• Published 22nd Oct 2017
  • 1,145 Views, 31 Comments

Trick's Flashfics - Trick Question



An anthology of flash-fiction stories, 150 words long each.

  • ...
6
 31
 1,145

Famous Last Words

Author's Note:

Submitted in November 2017 for the "Logan's Run" Flashfic contest. (The object was to write a story with a title one letter different from one of Loganberry's published stories. I chose his story "The Book of Ended Lives" and—for the contest—titled this one "The Book of Ended Lines".)
(Dark, Drama, Sad)

"I don't need entertainment," said Fluttershy, frowning sadly. "It's been millions of years. Living in a barren world without animals is torture."

Discord snapped his fingers, producing Angel Bunny.

"He isn't real. I can tell," said Fluttershy. "We've been over this countless times. I refuse to leave you alone, but I still wish I could die."

Discord sighed. "I know, love. How about reminiscing, though?" He reached into his mouth and pulled out a book titled Famous Last Words.

"What's this?"

"A book holding the last words of anypony you've met. Say their name, and turn a page. Try it."

Fluttershy opened the book. "Rarity," she said. "Let's see: 'I need to lie down for a while?' I guess most last words aren't interesting..."

She paused, then said, "Fluttershy," and turned the page.

"Weird. Why would I ever say, 'Rutabaga intransigent equinox'—"

Discord disintegrated his wife and began to cry.