• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 863 Views, 14 Comments

A Hearth's Warming Carol - Bookworm24

  • ...
1
 14
 863

Scrooged

"Do I look like I care if you miss the city carriage?" The white unicorn asked the maid who was currently polishing an oak desk in the prince's office.

"But your highness, If I miss the carriage I wont be able to pick up my son from daycare before they close." Spicken Span pleaded. "Besides, It's Hearth's Warming Eve."

Prince Blueblood glared at her upon her mention of the upcoming holiday. "What did I say about mentioning that day?" He asked Spicken with coldness in his eyes.

"Never to?"

"Right." Blueblood said as he glared at her. "Besides, the carriage won't arrive for a couple of hours. You have plenty of time!"

Spicken Span had been working for Blueblood for the past three years and she knew he was always the nastiest around Hearth's Warming. "Once you finish the desk, Dust and pollish the bookcase then get out!" He said turning back to the paperwork in front of him. Despite being a prince, Celestia informed him that if he wished to remain in the castle he would have to do some form of royal duty that required paperwork. Lately he was working on the tax forms of public companies.


After about an hour Blueblood heard a soft a soft knocking on the office door and he gave a short grumble.

"Enter!" He commanded. as the door opened he saw a soft pink familiar smiling face poke in.

"Knockaty knock knock knock, Blue!" Princess Cadence said in a sweet sing-song voice. "Happy Hearth's Warming!"

Blueblood cringed a little at the mention of the holiday greeting. "Hello Cadence. How are you doing?" He asked with little actual interest as his only cousin entered his office and walked up to his desk.

"I'm doing very well. How about you?"

"I'm fine." Blueblood said flatly.

"You don't look it. Whats wrong Blue?"

"I'm just under a lot of stress dealing with work and royal duties and certain ponies who just can't do their jobs like they're supposed to" he said stealing a quick glance at Spicken. "Is there a reason you came here?"

"Actually yes!!" She said perking up. "I came here to see if you wanted to come and dine with me tomorrow!"

"Just you?" He said raising an eyebrow.

"Not just me but my husband Shining Armor and his family at their house."

Blueblood gave a short chuckle. "Why ever did you get married?"

"Because I fell in love!" Cadence said while chuckling.

"Love!? That's the only thing in Equestria more ridiculous than Hearth's Warming!"

Cadence was in slight shock. "Surly you don't mean that!"

"I do dear cousin."

"But Blue..." She said gently reaching a hoof towards him.

"But nothing Cadence." He said swating her hoof away. "You keep Hearth's Warming your way and let me keep it my way."

"But you don't keep it at all!" she said looking a little hurt.

"Let me leave it alone, then. What good has it done for any of us?"

"What good has it done for any of us!?" Cadence could barely believe her ears. "Why its the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when stallions and mares seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely and to think of ponies below them as if they really were not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, dear cousin, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, bless it!"

Blueblood realized he had no reasonable answer to her long winded statement so he just grunted and said "Bah".

Princess Cadence knew it was no use trying to argue with her cousin so she sighed before asking "Does this mean your not coming to dinner tomorrow?"

Blueblood looked back at the paperwork on his desk. "I'm sorry to disappoint you Cadence but I'll have to decline. Now if you would be so kind, I have work to do. Good day."

"But Blue, we've never done anything together since we were foals."

"And stop with the nicknames. I'm Blueblood, Not Blue!"

Cadence's face fell. "But, I've always called you blue and you've always called me Caddie"

Bluelood looked up from his desk and glared at Cadence. "And since then we grew up. Good day."

"I don't want anything from you Blueblood. I just want to be friends again."

"I said good day." Blueblood simply said.

Cadence sighed in defeat and headed towards the door, but before she left the room she looked back at her cousin and said " I don't even know if you care but you'll always be my favorite cousin." Blueblood went to look at her but she had already shut the door once again leaving him to his work.


After about half an hour Spicken Span had finished her work. "I'm all finished your highness." she said.

"And you'll want all day tomorrow, I suppose?" said Blueblood as he once again glared at her.

"Well it is a national holiday, after all."

"And I'm guessing you also want to be paid for tomorrow too right?"

Spicken Span didn't know how to answer the prince's question without repercussions so she just looked at her hooves.

Blueblood just sighed and looked back at the paper in front of him. "It's a poor excuse for picking a stallion's pocket every twenty-fifth of December! But I suppose you must have the whole day. Be here all the earlier next morning, you hear me."

Spicken was overjoyed. "Oh thank you Prince Blueblood! Thank you!" Spicken Span then fled the office in a heartbeat leaving Blueblood alone with his work.


The sun had started to sink beneath the horizon as the moon rose rather wobbly(which meant that Luna had gotten into the spiked eggnog) and Blueblood had finished his work. After filing his papers and re-shelving his books, he left his office and headed towards his sleeping chambers only to come face to face with a pair of well dressed stallions. Both of then smiled at Bluelood before the taller one spoke.

"Good evening your highness. As you can tell, we are from the Ponies of Good Will charity association. At this festive season of the year, it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many are in want of common necessaries; and even more are in want of common comforts. Would you be willing to make a donation?"

"No" Blueblood simply said.

"But your highness, these donations will go towards helping those who aren't as fortunate as you and I. A few of us are endeavoring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some food and drink and means of warmth."

"Are there no poor houses or union workhouses?" Blueblood simply asked.

"Yes your highness, there are."

"Well then, why doesn't the poor just go there." Blueblood said not really asking.

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Blueblood, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. I said no sirs. You asked if I wanted to make a donation and that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Hearth's Warming and I don't intend to make idle ponies merry. That is all I have to say on the matter, so good evening sirs."

Blueblood walked past the gentleponies and continued to his sleeping chambers. Halfway through the castle he came upon Princess Celestia who was talking with one of the guards about the upcoming festivities. "Don't worry. I have it all taken care of. Happy Hearth's Warming Ironside." After Ironside left, Celestia turned towards Blueblood.

"Prince Blueblood, how are you this evening?"

"I'm doing well Auntie, and you?"

"Very well. Thank you." She then sighed. "I have been hearing some disturbing news regarding your treatment of other ponies."

Blueblood acted surprised. "I don't know what your talking about."

Celestia sighed again before continuing. "Blueblood, I implore you to please treat other ponies with respect and kindness."

"I do." Blueblood lied.

"Good." Celestia said. "You wouldn't want the spirits after you would you?"

"Spirits?" Blueblood asked.

Celestia cleared her throat and started reciting a poem from long ago.

If one who's heart Hearth's Warming isn't in.

On the eve the spirits visits shall begin.

Past Present Future is where they shall go.

And onto the sinner his sins they will show.

Blueblood just rolled his eyes and waved his hoof. "Oh auntie, that's just an old mares tale. It's just told to young foals to make them behave."

Celestia shook her head and said "I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it Blueblood. It happened to my sister Luna once many years ago." Celestia then started walking down the hall. "Heed my warning, be nice or else!"

Blueblood shook his head and continued towards his room. "It's just a stupid old poem." He thought to himself. Once he entered his room he closed the window, changed into his nightshirt, prepared his bed, and soon fell asleep unaware that in a few moments somepony would enter his room in a flash of white light and take him on a magical journey.