Twilight looked away and lit her horn, pushing her door shut.

Tempest bit back a whimper, then closed her eyes.

“It was you?” Starlight breathlessly asked. “You were the one who did all of... this?”

A single tear slid down Tempest’s cheek. She nodded once, then looked at her.

Starlight’s eyes narrowed, then she relaxed. “Come on, you,” she said. “Let’s get you a place to sleep, and then we can start fixing things tomorrow. You’re not the only villain that Twilight took in, you know.”

Tempest blinked a few times. “H-Huh? Wait, are you Starlight? Twilight told me a little about you.”

“All horrible things, right?” Starlight giggled. She rubbed the back of her neck. “Anyways... just give Twilight some space and she’ll come around. You’re very lucky to have her on your side.”

“Sure doesn’t feel like it now.”

“Yeah... It’ll get better, I promise.” She wrapped a hoof around Tempest’s neck and gently tugged her down the hallway. “There’s a spare bed in my room you can use. Spike’s fast asleep in the room next to ours. He just fell asleep a little while ago, so try to be quiet, okay?”

“Okay,” Tempest whispered. She walked down the hall after her, only stopping when Starlight opened a door on her left. She followed her inside, shut the door as softly as she could, then turned around in the dark room. Starlight had already flopped down upon one of the beds. Tempest cast a longing gaze over the other bed, then trudged towards it, wondering if she even deserved such a luxury. “You already know my name, don’t you?”

Starlight nodded.

Tempest sat down on the edge of the bed. “Well, it’s nice to meet you; you seem like the only friendly face here. I just hope I can make things right, because all of this?” She gestured around with a hoof. “It’s very overwhelming. After all that’s happened, I don’t think I’ll be able to make any friends here. It feels like Twilight is being overly optimistic.”

“All it takes is one, Tempest. All it takes is one.” Starlight rolled over onto her side. She shot her a warm smile, then said, “And you can count me as one of your friends, but only on one condition!”

Tempest fought back a groan. “What might that be?”

“I’ll only be your friend if you don’t snore like a freight train out of control!”

Tempest laughed. “Oh, yeah, about that...” She bit her bottom lip and glanced away, her tail swishing about on the sheets as she scratched the back of her neck. Starlight’s eyes widened, making her giggle and drop the facade. “You don’t need to worry. I don’t snore at all.”

“Phew! You had me going there for a few seconds!” Starlight said, using her magic to pull the sheets up to her shoulders. “I think you and I are going to get along...” A yawn made her pause. “Just fine...” Minutes later, Starlight was snoring like a freight train falling down Canterlot Mountain.