• Published 17th Oct 2017
  • 1,564 Views, 73 Comments

Bright Winter Nights - InlustriusGhost



Bright Sight has never felt more welcome in Ponyville and finds a friend in a red stallion of few words. Even through the cold ice, this winter may turn out to be the warmest of all.

  • ...
6
 73
 1,564

Chapter 5: Burnt Bridges

Monday morning was the first clear and sunny day in a few days. The worst of the snow had come and gone, at least for now and the light of dawn on the remaining frost made the land glisten as it slowly melted.

Bright had awoken early, preparing for the library’s opening day. His fever quickly passed over the weekend, and though some sniffles lingered in his system, Bright was feeling well enough to greet the day. He dug through his bedroom closet, searching for something nice to wear while Ivory was lying on his bed.

“Bright, I was wondering about something…” She shared.

“And what’s that?” Bright stuck his head out of the closet. “Also, what do you think about this?” He held up a black and yellow plaid button shirt.

“Eww, no! That really doesn’t fit you.” Ivory critiqued, sticking her tongue out as if she was going to gag. “Why do you have that anyway?”

Bright looked at the shirt and contemplated. “I think it was a birthday gift from an aunt. She’s a distant relative so she hadn’t seen me since I was like four or five years old.” He explained before going back into the closet.

“Anyway, I wanted to know if you could tell me why you were feeling kinda glum over the weekend. I mean, not just that you were sick, but you also seemed kinda...not yourself.” Ivory frowned a bit, expressing her concern.

The sound of hangers being pushed aside on a rack stopped for a moment. Bright stood there inside the closet, frozen, unable to think of how to explain it away.

“Bright?” Ivory called softly, her voice riddled with worry.

“Um...Well...can you promise to keep a secret?” He peeked out, meekly, asking barely above a whisper.

“Of course. Cross my heart.” She reassured with a smile, drawing an “X” over her chest.

“...I...I have a crush on Big Mac…” Bright confessed.

Ivory stared blankly at him, processing what she just heard. Then, the next thing Bright knew, he was caught in a ghostly whirl as Ivory spun him around on his tail while hugging him.

“OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!!!” She squealed in brilliant excitement and delight.

“Iiieeeiiieeeiiivory! Stooop!” Bright pleaded, growing dizzy.

After a moment, Bright came to a halt. His eyes spun before he shook his head to recover from his dizziness. He rubbed his flank to soothe a bit of the burn he got from the carpet. “Ow…”

“Bright, why didn’t you tell me that you liked stallions in all this time!?” Ivory beamed.

“...So...you don’t think it’s...weird or anything?” He asked, shyly.

“What? Of course not! Sure, I might be a little miffed because we could have been fawning over guys, like, forever ago!” She laughed before stopping abruptly. “But wait. Why does your crush make you feel all depressed?”

Bright gave a short sigh as he continued to look through his closet. “Because, Ivory, there’s no chance in Tartarus that Big Mac would even like me that way.”

“Aww, come on, Bright! You don’t know that. Look at how fast you made friends with him. What if he likes stallions too?” She appealed.

“What if he doesn’t, Ivory!?” Bright suddenly snapped with a stomp of his hoof. He made Ivory flinch. “What’s gonna happen if I tell him how I feel and he doesn’t like me back?” His eyes had an affrighted stare to them. His voice trembled. “What if Big Mac gets a-angry at me bec-cause I’m a…” Bright stopped. He felt his eyes burn as they welled up and his legs were violently tremorring.

Ivory had never seen Bright so haunted with distraught. It was a side to him that she hadn’t ever known. “...Bright?”

He sat down on the ground and looked at his shaky hooves. Bright took a slow, deep breath and his trembling stopped. He wiped his eyes with a fetlock. “...Sorry, Ivory.” He apologized. “I just...can’t tell Big Mac anything. Ever. I don’t want to ruin our friendship.”

“I’m sorry, Bright…” She rested on the bed once more, shuffling her hooves.

