• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 1,807 Views, 46 Comments

Daring Do & The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well: Canterlot Crisis - Canon Fodder



Daring Do and Mare-Do-Well join forces to take on the criminal organization, H.U.R.R.I.C.A.N.E. who have planned to unleash widespread chaos upon Equestria. Can Daring Do and the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well stop them in time?

  • ...
1
 46
 1,807

Chapter 2: Stratusfear

University of Canterlot, 3:28 pm, September 22nd

"So class," Daring addressed excitedly, holding a meter stick in her mouth. "Remember that the ancient Karithians not only worshiped their divine gift, they fought over it as well."

Professor Do walked gracefully towards the chalk board and pointed the meter stick at the drawing of an egg-shaped relic. "An ironic fate I must add. The Daylight Stone symbolized purity and brotherhood among the civilization of Karith. But it had sparked a civil war, bringing out the thugs and inner evil of the desert folk."

A midst the fun she was having delivering her speech, Daring failed to notice the abundance of sleepy or otherwise completely zoned out atmosphere of her students. Some stared aimlessly about the room, some stared at the beautiful sunny sky they were missing out on. But of course there were half a dozen ponies drooling on their desks fast asleep who had fell victim to the over enthusiastic mare's historical lecture. They couldn't wait for the bell to ring. But it was the longest sixty minutes they had ever had to endure. "Only two more minutes," most of them thought.

As Daring went on she seen her classroom door open out of the corner of her eye. It was the Dean. Even though she followed his motion with her eyes, she kept on tune with her speech. "...And so the Emperor sought the only valid solution, to hide the relic inside the pyramids on the outskirts of the kingdom," The Dean finally stopped against the back wall of the classroom, watching her with a grin on his face. "aaaannd it wasn't just any pyramid, it was one of five tombs that housed the remains of the most honored of the Emperor's ancestors. So through an underground tunnel, he fled the kingdom with the Daylight Stone and ran off with his assistants to the pyramids."

Meanwhile the Dean heard the slight snores of a nearby student and nudged him awake then gave Daring an approving nod. The Prof herself giggled through her lecture then decided to clue up to find out what her superior wanted. "For centuries the ponies and camels of Karith, mostly criminals and self-proclaimed masterminds that were known to be 'impure' of heart, tried to scavenge this ancient relic in order to exploit it's diamond exterior, shielding the divinity of the gold yolk inside it. All this was going against what the Daylight Stone stood for. In fact it was said that only those righteous and pure of heart could unmask the mysteries of the pyramids of Karith. And to this day it is still lost, still hidden, still...a mystery."

Right on the end of her lesson rang the bell. Signalling the end of her day's lesson plan and liberating her students from a life-sucking story and muggy classroom. Daring removed her glasses and sat down while she watched the ponies flood for the door. "Remember guys, we are having a quiz on Karith next class so study, study, study. That's means you too, sleepy head." The room was soon empty except for Do and the Dean who approached her desk with the grin still glued to his face. "Good afternoon, Sir! What can I do for you?" She asked happily, still giddy over her story.

The Dean chuckled loudly and padded Daring on the back. "You sure know how to put those kids to sleep, Miss Do." Daring didn't find his statement very amusing and sat staring for his real reason. He stopped laughing when he noticed she never took kindly to the joke. Then he cleared his throat and tried to recover from the awkward moment. "Right. This letter came for you in the University's mailbox this morning." He hoofed her the letter and Daring read the address to find out it was from Princess Celestia herself. "Wow! Princess Celestia? What could she want with me?" Her wings fluttered with curiosity.

The Dean frowned and shrugged. "Don't know. Open it."

That she did and when she had retrieved the letter, Daring Do unfolded it and placed her glasses back on to read what was written;

Dear Professor Do

You are more than likely wondering why I am contacting you. Well I would have addressed you personally but since I am on very important business in Ponyville, I have to make this letter very brief. This afternoon my nephew, Prince Blueblood will be paying a visit to the University. He has approached me to find him a proper tour guide for he wishes to attend next fall and I could think of nopony better than you, Daring Do. So with my best regards, I hope you and the Prince will have a splendid time.

