• Published 7th Dec 2011
  • 3,123 Views, 37 Comments

Cherish - scootalooftw



Rainbow Dash loses her memory after an accident, but will her friends be able to help her remember?

  • ...
5
 37
 3,123

Shattered Dreams

Chapter 3






"YAY! SHE DID IT!" Fluttershy's cheers rang above the rest of the crowd as Rainbow Dash's name was announced as the newest member of the Wonderbolts.

Rainbow Dash beamed with pride as she heard her normally quiet friend cheering above the rest of the crowd. After two years and just as many failed tryouts, the Wonderbolts had finally accepted her into there ranks.

As Dash ascended the stage she spotted Fluttershy shrinking back behind her mane, embarrassment from her sudden outburst causing her face to turn bright red.

Rainbow Dash crossed the stage and came to a stop in front of Soarin'. He handed Rainbow Dash her flight suit and a pair of flight goggles with a quick smile.

Donning her goggles, Rainbow turned and approached Spitfire. "I'd like to welcome you, Rainbow Dash, as the newest member of the Wonderbolts!" As she finished the crowd erupted into cheer once more.

Once the crowd died down Spitfire continued, "Now, do you have anything to say before we continue the Initiation Ceremony?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my gosh, yes!!" Dash cheered, looping through the air. "I finally made it, omygoshomygosh!!"

"I'm... very happy... for you... Rainbow Dash.... But could you.... please slow down...." Fluttershy panted, straing to keep up with Rainbow Dash.

"Oh, I'm sorry 'Shy, I'm just so excited. I finally made it into the Wonderbolts!" Dash giggled to herself as she looped back to Fluttershy. "I just got so excited i kinda forgot you were back there... heh."

"Oh, it's quite alright Rainbow Dash. But... um... do you think we could maybe stop for a drink? If that's ok with you..."

"Of course we can stop, 'Shy, but i don't see any water anywhere nearby." Dash cast a quick glance around. "We're about to pass over the Everfree Forest now, and Cloudsdale is about as far away as Ponyville at this point."

"Um... what about the clouds?" Fluttershy suggested, stifling a giggle.

Dash looked up then immediately face-hoofed.

"Of course, I knew that 'Shy, I was just testin' ya." Rainbow joked as she flew up to grab Fluttershy and herself a cloud.

Both ponies drank there fill from the cloud before Rainbow Dash let it break up and float away. As she watched the cloud disperse she noticed an ominous looking storm front moving towards them over the Everfree Forest.

"Uh-oh," Dash turned to Fluttershy, "that storm looks pretty nasty 'Shy. I think we should land for a while and continue once it passes over us."

"Oh, um.... but the girls... they're all waiting for us.... Don't you think we could fly through it?" Fluttershy suggested.

"Well... We could probably just fly over the storm. But then we wouldn't be able to see Ponyville unless the storm broke before we passed over it. But you're afraid of heights. Last time you flew that high your wings locked up out of fear and i had to catch you. Hmm..."

"Um... what if we just flew really low?" Fluttershy suggested.

"Hmm? What was that Fluttershy?"

"I said... um... what if.... we just.... fly... really... low?" Fluttershy mumbled before ducking behind her mane.

"That could work, yeah. But it's kind of dangerous. Are you sure you can handle it 'Shy?" Dash asked, casting a worried look at Fluttershy.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine." Fluttershy assured her.

"Ok then. Just remember, stay as low as possible and avoid updrafts. If you get pulled up by one there's no telling what could happen."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They had only been flying for about 20 minutes, but it felt like an eternity to Rainbow Dash. Her wings were burning and the driving rain was blinding her. 'Why did i have to leave my goggles back in the locker they gave me? That flight suit would come in handy, too. It's getting pretty chilly. I wonder how Fluttershy is holding up?'

As she finished her internal dialogue it hit her. "Fluttershy!"