“No, don’t be. It’s alright…” He earnestly assured. “I’m gonna keep on looking for something to wear.”

Bright went back into his closet in silence. Ivory was puzzled as to why he felt so strongly about avoiding his feelings. She breathed a sigh and left it alone for now. She knew that Bright would tell her when he was ready. Bright searched through the clothes he hadn’t tried, but his mind was stuck on Big Mac. He shook his head.

He’s just my friend. Nothing more…


It was completely crowded in front of Twilight’s castle later that morning. Bright stood among the gargantuan audience and he was quite baffled at the turn out for the opening. There must have been ten thousand or so ponies, all coming from around Equestria.

All this for a library? Wow...I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of books checked out today. He thought.

Twilight was front and center before the crowd and stood right by a ribbon that was neatly tied and placed at the base of the golden steps. She held with her aura a large pair of scissors.

“Welcome, everypony! I stand before you today, thrilled to unveil this new library. You see, when I was a young filly, I have always had a love of learning and education…”

Bright tuned out of Twilight’s speech for a bit when he felt that his sunshine-yellow bowtie was a bit loose. He readjusted it with magic and brushed his night-blue button shirt with a fetlock. He was quite pleased with the outfit Ivory helped him choose, especially since the weather wasn’t very cold today. His clothes were comfortable and he felt good about how he looked. He even brushed his mane to look more neat and formal. Bright knew he’d meet a lot of ponies today and he wanted to make a good impression.

Bright looked around at everypony who surrounded him. And noticed that there were a good number of ghosts accompanying some of them. He smiled and his gaze wandered until his eyes fell upon a red stallion that was standing some ten ponies to his left. Bright felt his muscles tighten up a bit and his chest beat hard. It was Big Mac, wearing nothing but a farmer’s yoke around his neck.

Bright internally groaned as he tried to focus back on Twilight. His heart ached, feeling like it was being crushed under a giant block of granite. Big Mac is an amazing pony and friend, but Bright tormented himself with the question “Why?” Why did it have to be Big Mac that he had to crush on? Why couldn’t he just like a mare for a change? Why did he have to be attracted to stallions? It’s just not bucking fair…

Then, Bright’s eye was caught by something else. He saw a brilliant yellow earth stallion with Big Mac’s likeness hovering right next to him. Wait...What the…? Bright thought he was seeing double for a moment and he blinked a few times before looking again. That ghost was still there. He was a bit taller than Big Mac and he had messy red mane that was about the same shade as a delicious apple, all kept under a cowboy hat.

Bright was dumbfounded at the resemblance between the ghost and Big Mac and he found himself staring at the two of them. Is that...Big Mac’s dad? Then, Big Mac shifted his attention in Bright’s direction and spotted him among the crowd. He smiled softly and waved at him. Bright was caught by surprise and he blushed a bit before he waved back with a grin that was more forced than natural. Then, when he looked again for the other stallion, he vanished. It probably wouldn’t be the last time Bright would see him.

He gave a short sigh. Being his friend is good enough, right? He asked himself. There’s no chance he’d like me anyway, but...being his friend would be better...At least...better than last time…

“...and so without further adieu, the Ponyville Library is now open!” Twilight announced as she cut the ribbon with her scissors. At that moment, blasts of confetti rocketed into the air before raining down on the stomping and applauding crowd.


“Enjoy the book!” Bright smiled as he passed a stamped book to a grateful young filly.

The library was pretty full of ponies. Many from the opening ceremony had gone away after the ribbon was cut. Perhaps they had only arrived for a glimpse or photo of the Princess of Friendship, but still, there were a lot who stayed to browse the selection. In fact, to keep the library from being overcrowded, there was a line for ponies to enter whenever somepony left. Spike kept track of the everypony in line while Twilight and Starlight helped Bright with checking out books. Seeing stallions, mares, and foals exploring the shelves and paging through each book clearly made Twilight extremely happy, because she had a huge grin cemented on her face since the doors opened.