Sincerely, Princess Celestia

She looked up from the letter bewildered and rubbed her hoof through her grayscale mane. "Wow...Prince Blueblood taking responsibility for his own life?" She huffed and giggled. "I guess there really is a first time for everything. Do we know what time he'll be arriving?"

Looking at his watch, the Dean pondered and tucked his ears back trying to remember. "Now I think the secretary told me he'd be arriving around four."

"Excellent," she clopped. Daring stood up from her chair and trotted over to her coat rack near the door that held her saddlebag and personal explorer's hat that had it's own history lesson from the marks and scuffs it had. She threw the saddlebags on with ease but took caution with her helmet and dusted it off before placing it on her head. "I'll be in the staff room if anypony needs me."

The Dean was watching her she cleaned off her hat and laughed. "You really care for that helmet of your's don't you?"

"This hat's been with me since my first expedition!" she exclaimed. She took it off again and began inspecting it's damage. "A good luck charm so to speak. It completes me like an old friend." She smiled down at her friend proudly and kissed it then returned it on top of her head. She walked out the door followed by the Dean.

University of Canterlot, 4:02 pm, September 22nd

As Daring waited outside for the Prince in the nippy autumn weather, she thought of what he could possibly be interested in taking. Then another question referring to the Prince popped into her head. "Why didn't he think of going to the School For Gifted Unicorns?" She asked herself with a fetlock under her chin. Although her wonders were soon blown away with a chilling gust of the seasonal wind. Then it had occurred to her that today was the first day of autumn. She smiled to the fact and nodded. "It's going to be a chilly one."

Suddenly by the sound of a majestic bullhorn, Daring Do and others who had been trotting around the campus took notice of the royal stagecoach pulling through the gates. She quickly checked her mane and brushed off her clothes and coat. Then as the coach came to a halt, she stood in front of the door and watched it open as Blueblood and his personal assistant stepped out. Daring Do shook hooves with his escort then bowed to the Prince himself. "Good afternoon, Prince Blueblood. How was the ride through Canterlot?" She asked, hoping for a positive remark.

The Prince gazed around the campus at what he referred to as 'common folk' and sighed at the large brick structure that stood before him. "Well it's not exactly up to my standards but I guess it will have to do, and the ride was fine. Miss?" Daring could just tell this was going to be one long afternoon but she didn't let her regrets show through her painted smile.

"My name is Professor Daring Do. Director of the archaeology division at the University!" she exclaimed proudly raising her brow.

As he flicked his mane back he seemed to ignore her introduction and he and his assistant began trotting ahead. "Let us get going shall we?" The Prince asked in a monotone. His nose almost reaching Cloudsdale.

"Of course," she laughed uneasily. She ran ahead to lead them toward the set of double doors proceeding into the school and held them open for the Prince and his assistant. After shutting the doors when three ponies made it inside, Daring presented the room proudly with her hoof. "This is school lobby. As you can see around the walls we have had many artists graduate from here that showed how talented they really were. What say you, Prince Blueblood? I think it adds a nice bit livelihood to the room." She hoped her enthusiasm would brighten his mood about the University. But she could tell the look in his snobby eyes were without care.

Daring went on without waiting for an answer and brought them around the room. "To your left is the office. If you need anything at all from here the secretaries will be more than glad to help you...Then right here obviously is a very short hallway. The two doors at the end are simply restrooms, nothing special. Left door is colts, right door is fillies. Now we'll move on and I'll introduce you to some of the classrooms."

She looked back at the Prince and found him checking his coat for dirt. She knew Blueblood wasn't interested in the place since he first came through the campus gates. She turned back around and let her ears sink as she muttered something under her breath. When they had arrived at their next destination she knocked on the door and turned the handle. They entered classroom and once again held the door open. "This is one of our Geography classrooms. Represented by the abundance of flags and maps about the room." She brushed her fetlock on her chest with a dashing grin. "I spent some of my time here in my school days."

