• Published 20th Oct 2017
  • 1,021 Views, 21 Comments

A Change in the Wind - Silent Whisper



Friends don't let friends feel alone in the world.

  • ...
4
 21
 1,021

A Date, A Painting, A Leaf

Crowded. It was far too crowded. Ghost waded through the sea of ponies, trying to find a way out. Everywhere she looked, there were just more of them, all strangers, all with blank faces. None of them so much as paused when she waved at them, none talked to her when she tried to start up a conversation. She was just part of the crowd, and nothing else. Alone, and yet surrounded by hundreds of others. It was terrifying, it was-

“Ghostie, hey Ghostie, wake up!” Misty was shaking her shoulder. Oh, Celestia above, it was just a dream. Ghost yawned and stretched, trying to hide the relief on her face. At least one pony acknowledged her assistance. Ghost picked herself up off the floor and stumbled her way over to the kitchen space.

Ah, burnt toaster pastries, courtesy of Misty’s phenomenal cooking skills. She levitated one in her magic and crunched down on it. There were notes of chocolate underneath the charred bits, so this wasn’t half bad for Misty’s cooking. Ghost remembered the waffles she had enjoyed the day before, and wished she had saved some for breakfast leftovers.

“So, I was thinking…” Misty said as Ghost made her way through the pastry.

“A dangerous pastime,” quipped Ghost, shoving the rest of her breakfast into her mouth.

“I know.” Misty grinned. “You need friends, Ghostie. More friends than just me. I mean, I’ll admit, I’m fantastic and wonderful and the best bestie in the whole wide world, but I can’t be here all the time. So today, we’re gonna make you a friend, alright?”

Ghost shrugged. “Whatever you say, though I thought you’d want to look for the spy today. I don’t have class or work, for once.”

Misty trotted over to the door, her form flickering into her unicorn disguise. “Maybe we’ll see him on the way to the coffee shop. A changeling can always spot another one. It’s instinct!”

Ghost bit her lip to keep from asking what happened all the other times Misty’s ‘instinct’ failed her, and followed her friend through the door. They started down the stairs together, Misty pouting at the broken elevator as they passed it. “So, why the coffee shop?” Ghost asked as they headed in her workplace’s direction.

Misty picked up a leaf and set it on her walking friend’s back, trying to count how many steps it would stay on before fluttering to the sidewalk. “A lot of interesting ponies go there! There’s bound to be somepony to make friends with!”

Ghost sighed and entered the coffee shop. It felt weird being in there without needing to rush behind the counter to take a customer’s order. The Java Chip Cafe was fairly empty that morning, with a few patrons sipping their drinks and reading a newspaper or checking their phone. Nopony looked as though they wanted to be bothered.

Figuring she had nothing to lose, Ghost walked up to the counter. It was Maple Spice’s shift, and she waved at them. “What can I get started for you two today?” She chirped, swishing her tail back and forth behind her.

Ghost squeaked. “Um, well, I don’t…” She trailed off, looking to Misty for help.

“Yeah, we’re here to make a new friend. When do you get off your shift? You and Ghostie here should totally walk around town and look at things!” Misty nodded, beaming back Ghost, who was attempting to hide behind her mane.

Maple giggled and looked at the clock. “I get off in a few minutes. Sounds like fun! I’ve got a few masterpieces I’ve been totally dying to show off to somepony, anyways!”

Ghost nodded and scampered off to curl up in a plush chair. She hid her face in her hooves. “That was so terrifying, oh my gosh. I don’t know how you just get up and, you know, talk to ponies!”

The changeling pat Ghost’s mane gently. “It takes practice, experience, and guts. You can do it, you know. You just gotta get up and make yourself talk to others. Hopefully this’ll help!”

Maple sauntered over as her replacement took over behind the counter. “So, like, wanna go out and walk around town?”

Misty answered for Ghost, who shrank back in her chair and wished it would swallow her up and hide her forever. “Of course! Go on, Ghostie, make me proud!”

With a bit of nudging from Misty, Ghost shakily stood up and caught up to Maple. She watched her coworker as she sashayed out of the coffee shop. Maple was an earth pony, and a gorgeous one at that. Her pink and grey-tipped mane looked fashionable, and she looked like somepony straight out of a fashion magazine. Ghost gulped. Of all the things to notice about her soon-to-be-friend, why did she have to focus on how beautiful she was?

Maple turned around, and Ghost did the same, only to blush in mortification. Misty was following a few paces behind the two, giving them encouraging winks and smiles. “You know,” said Maple as they rounded a leaf-strewn corner. “I think your changeling friend there wants to set us up on a date or something.”

The unicorn shook her head fervently, sputtering helplessly. “No... no! No no no, that’s definitely not what’s going on. She just noticed I’m lonely, and wanted me to make a friend. That’s all that’s going on, I promise!”

Maple chuckled and nudged Ghost gently. “Don’t worry, I’m teasing. I’m not even into mares. I am, however, interested in art. I paint, you see, and it’s totally going well. I’ve gotten a few shops to use my paintings as in-store examples, and I’ve even sold a few!”

Ghost pressed her face against the window of a shop Maple pointed out. The paintings displayed in the store’s frames were beautiful, something out of a dreamscape. The pastel colors blended together to create blurry outlines of shapes and places. “They’re amazing!” breathed Ghost. “I wish I could afford one!”

The artist smiled at the compliment. “I’m so glad somepony likes them! I’ve been inspired by everyday places and events, and I try to make them more exciting and beautiful. It’s just how I see things. Like, you’ve got a leaf stuck to your back.” She reached out to brush it off.

Ghost turned around to glare at Misty, who whistled innocently, her hoof full of leaves. Maple laughed and wrapped Ghost into a hug. “No, no, it’s okay. It’s given me an idea for my latest piece. I’ve been wanting to do one about autumn leaves, but I didn’t have the right color palette. I can’t wait to paint this!” She perked up, bouncing on her hooftips.

The unicorn smiled meekly. “Well, I don’t want to keep you from your inspiration, and I really should get back home to work on classwork, so, um…”

“Right, of course!” Maple nodded and swished her tail, sending a few leaves into the air behind her. “I’ll see you around, okay? I can’t wait to hang out more!”

Ghost waved as her new friend trotted off at a brisk pace. Misty popped up next to her, grinning like a maniac. “Aww, my sweet little Ghostie-wostie got a new friend! I’m so proud!” The changeling sniffled, pretending to tear up, much to Ghost’s amusement.

“Hey. I could have done that on my own! Eventually, at least.” She swatted at Misty, who cackled and dodged her hoof. They wandered off towards Ghost’s apartment, Ghost lost in thought. It took a special kind of pony to notice the beauty in everything like Maple did. She had to admit, it was fun to talk to somepony else.

“Hey,” Misty said softly, getting her friend’s attention with a friendly poke. “So, I really like Maple. She seems nice, and a perfect friend for you to get to know better. Plus,” Misty added under her breath, “I’m glad that she isn’t into mares.”

Ghost blinked. “Wait, why?”

“Um, nothing. Hey, did you want to grab a bean juice on the way home? We could totally get some, it’s got caffeine and, uh, mocha, and latte milk, and it foams like the ocean except less saltyish, I think? I mean, I never actually tasted it, so I wouldn't know, you know?" Misty babbled on, making Ghost shake her head. Sometimes, Misty really was odd, but that’s what Ghost loved about her.