Rainbow whipped around and began frantically searching for her friend. 'Oh no, where is she? Where is she?'

Rainbow Dash flew back the way they came searching for any trace of Fluttershy. She was scanning the tree line, looking for any sign of a landing, crash or otherwise, when a caught a brief flash of pink up in the clouds.

Rainbow was barely able to make out the pink and yellow pegasus flying dangerously high. She started flying towards her when she saw Fluttershy's wings give out.

"Oh no... Oh no, ohnonono!!" Rainbow Dash flew as fast as she could, angling herself so she would meet Fluttershy mid fall.

Rainbow Dash caught Fluttershy and tried to slow there fall. As the ground was rushing up to meet them she realized that with the fatigue of the day, from her try-out and flying through the storm, that she wasn't going to be able to stop in time.

Dash re-doubled her effort and flew up with all her might, but she was to tired, and they were falling to fast.

Realizing a crash was unavoidable, Rainbow Dash spun and put herself between Fluttershy and the ground.

'So this is how it ends?' Rainbow thought as she felt the branches tearing at her back.

The last thing she heard was a crack of thunder and then her world went dark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wahh!" Dash yelled as she jolted awake.

Taking a moment to catch her breath, Rainbow Dash glanced around the room. The first thing she noticed that it was pitch black outside, and that the room was completely empty.

Once her eyes adjusted to the light, she realized she wasn't alone. Scootaloo was curled up on a blanket next to her, and that she had been moved onto a mattress laid out on the library floor.

'Wow, how long was I out?' Rainbow wondered.

Standing up, she contemplated waking Scootaloo, then decided against it and instead headed for the door.

Stepping out into the cool night air, Rainbow Dash spread her wings and let the breeze ruffle her feathers. When the breeze died down Dash took flight and lazily glided through the air, enjoying the feel of the cold night air through her mane.

When she felt she had had enough, she angled her way back towards the library and glided towards it. Not paying any attention she bumped right into somepony.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you th.... Soarin'?"

"Hey Rainbow Dash," Soarin' chuckled nervously "imagine bumping into you here."

"Yeah, heh, what are the odds... Hey, wait, shouldn't you be in the hospital?"

"Oh, yeah, that. They... uh... released me early!" Soarin' exclaimed "For good behavior?"

Dash face-hoofed, ignoring the obvious lie. "So what are you doing out here? I thought you would be partying it up with Spitfire when they 'released' you" Dash teased, putting a little extra emphasis on 'released'.

"She's not really my type... And as to why I'm out here, I was looking for you, actually." Soarin' mumbled, blushing a little at the end.

"And how did you know I was going to be out here?" Rainbow smirked. "Ya have them put a tracking chip in me while I was out?"

"I would never!" stated Soarin', pretending to be insulted. "I just figured that with a month off you might come to see your friends."

"Oh, my friends...." Rainbow's ears drooped a little.

"Um, so why did you dive in front of me?" Dash asked, quickly changing the subject.

"What?" asked Soarin', surprised by the sudden change of subject.

"I said why did you dive in front of me?" Dash repeated.

"Oh, well, um.... You see..." Soarin' stuttered. "The truth is... I uh..."

"Ok," Soarin' sighed "the truth is that I lo..." A light flicking on in the library caught his attention.

"Look at the time! I gottagobye!" Soarin' turned and sprinted off, leaving a confused Rainbow Dash behind.

"Wait, what? Soarin', come back!" she called after him, but Soarin' was already gone. "Well that was weird."

Rainbow Dash sighed and turned back towards the library, noticing Twilight stepping out onto her bedroom balcony and gazing up towards the stars.

Gliding down to the library, Rainbow Dash landed next to Twilight. "Hey Twi."

Twilight jumped, just noticing Dash had joined her. "Oh, Rainbow Dash, you startled me."

"Heh, sorry about that." Dash apologized, rubbing the back of her head with a hoof.