The rotten spoiled brat of a Prince huffed. "Geography? Why I wouldn't be caught dead studying a rock or a tree. Let's get going. There's nothing for me here." He said strutting out the door.

The assistant followed and Do was left letting out a stressful groan when the Prince was out of listening range. "This colt is going to be the end of me..."

University of Canterlot, 5:14 pm, September 22nd

The tour was nearly complete and to Daring's greatly wanted relief, they had arrived at their final stop. Giving up on her positivity she let the end of her hoof droop as she raised it to show the Dean's office door. "Aaand this is the door to the school's Dean, or Headmaster. Which ever you prefer. As long as you're on his good side, you'll have no trouble making friends with him." She knocked on the door and they waited until they heard the approaching clops of hooves reach the other side of the door. It opened and Daring greeted him with a welcoming smile. "Good afternoon Dean White Collar. We've finished the tour...Thank Celestia."

With a brief bow, White Collar trotted over and greeted the Prince. "Ah We are so pleased to have you consider us, Prince Blueblood." Daring Do rolled her eyes. "I hope Professor Do has been of assistance to you."

Blueblood took the statement in and began examining Daring with his eyes. Head to hoof. He eventually nodded and suddenly changed his mood a midst more company. "Why yes. She has made this tour such a splendid time for me. I think I've made up my mind about where I want to be--"

"Ah ah," the Dean interrupted. "I want to hear all about at dinner." He shut his office door then lead the three ponies down the hall. "Come come. I have taken the liberty of having our chefs prepare a wonderful meal."

"Excellent," the two-faced Prince expressed happily. "I am simply famished!"

Daring was disgusted with the Princess's nephew. "I can't believe that colt!" she whispered loudly. Daring stomped off and trailed behind the three stallions to the staff room dining hall downstairs.

University of Canterlot, 5:35 pm, September 22nd

A milk wagon pulled into the gates of the University by a single stallion, soon being stopped by a campus security guard. "Where's the usual milkcolt?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" The milk stallion returned. He was an aquatic green pegasus with a pine-green mane and bright yellow eyes, wearing a blue cap, long white coat and blue striped apron over it.

The guard rolled his eyes. "Where's the regular stallion?" He asked again this time with a more demanding tone.

The milk stallion nodded and chuckled. "Resigned. I'm the new guy. Name's--" He was cut off by the imposing guard.

"Release yourself from the reigns please. Standard procedure, let's go." Without talking back the stallion complied with his orders and took off the harness. He stepped to the side of the wagon as the guard padded him down from his all the way down to his flank which possessed the cutie-mark of a dark puffy cloud with chain lightning exploding from beneath it.

"Hey watch it, mate!" he laughed as the guard brushed him down.

Then he was lead back to his reigns and told to move on. "Kitchen entrance around the back."

Meanwhile Daring Do, White Collar, Blueblood and his escort sat at a long dinner table adorn with four bowls of salad, carefully placed silver cutlery, sparkling vintage wine, and crystal wine glasses. Daring was shocked that Collar would go to such lengths just for a Prince like him. "So Prince Blueblood, Sir. Have you made your decision on which of our many fine programs you'd like to take part in yet?" White asked, chewing on a fork full of the salad appetizer.

The royal snob looked at him with admiration and smiled back after levitating a handkerchief from the table to wipe the corners of his lips. "Well though I was particularly impressed with your English department, I found Political Science natural for one such as myself." He turned to his assistant expecting approval. "Wouldn't you agree?"

"Of course, your royalness, Sir." Said the escort, bowing out of humility.

Daring was on the far end of the long table mumbling to herself as the Prince pleased Collar's state of mind. She did love her friend, the Dean, but it was insulting to see such a proud leader humiliate himself to a stallion far less worthy of being called 'Royalty'. "Blueblood doesn't give a damn about this school," she thought. "Just another selfish, naive, self-seeking Canterlot snob..."