Bright was scribbling a record of the book that was just borrowed when a hoof tapped on his desk.

“Howdy, Bright…”

He lifted his heterochromatic eyes and saw Big Mac standing there, holding a book that he intended to check out.

“Hey there, Big Mac.” He greeted with a shy grin.

Big Mac had hoped to see Bright here at the opening and he was glad that his friend was fairing worlds better than when he saw him last. He noticed Bright’s attire better than he did from afar and he looked admirably handsome. He felt his heart skip and Big Mac once again wondered how Bright, of all ponies, gave him this fluttering feeling in his chest. Was it how quickly he connected with him over the past week? Was it how Bright’s eyes lit up with life whenever he talked about magic, astronomy, or poetry?

He didn’t know for sure, but there was one thing that was bugging Big Mac for the past few days: how was Bright dreaming about Buttercup, his mother, that night they were snowed in? It couldn’t possibly be coincidence that he muttered both her nickname and her given name. Maybe Bright had met her in the past, but as far as Big Mac knew, Bright had lived in Coltifornia his whole life and never once did Buttercup and Bright Macintosh ever travel that far west. It was an impossible thing that Big Mac couldn’t wrap his head around, but Bright had to have the answer.

“What book are you going to borrow?” Bright asked.

Big Mac wanted to ask him about his mother, but he couldn’t form the words. “I-I...uh...Th-This one.” He stuttered as he placed the book on the desk before Bright. It was “Terrastra Legends”, the book that he let Big Mac read that night. Bright’s eyes widened a bit and a delighted smile curved his mouth.

“Oh, you’re going to read the rest of the book?” He asked.

Big Mac chuckled a little. “Eeyup...I really liked it…” Come on, Macintosh. Just ask! Well, what am I gonna say? “Hey, Bright! What do you know about my dead mom?” He fought with himself.

“I’m really glad. It’s a great series! I can’t wait to see how it ends.” Bright scribbled with his quill into a notebook, then stamped the novel before passing it back to Big Mac. That was when Bright saw the ghost stallion from before standing beside his son. He was looking at Big Mac with a puzzled and concerned expression before he looked at Bright. Their gazes locked for a couple seconds, then the ghost looked around the vicinity before turning back to Bright.

“...Can you...see me?” He asked with a strong country accent, only his voice was lighter than his Big Mac’s heavy bass.

“...Are ya alright, Bright?” Big Mac asked. He looked at Bright, with slight confusion.

“E-Er...Yeah! Yeah, just fine.” Bright answered back to him, nodding rather hard as he shifted his sight back to the ghost.

“What are ya looking at…?” Big Mac turned his head around to see whatever Bright was seeing.

“N-Nothing! Just...thought I saw something…A-Anyway, enjoy the book!” Bright quickly dismissed as he nudged the book closer to Big Mac.

“Really? You can see me!? Aw, shucks! Maybe you can help me!” The stallion grinned widely as he leaned over the desk, almost in Bright’s face. Bright flinched and moved a bit away for some breathing room.

“Wait...I wanted to ask ya something.” Big Mac searched for the words to say, rattling his brain. Usually, he was too good at getting straight to the point whenever he wanted to speak, but for some reason, with Bright, he felt afraid that he might upset him, like back at the coffee shop. Still, Big Mac wanted to know whatever Bright knew. He mustered his courage. ”I...uh...Do ya know anything about somepony named Buttercup or Pear Butter?”

“U-Uh...Can you hold that thought, Big Mac? I gotta...go to the bathroom!” Bright excused himself as he got up from his seat and swiftly galloped out of the library.

“A...Alright…” Big Mac blinked. Ah wasn’t expecting that response...Bright...are you hidin’ something…? He pondered while he waited.

Bright cantered out into the castle halls searching for a quiet spot to be alone. He didn’t hear Big Mac’s question. His mind was more occupied on the ghost that followed him into the nearest restroom. Bright locked the door to ensure privacy so that he could talk freely.