"It's fine Dash, just don't sneak up on me again." Twilight joked, turning towards Dash

Now that she was looking straight at her Rainbow Dash could see a difference in Twilight from earlier. Her face looked paler and almost wrinkled, and her horn was now almost gray.

"Hey Twi, you don't look so good. You sure you should be out here?"

"I'll be fine Dash, don't worry. That spell may have taken its energy from you, but it still took quite a bit out of me."

Twilight's eyes widened with a sudden realization. "The spell! Do you remember anything?"

"Well, kind of. I remember bits and pieces." Rainbow concentrated for a moment. "I cam remember a few names, and some places, but that's all."

"So it didn't work than..." Twilight hung her head in disappointment.

"Well i wouldn't say that, after we passed out i had a dream. It was the nightmare I've been having for a while now, but it was different. It was clearer, and all the details that were always missing were there, too."

"So then the spell wasn't a complete failure..." Twilight said, cheering up upon hearing this.

"Nope. In fact, I think I like this better. Isn't to much to take in all at once, ya know?"

"Yeah," Twilight smiled at Dash "I guess"

They sat in silence looking up at the sky for a while before Rainbow Dash finally spoke. "So, Twilight..."

"Yes Dash?"

"There's one thing i couldn't remember that i wanted to ask you about."

"Go ahead Dash."

"I was wondering how you found us." Dash asked, looking hopefully at Twilight.

"Oh, that... "Well, get comfortable then, its a bit of a long story."

Once Twilight and Rainbow Dash were both comfortable, Twilight began

"It was the night of your try-outs...."

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't wait for them to get back, this is going to be such a super-duper-splendiferous party!!" Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing around the room.

"Come now Pinkie Pie, watch were you're going! It took me ages to fix my mane, and i wouldn't want you to ruin before Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy even get back." Rarity snapped, after barely avoiding the hyperactive ball of pink bouncing past her.

"Ah don't know sugarcube, 'ts gettin' kinda late. Maybe we should jus' pack it 'n fer the night, meet back up 'n tha mornin'."

"I have to agree with Applejack, it is getting late." Twilight stated, heading towards the door.

"Oh!! I know!" Pinkie Pie shouted, bouncy in front of the door. "Let's all sleep here! That way if Dashie and Fluttershy show up in the middle of the night we can still be here to congratulate them!"

"Pinkie, darling, it's Rainbow Dash we would be congratulating, not both of them." Rarity corrected Pinkie.

"But why wouldn't we congratulate Fluttershy? Especially for making it through a big scary storm like that!" Pinkie exclaimed, once again bouncing circles around the room.

"Pinkie, what are you..." Twilight started, and then, almost as if on cue, a bright bolt of lightening made the lights flicker, followed by a deep, rumbling thunder that shook the building.

"Oh dear, now how am I going to get home without ruining my mane." Rarity complained.

"Well, Ah guess were gunna sleep here t'night after all. Ya really gotta show me how ya do that Pinkie." Applejack said, clearing herself room to sleep.

"Do what?" Pinkie asked, before happily bouncing off to get pillows and blankets for her and her friends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight awoke to the smell of pancakes and hay bacon. She stumbled groggily to the kitchen to find Pinkie Pie busy preparing breakfast.

" Wha time isit." Twilight slurred.

"Coffee is right over there, Twilight." Pinkie stated cheerfully.

Using her magic to pour herself a cup of coffee, Twilight took a seat at the counter. "Ahh, that's better. What time is it Pinkie?"

"It's pony time, of course, Twilight." Pinkie stated matter of factually.

Rolling her eyes at yet another one of Pinkie's random outbursts, Twilight glanced over at the clock. "8 A.M.?! Did Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy come in while we were sleeping?"

"Of course not silly. Why else would I be making breakfast for when they got here?"

"Oh, I don't know, I thought maybe you were making it for the other 3 ponies sleeping on your floor." Twilight responded, slightly annoyed.

