• Published 20th Oct 2017
  • 1,696 Views, 49 Comments

All Quiet on the Equestrian Front - Tempest Wind



It's been over a thousand years since Equestria saw a serious and prolonged conflict. As of 1009, that is about to change, and by extension, the lives of everypony involved.

  • ...
4
 49
 1,696

Antebellum

Si vis pacem, para bellum

One

Antebellum

The steady clip-clop of Twilight’s hooves across the elegant marble tiles of Canterlot castle echoed audibly throughout the grand hall, as the young Princess gazed about the empty throne room. The sun, having set hours before, had given away to Luna’s serene moon. Pale moonlight from the full moon of the evening flowed in through the stained glass windows, testaments to the successes of Equestria.

“Feeling nostalgic, Twilight Sparkle?” came the older, wiser, voice of who could only be Her Royal Highness Princess Luna, from her tone and tell-tale accent. “We dids’t not take thee for a nostalgist, but one who focuses on thy future.”

“Hm? Oh, hi, Luna…. And I don’t know, really. I just… felt a bit nostalgic, as you say. And.. perhaps a bit nervous.”

“Oh? Do tell, our friend? What ails thy thoughts on this peaceful eve?”

The younger of the two mares paused, before the newest stained glass window, peering up at its mix of bright, gleaming colors, mixing elegantly with the serene moonlight outside. “Hubris, I suppose. A year ago today, I, along with the girls, defeated Tirek. Before that, Sombra. Prior even to him, Chrysalis.”

“Ah, we see, friend Twilight. You worry for Equestria.”

The lavender mare blinked twice, as she gazed over to the midnight blue-coated alicorn, taking Luna’s posture and meaning in its entirety for several silent moments. “...Yes, I do. Maybe part of it comes from… seeing the other worlds; what could have been… Travelling after Starlight has really got me worried. Especially since,” she paused, taking a deep breath, her lips twitching ever so slightly, “the first world we were pulled into was at war.”

Silence permeated the hall, for a few vague moments, then gave way to the steady clip of Luna’s shoed hooves, as a large wing fell across the younger Princess’ back, the older mare herself sitting next to the troubled one.

“We... I understand your troubles, Twilight Sparkle. War is a troubling thought for sure, yet I can't help but feel similar. With the Griffon Empire of olde gone and Nova Griffonia a shadow of days past, not to mention Stalliongrad’s apparent revolt in my absence… it is strange to have seen Sister dearest keep such a small standing army.”

Twilight cocked her head to one side, lips pursed in thought. “Is it really that odd, Luna?”

“Perhaps a bit, truly. We firmly remember days of olde, whence Equestria had a grand army- thou must understand, young Twilight, that we were beset on three sides by the Dragons, Griffons, and the Deer.”

“The deer? Olenia?”

“Truly, yea. Honorable and dangerous foes under service of a mad king. Strange, after seeing the modern kingdom, is it not?”

The youthful alicorn nodded, absentmindedly, whilst images of deer warriors bedecked in steel plate and mail danced about her head. “Yeah, that's uh... wow.” She shook her head, clearing her thoughts. “But uh, back on the important thought.”

“Quite. You worry that Equestria is not able to defend itself.”

“If I may be blunt, Luna?”

“We would prefer it, Twilight. Thou knowest this.”

“For the last three years, Equestria’s main method of troubleshooting internal and external threats has basically boiled down to the girls and me… if nothing else, the Guard needs to be rebuilt into something that actually means something again, rather than just ponies sitting around looking pretty in shiny armor.”

“Hm. Oddly hawkish words coming from the proclaimed Princess of Friendship.”

Twilight blushed, furiously, snorting once. “I don't mean it like that! Luna!”

The elder mare tittered, folding one wingtip up to cover her mouth. “P-pfeh-pardon my snark, Twilight. We understand you mean well. Still, I do wonder what caused you to mull over the thought, as much as I do agree.”

The lavender mare sighed, glowering at the amused moon princess, before softening her gaze. “I was talking with Shining, last week; you know the girls and I went up north to visit Shiny and Cady... and Flurry. I guess I just… worry for my friends and family. I don't like having all that weight of their defense on my head.”

“You don't wish to be their only saviour.”

“I wouldn't put myself on that high of a pedestal… but… yes. What if anything happens to the girls or me? That’s it. No offense, but you and Celestia are only so powerful, without access to the elements. Chrysalis proved that.”

“Thy words wound, Sparkle. But, you are quite possibly correct. At the end of the day, powerful as my sister and I are, we are only two ponies. And, we are not immortal goddesses, much as our faithful little ponies make us out to be.”

“I think… yes, I'm sure of it. We need to look at our national defenses. Tomorrow morning, would you terribly mind staying up to help me make my case to Celestia.”

“Thou ask much of us, Young Sparkle! Woe, unto my sleep schedule.” The mare stood on her hind legs, front hooves stretched toward the roof as her wings covered her barrel and face. She held the pose for a few moments, before giggling, as Twilight joined in after a moment’s grumpy glare, and she sat back down to her previous position. “Yea, Twilight Sparkle. We shall help make thy case tomorrow. We must prepare for the future- for better or for worse.”

“Thank you, Luna. It means a lot to me.”

“Aye, ‘tis clear as the daylight sky. Go in peace, Young Twilight. We shall be up bright and early in the morn’ to meet thee at the castle.”

“Right. I'll uhm.. stay here for a bit, if you don't mind. I still need some time to gather my thoughts.”

“Quite. Very well, my friend. Do not overly trouble yourself so as to lose out on thy important sleep, but we shall respect thy wishes. Good evening, Twilight Sparkle.”

