• Published 20th Oct 2017
  • 4,101 Views, 158 Comments

A Diplomatic Visit - Evilhumour



Ponyville is about to get an unexpected visitor - Swift-Pad, a diplomat from the wolf packs.

  • ...
6
 158
 4,101

Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

They had stayed in the hospital for a little while longer, with Twilight learning more from a few of the other Queens in All-Home, who were taking breaks from watching over Thorax and beginning to debate whether or not it was safe for him to begin his next stage of metamorphosis while the doctors were checking up on the changeling king to be.

Wise-Mind, meanwhile, had still been stunned when he had learned of all that had transpired, as had Swift-Pad, though in his case, he had stressed their reaction was less at what Twilight had chosen to do and more at the end result of her magic donation.

Rainbow Dash had managed to strike up a conversation with Pharynx over his combat style, while Spike had managed to talk to Thorax, and the two were getting along very well. Maxilla, meanwhile, had gone off to another room to have a quiet talk with Queen Metamorphia. The others had also each found someone to talk to. About the only one not speaking was Scolopidia, who was still looking a bit huffy. As Queen Tegmina had explained though, she’d been rather moody long before she ever became her hive’s Queen, and embarrassing herself by forgetting the basic abilities of a changeling with a non-emotivore hadn’t helped.

“She’s actually the youngest queen of our kind,” she told Twilight. “Developmentally, she was the equivalent of a teenager when she suddenly had to take her hive’s throne. Those kinds of hormones, on top of those released during the sudden maturation process, tend to make her rather… touchy, to say the least.”

Rarity tsk’d loudly, shaking her head. “The poor dear,” she said as she walked over to the still pouting changeling and started to talk to her, their conversation being muffled out by the other noises but it seemed the unicorn was making progress in pacifying the changeling, which pleased Queen Tegmina.

“Your friends are certainly interesting,” she noted to Twilight.

Twilight smiled. “They grow on you,” she said. “I had a hard time realizing how close we were getting at first, but by the time we’d finished our first world-saving adventure - which we’re going to be talking about at the Gathering - we were the best of friends.”

“I look forward to hearing it then,” Queen Tegmina told her. “All of our Queens will also be attending, given one of the topics being discussed.” She grimaced. “I’m sure you can guess who.”

“I know exactly who you mean,” Twilight said with a sigh. “I understand you wish to sever her from her hive - now that Prince Thorax is awake, is that a possibility?”

“It is the most likely one, yes,” Queen Tegmina said before peering at her. “You seem… disturbed by the idea.”

“Queen Tegmina, I may have personal issues with that person, but the idea of someling being forcibly cut off from their hive for any reason - as opposed to willingly doing so, as Maxilla has said she intends - just seems… wrong.”

“It is wrong; it is one of the harshest punishments we have for lawbreakers among our people. It is seldom done to a normal changeling, let alone a Queen of her age and reputation,” Queen Tegmina said. “But our former comrade has proven multiple times that all she desires is power and control, and has gone against our laws several times in the process and has put our entire race in danger. Her second invasion of your land, with the significance of the targets she chose, was the last straw.”

She then gestured towards Thorax, who was reading a comic book with Spike amidst the other changelings that were guarding him. “Thorax, on the other hoof, has shown nothing but compassion and loyalty to his people; he acted as he did because he loved his hive and didn’t want to see it destroyed. And right now, his hive is being destroyed as it now has two different people vying for dominance. If we wait too long then there could be a rupture in the entire hive.”

“That sounds bad,” Twilight said, feeling a sense of dread.

“It is,” Queen Remigium said, walking up to Twilight. “While it would leave him in charge of some of the hive that chose to back him, and her leading those that followed her invasion plans, the sheer division would prove fatal to the rest of the hive who have yet to make a decision, leaving over a thousand dead.”

Twilight shivered. “That’s horrible,” she whispered.