Pinkie froze for a moment in mid pancake flip, a look of deep thought on her face. To Twilight's amazement, the pancake remained suspended in mid-air.

"Oh yeah!" Pinkie exclaimed, returning to cooking, the pancake falling back into the pan.

"I... I'm uh, I'm going to go wake up Rarity and AJ..." Twilight turned and walked out of the kitchen, still trying to make sense of what she just saw.

A few moments later a semi-conscious Applejack came stumbling into the kitchen.

"Good morning Applejack, there's a fresh pot of coffee right over there." Pinkie motioned with her hoof towards the coffee maker. "Mugs are in the drawer below it."

Applejack poured herself a cup of coffee and sat at the counter as Twilight walked back in. "Well, Rarity left. Ran off towards the boutique saying something about 'not wanting anyone to see her in this state'."

"Ahh!" Applejack exclaimed after taking a sip of her coffee. "Ain't nothin' like a good cup ah joe tah wake ya up."

"Well if you think that's good, wait until you try Pinkie's Super-Duper-Scrumdidilyumptious Pancakes!" Pinkie said, somehow crossing the kitchen with a plate in each hoof and two balanced on her head."

"Um, Pinkie. You have one to many plates." Twilight observed. "Rarity already left."

"No she didn't, you silly filly, she's right there." Pinkie giggled, pointing to the door.

Just then Rarity came prancing through he door. "I'm so sorry about running off like that, I just could not stand the thought of anyone seeing my bed mane."

Shuddering at the thought, Rarity took a seat next to Twilight.

"Well, I was thinking. After breakfast why don't we go check to see if maybe Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy just went straight home when they got in last night."

-------------------------------------------------------

After eating, Rarity and Applejack had agreed to go check Fluttershy's cottage while Twilight and Pinkie Pie checked Dash's house. If no one was home they were supposed to meet back at the library.

"Pinkie, was it really necessary to drag that thing with us?" Twilight asked, casting a weary glance at Pinkie Pie's flying machine.

"Well Duhh! How else do you expect to get up to Dashie's house?" Pinkie asked with a grin.

"I guess I figured we would stand underneath it and call Rainbow Dash's name..." Twilight replied, disappointed in herself for a half thought out plan.

"We're here, yay! Hurry up and cast that cloud walking spell on me so i can fly up and congratulate Dashie!" Pinkie was already on her flying machine waiting for Twilight to tell her it was safe.

"Ok, you should be safe now, fly up to her house and tell me if she's home."

Twilight had barely finished her sentence when Pinkie was diving off her flying machine and through Rainbow Dash's cloud door. "Wee!!!!! Congratulations Dashie!"

"Is she there Pinkie?" Twilight called up. "Pinkie?"

Twilight was about to start looking for a way up herself when Pinkie came flying over the edge of Dash's porch on her flying machine, calling down "Nopony's home!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Pinkie Pie and Twilight arrived at the library, Rarity and Applejack were there waiting.

"Any luck?" Twilight called when Applejack noticed them approaching.

"Nope, looks j'st how Ah left it when Ah fed her critters yesterday mornin'" Applejack called back.

"Hmm... Well they could have stayed in Cloudsdale if the storm hit before they left. Or else they could have landed somewhere to wait it out." Twilight reasoned. "If they aren't back by lunch time I'll write the princess to see if she knows if they stayed an extra day."

With a new plan, they all headed into the library.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"The Princess wrote back! She said that after the try-outs Spitfire saw her and Fluttershy heading back this way!" Spike called to the group of ponies sitting around Twilight's kitchen table.

"Ah don't know about y'all, but Ah'm startin' tah get worried. Ah think we should get a search party together an' go look fer 'em" Applejack stood up, heading for the door "Ah'm gunna go get Winona an' Big Mac to help us look."