"Political Science is a marvelous choice." The Dean replied showing satisfactory. "Our University has raised some of the best in our government today. Even some of those who weren't from this kingdom. You'll be taught in such things as the art of negotiation, debating, pin-pointing key issues, and mostly importantly giving the people what they want. That is the number one rule."

But suddenly his ears twitched and he thought about something before bringing it up. "Although one question alludes me. Why have you chosen here, and not the Princess' School For Gifted Unicorns? Being her Majesty's nephew, I'm sure you would have had an easier pick of the courses. Not to mention a much shorter distance to travel." Do looked up with interest in the question. For how picky he was throughout the tour, she couldn't wait to hear what he had to say.

The Prince took a sip of his beverage then turned to answer his question with a defensive tone. "I am not deaf, Mr. White Collar. I know I have been a subject of ridicule because of my connections and I intend to prove everypony wrong. You're right, being of the royal family I have pretty much every benefit in the entire kingdom. That is why I am taking my responsibilities here. I no longer want to be dependent on my aunt nor anypony else in the royal family. I must do this on my own."

Surprisingly, Daring felt sympathy for the young Prince. It must be awful having to go around and have others insult your integrity and lifestyle simply because of one's family. But her sympathy was limited knowing that Blueblood would have to forget one thing if he wanted to leave his past behind...his ego.

Back outside, the milkcolt parked his wagon next to the kitchen entrance and unfastened the harness once more. He trotted around the back of his cart and retrieved a plastic carrier with three bottles of milk in the slots. He knocked on the door and was greeted by a blue unicorn wearing a white apron. "Ah Yes wonderful. I'm very busy so please come in and lay the milk on the counter. Thank you." The cook sounded like he had his hooves full.

The puzzled milk carrier did so and laid the milk down while he watched the cook preparing some sort of soup. The cook looked back briefly and nodded. "Thank you!"

He tipped his hat and began trotting towards the exit. The cook continued to work on. A slick side smirk curved from the corner of the deliverer's lips and he flung himself around with a rope he retrieved from the pocket in his apron. He acted quickly and attacked the cook, wrapping the rope around his neck.

"So Prince Blueblood?" Daring inquired before sipping from the crystal glass. "Does this mean you'll be taking up a dorm room here as well?"

Blueblood answered the question between an arrogant laugh. "Oh I don't think so. I do have my principles, Professor Do."

"I figured that. But at least he's trying, I guess." She thought. Then Daring noticed the Dean looking attentively at his watch. "Anything the matter, Sir?"

He nodded with a disappointed frown. "Well it has been almost half an hour and Antoine hasn't even come out with the main course yet. Daring could you run down the hall and find out what is taking that no-good chef of our's so long?"

She finished off what was left in her glass then rose up from her seat. "Sure thing. Please excuse me, Prince Blueblood." She briefly bowed then left the room as Blueblood flicked her away with a hoof.

Do shut the door behind her then breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh Thank Celestia!" she whispered loudly. She raced away from the door to get as far away from the pompous ass as possible.

Moments later, Daring approached the double doors to the kitchen just down the hall. She proceeded to open them up but found that it was locked. "Strange. Antoine is always in here." She tried fiddling with the knobs but they weren't budging. Her ears twitched and her eyes widened. Something didn't feel right. "Antoine?" She called inside as she knocked.

There was no answer. She tried again. "Antoine are you in there?" When there was still no response did Daring make up her mind to charge down the doors. She trotted across to the other side of the hallway and stomped a hoof. "One, two, three!"

On three she bolted and as she burst through the doors, she heard the thick cacophony crack of a mop handle wedged in the handles of the doors acting as a lock. Do looked around the room worriedly. It wasn't like Antoine to be so secretive. She heard commotion coming from the back door. Then she walked around the corner to find the milkcolt disposing of Antoine's limp body in a deep freezer. The aquatic colored pegasus looked up on instinct and immediately charged at the startled mare.