“So you see why we have little choice but to Seal her,” Queen Tegmina said. “And even if Thorax had not acted as he did, her methods involved greedily taking more than her share of love and leaving her subjects starving. She would have doomed her hive in the end, and that is something we could not tolerate.”

“Though we come to another problem,” Queen Scolopidia said, walking towards her with Rarity at her side. Twilight wasn’t sure when it had happened but it seemed her friend had given the Queen a light makeover, with her mane styled differently and there was a bit of makeup on her face. “Thorax, while at his second stage, is still not a Que-” she stumbled as Rarity coughed somewhat loudly. “I mean, King. Until he finishes the metamorphosis, he can’t take full control over his hive and thus we can’t really Seal her away yet. Your donation helped calm some worries that we had over the matter but the overall problem remains in place.”

“What... what if he isn’t able to become a King in time?” Twilight asked nervously.

“Then we may well end up losing an entire hive,” Queen Remigium said grimly. “We almost lost one already when Scolopidia’s mother was as badly injured as she was; Scolopidia’s ascension came in the nick of time.” She was quiet for a while before letting out a sigh. “Then there is always the other option that won’t cost a single life but it is equally distasteful.”

Twilight stared at her before a sense of horror fell over her. “You would give her back control over the hive,” she said with the other Queens nodding their heads.

“She-oh for the Eternal Swarm’s sake, Chrysalis,” Scolopidia snorted loudly and rolled her eyes as the other Queens’ gasping at her using that name. “Is fully aware of the situation and is probably preparing to get a deal that favours her if we are forced to give her her hive back. Namely, total clemency for her actions as she is so dedicated to securing power that she’d be willing to put her entire hive at risk. Personally, I’d rather use the other last resort before giving her back control, but I think a lot of that hive would rather die than let it happen.”

Twilight had a sneaking suspicion she knew what they meant. “You’re talking about giving them all the Seal, so they can live in new forms, aren’t you?”

“The absolute last resort, given how most feel about it,” Queen Tegmina said. “But still an option that we must take into consideration. They would have to choose between either death, enslavement under her,” the older Queen gave Scolopidia a pointed look which the younger Queen was doing her best to ignore. “Or abandoning their entire lives as changelings. Each option is a very hard pill to swallow, and we would all prefer to know that her hive would be safe under Thorax but until we are sure he is ready for the last metamorphosis, things will continue to favour her reclaiming her hive with the strong possibility of avoiding any punishment.”

Twilight shivered at the thought. “If Thorax needs more magic for that final step, I’ll donate as much as I can,” she said.

“That is good and all but he needs more love than anything, right now,” Queen Metamorphia said as she joined them. “And from his hive and his Queen, will be beneficial. Your magic donation could, in theory, push him the rest of the way but it would undoubtedly cause complications that would be harmful to him.”

Twilight nodded her head, her mind working at possible solutions but she would need time to see if it was possible. “If it helps, I did focus on feeling love and adding it into the magic I was sending him,” she said. “My love for my friends, my family. And I heard his voice when we were connected; he felt the love in the magic I gave him.”

“You have great magic,” Tegmina said, placing a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. “But this is a changeling matter and this requires extensive love magic expertise.”

“You have done me a tremendous amount of help but this is simply something you as a pony cannot help me with,” Thorax said, walking over to her. “I will always be grateful for your help though, never doubt that.”

“And as of now, we need to talk to Prince Thorax,” Queen Tegmina said, eying the rest of the people in the room. “Alone.”

Twilight nodded. “All right. We’ll give you your space.”

Gathering her friends and noting that Wise-Mind and Swift-Pad had already gone ahead, and that Well-Hidden had somehow slipped away unnoticed at some point, she led them back out of the room and into the hall, where Maxilla and the two wolves were waiting for them.

“There are times when I feel you will never cease to amaze me, your Grace,” Swift-Pad said. “Your aid of young Thorax… I have never seen such a thing in all my life.”

“Nor have I,” Wise-Mind said. “Your actions here today will undoubtedly be well-received by our people and other changeling Queens.”