“Gosh, I’m sorry about the bother, fella.” The stallion apologized, rubbing the back of his head. “Guess I didn’t think that seein’ a pony talk to a ghost might not look normal for most folk.”

“It’s alright. You’re not the first.” Bright have a short chuckle as he leaned on the sink and started the water to wash his hooves. “You’re Big Mac’s dad, aren’t you? What’s your name?”

“Bright Macintosh Apple. Pleasure to meet ya! And I already know yours, Bright. Ain’t that a coincidence, having the same name?” He grinned. “You can just call me ‘Bright Mac’, if ya like.”

“So what’s your trouble, Bright Mac?” Bright asked.

“It’s my wife. I’ve been lookin’ everywhere for her, but I haven’t seen her in a few days. Maybe you’ve seen her? Her name’s Pear Butter, but I call her my sweet Buttercup.” Bright Mac explained as he gave a small blush that reddened his pale cheeks.

Bright stopped the sink water and dried his hooves with a nearby towel. “Hmm...I don’t think I recognize her name...What does she look like?”

“Aw, she’s got the finest peach colored coat you’d ever see and a cute curly orange mane and tail and...gosh...the prettiest bluish-green eyes, like two pools of water on a sunny summer day. Oh! And she has a jar of pear butter for a cutie mark.” Bright Mac sighed and giggled to himself a bit.

Bright pondered that description for a moment. He was sure that he had seen somepony like that once. He paced around the bathroom, then something clicked.

“Does she have her mane tied up with some green ribbons?” Bright asked.

“She does! So you know where she is!?” Bright Mac leaned in closer to Bright.

“I remember I saw Buttercup in a dream I had a few days ago! Maybe she wandered her way into my sleep.” He chimed, but then his grin faded as quickly as it came. “Buuut, I don’t remember most of the dream now.”

“Ah, dagnabbit!” Bright Mac slumped onto the floor, crossing his hooves. “Pardon my French, Bright. Ain’t there anything you can remember about her?”

Bright sat down and searched his memory as best as he could. “She...She was telling me something about a grand pear in Vanhoover, I think. It was a dream so I don’t think it made much sense.”

“Oh!” Bright Mac sat upright. “Maybe she left to Vanhoover to see her dad and the rest of the Pear Family! Well, she coulda told me back in Apploosa before skedaddling!” He gave a short laugh. “But that’s just like her. Always acting with her heart. That’s what I love about her.”

Bright smiled, happy at the thought of a mare and stallion still completely in love, even in the afterlife. Love. That word only traced him a path back to Big Mac. He shook his head, trying to steer his mind to anything else. “A-Are you and Buttercup mostly attached to your family here?” Bright asked.

“Actually, both of us like to roam around Equestria and visit all branches of the Apple Family. Most of the time we do stay and watch over our kids, but we also like to see how our cousins from all over are doin’.” Bright Mac shared. “Y’know, it’s really nice actually talking to somepony who’s alive. I think we’re gonna be real good friends, Bright. Anyway, I’ve taken up enough o’your time. I should get back to Li’l Mac.”

“It was a pleasure to meet you. I hope you find Buttercup really soon.” Bright wished as he unlocked the bathroom door and proceeded to trot back to the library. Then he remembered that he had left Big Mac waiting at the desk, which made Bright quicken his step. Oh, geez! I’m a bonehead! I’m a bonehead!!! He thought.

When he arrived at his desk, Bright didn’t see Big Mac where he left him. He looked around the library, still full of ponies, but he couldn’t spot a familiar shade of red.

“Are you looking for Big Mac, Bright?” Twilight asked from the nearby desk after passing a book to a stallion.

“Yeah. Do you know where he is?” Bright replied, still looking around while he was worriedly trotting in place.

“I’m sorry, but we had to ask him to leave to give the other ponies in line a chance to see the library.” She apologized.