Twilight stood, sighing. "I agree with AJ, something is wrong. Pinkie Pie, you go gather up the weather team and ask them to fly ahead. Rarity, you inform the Mayor of the situation. I'm going to use there path from Cloudsdale to Ponyville to lay out search zones. Meet back here in 30 minutes."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


"When Rainbow Dash woke up she had know idea where she was. All she knew was that she was in pain. A LOT of pain. Her first attempt at sitting up resulted in her nearly passing out from the pain. Once she felt up to it again, Rainbow Dash attempted to sit up again. This time she managed to sit up and prop herself against a nearby tree.

Leaning against the tree caused a sharp pain to shoot through her back. When she finally managed to get a look at her back, she was greeted by the sight of a mangled wing hanging limply down her back.

Grimacing Rainbow forced herself to look away from her mangled wing, instead looking down the trail of damage left by her crash. It was then she noticed a pink and yellow pony laying near were she had woken up.

Gathering her strength Dash crawled to the injured pony to check on her. "'Scuse me..." she slurred, shaking the other pony. When there was no answer, Dash tried shacking her a little harder. When she did the yellow pony rolled over, pink mane moving to reveal a nasty looking gash on her head.

'Oh horseapples, that looks bad.' Rainbow thought, attempting to stand. 'I need to get this pony some help, but I'm not to much better off myself.'

Finally managing to get to her feet, Dash turned to walk down the trail left by her crash. 'But wait, i can't just leave her here. But i don't know if I can carry her.'

Rainbow Dash slid her head under the yellow pony and attempted to roll her onto her back. 'Well, she's a little lighter than she looks... Gahh! Watch the wing...'

The yellow pony now slung across her back and adjusted off Dash's bad wing, Rainbow Dash turned to head down the path left by her crash. 'Wait a minute.' She thought 'If I was heading the other way when i crashed, then maybe that's were i should go.'

Making up her mind, Dash turned around and headed back along the path she took when she crashed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Search of Section 3 complete, looks like we're heading into the Everfree Forest girls." Twilight turned and elad the way deeper into the forest.

"Oh I do hope we find them soon, I'd hate to get my mane all messy." Rarity whined.

"I jus' hope we find 'em in one piece." Applejack muttered, shooting Rarity a dirty look.

"Wait a sec, do you girls hear that?" Twilight stop dead in her tracks listening for something.

"Ah don't hear anythin' Twi...." Applejack started.

"Somepony... Anypony... Please... Help..."


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Please... Help us..." Rainbow Dash called out to nopony in particular. She wasn't sure how long she had been walking, all Rainbow knew was that she couldn't last much longer.

"Somepony... Anypony... Please... Help..." Dash called out again.

Stumbling a few steps further, Rainbow Dash stopped when she heard something. Unable to make out what she was hearing, Rainbow turned towards the noise. That was when she saw 4 ponies sprinting towards her. Or was it 8? She didn't care, all Rainbow Dash cared about was that she had found help.

Stumbling a few steps towards the ponies, Dash called out "Please... You gotta help..."

As she took her next step her world went dark.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


"And that's when we found you and Fluttershy and took you both back to Ponyville. You and Futtershy were in really bad shape, too. Your wing was broken in 3 places and you had a fractured skull. And those were just the two major injuries." Stifling a yawn, Twilight laid her head down on her fore legs.

"Fluttershy got off with only a few bad injuries. The gash on her head and a few broken ribs being the worst of her injuries."

Rainbow Dash waited a minute for Twilight to continue. When she didn't Dash looked over to see that Twilight had fallen asleep. 'Heh, looks like was still pretty tired. I should probably move her to her bed... But i don't want to wake her.'

When she noticed Twilight shivering, Rainbow Dash Laid down next to her and spread a wing over Twilight. 'At least she'll stay warm tonight.' Dash smiled to herself, drifting off to sleep.




A/N Ok guys, i know this fic took a LONG time to update, and im just as upset with myself about that as im sure you guys are at me. I truly hope that there wont be anymore ridiculously long delays between the remaining chapters.