Daring gasped and leaped out of the way, causing him to tumble into a shelf of pots and pans. As the utensils fell on the staggering pony, Daring Do galloped over to an intercom on the wall and slammed her hoof on the call button. "Come in, base! This is Da--" She was cut off in an instant as the assailant managed to break free of the raining debris and assault her from behind. Do struggled while her hat fell off a midst the chaos. He had his hooves around her stomach, trying to squeeze the life out of her. But the experienced Do laughed in the face of danger and knocked her head back and bashed it into the schnoz of her attacker.

He let go. This allowed Daring a shot in the gut them knocked him across the face. The milk stallion drew back and leaned against a counter, grabbing onto a serrated bread knife in his teeth. Daring went to further pummel the assailant but winced back in surprise as he swung around with the blade targeting the adventuress. He pressed on and wrapped his hooves around her once more and leaned his head in to slice her neck. But Daring pushed her forehooves against the pressure, just barely holding on. He leaned her against the hot stove and also tried shoving her head towards a pot of scolding soup while still wielding the sharp increment.

Daring Do found herself between a rock and hard place. Further and further she could feel the steam of the boiling soup reach her mane while the blade drew closer to her jugular. She was desperate and her hooves began quivering from the pressure of him trying to drive his head in for the kill. Daring looked away for a fraction of a second and smiled when she saw it. As swiftly as possible she held the pegasi's head back with a single hoof and quickly reached over the counter and scooped up some flour in her fetlock, then threw it into the eyes of the attacker.

He dropped the knife and brought up his forehooves to cover his eyes by reflex. Daring used the opportunity to use her backhooves and shoved the pony across the kitchen against a sink. This time Daring would tackle but the attacker came off the powder with ease and threw Daring aside against the edge of the sink gut first. She let out a grunt but sprang her backhooves against the stallion once again, sending him back on the hot stove. He accidentally burned his leg and grabbed onto the pot of soup with both hooves, flinging it at the mare.

She turned around and ducked the onslaught of piping hot pellets with cat-like reflexes. He came at her again, but this time Daring was ready and grabbed onto his hoof as he came down for a chop. She retaliated with a hard kick to the gut which sent him on his flank. He countered again with an uppercut and Daring coiled back and fell into a large crate of potatoes, dazed. She shook off the stars and gained her composure to fight back but looked up only to have an iron skillet smack her in the head, knocking Daring Do out cold.

The assailant dropped the pan and took a deep long breath of relief. He still panted as he rested, and looking around he could see the damage done to the room. Without a moment to lose he walked over to the intercom and pressed on the call button. But this time he impersonated Antoine's voice with near perfection. "Hello? This is Antoine. We have dangerous gas leaks in the main building. Some personnel overcome. Evacuate immediately and send for emergency medical services..."

"Chef Antoine I read you loud and clear," said the voice on the receiving end. "Sending for help now."

Then moments later, an echoing siren was heard over the entire campus and a voice came over the loudspeakers. "Control to all stations. Code 10. Evacuate the main building, this is not a drill! Emergency! Emergency!"

With everything going as the sinister stallion wanted, he picked up the milk carrier in his teeth and made way to the halls. Before he entered, he took a good look down both sides to assure nopony was coming. When he discovered the coast was clear he moved on. He trotted down the way Daring had come, looking side to side each time he passed a door with a window.

Suddenly a door opened just ahead of him, the pegasus sidled against the wall, waiting. To his regrets it was two security guards. But he smiled cleverly and placed the milk down then picked one bottle up, throwing it at the guards. The milk was not all it seemed to be as it exploded with an overwhelming force next to the guards, propelling them back into whatever room they exited. The milk stallion quickly picked the basket back up and began moving faster down the hall.