“Oh...I see.” Bright’s ears drooped flat. I can’t believe I just left him like that...I wonder what he wanted to tell me. He sighed softly, but reassured himself that he’d see Big Mac again. Though, he did worry if he’d be a bit sour when they would meet. Regardless, Bright still had to get back to his work. He sat down and continued where he left off.

However, he couldn’t shake Big Mac from his mind.


The sun was long gone by the time Bright and Twilight closed the library for the day. The grand opening was wonderfully busy, but Bright was also glad to be done for the day. He stepped outside of the castle and looked up at a clear dark purple sky, dotted with a treasure trove of twinkling stars. A warm feeling embraced him, despite the evening chill, and he grew excited, longing to get home quickly and set up his telescope.

Without further thought, he began his brisk trot home, passing by the familiar town. Hearth’s Warming Eve was only two days away, so everypony was busy in the streets making their last-minute-shopping stops. Bright thought about what he might do when the holiday came. Maybe I’ll just spend the day in town. Twilight did say that there would be a festival going on.

As he walked, Bright soon saw the apple stand as he walked through the market and there was Big Mac, hooking up to his cart as he closed for the day.

“Big Mac!” Bright called.

The farmer turned his head and saw his friend trotting up to him.

“Bright…” Big Mac’s eyes widened a bit and grew a smile on his face. Seeing that gave Bright great relief about how they left off earlier.

“I’m really sorry about how I disappeared at the library today.” He apologized. “I didn’t know that you’d have to leave so soon.”

“S’alright…” Big Mac nodded. “Wanna walk?” He asked, gesturing to their usual route home.

“Of course.” Bright grinned.

The both of them started down the road, side by side. The air was cool, the ground under their hooves was mostly dry, and all was quiet and calm. In fact, it was unusually quiet for a good while. Bright would usually start leading a conversation at this point. Big Mac glanced his way and saw his head was turned away, but his ears were folded flat. He wanted to speak up and ask, but again, like earlier, he couldn’t work up anything to say in his head. It was like anything he thought of to ask would just sound stupid. Big Mac softly groaned in self-frustration.

“Something wrong, Big Mac…?” Bright asked, turning his head to him.

Aw, hay! Was Ah that loud? “N-Nothin’...”

“Is there something on your mind?”

“I...well...” Big Mac hesitated. His heart pounded as his gaze rested solely on Bright. The way his mane was neatly curving ever so slightly above his heterochromatic eyes. How starlight glistened against the cobalt and amethyst hues of his irises. The slight twitch of his torn ear. Just...all of Bright was a sight that Big Mac froze up over. He shook his head.

“Argh...I jus’ don’t get it, Bright.” He growled. “I look at you and I can’t think of what the hay to say. There’s somethin’ about ya that I jus’ can’t figure out.”

Bright didn’t understand what Big Mac meant. He raised a brow in question. Big Mac took a breath and looked down at his hooves as he walked. His stomach lurched, like it was twisted and tied up in knots. He remembered his father and some of his words of advice from years past.

“Be brave, be strong, and speak your mind, son. It ain’t ever a shame to be honest.”

Big Mac slowed his walk to a halt, digging his hoof a bit into the ground.

“I...I like ya, Bright…” He finally spoke.

Bright stopped and blinked. He turned to face Mac directly. “What do you mean…?”

“I mean, like, you’re my friend, but also like...like I care about you as more than a friend.” Big Mac could swear his chest was making his whole body rock. “You’re...great...and I like being around ya.”

Bright stared blankly at Big Mac. Is this real…? Am I dreaming? Does he really like me...that way? He thought. He wanted to say something, but now he couldn’t find the words. He only stared in disbelief, like the impossible suddenly became possible.

“...But there’s something that was buggin’ me over the weekend.” Big Mac continued. “When you were sick, you were mumblin’ things in your sleep. I-I just wanna know...Do you know anything about a mare named Buttercup? Or Pear Butter?” He pleaded.