“With one obvious exception,” Spike muttered. Then he grinned up at Twilight. “Thorax is awesome, by the way.”

“I am glad you two could become friends,” Twilight said with a smile. “What comic were you two reading, anyways? Power Ponies?”

“Nope.” Spike held it out. “The Mighty Brave Heart. Ancient warrior with a magic hammer fighting his evil brother and other enemies to protect the world.”

Applejack leaned in to take a look. “Is it just me, or does he look like Rockhoof?” she asked. “Ah mean, the colors are a little different, and he’s got a hammer instead of a shovel, but that beard and that body are so much like Rockhoof’s.”

“Actually, the artist did partly base him on Rockhoof,” Spike told her. “He said so in a letter columns in one of the older issues. The other guy’s completely made up though.”

“So you’re done with the Power Ponies series squirt?” Rainbow Dash asked as they were directed towards the hotel.

“No,” Spike said with confusion in his voice. “I’m just all caught up on it until the next issue comes out.” He gave a shrug of his shoulders. “I can be a fan of both, after all.”

Rarity nodded approvingly. “I quite understand, Spike,” she said. “I happen to be a fan of the stories of Shadow Spade, but she is not the only detective whose adventures I read. Though certainly the most stylish.”

“I didn’t know you read mysteries,” Twilight told her.

“Oh, it’s just a hobby of mine,” Rarity replied. “I have found that we have certain things in common - a fine eye for detail is a requirement in both investigation and in my own line of work. Speaking of, the last time I stopped in one of the shops, I found a series you yourself might enjoy - I know that you mainly prefer nonfiction, but in this series, the investigator is an amateur and a semi-retired librarian.”

Twilight suddenly looked very interested. “I’ll have to check it out then.” She blinked owlishly before adding in. “Once I am back in Equestria, of course.”

“Of course,” Rarity told her. “I know how busy we all are here.” She turned to the wolves. “On that note, is the Gathering to be held tonight, or tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow,” Swift-Pad replied, looking over his shoulder to Wise-Mind. “That gives everyone time to arrive and have a full night’s rest before the Gathering begins.”

“Yes, and I would strongly suggest you sleep early,” Wise-Mind said, giving Twilight a knowing look. “Lest errant dreams come into your mind tonight, young Grace Sparkle.”

Worried that he might be aware of Luna’s dreamwalking powers or that he might be guessing at them, Twilight instead simply nodded her head and thanked him before turning her attention back to Swift-Pad, noting the expression on his face. “Is everything alright?”

“I… may have mentioned the cause of your teleportation incident a few nights ago,” he admitted.

“I believe he is mainly worried about me,” Maxilla said, walking next to Queen Metamorphia with a smile on her face. “Though, I can’t really tell anymore.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders before nuzzling her snout with Swift-Pad’s. “It is done, my love.”

Swift-Pad looked relieved and overjoyed, nuzzling her back with his tail swishing behind him. “I love you, Maxilla. I just regret it took me so long to admit it fully.”

“I would have waited for a century if I’d had to,” she told him with a smile.

“Thankfully, you didn’t,” Queen Metamorphia told her. She turned to Swift-Pad. “Maxilla might have chosen to become like you permanently, but she will always be considered a part of my hive,” she told him, leaning her head down to him. “And as of this moment, that extends to you as well.” She then nuzzled him with Swift-Pad returning the gesture.

Rarity’s eyes appeared to have hearts in them, and Twilight could tell she was barely restraining herself from squeeing in delight. She herself, along with the rest of their friends, all had big smiles on their faces at the sight. “Congratulations, Swift-Pad, Maxilla,” she told the pair.

“I thank you, your Grace,” he told her.

“So do I,” Maxilla said. She nuzzled Swift-Pad. “For supporting us, and for being so understanding.”

Queen Metamorphia watched them both with a smile, before looking to Twilight. “I do need to get back to other matters now,” she told her. “Princess, I will see you again tomorrow, at the Gathering. Enjoy the rest of your day.”