“And... you as well, Luna.”
---

Celestia hummed a soft, oft remembered, tune quietly, as her horn alit with energy, shuffling about several articles of paper from throughout the day’s court. Her ever-vigilant honor guards- Brass Shield and Fulcrum- stood to either side, their ceremonial spears resting idly in their harnesses and draped over their equally ceremonial golden armor.

“Miss Raven, which of my little ponies are next for today’s court? I believe with Mister White Wash’s proposal, we’re ahead of schedule today.”

“Oh, ah, of Course, your highness.” The young unicorn bobbed her head, as she took a look at the day’s schedule, scrunching her nose as she'd adjusted her glasses to properly see the list. “Let’s see… Er… Princess Twilight Sparkle, in regards… To the military?”

The mare hummed, blinking. “That’s odd. Wonder what Her Majesty’s interest in the armed forces is, Your Highness.”

Celestia let out a small hum of her own, levitating a fresh piece of parchment and quill over to her throne, dipping the quill pen in an inkwell along its route. “Well, I’m quite sure we’ll find out shortly, Raven. Go ahead and send her in, since she hasn't decided to just walk in already.”

“Very well Your Highness; I'll fetch her at once.” And with a curtsy, Raven left the throne room through the double doors for a brief moment, leaving the eldest of the alicorns to her own thoughts.

“Odd, indeed.”
--

Raven cantered back in with her usual measured poise a few moments later, with the new princess, as well as Luna, surprisingly, following shortly behind her.

“Presenting Their Majesties, Princesses Twilight Sparkle and Luna, of Friendship and the Evening, respectively.” Raven bowed in reverence, announcing the two to the room, as a few guards murmured interestedly amongst themselves in the eves and alcoves within the room.

“Greetings, Sister, and my faithful student. What brings you to the Solar Court this fine morning?” Celestia inquired, as the two gave their own curtsies and approached the throne.

“Yea, 'tis a fair morning, sister dearest, though we do perhaps wish that we were more awake to enjoy it so.” The younger sister agreed, before nodding to Twilight.

At Luna’s wordless approval, Sparkle cleared her throat, looking up to her former mentor.

“Right, well… Let me begin by providing some context as to what I'd like to present, Pr-Celestia.” The lavender mare began, pausing slightly as she gathered her thoughts, before launching into her clearly rehearsed speech. “The Equestrian Royal Guard is currently sitting at its lowest enlistment numbers in over fifty years- which spiked upwards once in Nine Ninety-Seven, only due to the short and bloody Equestrian-Buffalo conflict the same year. Since then, enlistment has continued to drop to the point that I can count the number of proper Royal Guard divisions on one of Spike’s claws.”

She paused for a moment, moving her gaze to the few Royal Guards in the room, now listening intently. “I don't mean any disrespect to the Guard itself, but it's turned more from a military power to a well armed police force.”

“If I may stop you there, Twilight; why is it important? The Guard hasn't really had the need to exist in large numbers for many, many years. The conflict with the Buffalo tribes was regrettable, for all involved.”

“I agree. But, I’d also like to counterpoint with the fact that Equestria’s been the subject of many other incursions that would have greatly benefitted from a well-trained, modern military force. Nightmare moon. Queen Chrysalis- who, as you know, retook control of the hives last year, and has already occupied Olenia. Sombra. Tirek.”

“Aye, Sister. Your former protege speaks truly. We art sure that thou remember the mad King Plegia of Olenia, and the scars he gave you in battle.” Luna nodded, taking up the slack whilst Twilight let her take up the debate.

“I do. Quite well, in fact. I suppose that… I can see your point, Sister, Twilight. With… The fall of Olenia, I worry that Equestria is next. I’m no blind fool. Chrysalis and her ilk despise us, and the Military ‘exercises’ on our border are clearly war preparations. But at the same time… to even consider re-militarizing... It brings back old, forgotten memories. And not particularly bright ones.” The elder mare sighed, pausing to look up and around the throne room, eyes glazed over in thought. “ What do you two suggest I do, then?”

Twilight blinked, in confusion, before taking a deep, calming breath, and providing her beloved mentor an answer. “I think that… forming voluntary militias would be a good first step. At the very least, it’s something to help start training ponies in the way of warfare, and raises awareness for the armed forces in general.”

“Yea. Not to mention that ‘twould help fill a few rather under-staffed border fortresses. We do not believe it’d be a hard sell, either, given the right circumstances.”

“Oh? Do you have a thought, Luna?” The alabaster master of the Sun regarded her younger sister.

“Yea, Cellie. Perhaps thou should’st present it as a...positive character-building experience, like the filly scouts, or the Stalliongradian Pony Pioneers.”

“...Pony pioneers.”

“No, no, P- Celestia, Luna may be onto something, there. Stalliongrad has an education program they call the pioneers- it trains their ponies in several useful and applicable areas, such as engineering, aeronautics, mathematics, applied physics, and military branch operation… Perhaps… using some of their existing systems wouldn’t be a terrible idea?” Twilight interjected, cutting off Celestia’s grumbling.

The alabaster mare hummed, quietly to herself as she mulled the thought over. “I’m loathe to give the Stallionists credit for anything, but… I do admit the idea has its merits… How about this, why don’t you two draw up a practical implementation plan, then we’ll talk it out over lunch, tomorrow? Think you can have it done that early?”

“The day after would be more realistic, Sister.”

“That is fair enough. The day after tomorrow, over lunch, then. I look forward to seeing what you two come up with.”

“We won’t let you down, Princess!” Twilight bowed quickly, before practically prancing out of the room, a moderately apologetic and slightly miffed Luna at her heels.

With a dry chuckle and shake of her head, Celestia returned to her papers, shuffling them to look over the requests of the next petitioner in line.

“You hardly ever do, Twilight Sparkle.”