Bright snapped out of his daze when the question was asked. He knows about the dream? I guess...I must’ve been sleep talking when Buttercup came...But I can’t tell him anything about her. OR his dad or anything about ghosts. What’s he gonna think!? It didn’t feel good at all to lie to Big Mac, but Bright knew he had to if he wanted to look sane. He bit his lower lip, thinking of a proper answer.

“I-I’m sorry, Big Mac...but I don’t know anything about your mom.”

“How did ya know Buttercup was my mom…?”

A frigid chill fell upon the both of them. Bright’s muscles tensed up so hard that thought he’d twist them. Sweet Luna have mercy… “Didn’t...you mention it before?” He tried to play it off.

Big Mac looked at Bright, puzzled. The mystery about him just ran even deeper. “No, Bright...I ain’t ever said nothin’ to you about her before.”

Bright trembled a bit, like an icy knife was prodding his back. He wished to Celestia that he could just disappear, right then and there, because everything was crumbling to bits.

“Were you tryin’ to lie to me, Bright?” Big Mac‘s gaze sharpened into a glare. His voice raised, with a heavy tone of indignation, almost anger. “‘Cause let me tell you somethin’. I ain’t got no respect for anypony who’s dishonest or deceivin’.”

Bright winced from the sting of hearing Big Mac so aggravated. He wanted to tell him the truth. The whole truth. But, he didn’t know if it would be enough. He didn’t know if Big Mac would accept it.

Big Mac paused. He took a deep breath and let out a calming sigh. He stared at the pavement under his hooves. “Bright...I wanna believe that you’re my friend. So...will ya jus’...jus’ be totally honest with me? Please?” He looked up, back to Bright, with begging eyes.

Bright struggled to figure out what he should do. Of course, he didn’t want to lose Big Mac’s friendship. Maybe...Maybe he will understand...If he’s really my friend, he’ll understand… He thought. Bright was quiet for a long moment, averting his eyes from Big Mac as he mustered up every ounce of courage he had.

“Alright. Here’s the truth, Big Mac.” He took a breath and checked the street to be sure that they were alone. Then, he looked Big Mac dead in the eye. “I know how crazy this is going to sound, but hear me out. I...I have the ability to see ghosts, or spirits of ponies that have passed on. I’m really sensitive to the presence of ghosts, so the reason why I know your mom is because I saw her in a dream. She must’ve found her way into my sleep that night. I-uh...I don’t remember much about what happened, but I know Buttercup told me that her spirit was going to visit the Pear family before the holidays.”

Big Mac’s face was unreadable, but he continued to listen. Bright found himself shuffling his hooves, dragging them on the road. He was anxious and it showed and he wondered if he should continue with what he saw earlier that morning. “And...just today, I also saw your dad, Bright Macintosh.”

Big Mac recoiled a bit, but he didn’t say anything. He let Bright continue.

“He told me that he lost track of Buttercup a little while ago and he asked me for help. I only told him what I knew. But he and your mom are together and happy.” Bright finished.

Big Mac hadn’t let his eyes off of him the whole time. To Bright, the scariest thing about the past minute was that he didn’t know what Big Mac thought about this whole thing. He couldn’t tell at all what he was feeling and that terrified him. Then, Big Mac stepped closer to Bright and stood, face-to-face, directly in front of him. Bright bit his lip and shut his eyes tight, preparing himself for whatever horrible thing Big Mac was going to say.

But then, he felt a hoof on his forehead. He opened his eyes and looked up at Big Mac. His face showed concern as he was checking Bright for a fever.

“...Big Mac? What are you doing?” Bright asked.

“Are ya feelin’ okay, Bright?” Big Mac didn’t feel any extreme warmth on Bright’s head, but he moved his fetlock over to his cheek just to be sure. “You ain’t sick…and I still don’t get how ya found out about my mom and dad.”