“I will,” Twilight told her.

“And Maxilla… let me know when you have a date set for the wedding, will you?” She flashed the couple a smile. “I’ll be co-officiating with Swift-Pad’s Packleader, of course. And I’m sure Wise-Mind will be present as well, since Maxilla works with his pack.”

“I will absolutely be there,” Wise-Mind rumbled, a friendly twinkle in his eye.

Swift-Pad’s eyes twitched. “We’ll make sure to tell you,” he said.

“Good.” With that, Queen Metamorphia turned and headed off, with changelings following behind her. Taking a quick look at their left hind leg, Twilight could see they all had the same hole pattern which meant they were from Metamorphia’s hive. Which was obvious, even without knowing about their holes.

At Wise-Mind’s gesture though, she turned back and followed him as he led them to their hotel.


The rest of the afternoon was spent primarily resting, showering as necessary, and having dinner when that hour came. Swift-Pad and Maxilla had excused themselves to their own space for a while, while Wise-Mind had left to handle some business of his own. That left just the six ponies and Spike to relax in their room.

“Well.” Applejack stretched as she settled into one spot. “It’s been an exciting couple of days now, hasn’t it?”

“I’ll say,” Rainbow Dash replied. “Though I can’t wait to get back home to really stretch my wings, the Packlands have been a lot of fun.”

“I’m glad I’ve been able to see Well-Hidden again,” Fluttershy said. “It’s been so long…”

“Yeah, you two were getting a little cozy there weren’t you?” Rainbow Dash said with a teasing look on her face.

Fluttershy blushed. “It’s not like that,” she said from behind her mane. “We’re just good friends.”

“Of course you are,” Rarity said soothingly to her. “But I could see it in his eyes, how much he respects and admires you.” She gave Rainbow Dash a piercing look. “I may be something of a romantic, but even I know not every friendship is inspired by those kinds of feelings.” She clapped her hooves together. “Speaking of romance, I wonder what wolves wear for their weddings…”

“You’d have to ask Maxilla and Swift-Pad,” Twilight told her. “I mentioned your skills to her that night we were at Slice’s farm, and based on her reaction, I think she’d be very glad to have you make something for them once they’re ready.”

“Ooh! And maybe I can help handle the reception!” Pinkie said excitedly. She turned to Applejack. “With your help on the food, of course.”

“Ifn’ that’s what they want, Ah’d be glad to do it,” Applejack told her. “Ah’m looking forwards ta talkin’ ta Slice again before heading back ta mah farm anyhow.”

Spike gave her a curious look. “Are you actually thinking about taking her up on her offer?” he asked. “About staying here, starting your own farm?”

Applejack sighed. “Ah’ll admit, it’s tempting… but Ah can’t just leave Sweet Apple Acres for good, yet at least. Ah wouldn’t say no to visiting when Ah can though, bringin’ Granny an’ Mac an’ Apple Bloom here to let them see what it’s like.”

“Well regardless of your choice, you know we will support you,” Rarity said with a smile at her before turning to face Twilight. “Although I might be visiting the Packlands more often; I think there is a real market for myself to expand my shops here along with some branching out into the mining industry.”

“That’d be great,” Twilight told her. “I know you’ve talked about wanting to open more shops in other cities, once you had the bits to spare and the right ponies to help run them.”

Rarity nodded. “Once we get back home, I actually need to get ready for the Fashion Week showing in Manehatten - I’ll be showing off my own works, of course, but I’m hoping I can find some other talent there as well, maybe a future employee or two.”

Pinkie smiled at her. “That’s our Rarity!” she said. “Oh, and I am definitely going to recommend this country to Maud when I write her again. She loves looking for new kinds of rocks, and there’s a ton of them here. Maybe she can even put it into her rocktology thesis.”

“I am glad everyone has had a wonderful time here,” Twilight said, feeling wonderful. “I am again so thankful for all of you coming with me. I have learned so much about being princess in these last few days and I feel I can actually do this.” Her smile dipped for a moment before it reasserted itself. “And I know that I have much more to learn but I am ready for it.”