Meanwhile everypony outside the building heard the explosion and a couple windows shattered. But worried for the Prince's well being were the royal guards who were pulling the stage coach. The four of them removed their harnesses as fast as possible and galloped into the building whilst being called to come back from a school official. "You can't go in there! Come back this instant!"

The assailant approached the dining room door then was forced to hide again as the four burly white stallions made their way into the school. "Hey you! Get out here!" one of them shouted. He pressed against the wall again and picked up another bottle of 'milk' and tossed it. It hit the wall and exploded like the one before. Every one of those guard were up against the opposite wall then bounced off, smacking the ground with shocking thuds. The pegasus stood at the door and placed the last explosive in his apron pocket.

He opened the door and waiting for him was the Dean who gave him a good shot in the mouth. He was knocked back outside into the hallway. White Collar undid his tie and followed him to continue unloading on the stallion. Shot after shot connected as his spit and even a couple teeth flew everywhere. The assailant kept staggering around until he tripped and fell back. White Collar stared down at him. "What's that? You're going to have to speak up, Son. I'm an old colt you know!" the Dean exclaimed proudly.

The pegasus looked up and shook himself into focus then seen the Dean in front of him. He reached into his pocket and searched around. Eventually he grasped the handle of something in his fetlock. He pulled it out with lightning speed and flung the kitchen knife at White Collar as hard as he could. The Dean gripped into a look of surprise and attempted to jump out of the way...but it was too fast. The knife dialed in and pierced the stallion's side. He let out a painful scream and fell rubbing his hoof over the wound as he felt himself getting colder.

He disregarded the Dean's pain and made his way into the dining room. He shut the door and locked it, then stared at the terrified Prince Blueblood and his quivering assistant. The assailant trotted over and revealed a syringe from his pocket. "Get up!"

"Don't kill me!" Blueblood cried shielding his eyes from the fearful scene.

"I said get up!" the pegasus grabbed a hold of them and stood them up against the wall. He held the needle in his wing and had it pointed at the assistant. "Now listen to me or else I'll make it the worse twenty seconds of your life. Move!"

He nudged them to the door and kept them glued to each others' side. They trotted out the door and Blueblood winced at the twitching body of the Dean. "This is horrid! Don't kill me!"

They were led into the evacuated lobby and waited by the window. For what, they didn't know. Except for the pegasus renegade who kept his eyes on the front gates. Then moments later, the three noticed an ambulance wagon being pulled through. Blueblood raised a brow. "Who's that for?"

The assailant smacked the Prince on the back of the head. "You comrade." He fell unconsciously onto the shoulder of his assistant who had the needle pointed at him again. "Help him or I kill you both!"

Then he emptied the remainder of his apron pocket. Retrieving a stethoscope and throwing the last bomb towards the school office. Glass flew everywhere as the windows shattered on the outside of the school. Ponies ran frantic, trying to get away from the radius of the explosions. Meanwhile the assailant threw his apron and hat aside then placed the stethoscope around his neck. Giving him the appearance of a doctor. With that he got behind the Prince's personal escort and budged him. "Move..."

They went out the front door, soon being followed by worried teachers as they seen the Prince being escorted out unconscious. This time the 'Doctor' changed his voice to make him sound more professional and trustworthy. "Now calm down everypony. The Prince is merely experiencing some trauma from the emergency. There is nothing to fear. Please back away and let me do my job. He needs his air." They arrived at the ambulance and paramedics were standing by and took over, leading the woozy Blueblood to lay down on a stretcher. His assistant was still held captive with the needle concealed underneath the pegasi's wing so he could not fink on the criminal unless he would give his life. He had the urge to but was too afraid as he watched the Prince be loaded into the ambulance. Then he felt the tip of the syringe back away as the pegasus moved away from him and jumped into the back of the ambulance. He gave him a wink then shut the door, driving off with the Prince.

The mortified assistant slowly turned away and galloped to find security and tell them what had just occured. Was the Prince heading to a hospital, or had he just been kidnapped?

To be continued