Bright furrowed his brows. His heart sank in his chest and embarrassment began to set in. He hated it. It was a feeling that was all too familiar and he loathed it. “I just told you how. I saw them.” He repeated, with a subtle irritation in his voice.

“You takin’ anything strong?” Big Mac asked.

“Big Mac, I’m fine!” Bright snarled as he stepped back and away from him, his face burning red under his fur. “I’m not sick! I’m not on any drugs! I know what I saw! I. Saw. Your parents!”

Big Mac was taken aback from such a reaction from Bright. However, he quickly retorted. “Bright, listen to yourself! You’re talkin’ fiddle faddle about ghosts and disrespectin’ my family’s personal matters by meddlin’ with the memory of my parents! At first, I thought you knew something about my mom in life, but now I know that, somehow, you’re sneakin’ and snoopin’ where you ain’t welcome! It’s sick, Bright!” He bellowed as he stomped his hoof in a fury.

Bright flinched, but Big Mac’s accusatory words ignited a raging fire from deep inside of him. All of his frustrations and resentment of the past manifested as he spoke. “You know what, Big Mac? I’m so tired of having to explain myself to ponies like you: the closed-minded ones, the ponies who think they know everything about how the world works. Let me tell you something.” Bright had a sharp, steely glare burning ferocity into Big Mac’s soul. At the same time, he dug the tip of his hoof against the farmer’s chest.

“I’ve seen for myself that there’s something beyond death. I’ve seen ponies so broken after losing someone so dear, when in reality, the ponies they loved never left their side. I’ve seen my own mother, and she’s been dead ever since I was born! If what I see doesn’t fit with the world you live in, then I don’t want to be a part of it. So do us both a favor. Stay away from me if you think I’m so crazy and don’t bother talking to me again.” He spat with venom.

And with a bitter scowl and misty eyes, Bright turned around and started into a trot. I’m never gonna bucking take anymore of this bull again! He burnt the bridge he built and didn’t bother to look back.


When Bright entered his home, he slammed the door shut. He stomped his hoof on the hardwood floor multiple times in heated rage before throwing his saddle bag across the living room. He heard the flutter of pages from a couple books that fell out and the clattering of some pencils and quills. There was a high chance his inkwell spilt in his bag, but Bright was too fuming to even care. Then everything went silent. The only thing Bright could hear was his heaving breaths before they broke down into whimpering sobs. He backed against the front door and slid down onto his flanks, head hung low and streams racing down his cheeks.

“Bright…?” Came Ivory’s gentle call. Bright looked up and saw her drifting toward him, concern clear on her face. “What happened? Are you okay?”

“...N...No…” Bright struggled to speak through his tight throat.

Ivory sat herself next to Bright. It was the first time in a long time that she had seen Bright this way and she could only wish that she could wrap her hooves around her best friend for a hug. Instead, she rested her head against his shoulder.

“...Do you wanna talk about it…?” She asked.

Bright sniffled and wiped his eyes with his forelegs as best as he could. “Big...Big Mac isn’t my friend anymore…” Just talking about it made him tremor for more breath

“What? Why?” Ivory lifted her head to look at Bright, shocked.

He made a bigger effort to try and calm enough to speak clearly. “Things happened...I tried to tell him that I could see ghosts, but...he didn’t believe me. I thought he, of all ponies, would be the one to understand…Shows how stupid I am. No one ever does.” Bright hit his forehead with his hoof a couple times, frustrated with himself for being too trusting.

“Bright, you’re not stupid…” Ivory consoled.

Bright bitterly chuckled through his tears. “A-And you wanna know the worst part? I think...he really did like me. I could’ve had a chance, but I blew it…” He slumped as he sat, tormented and broken-hearted. “I wish I never had that bucking accident.”

Ivory’s expression soured. She hated seeing Bright like this. She stayed with him, shaken and agitated that he should continue to be outcast for something outside his control.

Enough’s enough. She thought. You deserve so much better, Bright.