“I’m sure that Princess Celestia will be proud to hear you say that considering how you were a few days ago when we go home,” Spike said.

“Yes,” Twilight said slowly, nodding her head though she was aware her face did not match her words exactly. “When we go home.”

“Is everything okay Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“It’s nothing Applejack,” Twilight did her best to reassure her friend. “I am just thinking of other things at the moment. The Gathering tomorrow, the issue with Slice cannot be an isolated incident, the inheritance crisis with Thorax and Chrysalis and every day I am learning of new issues across our world. Princess Celestia might be powerful but I am coming to learn there is only so much she can do. And I… I want to be out there doing the things she can’t, to help our fellow sapients in the world.” She let out a sigh. “And I was not helping by pretending that ascending into an alicorn didn’t change anything. I needed to accept the reality that as a princess, I have the influence to help the world, build stronger friendships between the different races and nations. Swift-Pad has helped me see that and it is up to me to take the next steps, whatever they are.”

Twilight was taken aback by the stomping her friends were giving her and the smiles of pure pride and adoration on their faces.

“If anypony can help repairing the world and strengthen its friendships, it’s you, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash told her. “We believe in you.”

Applejack gave her own smile. “Now that’s the kinda can-do spirit Ah’m lookin’ for in an Equestrian Princess. Let’s do it, y’all.”

“Absolutely,” Rarity chimed in.

“Rock on!” Spike said cheerfully.

“Yes indeedily!” Pinkie added.

“Yaaay…” came Fluttershy’s response.

Twilight almost did a double-take. Deja vu, she thought to herself before smiling at her friends. “Thank you, girls. Thank all of you.”

Turning her head as she heard someone walking towards their suite, she went to answer the door and preempted the surprised gargoyle with the cart of food just as he was about to knock.

Once he’d brought it in and Twilight had thanked him, the seven settled in to have their dinner.


Morning came with its usual aplomb, and once Twilight and the others had all readied themselves with Twilight taking time to make sure each piece of her regalia was shining before putting it on, they went out of the room to meet Swift-Pad and Maxilla.

“Hello your Grace,” Swift-Pad said, tipping his head towards her, a smile clear on his face. “Are you ready?”

“As much as I can be,” Twilight answered after a moment of thinking of a proper and honest response.

“Then follow me, your Grace,” he replied with Maxilla walking towards her friends. “Maxilla has offered to show your friends around the city more while you attend the Gathering.”

“You’re not attending?” she asked, a fair bit surprised. “I’d have thought you’d be there to report on your trip to Equestria.”

“I am not that senior in my work, your Grace, to warrant attending the Gathering. I am just a junior trade diplomat with only four years of experience. Another of my department will be present with the detailed report I have given him,” he said with a strained chuckle and a shrug of his shoulders before Maxilla rubbed against him and her friend straightened his back. “The Packleaders and Elders of our people, some senior government officials and some of the Observers with their own reports to make will all be in attendance, as will the changeling Queens and lead representatives of the other races present in our lands, yourself included.”

For a moment, Twilight was nervous but recalled what she had said last night and then steadied her resolve. “Then please lead on Swift-Pad,” she said, holding her head high as he began to lead her towards the Great Mound.

The massive mountain that overlooked All-Home had been impressive from a distance, but now she could get an even better look at it, and couldn’t help but be even more awestruck. It was as tall as Mount Canterhorn itself, if not bigger; a number of roads led up its side, including one marked as the path to the Wolf’s Den, which Swift-Pad explained was the grand cavern in which the Gathering would take place.

It took some time to reach, but soon enough, they’d reached its entryway, where Swift-Pad backed away.

“Most of the attendees should already be here, and will be waiting for you,” he said. “I wish you all the best, Twilight.”

Nodding and giving him a friendly smile, Twilight took a deep breath before she turned and marched into the Wolf’s Den.