• Published 17th Sep 2020
  • 353 Views, 14 Comments

Tales Untold - ArgonMatrix



Everyone is the star of their own story, but not every story gets told. Take a quick look away from the action, though, and you might catch a glimpse of something special.

  • ...
0
 14
 353

I. All Good Things

Even though she was almost too exhausted to think, Cadance smiled. It probably had something to do with lying in a gorgeous, windswept field not too far from her hometown, a place she had so rarely seen since becoming a princess. Having her two best foalhood friends next to her didn’t hurt either, nor did being able to rest her head on the coziest, most handsome pillow in the world, also known as Shining Armor.

Everypony except Cadance had fallen asleep within the past hour, but she didn’t mind. Just having all of them together was better than anything she could have dreamed.

And in a few minutes, when the sun finally rose, her perfect little picture would be complete. Every sunrise felt like Auntie Celestia smiling down and wishing her good morning. To have her be a part of this moment, even from half a world away, would be the cherry on top of her sappy sundae.

It had been nearly a full year since Cadance had begun her sabbatical, and she had never once regretted it. Sure, she had a laundry list of things she missed from Equestria, but she had an equally long list of stressors and issues that had made her leave in the first place: her identity crises, constantly being compared—and mostly deemed inferior—to Celestia, the nightmares, the bleak years spent getting over her first love…

Best not to think about all that.

She wrapped her wing tighter around Shiny. At least there was one thing she didn’t have to miss anymore.

He had shown up earlier that week to surprise her, and he couldn’t have come at a better time. With the Summer Sun Celebration coming up, she had been feeling more homesick than ever. And while a small part of her wondered whether it was smart for the captain of the Royal Guard to be absent for such a monumental occasion—it was the thousandth year, after all—every other part of her melted at the chance to see him and smell him and hug him and kiss him and just love him. The letters had been nice, but they could never compare to the real thing.

She snuggled deeper into his mane, resting her sleepy eyes on the horizon. She began to wonder if she’d misjudged when the sunrise would be, since there still weren’t any traces of light, but it didn’t matter. Whenever Auntie decided to raise the sun, Cadance would finally close her eyes and preserve this memory forever. Nothing could spoil this moment.

“Any minute now…”